Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yay! Welcome to my state! Glad you got to enjoy the nice weather. It's astounding how hot it gets up there in the summer, but it's been hotter than usual in the last month.

This weekend it's gonna rain, so I'm going camping.

Don't ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Fuuuuck that makes me want to do some dual sport camping.

How was the KLR on those tires? (distanzias?)

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I'm actually headed out that way again this weekend too. Rain be damned! I'm pretty sure as long as I'm able to ride and my bike is running, I'll be in the woods. I have effectively combined two of my favorite past times.

I'm not exactly sure what tires he was running but he was really surprised at how well they were hooking up on the dirt. He did wash out once and lowside, but he admittedly was being a jackass and came in a corner hot.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Got real soggy this weekend riding and camping up and around Mt. Hood again. Didn't take many pictures due to the production of removing my camera or phone from the depths of my waterproof luggage. Even though we got dumped on, it was still so much fun.

Only pic that I snagged. Just look at that view! Bonus points if you can spot my friend on the cliff's edge.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ant mouth posted:

Got real soggy this weekend riding and camping up and around Mt. Hood again. Didn't take many pictures due to the production of removing my camera or phone from the depths of my waterproof luggage. Even though we got dumped on, it was still so much fun.

Only pic that I snagged. Just look at that view! Bonus points if you can spot my friend on the cliff's edge.

Is your friend a tree?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Trees are friends to all :unsmith:

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Went out again this weekend and explored around the Southern part of Mt. Hood National Forest. Went to check out the trails at one of the only open OHV areas but had a hard time finding any decent ones. It's a relatively new OHV spot and seems really spread out. In the process of searching for trails, we found this awesome little fishing hole and spent some time trying to tease tiny rainbow trout out while eating lunch. I want to head back sans gear because we did find some really fun/scary looking hill climbs. Did get to use my new MSR Whisperlite Universal camp stove and it's pretty drat awesome using unleaded gas to cook your dinner.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
There's a mountaineering club here in Chicago that makes bi-weekly trips up to Wisconsin to climb. Yesterday I ordered some inexpensive soft bags, tank bag, tent and sleeping bag. The tent and bag already arrived today, now I just want to set them up in the living room like a little kid.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That was the first thing I did :v:

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

ant mouth posted:

Went out again this weekend and explored around the Southern part of Mt. Hood National Forest. Went to check out the trails at one of the only open OHV areas but had a hard time finding any decent ones. It's a relatively new OHV spot and seems really spread out. In the process of searching for trails, we found this awesome little fishing hole and spent some time trying to tease tiny rainbow trout out while eating lunch. I want to head back sans gear because we did find some really fun/scary looking hill climbs. Did get to use my new MSR Whisperlite Universal camp stove and it's pretty drat awesome using unleaded gas to cook your dinner.

Urgh I need to hurry up and move already. This is exactly how I want to spend my weekends.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dutymode posted:

There's a mountaineering club here in Chicago that makes bi-weekly trips up to Wisconsin to climb. Yesterday I ordered some inexpensive soft bags, tank bag, tent and sleeping bag. The tent and bag already arrived today, now I just want to set them up in the living room like a little kid.

Where in Sconnie do you go climbing?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Gorson posted:

Where in Sconnie do you go climbing?

I haven't been yet out there yet, but I guess they go to Devil's Lake. Nothing's bolted, they just top rope there.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Did a ~1000-mile trip from around Portland to the coast, then inland to Crater Lake, then down to Yreka, CA, then back up the coast.

The beach was glorious. We don't always go in the summer because it's usually so tourist-clogged, but gently caress it, this time we're tourists, so we did it.

On the way to Crater Lake, and of course our entire route from the coast and down was in ~*Wildfire mode*~ so I may have chosen poorly, but whatever. You can see the smoke haze in the background.

Went down to Yreka and spent the night at the Trees of Heaven campground. A+++ for hammock camping, it's also a really pretty spot with a river running next to it. F---- for the number of loud fart-trucks that passed by during the night with their brakes a-farting, but it wasn't too bad.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Looks like a good time! What hammocks are those + how do you like em?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Hennessey Hammocks, and we love 'em. It was awesome, there was an old guy at the campground with one, too. I guess he lived closeby, and was trying out a bunch of camping gear.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Goon Motocamping - Two guys in the woods hanging with bottom entry

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
P. sure Lynza is female but don't blow her cover

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Hit Boston today. Halfway through a 2-week coast-to-coast roundtrip on a stock-ish CBR300R. Dispersed/improv camping every night except one. Lessons:

-Hammocks are baller. National forests are baller.
-Upgrade your seat.
-Upgrade your seat.
-I apparently did one of the ironman challenges, without realizing? This is likely attributable to A) an impromptu stop to get noise-canceling earbuds for audiobooks, and B) the southern midwest being boring as poo poo. Literally, in the case of Kansas.
-Being landlocked is usually a worrying indicator, but western Colorado was amazing.
-It turns out speeding tickets in non-CA states are like 90 bucks? I knew there had to be a karmic price somewhere for legal lane splitting.
-I was feeling pretty pleased with myself, until I met a guy doing the same thing I was. On a bicycle. In a good day, he covers 90 miles.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 27, 2015

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Holy poo poo yes to the new seat thing. It's funny, as long as I stand up (or post up a little) for just a minute or so, the rear end pain goes away. I am looking into making my own seat if I can.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Agreed on the seat, I threw one of those ATV seat pads on for my trip down from Alaska. It only helped for the first day and a half. Definitely going to drop the money on a Corbin or something similar before my next long trip.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
going on an 1100mi trip to deathvalley, racetrack playa, and the ancient pine forest this next weekend. Going to be awesome. :D

My poor poor rear end, and that poor poor drz.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Took a friday off of work two weeks ago and went riding through the Mt. Hood and Willamette National Forests with a friend. I've included the google maps links that I used to plot the course that I plugged into basecamp. If anyone wants the actual route that I made for my gps, just PM me and I can shoot it your way. This was my first time making and plugging a route into my garmin. I found out that there is still a whole lot of wiggle room between what exists digitally and what roads are actually there. It made it much more interesting.

If you're in the area and have a dual sport, go ride Barlow rd. It was/is the last stretch of the Oregon Trail and has a lot of fun features to play on. I really want to ride it again and head back down to the Ollalie Lake area while there are still fall colors.

Routes:

PDX to Detroit Lake:
https://goo.gl/maps/JJoNLCRa4HM2

Detroit Lake to Olallie Lakes:
https://goo.gl/maps/teJur7YSXzQ2

Olallie to Government Camp
https://goo.gl/maps/VYNGVt6zuZU2

Govt to Barlow to Bennet
https://goo.gl/maps/vFuynvxCByM2

Here's a few phone pictures my friend took and instagrammed up:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
How were the roads? Ok for Ewan and Charlie?

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

How were the roads? Ok for Ewan and Charlie?

The roads were dirt, gravel, and in some parts nothing but fist sized rocks. Any dual sport or adv bike could do it. It got a little more fun when we went off the route and had to hop fallen trees. Turns out that if there's obstacles, it's likely a dead end.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
If the weather forecast holds up, I'll be riding down from Chicago to the Red River Gorge Wednesday and coming back Sunday to climb with friends. This'll be my first time motorcycle camping and easily the farthest I've ridden in one day. Kinda nervous.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Don't sweat it, just enjoy the ride and take a break every hour or so.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Dutymode posted:

If the weather forecast holds up, I'll be riding down from Chicago to the Red River Gorge Wednesday and coming back Sunday to climb with friends. This'll be my first time motorcycle camping and easily the farthest I've ridden in one day. Kinda nervous.

Please tell me you're camping out at Miguel's pizza in the RRG. That place is the best.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's a decent ride for a day but doable. There are some nice roads down there as well but I figure you'd be mostly climbing with your time.

I've been many times over the years and never been to Miguels. Climber hangout and we're usually cheap camping at cooking ourselves.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I made it back yesterday from Kentucky. I left Tuesday evening, so I split the trip down, 70+ degrees. I met up with some friends and stayed at Miguel's for a couple great days of climbing. The weather changed Friday night, maybe 55 for the high on the trip back. The ride home was pretty miserable. Overall it was a fun trip, but I don't think I'd do it on the 250 again.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Has anyone camped in Death Valley or somewhere near there? I want to go from Phoenix to Death Valley, about 417 miles/6:45 each way. Don't think it's a good idea to go there and back in one day, including the time spent exploring and poo poo, so I figured I'd go and camp somewhere and head back the next day. Anyone have a recommendation for that area? I want to be able to look at the stars and stuff, so I'd want to camp where it is dark and not polluted with light.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Sounds scary, if you do do it be sure to take lots of pictures of the wasteland

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Joshua tree is nice and I guess it's not that far away.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

ant mouth posted:

Here's a few phone pictures my friend took and instagrammed up:

Goddamnit I need to move

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Joshua tree is nice and I guess it's not that far away.

Joshua tree is gorgeous and totally worth the trip. Especially in the spring when they bloom.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yerok posted:

Goddamnit I need to move

Same

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've camped a little north of Death Valley (mt Whitney area) and it's really gorgeous. I recommend just going on the National Park Service website and browsing for any one of the zillions of NPS campgrounds that can be had for $5-$20 a night. 5 dollars gets you a site and a potable water tap somewhere; 20 usually gets you flush toilets, hot showers, electric power, a little general store, firewood and other amenities. California also has a similar website system for state parks. I've stayed in both, and the state parks are usually less consistent in quality (e.g. the sites may be less nicely groomed, likely to be fewer hippies doing yoga and more bros having bonfires) but they're fine.

This time of year there'll be almost no one at either kind, though, so you should have your pick of locations and sites within them.

E: recreation.gov is the site I'm thinking of

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 25, 2015

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Don't let your tent blow away!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Schroeder91 posted:

Has anyone camped in Death Valley or somewhere near there? I want to go from Phoenix to Death Valley, about 417 miles/6:45 each way. Don't think it's a good idea to go there and back in one day, including the time spent exploring and poo poo, so I figured I'd go and camp somewhere and head back the next day. Anyone have a recommendation for that area? I want to be able to look at the stars and stuff, so I'd want to camp where it is dark and not polluted with light.

I don't have much experience with Death Valley but ask cursedshitbox, he goes there all the time. I think you'd have a pretty hard time finding any place that's not dark as gently caress at night. The NPS campsite page for Death Valley will give you some starters. I have a friend who loves Mahogany Flats. It's 8200 elevation so it'll be cold as poo poo this time of year.

Mojave and areas around is significantly closer to you as well, and has a ton of awesome outback territory and camping areas. I'm always a fan of staying in BLM land because it's basically as unrestricted as you can get when it comes to picking your own campsite and doing what you want. It's a little tough finding good BLM boundary maps online, but I've found National Geographic and Tom Harrison paper maps to be pretty reliable (both available at REI and better outdoorsy stores). You can also order Land Management or Topo maps for various regions from the BLM via the phone in our modern 2016 times :o:

On the subject of maps; if you're bringing an ipad/tablet I love GaiaGPS. It lets you select a custom grid to save locally and use when you're out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service - you can save a Google Sat layer, a USGS topo layer, or others, and even if your device doesn't have a 4g data plan you can still use GPS to pinpoint yourself on the presaved grid. It's money when you're out in the middle of nowhere at some unknown fork in the road - just load up the satellite image layer and see where your options lead!
Do not rely on this over paper maps and basic compass knowledge!!! I always take at least one paper map of the area, plus a self-printed satellite area photo and a good compass, because batteries get weird in the cold and dust. Never underestimate the remoteness of places like Death Valley just because it is a National Park - poo poo like this does happen!

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Don't let your tent blow away!

I spent a night in the Mojave right after Christmas - around 9pm the wind got gnarly so I parked the Jeep directly next to the tent upwind and lashed them together at multiple points. By morning I still had one snapped tent pole and several bent ones :ohdear: It was awesome.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 13, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Never underestimate the remoteness of places like Death Valley just because it is a National Park - poo poo like this does happen!

Jeez that's grim. Always seems to be Germans too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I bought me some new poo poo to wear when I get wherever I'm going that day. I went with multifunctional, light and warm if needed. Yes, it's a zip off pants, but no need to bring separate shorts in the summer overrides that.

Devold Optimum wool jacket, North Face Paramount peak II pants.

• Locked thread