Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gillingham posted:

Fits everything for a weekend for two minus water and beer, but that's what town runs are for. Ordered some rok straps the day we left so next time should be able to strap stuff like the tarp, tent, and maybe bags/chairs outside the bags instead of taking up a lot of space inside.

30 pack in each side, clean underwear up top?

Gillingham posted:

Honestly the coolest part of the bags is reading the advrider thread and the owners own ride reports seeing how all this stuff was/is being developed. Owners first ride report complete with getting stranded with a broken leg in south america is recommended reading

Link please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M. Night Skymall posted:

What kind of weather are you planning on camping in? My friend has this Coleman tent and it seemed fine for bike camping. You can probably just grab any Coleman bag(rated appropriately to the weather you're camping in) and pad but I don't have any experience with them so I can't recommend anything specific. Keep in mind ratings are "you won't die" and not "this is comfortable." Most people consider a 20-30 degree bag to be suitable for 3 season camping, and a 0 degree bag for(reasonable) winter camping.

If you wanted to spend a bit more, I'd still get that tent because honestly for bike camping the tent is probably the least demanding aspect. Most of the improvements in more expensive tents(outside of buying $Texas moto specific tents) aren't really relevant to motorcycle camping. I'd pick up this pad and this bag. Not sure if their shipping options will be fast enough though.

I'd try to get an inflatable pad because they tend to be a lot more compact than closed cell pads which makes packing it easier, and sleeping bags basically just get lighter and more compact as you spend more money, with some improvements in materials. Make sure you bring a headlamp if you're going to camp and at least have some kind of "I stuff my clothes in this bag" level solution for a pillow. Also a generic walmart tarp can make strapping wood/random poo poo to your bike a lot more palatable.

Also you should throw your budget out the window and get that Redverz tent, you know you need a garage to work on your bike inside your tent. You need it.

That tent. :perfect:

except weight :sigh:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ant mouth posted:

Got real soggy this weekend riding and camping up and around Mt. Hood again. Didn't take many pictures due to the production of removing my camera or phone from the depths of my waterproof luggage. Even though we got dumped on, it was still so much fun.

Only pic that I snagged. Just look at that view! Bonus points if you can spot my friend on the cliff's edge.

Is your friend a tree?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pie Colony posted:

I'm planning a trip from NY to Alaska and back. I've only been riding for a few years and don't know too much about maintenance/repair beyond the basics, but I think I could work it out.

- Am I going to regret doing it on a DRZ400? I don't know if I'll eventually want something more powerful for the longer stretches of highway

- Any specific mods I should look into? I already have a fairly comfortable seat, a rack, and a phone charger, and the previous owner re-did the suspension.

- Are there any guides for idiots like me? I know there are a lot of blogs/videos of people doing similar trips but I'd rather not watch through hours and hours of video to get a few good pieces of advice.

Look at sheep skin covers for your seat. You know, just in case. Do you know how to/have a smaller rear/bigger front sprocket? If you're doing a ton of highway and not much dirt then I would be inclined to change the gearing to reflect that and make it easier to cruise at 75 through the heartland of america (aka poughkeepsie). Do you have GPS?

I would look at advrider, seems like someone on there must have done that. I don't have one readily available.

Think about what replacement parts you'll want to bring. I assume you'll be changing tires? How much dirt are you planning on doing? If a lot, maybe bring wheel bearings. Do your preventative maintenance first, too. Steering bearing, valve check, chain, etc. I suppose all this depends on how mechanically inclined you are and how OK you are with just winging it.

• Locked thread