Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Hi, new to the thread and to motocamping too, and looking for some gear for the coming season. Mainly I was looking for some cooking and stove set and I've got quite an hardon for the Biolite thingy. Looking around in the wood-fired and the gas/fuel free ones I put the Pathfinder bottle and nesting cup set in the cart but can't really decide me. Both the biolite and the pathfinder are awesome but it's really a one person set, meaning that even making a rice or pasta for 2 requires a different pot and I'm not sure they can boil 2 or more liters of water. Any suggest?

Fake ps: nice to see a Tuono in the thread, Aprilia Shiver owner here and loving every single bit and bolt of it :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I was aiming at the MSR Windburner cause I love the way it radiate and spread the heat but it's basically a clone of the Jetboil (or the other way around actually) but now these wood burner kits are making me wiggle. And yes I'm a total pyro on fire.

Have you seen the Firebox Stove + Zebra Billy combo? It's :krad:

Another motorbike related question. For a multiday camping (more like a week than 2 days) can you do it with 50-ish liters of cargo? I only have my beloved Kriega bags and I'll prolly upgrade the backpack from the R25 to the R35 plus the US20 and eventually another 10lt for the tech bag (camera, tablet, ebook, music...). That should include the sleeping bag and the fact that I don't want to starve and eat boiled roots for a week so I need to carry stoves and at least some dried up food.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Has anyone tried the Kriegs R35 for hiking?

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Jazzzzz posted:

I've hiked with the 25 a little bit. It's tolerable but not great - there's no hip belt so the full weight of whatever you're carrying is loaded on your upper body. The other downside is the straps just don't work unless the chest buckle is clipped.

I'd say it's about equal with a standard backpack for hiking, nowhere near as good as a hiking-specific backpack like an Osprey or Deuter.

Weight distribution was exactly my main concern about the R35. As much as you don't want to ride with a backpack taking all the weight down to your waist, you don't want to hike with one taking it all in the middle of your chest. Owning the R25 myself though I must say those sort of waist belts do bring some weight down to your hips (or lower ribs actually), which is good, but I never really loaded it nor took it out for a real hike. If the sucker didn't cost 200 bucks that was less of an issue since it's an amazing backpack for everything but hiking.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 21, 2017

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Separate post for the Firebox, which I received today, tried it on my balcony and grilled some veggies. That thing is fraggin awesome. Buy it. Don't ask. Go. Buy. It. :shepspends:

froody guy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Jeff Sichoe posted:

I gotta stay away from fireboxes etc, as most of the places I camp are in Fire-ban territory :/

Recently I've been using a standard butane / propane burner, but it's freakin' loud when going, and the canisters are larger than i'd like...

SO i just ordered a Trangia Stormcooker set;
http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/en-us/p1716_Trangia_Stormcooker_Set_Series_25_Ultra_Light_Hard_Anodised.html

Anyone got one of these badboys? Running on meths is super handy, can just take a hipflask for fuel, and being able to cook in exposed places is also a plus.
Pretty much same thing here, the fire-ban thing I mean. But if you go hiking in the forest nobody sees you burning twigs in a steel box. That being said, I've got myself a pathfinder alcohol stove. Another amazing piece of kit even if I never used it so far so I can't give any feedback. If you fill it up before leaving and bring an extra flask in your backpack, you can literally cook for weeks before running out of fuel.

As regards alcohol/meth stoves all I know is:
- do NOT use gasoline, you'll die (at least you should) and everybody will laugh at your funeral
- do NOT use denatured alcohol, you won't die but you are dumb anyway
- if Murican, use HEET

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on camping / survival axes / hatchets? I'm really keen to find something about 30-40cm long with a hammerhead on the back of the cutting edge? Bonus points for any sort of firestriker or saw blade functionality?

Picked up a KTM ADV 990 (2007) about 2 weeks ago, so I foresee a whole lot more motocamping in my future!
I wouldn't suggest an hatchet. Anything you do with it you can do it batoning with a good knife, not necessarily expensive either, which you should have anyway so if you're gonna build shelters and do any kind of serious work get an axe. You should look at the 19-21 inches range, good for chopping but still light enough to be carried around and to be used one handed for barking and cleaning branches. Best entry levels are Wetterlings and Helko, at least here in EU. I own a Wetterlings Bushcraft Axe and even if it's pretty much all about chopping and cutting branches but not much about carving and slicing, it's exactly what I was looking for.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 22, 2017

• Locked thread