Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Seconding what M. Night has said about the Hennessey, and hammock camping in general. I have the Hennessey Explorer, velcro bottom entrance. To me, it is the ultimate motocamping shelter because of the lack of poles, weight and size when packed, and ability to pitch almost anywhere without needing level ground. I would highly recommend testing your setup for a few nights first. If you are camping in 50 degrees or under you absolutely want an underblanket. I made the mistake last summer of going deep into the Canadian bush for a fishing trip and did not bring an underblanket. Luckily, I had packed a couple extra fleece blankets that I was able to rig up with some jigs and fishing line. I then packed my extra clothes in between the makeshift underblanket and the bottom of the hammock for extra insulation. After that I was snug as a bug. The underblanket adds weight and mass (the $ ones don't, much) but with a good underblanket you don't need to bring a mummy bag with you, just a top blanket. So, the packed weight and size is negligible. The super shelter system is nice but is really for very cold camping, for trapping all your body heat within the hammock.

My makeshift Canada setup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

nsaP posted:

OKAY HAVE CAMPING FUN NOW GOODBYE

YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER.

I like the make your own hammock idea, but in the summer without a net you will get eaten alive by mosquitoes. For a stove, I use the classic dual fuel Coleman single burner. It's a little heavier but I like the stability and heat adjustability, plus you can siphon gas if needed. However, my cook kit is getting old and dented and needs replacement. Anything decent on Amazon?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I live in Wisconsin where mosquitoes are the size of pterodactyls, so I was concerned that they could bite through the material on the bottom but it hasn't happened. They just buzz around like crazy outside the bug net on the top of the hammock, attracted to the carbon monoxide and heat from your breath :science: . I'm fairly certain they are physically capable of biting through the nylon, but a mosquito's mentality doesn't allow him to make decisions on strategy. They will bounce off the net until they evolve the ability to do otherwise.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

hot sauce posted:

This is often overlooked. Something to sit on makes the campsite far more enjoyable.

I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/TravelChair-1...ds=tripod+chair

Not ultralight, but cheap and is small when folded.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dutymode posted:

There's a mountaineering club here in Chicago that makes bi-weekly trips up to Wisconsin to climb. Yesterday I ordered some inexpensive soft bags, tank bag, tent and sleeping bag. The tent and bag already arrived today, now I just want to set them up in the living room like a little kid.

Where in Sconnie do you go climbing?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

M42 posted:

Hey, I forgot about this thread!

In a similar vein, I'd like to start doing some motocamping next season. I live in VA so the best way to ease in to it would probably be a ride down to the dragon. What I'd specifically want to know is where most people camp when doing trips like that. I'm from europe so I'm used to most land being public property, which is obviously not the case in the states and limits where I can stop overnight. Do most people use koa campgrounds and rv parks and poo poo?

You can use private campgrounds, but most of those types of places are like summer resorts for people with huge trailers to park year round 2 feet away from other huge trailers. Think trailer park. The best camping is at a county or state park. They are generally kept in very good condition, are reasonably priced, have nice scenery, and have restrictions against general jackassery. America is stupid and dumb for many reasons but our park system is not one of them.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Depends on the state, up here they are all over the place but if you were going across the country there are likely some lean areas in flyover country and the desert. Glancing at a Virginia map they appear to be concentrated closer to the Appalachians, but there's a good smattering of them across the whole state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Voltage posted:

Forgot to post pics of my little 1 night solo camping trip up in Roscoe NY -

These are great thanks. I was going to ask what the metal/orange thing is but I figured it out:

https://www.amazon.com/BioLite-BL-CSA-Wood-Burning-Campstove/dp/B00BQHET9O#Ask

What will they think of next. How do you like it?

• Locked thread