Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

Not sure where your line is for expensive as hell, guy who owns 3 motorcycles, but this tail/side bag system looks pretty cool for a DRZ or dual sport type bike and comes in significantly under buying a rack and side cases, which is usually closer to 800-1000 for the ones I've looked at. Their pannier system is 600 and you still need a rack which is probably minimum 200, those cool square hard cases from Trax that you see on the side of every GS are like 800 just for the side cases, still need a rack.
Been following mosko since they started up on advriders, I have the 40L side panniers and mounting system and love them, the whole design is really nice. I'm sure that the reckless is similarly designed and durable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm kind of torn between Mosko's panniers and the Trax side cases. The soft bags are really nice from a weight/profile standpoint but the Trax cases could double as tables when I'm off the bike :v:. Also more legitimately having a flat surface on top means it's really easy to strap things like tents and chairs and poo poo with long poles to them. How well does the whole MOLLE thing work for attaching stuff to the Mosko panniers? Don't have any experience with it really.
The other upside to soft bags is while these are rated at 40L you can fit a suprisingly larger number since the roll top can expand as well as the bag itself, plus the beavertail and stuff attached to the molle/on top. Only real thing I have on the molle is the large molle bag which I generally use for big bottles of beer instead, seems to work pretty well and secure, even if you don't use it as a molle it also serves a nice place to just attach a carabiner too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcHwbzu6eI0 is a prototype video but it's a pretty good explanation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsYkimd8dFk is a newer video'

*edit*
After watching that second one, I think I want to buy one of the new accessory pouches, that water nozzle setup seems perfect

Re: hammock chat, jelly because most of my camping is desert where you can't really use a hammock.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 9, 2015

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Fits everything for a weekend for two minus water and beer, but that's what town runs are for. Ordered some rok straps the day we left so next time should be able to strap stuff like the tarp, tent, and maybe bags/chairs outside the bags instead of taking up a lot of space inside.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

kuffs posted:

Holy poo poo a goon with Mosko bags. What do you think of them so far?
Love them, all the quality seems great so far. I've been using one daily as a commuting bag for several months now, and double up for day trips, shopping etc. This was the first camping trip and they worked out great, huge amount of space and I like the adaptability. I used the two side molle panels for water storage, there's also another small panel on the bottom of each bag for more expand-ability.

I got them for an absolute steal of $424.99 in the pre-order phase, but even at the current 624.99 price I'm sure that's still more than competitive, and it's still just a few dudes running the show out of rented warehouse space.

Oddly enough heading back from this weekend I saw two dudes in Ojai with the full pannier+duffle bag and waved with our matching luggage, they ignored me :( First time seeing someone else with the bags in the wild.
Honestly the coolest part of the bags is reading the advrider thread and the owners own ride reports seeing how all this stuff was/is being developed. Owners first ride report complete with getting stranded with a broken leg in south america is recommended reading

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 20, 2015

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871303

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927215

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
I've got a bunch of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZGOWZQ/ I got at a backpacking yard sale that fold down real small and light.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

SmokedSquid posted:

This might be a stupid question, but what's wrong with sitting on the ground? Especially motocamping where you're probably filthy anyway. A camp chair takes up a fair amount of space on a bike.
The camp chairs I have take up very little space, and are actually soft, comfortable and raise you up at a nice angle vs you know, the ground. They even have hooks on the carrying case so you can literally strap them anywhere if you're worried about safe. Continue sitting on the ground though if you're that worried about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
I really like Mountain Hardwear Optic 2.5 Fits me + the girl and gear inside plus the dual vestibules work out great for saddlebags and other stuff.

• Locked thread