Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Lexorin posted:

Damnit, I just pre-ordered the 80L reckless bag system because of you.

I've got a 20L kreiga tailbag, hopefully I can get the two bags to mate successfully.

And then we'll have beautiful luggage babies! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I think if you're somewhere that has gnarly biters like super mosquitos and blackflies, you may want that extra lower layer. On the other hand, if your hammock is sufficiently thick, you might not need anything but the top one to keep the little bastards out.

My hammock only has the top part, but we pretty much just have skeeters here, and no super bad biters that could get through the tent/hammock fabric.

If you use a sleeping pad of some kind, that might work against them, too.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
It's early enough in the year that you might not have to deal with them all that much, anyway. Kids aren't out of school until June, usually. Godspeed!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, that's my problem. You know that old saying, "Perfect is the enemy of good enough?" That's me. I just need to plan something short and do it and see how it goes instead of dithering about it.

I frickin' love camping and I haven't done it nearly enough since I got my bike.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yay! Welcome to my state! Glad you got to enjoy the nice weather. It's astounding how hot it gets up there in the summer, but it's been hotter than usual in the last month.

This weekend it's gonna rain, so I'm going camping.

Don't ask.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Did a ~1000-mile trip from around Portland to the coast, then inland to Crater Lake, then down to Yreka, CA, then back up the coast.

The beach was glorious. We don't always go in the summer because it's usually so tourist-clogged, but gently caress it, this time we're tourists, so we did it.

On the way to Crater Lake, and of course our entire route from the coast and down was in ~*Wildfire mode*~ so I may have chosen poorly, but whatever. You can see the smoke haze in the background.

Went down to Yreka and spent the night at the Trees of Heaven campground. A+++ for hammock camping, it's also a really pretty spot with a river running next to it. F---- for the number of loud fart-trucks that passed by during the night with their brakes a-farting, but it wasn't too bad.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Hennessey Hammocks, and we love 'em. It was awesome, there was an old guy at the campground with one, too. I guess he lived closeby, and was trying out a bunch of camping gear.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Holy poo poo yes to the new seat thing. It's funny, as long as I stand up (or post up a little) for just a minute or so, the rear end pain goes away. I am looking into making my own seat if I can.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Those look pretty good for zip-off, though. Not super dorky like a lot of the ones I've seen.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I've got a Biolite and I love it. Boils water fast, uses twigs and fallen wood for fuel, and charges stuff by USB.

It's not super small or ultralight, so if that's a concern, it may not be for you. For us, though, bike camping, it's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Supradog posted:

Do you charge a battery pack with it first and then charge stuff with that? I mean it's 0.4 amp continuous and 0.8 amp peak output, most of my stuff want 1 amp minimum.

I just charge 10k mAh battery banks in my tank bag from the dual usb outlet while I ride. The battery pack makes it easy to top off the tablet/phone in the hammock at night.

Yeah, at this point we have so many batteries it's almost moot. I usually plug one of the chargers into the stove while we're cooking dinner. It's a bit of a top-off if we're just boiling water for dehydrated stuff. You can also pre-charge the stove so it's got a full charge before you leave, which is cool.

• Locked thread