Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I use this guy, the MSR Rapidfire:

with the same setup (not my picture).

It works fantastic, and packs up tiny. The short isopro canisters fit inside most modern mess kits. My current mess kit, either the GSI Pinnacle Backpacker or Dualist (depending on which my wife is using at the time), is actually built around the size of isopro canisters, so the fit is perfect.

If I were doing a through hike or the TAT or any trip where I was going to be on the road/trail for a few weeks, I'd probably switch to a Universal or some stove that burns multiple fuels. The Biolite piques my interest, though, because I'm a fan of little tiny campfires while solo camping.

My wife has an MSR Pocket Rocket and she says it's pretty tits.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

I want to get into motocamping and am looking to plan my first trip may 4-7th, a trial run for a 10 day vacation a couple weeks later. I wanted to go over my trip, get feedback/advice, make sure I wasn't forgetting anything.

My trial trip will be from Gulfport, MS to Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, AR (apparently a combination gallery/natural trail that houses the Rosie the Riveter painting). That's 1,200 miles, an easy 300 miles a day. The museum itself is open till 6pm so I'm guessing my schedule would be:

• Leave Gulfport MS Thursday morning, ~300 miles to Lake Chicot State Park
  • Leave Chicot State Park Friday morning, ~300 milesto Crystal bridges. Stay in a hotel in town/nearby.
  • Leave Bentonville Saturday morning, ~300 to Chicot State Park.
  • Leave Chicot State Park Friday morning, ~300 miles home.

At no point in the trip will I be longer than a hotel stay from home, so If I realize I absolutely can't stand camping I can pack it up.

My biggest concern, my main reason for posting, is actually being able to stay at Chicot. Should I make reservations? I assume people just ride around on their bikes and stopping at places, and I don't really see how a campsite can run out of small patches of flat ground for me to put my tiny tent on? The websites lists "67 Class B including several sites with Class C options" but doesn't list rates for any sites other than AA to B - so I'm assuming there's maybe a 5 buck entrance fee to the park and then you just tent camp wherever? Is that about how this works? I really hope so because picking out a single camp site for this small trip is doable but if I had to do that for every day it would get tiresome, especially if anything happened to my schedule.

Look, I've been camping like two times in my whole life, and that was boy scout type stuff, get driven somewhere, huge group, etc. This will be the first time I camp as an adult, and the first time by myself, and the first time on a motorcycle. Any advice about what I've posted so far would be appreciated.

Later, either in this thread or maybe someplace else, I need to post pictures of my bike and get tips on how to pack/stow my gear.

Camping around Chicot shouldn't be too hard to find, and you probably won't need reservations. Its part of the Arkansas State Parks system, and most of them are first come, first served, pay cash at a kiosk. Call and ask, they're usually pretty helpful. What you will probably have to deal with is mosquitoes. They're probably already getting bad. Problem is, you can't get away from them in the delta. Take some light long sleeves and pants, you will want them. Eat catfish. There are little fish joints e verywhere and most are great.

If you could add on some extra miles on day 1 or 4, Pendleton Lock and Dam near Dumas is sort of close to Lake Chicot and has decent campsites. I think there's even free showers. It's a little more interesting than the Lake Chicot area. A bunch of the movie Mud was filmed there.

In order to get to Bentonville, you'll pass through some of the best motorcycle routes in the world. Don't take the interstates to get around the Ozarks. I know most of those roads by heart and could give recommendations if you want. You won't want to leave. You might not care about making it to Crystal Bridges after an hour in the Ozarks. Great camping throughout as well.

On night 2, stay in Fayetteville a few miles south, Bentonville is just big box sprawl and sucks rear end. Fayetteville is funky and cool as hell. There are some decent hotels near the interstate. What do you like to eat? Most of my favorite restaurants are there. Hugo's for burgers and sandwiches, Damgoode Pies for pizza, Penguin Ed's or Sadie's for BBQ, Farmer's Table for crafty local southern stuff. They catered my wedding and are good. Greenhouse Grill has great breakfasts, as does Farmer's Table. Onyx Coffee is super clever and crunchy, but it's good poo poo.

Pack rain gear and make sure your tent is waterproof. It can rain torrentially for days in all of Arkansas in May, but especially in the delta and Arkansas River valley. Let me know if you want any help with routes. I can tell you the best ways to get through or around Little Rock without hating your life by the end.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

PMed you because it got long.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Re: tents and poles

Don't pack your poles in with your tent. Doesn't matter if they get wet, so you can just strap them on the outside wherever. That way there's plenty of room for your tent in your packs.

If I read the situation right.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

chicagobutters posted:

Primary goal is to reclaim some real estate for increased maneuverability and comfort in route. Second is to keep everything inside those Kriega bags and use that VFR as intended without concern. A few years ago I’d use shoelaces to secure whatever... but it’s much more enjoyable for me this way.

I’ve had that Eureka Apex 2XT (pictured) for a few years now, tents in great shape, and TentPole Technologies might be my answer. I believe moving from 25.5” to 18” sections (with inserts) would do the trick but we’ll see.

I've gotten poles from them before. Quick shipping. The fiberglass poles are heavy as gently caress.

• Locked thread