Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
First time poster long time time lerker

Just got back from 4 days in the South Island of NZ.

Camping was good, although Lewis Pass was MIGHTY cold and damp.

Kaikoura
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place...X9UDaYQ_BIIejAK

shitttt I wish I was back there already!

Deer Valley (Lewis Pass)
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place...3!4d172.4?hl=en

Spent about 2 hours trying to light the fire but ALL the wood I could find was just so soaked from the humidity.

until next time keep the fire burning ya'll!

toot toot! lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
haha yeah I cheaped out because I didn't want to drop the $ on a pannier frame - when stones and gravel etc gets in between the back-pad and the exhaust it scratches it up something awful but I really don't give a gently caress ;)

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
I gotta stay away from fireboxes etc, as most of the places I camp are in Fire-ban territory :/

Recently I've been using a standard butane / propane burner, but it's freakin' loud when going, and the canisters are larger than i'd like...

SO i just ordered a Trangia Stormcooker set;
http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/en-us/p1716_Trangia_Stormcooker_Set_Series_25_Ultra_Light_Hard_Anodised.html

Anyone got one of these badboys? Running on meths is super handy, can just take a hipflask for fuel, and being able to cook in exposed places is also a plus.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on camping / survival axes / hatchets? I'm really keen to find something about 30-40cm long with a hammerhead on the back of the cutting edge? Bonus points for any sort of firestriker or saw blade functionality?

Picked up a KTM ADV 990 (2007) about 2 weeks ago, so I foresee a whole lot more motocamping in my future!

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Excellent information, checking out the Wetterlings Bushcraft Axe now, looks pretty spot on! Thanks!

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

Brass Monkey - the Swag loving SUCKED - I wish I had taken my tent...

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Oztrail Biker Swag

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Looks like a nice spot! is that a 950 or 990? :)

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
How did the trip go, dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Looks like a good time man! No tents though? What about mozzies down by the water? Not so much of a problem up your ways I take it!

Hallvard seems like a pretty bad rear end dude! Funny they were dealing with the same problems back then that we still are (foreign tax collection which doesn't benefit the locals so much as prop up the already wealthy)

• Locked thread