Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Those look pretty good for zip-off, though. Not super dorky like a lot of the ones I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I got em both in the mail yesterday, they both look okay but the leg bottoms on the pants are ridiculously wide, zero taper below the knee. As I should have spotted from the images.. They're the right size in the rear end area and as shorts so I'll just get the zip-off legs sewn in a little. If they're still hosed up I'll just use them as shorts.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
First camping trip of the year! Went to a beautiful little spot in northern Georgia called Tallulah Falls. Weather was fantastic at about 70F with a constant breeze and bright shining sun.

Staging! The DRZ was screaming the entire way with all that extra weight. The bright side is that while saddled up, I ripped and held the sickest wheelies I've ever done in my life. :krad:

True 1%ers

Made it on location! That's a Henessey Hammock hex fly rain tarp and underneath is a dutchware double layered nylon hammock with bugnet, the double layer is nice because you can insert the pad between layers and it doesn't need readjustment during the night. Not exactly primitive camping lol, lots of electricity and water

Toasty!

In NC we found something called Bridal Veil Falls, it was pretty cool.

My little brother trying to be cool

Waxing artistic

That sums up my feelings about motorcycling pretty succinctly.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm loading up the tuono next weekend for a little motocamping trip in the ny/pa area. Anyone know of any good spots? Basically anywhere within 2-5ish hours of the nyc area would be solid. The more primitive the better. Was gonna do solo but If anyone wants to tag along that would be cool as well!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://freecampsites.net is a good hopping off point if you don't get any local info, but you have to do your homework on the sites to make sure they're legit.

also they list like wal marts n poo poo too so you gotta filter that crap out.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Voltage posted:

I'm loading up the tuono next weekend for a little motocamping trip in the ny/pa area. Anyone know of any good spots? Basically anywhere within 2-5ish hours of the nyc area would be solid. The more primitive the better. Was gonna do solo but If anyone wants to tag along that would be cool as well!

You can camp in the Adirondacks as long as it's "150ft from a water body, road, or trail, unless the area is posted as "Camping Prohibited."
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41282.html

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm posting this inside a tent somewhere along Kootenay Lake in the middle of British Columbia, in the middle of a thunderstorm. Dry as a bone. Unlike the v-strom, which is wet as an alive bone. God I hope I don't ever gently caress this tent up, MEC stopped making it

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Good man keep them bones dry

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Phy posted:

God I hope I don't ever gently caress this tent up, MEC stopped making it

Well, look on the bright side, it would be a great excuse to ditch the tent and upgrade to hammock :v:

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
First time poster long time time lerker

Just got back from 4 days in the South Island of NZ.

Camping was good, although Lewis Pass was MIGHTY cold and damp.

Kaikoura
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place...X9UDaYQ_BIIejAK

shitttt I wish I was back there already!

Deer Valley (Lewis Pass)
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place...3!4d172.4?hl=en

Spent about 2 hours trying to light the fire but ALL the wood I could find was just so soaked from the humidity.

until next time keep the fire burning ya'll!

toot toot! lol

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Nice job goon, I have those same givi bags but the exhaust side one is duct taped cause a giant hole got burned in it when they were empty 😄

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
haha yeah I cheaped out because I didn't want to drop the $ on a pannier frame - when stones and gravel etc gets in between the back-pad and the exhaust it scratches it up something awful but I really don't give a gently caress ;)

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
I'm planning a trip from NY to Alaska and back. I've only been riding for a few years and don't know too much about maintenance/repair beyond the basics, but I think I could work it out.

- Am I going to regret doing it on a DRZ400? I don't know if I'll eventually want something more powerful for the longer stretches of highway

- Any specific mods I should look into? I already have a fairly comfortable seat, a rack, and a phone charger, and the previous owner re-did the suspension.

- Are there any guides for idiots like me? I know there are a lot of blogs/videos of people doing similar trips but I'd rather not watch through hours and hours of video to get a few good pieces of advice.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I will say that if you are doing that long of a stretch, you should bring some extra oil to top it off along the way. The DRZ has a habit of drinking oil when you keep it revving high for a while. Just check the levels every 400-500 miles and top off as necessary probably

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
so long as the typical fixes are done, i wouldnt worry. and yeah, keep an eye on the oil.

E: if you're in the neighborhood of 20k mi, look over your stator. they tend to fail right around then.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 17, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pie Colony posted:

I'm planning a trip from NY to Alaska and back. I've only been riding for a few years and don't know too much about maintenance/repair beyond the basics, but I think I could work it out.

- Am I going to regret doing it on a DRZ400? I don't know if I'll eventually want something more powerful for the longer stretches of highway

- Any specific mods I should look into? I already have a fairly comfortable seat, a rack, and a phone charger, and the previous owner re-did the suspension.

- Are there any guides for idiots like me? I know there are a lot of blogs/videos of people doing similar trips but I'd rather not watch through hours and hours of video to get a few good pieces of advice.

Look at sheep skin covers for your seat. You know, just in case. Do you know how to/have a smaller rear/bigger front sprocket? If you're doing a ton of highway and not much dirt then I would be inclined to change the gearing to reflect that and make it easier to cruise at 75 through the heartland of america (aka poughkeepsie). Do you have GPS?

I would look at advrider, seems like someone on there must have done that. I don't have one readily available.

Think about what replacement parts you'll want to bring. I assume you'll be changing tires? How much dirt are you planning on doing? If a lot, maybe bring wheel bearings. Do your preventative maintenance first, too. Steering bearing, valve check, chain, etc. I suppose all this depends on how mechanically inclined you are and how OK you are with just winging it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hey, I forgot about this thread!

In a similar vein, I'd like to start doing some motocamping next season. I live in VA so the best way to ease in to it would probably be a ride down to the dragon. What I'd specifically want to know is where most people camp when doing trips like that. I'm from europe so I'm used to most land being public property, which is obviously not the case in the states and limits where I can stop overnight. Do most people use koa campgrounds and rv parks and poo poo?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

M42 posted:

Hey, I forgot about this thread!

In a similar vein, I'd like to start doing some motocamping next season. I live in VA so the best way to ease in to it would probably be a ride down to the dragon. What I'd specifically want to know is where most people camp when doing trips like that. I'm from europe so I'm used to most land being public property, which is obviously not the case in the states and limits where I can stop overnight. Do most people use koa campgrounds and rv parks and poo poo?

You can use private campgrounds, but most of those types of places are like summer resorts for people with huge trailers to park year round 2 feet away from other huge trailers. Think trailer park. The best camping is at a county or state park. They are generally kept in very good condition, are reasonably priced, have nice scenery, and have restrictions against general jackassery. America is stupid and dumb for many reasons but our park system is not one of them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Are there enough state parks around that you could find them conveniently on a long trip though?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Depends on the state, up here they are all over the place but if you were going across the country there are likely some lean areas in flyover country and the desert. Glancing at a Virginia map they appear to be concentrated closer to the Appalachians, but there's a good smattering of them across the whole state.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I got away with illegally camping nearby rest stops in some areas of California. It's a lot harder to get away with closer to the coast.

Same goes with parking your car on the side of the road illegally close to the coast. They patrol those areas pretty dang regularly.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Forgot to post pics of my little 1 night solo camping trip up in Roscoe NY -

Loaded up the Tuono to the gills with a shitload of gear just to see what I could carry for a longer trip. Overall a great success. I highly recommend the bio-lite as a camp stove, especially since you can charge up your phone with it in a pinch.
Had to take it on a ~3 mile gravel road with Q3's, actually was fine and kind of fun sliding it out a bit.

The next morning was absolutely pouring rain - kind of a bitch to pack everything up and get going but everything worked out and the ride home ended up clearing up and was dry. Definitely going to take a longer trip this spring to somewhere cool.

Unpacking

Walmart ozark trail 1 person tent, only $50 and stayed dry even in crazy pouring rain

The campsite was absolutely infested with Red Efts/Eastern Newts!

I actually had to completely relocate the fire ring since every single rock had about 3-4 newts underneath!

Found this pretty strange clearing full of cool old dead trees, pretty much all of them were full of carpenter ants:

Hell yeah sausage and peppers

M42
Nov 12, 2012

😍 awesome. That's exactly what I wanna do all next summer.

Didn't know you could camp in state parks. That makes it way easier, since there's shittons all up and down the applachians.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Voltage posted:

Forgot to post pics of my little 1 night solo camping trip up in Roscoe NY -

These are great thanks. I was going to ask what the metal/orange thing is but I figured it out:

https://www.amazon.com/BioLite-BL-CSA-Wood-Burning-Campstove/dp/B00BQHET9O#Ask

What will they think of next. How do you like it?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What bags are those on the Tuono? I can't figure out how I'd secure anything on the back of mine

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The bio lite is really awesome, I've used it a bunch and it produces a super impressive flame since it has a little self charging fan. Only downsides are it's sometimes hard to start the initial fire if you don't have little fire starter pellets or something, and it goes through wood really fast, but it's really good for cooking.

The bags are cortech super 2.0 - fit pretty well on most of my bikes, a little tricky to attach to the tuono but I got them on there good for the trip.

They are pretty durable and come with rain covers. I also have a magnetic tank bag, but now I have a plastic tank so... no go. Tank bag is the best part too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
On my infrequent rides into BC I camp pretty much exclusively in provincial parks. There's been a couple times I've arrived later in the evening and nobody's shown up to collect the overnight fee. Sucks if you want to buy firewood, though. "Vehicle-accessible pads" mean compacted gravel/sand, so drainage is decent but it's no fun at all hammering pegs in.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That was my experience at Buckinghorse River. Didn't bother with fire though.

Extra bonus: watching three BMW riders put covers on their bikes for the night. For some reason it was imperative for three of them to reserve room in their two week Alaska pack for bike covers.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've got a Biolite and I love it. Boils water fast, uses twigs and fallen wood for fuel, and charges stuff by USB.

It's not super small or ultralight, so if that's a concern, it may not be for you. For us, though, bike camping, it's rad.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Do you charge a battery pack with it first and then charge stuff with that? I mean it's 0.4 amp continuous and 0.8 amp peak output, most of my stuff want 1 amp minimum.

I just charge 10k mAh battery banks in my tank bag from the dual usb outlet while I ride. The battery pack makes it easy to top off the tablet/phone in the hammock at night.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 24, 2017

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Supradog posted:

Do you charge a battery pack with it first and then charge stuff with that? I mean it's 0.4 amp continuous and 0.8 amp peak output, most of my stuff want 1 amp minimum.

I just charge 10k mAh battery banks in my tank bag from the dual usb outlet while I ride. The battery pack makes it easy to top off the tablet/phone in the hammock at night.

Yeah, at this point we have so many batteries it's almost moot. I usually plug one of the chargers into the stove while we're cooking dinner. It's a bit of a top-off if we're just boiling water for dehydrated stuff. You can also pre-charge the stove so it's got a full charge before you leave, which is cool.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Yeah i had a huge battery pack the last time but I guess the bio lite would be a lifesaver in a real survival situation.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Hi, new to the thread and to motocamping too, and looking for some gear for the coming season. Mainly I was looking for some cooking and stove set and I've got quite an hardon for the Biolite thingy. Looking around in the wood-fired and the gas/fuel free ones I put the Pathfinder bottle and nesting cup set in the cart but can't really decide me. Both the biolite and the pathfinder are awesome but it's really a one person set, meaning that even making a rice or pasta for 2 requires a different pot and I'm not sure they can boil 2 or more liters of water. Any suggest?

Fake ps: nice to see a Tuono in the thread, Aprilia Shiver owner here and loving every single bit and bolt of it :heysexy:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

froody guy posted:

Hi, new to the thread and to motocamping too, and looking for some gear for the coming season. Mainly I was looking for some cooking and stove set and I've got quite an hardon for the Biolite thingy. Looking around in the wood-fired and the gas/fuel free ones I put the Pathfinder bottle and nesting cup set in the cart but can't really decide me. Both the biolite and the pathfinder are awesome but it's really a one person set, meaning that even making a rice or pasta for 2 requires a different pot and I'm not sure they can boil 2 or more liters of water. Any suggest?

Fake ps: nice to see a Tuono in the thread, Aprilia Shiver owner here and loving every single bit and bolt of it :heysexy:

Biolite is cool, but I really like my jetboil. It is ridiculously fast to heat and boil. You do pay a premium for the whole jetboil ecosystem though. I have the http://www.jetboil.com/Products/MiniMo-Cooking-System-Carbon-with-Line-Art/ and it's good for ramen and whatever the hell else you want to put into it.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Jetboil if you actually want to cook your food fast, Biolite if you are a pyro and like playing with fire.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I was aiming at the MSR Windburner cause I love the way it radiate and spread the heat but it's basically a clone of the Jetboil (or the other way around actually) but now these wood burner kits are making me wiggle. And yes I'm a total pyro on fire.

Have you seen the Firebox Stove + Zebra Billy combo? It's :krad:

Another motorbike related question. For a multiday camping (more like a week than 2 days) can you do it with 50-ish liters of cargo? I only have my beloved Kriega bags and I'll prolly upgrade the backpack from the R25 to the R35 plus the US20 and eventually another 10lt for the tech bag (camera, tablet, ebook, music...). That should include the sleeping bag and the fact that I don't want to starve and eat boiled roots for a week so I need to carry stoves and at least some dried up food.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

froody guy posted:

I was aiming at the MSR Windburner cause I love the way it radiate and spread the heat but it's basically a clone of the Jetboil (or the other way around actually) but now these wood burner kits are making me wiggle. And yes I'm a total pyro on fire.

Have you seen the Firebox Stove + Zebra Billy combo? It's :krad:

Another motorbike related question. For a multiday camping (more like a week than 2 days) can you do it with 50-ish liters of cargo? I only have my beloved Kriega bags and I'll prolly upgrade the backpack from the R25 to the R35 plus the US20 and eventually another 10lt for the tech bag (camera, tablet, ebook, music...). That should include the sleeping bag and the fact that I don't want to starve and eat boiled roots for a week so I need to carry stoves and at least some dried up food.

I want to say that 50L is probably pushing it and you're packing pretty spartan but I am a camping princess. My soft bags are about 25-28L a piece which would hold all my hammock gear + 1 spare change of clothes and normal shoes. Then I've got another 30L tail bag that holds cooking stuff and food/water and other random camping usefuls. Sleeping bag and insulation pad has to get tied over all that stuff too.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Stove chat: I use a MSR Universal stove for motocamping. This way, I can use the gasoline I am already packing and don't have to double up on fuel types. My first choice, when camping in the woods and there isn't a fire ban, is to pack tin foil and just cook on the camp fire.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I use this guy, the MSR Rapidfire:

with the same setup (not my picture).

It works fantastic, and packs up tiny. The short isopro canisters fit inside most modern mess kits. My current mess kit, either the GSI Pinnacle Backpacker or Dualist (depending on which my wife is using at the time), is actually built around the size of isopro canisters, so the fit is perfect.

If I were doing a through hike or the TAT or any trip where I was going to be on the road/trail for a few weeks, I'd probably switch to a Universal or some stove that burns multiple fuels. The Biolite piques my interest, though, because I'm a fan of little tiny campfires while solo camping.

My wife has an MSR Pocket Rocket and she says it's pretty tits.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Has anyone tried the Kriegs R35 for hiking?

• Locked thread