Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nothing better than some motocamping. Looks like you have a good plan.

Don't worry too much about water. You'll be stopping every couple hundred miles for gas (and every 50 for your rear end), and every gas station has potable water. Take a couple nalgenes, fill them at your last stop and you'll have plenty overnight for cooking, eating and washing pots if you go beyond MREs. Plus if you're camping at anything above backcountry sites, public or private, they all have water.

20+ bag is good. I get a little cold even in the summer in my 40, but I mostly go north.

If you have a stove and pot and don't want to eat MREs get these things: http://www.knorr.com/product/category/245876/pasta-sides or their rice versions. Half of them taste half decent. You actually don't even need to heat them, throw them in a nalgene with water and they'll be edible in a few hours. But that's disgusting.

Is that tailbag waterproof? If not get a cover or at least throw all your clothes and sleeping bag in a garbage bag before you put it in there. Nothing like wet clothes to ruin a trip. A small drybag and a bungee net is a good way to carry a sleeping bag, too.

Whiskey. Don't forget whiskey.

Where you going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Gorson posted:

YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER.

I like the make your own hammock idea, but in the summer without a net you will get eaten alive by mosquitoes. For a stove, I use the classic dual fuel Coleman single burner. It's a little heavier but I like the stability and heat adjustability, plus you can siphon gas if needed. However, my cook kit is getting old and dented and needs replacement. Anything decent on Amazon?

I got this a couple years ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A...-tfL&ref=plSrch

Solo size has served me well, plenty for one person and doable with two with a little coordination. The nonstick has scratched in a couple places but it's held up well overall, and the bottom flanges or whatever do boil water quick as. A gas canister fits perfectly inside along with a sponge and soap and some other stuff.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Anyone know of good routes or great places to motocamp in West Virginia? Just went down to New River Gorge last week and I'm itching for more.

Seconding this request. I'm headed through in a few weeks on my way to Louisville, I'd love to know where to ride and where to camp.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Never done proper stealth camping (tried once and chickened out) but with a AAA map you can find state/national parks/forests almost everywhere you go. I've camped illegally at canoe put-ins and trail heads. A few times just stopped at bars and asked if I could put a tent up out back, that flies about half the time. But green on the map is pretty reliable and usually doesn't cost more than a few bucks.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Fuuuuck that makes me want to do some dual sport camping.

How was the KLR on those tires? (distanzias?)

• Locked thread