Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Razzled posted:

So on Hennessy Hammocks...
Dang, didn't realize the old thread is gone :(

You should check out hammockforums.net--they've got oodles of good advice.

My two cents is the hammock part is literally the least important piece of the whole setup. A good underquilt/tarp/suspension is where your money should go.

This is the best hammock I've ever slept in

And simple instructions to whip one up

For reference, here's my backpacking setup from the other weekend down in Red River Gorge (got down to 15° that night)

Seconding retarded pimp on alcohol stoves--that design in particular is what I use for backpacking, and is indestructible. Boil some water, toss in some instant potatoes, a pouch of chicken, canned corn, & carrots and you've got thanksgiving casserole. Heat up some Costco quinoa & rice with some pouch/canned chicken, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, and corn is awesome too. Tasty Bites Madras Lentils with corn, canned chicken (or pork), served over Hawaiin Rolls always hits the spot as well. Grilled spam sammiches, herb crusted fish in a pouch over instant Alfredo noodles... It's all good!

TL;DR freeze dried food sucks--be creative!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Razzled posted:

It's really warm here, I doubt any given night would go under 60 F in the summer. So I'm thinking this should be fine as a top quilt/blanket: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Nylon-Warm-Poncho-Liner/dp/B004WX99A8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428637277&sr=8-5&keywords=poncho+liner

[quote="Razzled" post="443875706"]
It's really warm here, I doubt any given night would go under 60 F in the summer. So I'm thinking this should be fine as a top quilt/blanket: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Nylon-Warm-Poncho-Liner/dp/B004WX99A8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428637277&sr=8-5&keywords=poncho+liner

You'll freeze you're bum off... just take your regular sleeping bag, unzip it, and voila! Instant top quilt! I'm a cold sleeper, so I had a cold miserable night my first time hammock camping at 90°, without some sort of insulation underneath. Just using a regular sleeping pad for your bottom insulation, and a sleeping bag on top will work great until you get spendier stuff.

Gorson posted:

For a stove, I use the classic dual fuel Coleman single burner. It's a little heavier but I like the stability and heat adjustability, plus you can siphon gas if needed. However, my cook kit is getting old and dented and needs replacement. Anything decent on Amazon?

White gas stoves are definitely nice for lots of cooking or big groups, but that's a huge space premium for a bike. Then again I've got a different mindset because I carry my gear backpacking

I really like my Snowpeak (Japanese) 1.5L Titanium Pot, but if I were to do it over again I'd get the Toaks Titanium Pot (Chinese). Super strong and weighs nothing, but big enough to cook for 2-3, but not too excessive to carry for just myself. I love it because I can pack my windscreen, fork, pot grabber, titanium mug, alcohol stove, 2-3 8 ounce fuel bottles, and lighter all inside so it packs up small and I'm not digging around for poo poo. I can also boil an entire nalgene bottle in there, which is nice for hot chocolate and stuff.

If you're looking to cook burgers or something beyond a single slice of spam, my buddy picked up a MSR Flex Skillet and it is awesome

nsaP posted:

OSU_Matthew hit me up if you ever wanna check out the gorge or w/e, I ride down there for day trips n poo poo.

For sure--Red River is awesome! Ever done Grays Arch to 221/rough trail to the cliff that juts way out into the gorge? That's a phenomenal spot to camp---it's so dark out there you can see the international space station circling the earth every fifteen minutes.

Anyone know of good routes or great places to motocamp in West Virginia? Just went down to New River Gorge last week and I'm itching for more.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 10, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ You should absolutely give it a shot, it's such a great way to experience the most incredible places.

Retarded Pimp posted:

About 90 minutes.

edit
Content
It doesn't always cost a bunch for camping equipment, I've been using this to cook for years, it's light and cheap and fits everything but the food and fuel when packed.
Derp, I'm dumb. It was too cloudy and cold last time I was there to stargaze, and my memory apparently ain't so great :(

I've always wanted to try one of those grease pots, I've heard they make awesome cookware, especially when you add a bail handle... I'm gonna hunt one down for a spare pot--thanks!

So, I've only ever done destination trips--eg ride out to a place and camp at a designated park with sites. Where do you guys(/girls) camp on multi day trips? Do you plan ahead for something like a KOA, or do you ask the locals when you're ready to stop for the day? Anyone ever just rode off the road a bit and followed some fence lines or utility poles to stealth camp?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

M. Night Skymall posted:

Went motocamping this weekend, tried out my hammock for the first time since I got married. It took me a bit to remember how to get comfortable, but it was pretty nice down to about 50 degrees. The main problem I had with hammock camping on a bike is that there's nowhere to put your gear. I ended up dumping it all in my friend's vestibule. It's great for backpacking/primitive sites because I'd just put my backpack under the hammock or something but my gear is a lot more dispersed on a motorcycle and I was concerned something might walk away on me since all the parks in Texas are fairly crowded party/RV type affairs.

It's also incredibly awkward to change in, which is kind of a necessity if you arrive at the campsite in full motorcycle gear(I borrowed a friend's tent for this also.) Overall, I can see the appeal if you're doing dual-sport camping out in the woods where there's no one around to see you change and keeping your gear out of sight isn't a concern, but for general purpose use at crowded state parks I don't think it's worth it. It does pack down significantly smaller than tent+sleeping pad but I'll just find some more room or strap the poles to the outside of a bag or something. Might try it again if I pick up a dual sport in the future and want to try stealth camping in National Forests or other public land.

You need a tarp!

The trick to lying flat in a hammock is to lay on a bit of a diagonal. Also, hanging your hammock at a 30 degree angle gives it the right lay. And if the weather is below eighty at night, you'll definitely want some sort of bottom insulation, whether it's a sleeping pad or underquilt.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/HangAngle.html

:science:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Phy posted:

God I hope I don't ever gently caress this tent up, MEC stopped making it

Well, look on the bright side, it would be a great excuse to ditch the tent and upgrade to hammock :v:

• Locked thread