Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Two friends and I did some motocamping in Mt Hood National Forest this past weekend. We met up with in Hood River and proceeded to take trails under high tension lines around the west side of Mt Hood. The trails were pretty mild but the temperature wasn’t, closing in on the triple digits. My friends KLR started to get a bit warm so we jumped on some tarmac and grabbed lunch.

From there we jumped on US26 to Bennet Pass. The USFS suggests having a 4x4 to tackle the pass but given how narrow, gnarly, and exposed it is, a dual sport is the ideal machine. We did about 30 miles or so to Badger Lake where we set up camp, went swimming, fishing, shooting, and whiskeying.

This was my first dual sport motocamping trip and it is pretty much all I want to do with my life now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I'm actually headed out that way again this weekend too. Rain be damned! I'm pretty sure as long as I'm able to ride and my bike is running, I'll be in the woods. I have effectively combined two of my favorite past times.

I'm not exactly sure what tires he was running but he was really surprised at how well they were hooking up on the dirt. He did wash out once and lowside, but he admittedly was being a jackass and came in a corner hot.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Got real soggy this weekend riding and camping up and around Mt. Hood again. Didn't take many pictures due to the production of removing my camera or phone from the depths of my waterproof luggage. Even though we got dumped on, it was still so much fun.

Only pic that I snagged. Just look at that view! Bonus points if you can spot my friend on the cliff's edge.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Went out again this weekend and explored around the Southern part of Mt. Hood National Forest. Went to check out the trails at one of the only open OHV areas but had a hard time finding any decent ones. It's a relatively new OHV spot and seems really spread out. In the process of searching for trails, we found this awesome little fishing hole and spent some time trying to tease tiny rainbow trout out while eating lunch. I want to head back sans gear because we did find some really fun/scary looking hill climbs. Did get to use my new MSR Whisperlite Universal camp stove and it's pretty drat awesome using unleaded gas to cook your dinner.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Took a friday off of work two weeks ago and went riding through the Mt. Hood and Willamette National Forests with a friend. I've included the google maps links that I used to plot the course that I plugged into basecamp. If anyone wants the actual route that I made for my gps, just PM me and I can shoot it your way. This was my first time making and plugging a route into my garmin. I found out that there is still a whole lot of wiggle room between what exists digitally and what roads are actually there. It made it much more interesting.

If you're in the area and have a dual sport, go ride Barlow rd. It was/is the last stretch of the Oregon Trail and has a lot of fun features to play on. I really want to ride it again and head back down to the Ollalie Lake area while there are still fall colors.

Routes:

PDX to Detroit Lake:
https://goo.gl/maps/JJoNLCRa4HM2

Detroit Lake to Olallie Lakes:
https://goo.gl/maps/teJur7YSXzQ2

Olallie to Government Camp
https://goo.gl/maps/VYNGVt6zuZU2

Govt to Barlow to Bennet
https://goo.gl/maps/vFuynvxCByM2

Here's a few phone pictures my friend took and instagrammed up:

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

How were the roads? Ok for Ewan and Charlie?

The roads were dirt, gravel, and in some parts nothing but fist sized rocks. Any dual sport or adv bike could do it. It got a little more fun when we went off the route and had to hop fallen trees. Turns out that if there's obstacles, it's likely a dead end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Stove chat: I use a MSR Universal stove for motocamping. This way, I can use the gasoline I am already packing and don't have to double up on fuel types. My first choice, when camping in the woods and there isn't a fire ban, is to pack tin foil and just cook on the camp fire.

• Locked thread