Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Razzled posted:

Here’s my bike setup so far. A tail rack, a rotopax gas tank and a nelson tail bag.
I’m thinking of adding side racks but that would require more bags which are expensive as hell.

Not sure where your line is for expensive as hell, guy who owns 3 motorcycles, but this tail/side bag system looks pretty cool for a DRZ or dual sport type bike and comes in significantly under buying a rack and side cases, which is usually closer to 800-1000 for the ones I've looked at. Their pannier system is 600 and you still need a rack which is probably minimum 200, those cool square hard cases from Trax that you see on the side of every GS are like 800 just for the side cases, still need a rack.

Razzled posted:

I’ve been looking at Hennesey Hammocks http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock
They seem really nice, but also pricey. Anyone have testimonials or substitutes?

I got an A-sym hammock from them something like 10 years ago. It's really comfortable and would probably work pretty well in Georgia or anywhere you have trees and you aren't going to camp below freezing regularly. The a-symetrical system lets you lie completely flat in the hammock which makes it really comfortable without spending a fortune on your sleeping pad. If you're going to get into hammock camping you want to make some different choices with the rest of your gear. Standard mummy bags don't work nearly as well in a hammock because you flatten all the insulation in the bottom and then you freeze as the wind whips across your uninsulated rear end. If you're going to camp below 50 degrees you probably want to pick up an underquilt or something similar. There're also instructions for modifying old sleeping bags you might have into a working system if you do some googling. If I had to buy a hammock today I'd look pretty seriously at the blackbird or ridgerunner by the same guys. Not any cheaper than the Hennessy to be fair but I think they're doing cool stuff with their design and have a neat system for 4-season hammock camping.

For solo moto-camping I think a hammock is perfect, they set-up/tear-down incredibly fast with something like the snakeskin system from Hennessy, I think I could have my hammock up in a couple minutes if I wasn't expecting rain. The other side of it is that all of the super light aspect of hammock camping is a little pointless on a motorcycle. You aren't hiking your gear anywhere so you could totally go for a tent and cot setup which'd be really comfortable, but cots that breakdown well and fit on a motorcycle are a little pricey. I think if I were planning a long term motorcycle camping trip I'd probably do tent/cot/chair/table just so that I'd have a bit of a home away from home while camping. If you're only going to be doing weekend type trips I think a hammock is perfect as it offers a lot of comfort for the price/size.

You also didn't mention chairs. If you're hammock camping you can actually turn your hammock into a reasonably comfortable chair, but if you aren't you should definitely bring a chair. I ordered this Helinox Knock-off but it hasn't arrived yet. The REI version and the actual Helinox are both pretty comfortable when I sat in them and break down pretty tiny. I have the standard cheap/heavy/huge outdoor chairs for car camping at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Gillingham posted:

Been following mosko since they started up on advriders, I have the 40L side panniers and mounting system and love them, the whole design is really nice. I'm sure that the reckless is similarly designed and durable

I'm kind of torn between Mosko's panniers and the Trax side cases. The soft bags are really nice from a weight/profile standpoint but the Trax cases could double as tables when I'm off the bike :v:. Also more legitimately having a flat surface on top means it's really easy to strap things like tents and chairs and poo poo with long poles to them. How well does the whole MOLLE thing work for attaching stuff to the Mosko panniers? Don't have any experience with it really.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Razzled posted:

So on Hennessy Hammocks; http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/special_sale/

They're having a combo sale on the insulation systems for the asym zip. That seems to be a pretty attractive bundle-- if it works like it's supposed to. Do you know anything about that Skymall?
Thanks for help!

And yeah, I'm mostly going to be doing weekend trips for now. I'm sure as I get more into it I'll plan out more grand trips to places farther away, but for now I desperately need all of my PTO time hahaha

I do actually own the super shelter system, but I didn't use it that much. I got the hammock and went off camping with it and loved it, then had a pretty miserable night where it was in the 40s in the mountains and immediately got the super shelter system. I then never went camping with my hammock when it was cold enough to warrant the super shelter system again cause I'm an idiot who lives in Texas and impulse buys things. I still had the second layer on there and I think I've stuck spare clothing in there on occasion, which worked pretty well. The system set up pretty easy when I tested it and there's no reason it wouldn't work well in colder weather, even in the 60s/70s the second layer blocks some of the wind from hitting you directly. The main issue I had without it was the wind blowing across the bottom and having a double layered hammock fixes that. If you do go Hennessy I would go for the zip over the classic. I have the classic which is a bottom entry velcro system. The velcro isn't awful or anything but I'd have gotten the zipper entry if it existed at the time. The other nice thing about Hennessy is the free snakeskins, those really make setup/teardown a breeze.

I actually camp in a tent now since I'm married and I couldn't sell my wife on the his/her hammocks setup. I'm going on another long trip at the end of the summer though and should bring the hammock for that, going pretty far north so it should get cold enough to finally use my super shelter appropriately even.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Went motocamping this weekend, tried out my hammock for the first time since I got married. It took me a bit to remember how to get comfortable, but it was pretty nice down to about 50 degrees. The main problem I had with hammock camping on a bike is that there's nowhere to put your gear. I ended up dumping it all in my friend's vestibule. It's great for backpacking/primitive sites because I'd just put my backpack under the hammock or something but my gear is a lot more dispersed on a motorcycle and I was concerned something might walk away on me since all the parks in Texas are fairly crowded party/RV type affairs.

It's also incredibly awkward to change in, which is kind of a necessity if you arrive at the campsite in full motorcycle gear(I borrowed a friend's tent for this also.) Overall, I can see the appeal if you're doing dual-sport camping out in the woods where there's no one around to see you change and keeping your gear out of sight isn't a concern, but for general purpose use at crowded state parks I don't think it's worth it. It does pack down significantly smaller than tent+sleeping pad but I'll just find some more room or strap the poles to the outside of a bag or something. Might try it again if I pick up a dual sport in the future and want to try stealth camping in National Forests or other public land.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

You could get rid of your closed cell foam pad and fit a chair, a modern inflatable pad and a small mariachi band instead. Closed cell foam makes a lot more sense when you're looking to backpack on a budget since it's incredibly light for the cost, but it sure isn't space efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

M42 posted:

I'm gonna be camping at Deals Gap next weekend. What's a good, compact tent+bag+pad that can be carried on my SV, for under $200 if possible? We're driving/trailering the bikes down, but I intend to use the stuff again on actual bike trips. I've never really camped like this before, so any advice is appreciated.

What kind of weather are you planning on camping in? My friend has this Coleman tent and it seemed fine for bike camping. You can probably just grab any Coleman bag(rated appropriately to the weather you're camping in) and pad but I don't have any experience with them so I can't recommend anything specific. Keep in mind ratings are "you won't die" and not "this is comfortable." Most people consider a 20-30 degree bag to be suitable for 3 season camping, and a 0 degree bag for(reasonable) winter camping.

If you wanted to spend a bit more, I'd still get that tent because honestly for bike camping the tent is probably the least demanding aspect. Most of the improvements in more expensive tents(outside of buying $Texas moto specific tents) aren't really relevant to motorcycle camping. I'd pick up this pad and this bag. Not sure if their shipping options will be fast enough though.

I'd try to get an inflatable pad because they tend to be a lot more compact than closed cell pads which makes packing it easier, and sleeping bags basically just get lighter and more compact as you spend more money, with some improvements in materials. Make sure you bring a headlamp if you're going to camp and at least have some kind of "I stuff my clothes in this bag" level solution for a pillow. Also a generic walmart tarp can make strapping wood/random poo poo to your bike a lot more palatable.

Also you should throw your budget out the window and get that Redverz tent, you know you need a garage to work on your bike inside your tent. You need it.

• Locked thread