Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hello friends (and buell riders). I have decided to plan out a few trips this summer to do some sweet motorcycle camping. I haven’t been camping in a long time though so I need a gear refresh. Probably you guys do too! Or have suggestions! Cool!

The old subthread got archived! There's still a lot of cool information there though! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3463653&pagenumber=1

I’ve also heard there’s significantly less mailboxes out in the mountains and forests. Safer.

Here’s my bike setup so far. A tail rack, a rotopax gas tank and a nelson tail bag.
I’m thinking of adding side racks but that would require more bags which are expensive as hell.

Stuff you probably need for camping:

-Tent

Pitched tents and camping hammocks seem to be the standard fare here. Personally I’m leaning towards camping hammocks as I really enjoy hammocks. Hammocks. Modern tents are probably pretty good about size these days, so you can actually tote along the poles too.

I’ve been looking at Hennesey Hammocks http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock
They seem really nice, but also pricey. Anyone have testimonials or substitutes?

-Sleeping Bag

I’ve heard that a good down sleeping bag is really all you need to stay warm. Obviously these are all rated for different temperatures so buy accordingly. I think in GA a 20+ will suffice just fine for our warm summer nights. Not sure about brands though, compact size would be the primary need here.

-Food

Hilariously enough, I like the idea of buying a case of MREs to tote around to camp sites rather than looking for restaurants near the destination/bringing canned food. Worth a try at least once anyway, hahaha.

-Clean Water

People seem to love the heck out of those little Jetboil/Biofuel stoves for boiling water on the fly. You can also get those life straw things if you’re going somewhere remote or purifying tablets. I forget what the deal is with these though, probably you have to check other stuff like ph levels or some other nerdy poo poo. I’ll probably just bring a couple liters of bottled water and then drink my piss if that runs out.

-Lights

Lights are pretty useful, a flashlight or at bare minimum some chem lights will probably a great bit of help for when it *surprise* gets dark. Never know when those mailbox fuckers will sneak up on you all quiet like.

-Extra Clothes!

I'm told that synthetic clothing is the best since it dries out very quickly and also is decent at keeping you warm. Makes it easy to wash and re-wear for extended trips! I don't know if poop stains come out very easily though.

Stuff you probably don’t NEED but might be cool:

-Survival tools (knife/hatchet/gun)

These are things I guess. Knives are never bad in the wild I suppose. Bear Grylls taught me that.

-Silverware

Indians love eating with their hands I’m told. I’m lazy, I’ll probably steal forks and spoons from chipotle.

-Fishing tools

Fishing is loving rad, bring a telescopic pole and mini tacklebox

COOL STUFF

Please pay your camp sites and keep them clean and stuff!

Also make suggestions for this OP either in the form of items, tips and product brands!

Razzled fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Reserved for sick survival tips, bear grylls love you girl

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

ought ten posted:

Nothing better than some motocamping. Looks like you have a good plan.

Don't worry too much about water. You'll be stopping every couple hundred miles for gas (and every 50 for your rear end), and every gas station has potable water. Take a couple nalgenes, fill them at your last stop and you'll have plenty overnight for cooking, eating and washing pots if you go beyond MREs. Plus if you're camping at anything above backcountry sites, public or private, they all have water.

20+ bag is good. I get a little cold even in the summer in my 40, but I mostly go north.

If you have a stove and pot and don't want to eat MREs get these things: http://www.knorr.com/product/category/245876/pasta-sides or their rice versions. Half of them taste half decent. You actually don't even need to heat them, throw them in a nalgene with water and they'll be edible in a few hours. But that's disgusting.

Is that tailbag waterproof? If not get a cover or at least throw all your clothes and sleeping bag in a garbage bag before you put it in there. Nothing like wet clothes to ruin a trip. A small drybag and a bungee net is a good way to carry a sleeping bag, too.

Whiskey. Don't forget whiskey.

Where you going?

First trip is just a little baby trip to test the waters, I'll be going to Unicoi State Park in helen, GA. The next one will be a little bit longer as I go to Deal's Gap with my dad and camp along the way.
Good point about the tailbag, it's not waterproof but it has a raincover that I can put on it while not riding.

And yeah, I'll prob store a couple trash bags just in case, eph

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So on Hennessy Hammocks; http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/special_sale/

They're having a combo sale on the insulation systems for the asym zip. That seems to be a pretty attractive bundle-- if it works like it's supposed to. Do you know anything about that Skymall?
Thanks for help!

And yeah, I'm mostly going to be doing weekend trips for now. I'm sure as I get more into it I'll plan out more grand trips to places farther away, but for now I desperately need all of my PTO time hahaha

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
It's really warm here, I doubt any given night would go under 60 F in the summer. So I'm thinking this should be fine as a top quilt/blanket: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Nylon-Warm-Poncho-Liner/dp/B004WX99A8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428637277&sr=8-5&keywords=poncho+liner

Or something similar (and inexpensive).

I kinda poked around those hammock forums and they're pushing me closer to the hennessy hammock. I just want ease of purchase/setup and the HHs seem to have all the features I need (suspension, hammock, mosquito net, rain fly) in one place. They're a bit expensive but it seems that everyone agrees so far that they're worth it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Once again back on the subject of hammocks now that I've spent some time researching them and reading through stuff on hammock-forums.

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness (or lack thereof) the shock cord bottom style bugnets?
[timg]http://www.dutchwaregear.com/images/detailed/1/IMG_4050[1].jpg[/timg]

If these work decently I can avoid dropping massive cash on something with an integrated bugnet like an HH or a Warbonnet blackbird and just get something like a double layer dutchware (cheaper!). I'm not really into DIY stuff so the tablecloth business is kinda out the window.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Aite y'all. It's here. I tried out my hammock (i ended up going with dutchware stuff) and it is pretty awesome. Really, really easy to set up and tear down and really comfortable too.

Double layer 1.1 Nylon, with integrated ridgeline and a bugnet!

Tarp hasn't come in the mail yet, but I ended up getting an HH hex tarp cause they're huge. Found one for cheaper, only 40 bucks !

Can't wait for memorial weekend!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

SmokedSquid posted:

awesome poo poo on a DRZ

Nice job guy, thank you for this excellent contribution to the thread!

I didn't get any pics of my setup because my phone was almost out of batteries and I needed that poo poo for GPS so here's a prep-shot instead of me and my dad rayelin' through the mountains with full gear.

As for the camping stuff, it was a little bit too cold for just a mil surplus poncho liner as a blanket so I used pad + sleeping bag for bottom and then the poncho liner on top and that was plenty warm. The dutch hammock I bought was amazing and the double layer made it so that the pad didn't shift around. The Hennessy Hammock hex tarp was really easy to setup and had excellent coverage. I actually didn't bother to stake down the sides and instead just let them hang down over the sides of my hammock to block the wind and that worked pretty well.

As for comfort, once I fell asleep I was out like a light and didn't wake up in the middle of the night except once because I had to pee something furious. All in all, it was a great experience and I can't wait to go even more places.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Sounds scary, if you do do it be sure to take lots of pictures of the wasteland

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
First camping trip of the year! Went to a beautiful little spot in northern Georgia called Tallulah Falls. Weather was fantastic at about 70F with a constant breeze and bright shining sun.

Staging! The DRZ was screaming the entire way with all that extra weight. The bright side is that while saddled up, I ripped and held the sickest wheelies I've ever done in my life. :krad:

True 1%ers

Made it on location! That's a Henessey Hammock hex fly rain tarp and underneath is a dutchware double layered nylon hammock with bugnet, the double layer is nice because you can insert the pad between layers and it doesn't need readjustment during the night. Not exactly primitive camping lol, lots of electricity and water

Toasty!

In NC we found something called Bridal Veil Falls, it was pretty cool.

My little brother trying to be cool

Waxing artistic

That sums up my feelings about motorcycling pretty succinctly.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Good man keep them bones dry

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Nice job goon, I have those same givi bags but the exhaust side one is duct taped cause a giant hole got burned in it when they were empty 😄

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I will say that if you are doing that long of a stretch, you should bring some extra oil to top it off along the way. The DRZ has a habit of drinking oil when you keep it revving high for a while. Just check the levels every 400-500 miles and top off as necessary probably

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What bags are those on the Tuono? I can't figure out how I'd secure anything on the back of mine

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

froody guy posted:

Hi, new to the thread and to motocamping too, and looking for some gear for the coming season. Mainly I was looking for some cooking and stove set and I've got quite an hardon for the Biolite thingy. Looking around in the wood-fired and the gas/fuel free ones I put the Pathfinder bottle and nesting cup set in the cart but can't really decide me. Both the biolite and the pathfinder are awesome but it's really a one person set, meaning that even making a rice or pasta for 2 requires a different pot and I'm not sure they can boil 2 or more liters of water. Any suggest?

Fake ps: nice to see a Tuono in the thread, Aprilia Shiver owner here and loving every single bit and bolt of it :heysexy:

Biolite is cool, but I really like my jetboil. It is ridiculously fast to heat and boil. You do pay a premium for the whole jetboil ecosystem though. I have the http://www.jetboil.com/Products/MiniMo-Cooking-System-Carbon-with-Line-Art/ and it's good for ramen and whatever the hell else you want to put into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

froody guy posted:

I was aiming at the MSR Windburner cause I love the way it radiate and spread the heat but it's basically a clone of the Jetboil (or the other way around actually) but now these wood burner kits are making me wiggle. And yes I'm a total pyro on fire.

Have you seen the Firebox Stove + Zebra Billy combo? It's :krad:

Another motorbike related question. For a multiday camping (more like a week than 2 days) can you do it with 50-ish liters of cargo? I only have my beloved Kriega bags and I'll prolly upgrade the backpack from the R25 to the R35 plus the US20 and eventually another 10lt for the tech bag (camera, tablet, ebook, music...). That should include the sleeping bag and the fact that I don't want to starve and eat boiled roots for a week so I need to carry stoves and at least some dried up food.

I want to say that 50L is probably pushing it and you're packing pretty spartan but I am a camping princess. My soft bags are about 25-28L a piece which would hold all my hammock gear + 1 spare change of clothes and normal shoes. Then I've got another 30L tail bag that holds cooking stuff and food/water and other random camping usefuls. Sleeping bag and insulation pad has to get tied over all that stuff too.

• Locked thread