Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hi there I have a motorcycle and also like camping

Here is my set up the first time I went bike camping to the Red River Gorge (Sup OSU_Matthew)

I've done some camping since then and a few trips and have figured my poo poo out a bit better

(notice I learned to bag my pillow)

My last trip

Something I learned is to get secondary support for your soft bags. Mine are pretty wasted now, seams are pulling out left and right. I think I overloaded them, whoops

Bike camping is p. sweet tho

Here was my checklist of stuff for my last trip if it helps anyone:

Easily Available

cable ties
tire patch
tire pump

tool kit
kickstand puck

gloves
buff
rain jacket
liners
gopro
garbage bags

book/maps
phone
charger

Tucked Away

tent
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
pillow
chain lube
headlamp
drugs, claritin, benedryl, advil
camelback
toothbrush deodorant
towels
bug repellent
chair
bandages
wet ones
mace
booze

long underwear – rafting polyester
boxers
socks
tshirts
swim trunks
pants
shoes

I never used a hammock but seeing as I have a backpacking trip coming up here it might be a good idea to try one, I likes having the shelter of the tent and space to stash all the poo poo off my bike. It's a lot of poo poo. But I'm liking reading about other people's experiences with the hammocks.

OSU_Matthew hit me up if you ever wanna check out the gorge or w/e, I ride down there for day trips n poo poo.

OKAY HAVE CAMPING FUN NOW GOODBYE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

OSU_Matthew posted:

For sure--Red River is awesome! Ever done Grays Arch to 221/rough trail to the cliff that juts way out into the gorge? That's a phenomenal spot to camp---it's so dark out there you can see the international space station circling the earth every fifteen minutes.

Anyone know of good routes or great places to motocamp in West Virginia? Just went down to New River Gorge last week and I'm itching for more.

New and the Gauley is the spot on WV, I've never really been anywhere else.

I've been down to Grays once a long time ago on a day hike. We do a lot of unofficial trail hikes and then of course all the big ones as well. There are great riding roads down there as well. I mostly car camp but I need to get into backpacking, I got a pack last year and haven't used it and I'm gonna have a bachelor hiking weekend thing coming up here at the end of may.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
For under 200 you're going to be looking on the higher end of cheap stuff. I was doing the same and found a lot of good stuff on amazon. Mine isn't the best setup but you can see the tent and pad here:

There are a lot nice pads that are more compact but they cost. My tent is a cheapo coleman so it's pretty heavy but that's not a big deal for bike camping with my setup. For sleeping bags you can find synthetic ones with compression sacks that get pretty small. In that pic mine is in one of the saddle bags. I think it's a Swiss brand maybe but I dunno. I just went by reviews on amazon and what was in my budget. The pad and bag are still like new, the tent I just tore the pole guide fabric on my last trip but it held up with a bit of duct tape. It's lasted three years so far.

One thing you are going to want is Rok Straps, factor those in as well. They're great, you can kind of see them in the pic holding the pad and tent to the bike.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 25, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

M. Night Skymall posted:

What kind of weather are you planning on camping in? My friend has this Coleman tent and it seemed fine for bike camping. You can probably just grab any Coleman bag(rated appropriately to the weather you're camping in) and pad but I don't have any experience with them so I can't recommend anything specific. Keep in mind ratings are "you won't die" and not "this is comfortable." Most people consider a 20-30 degree bag to be suitable for 3 season camping, and a 0 degree bag for(reasonable) winter camping.

hah, that's my tent. The one pole is a pain because it has to be staked to stand up, it can't stand on it's own. But I got it because it's perfect for one tall person. There is plenty of room for all the poo poo on my bike but it is tall enough in the center that I can put on pants inside it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I like how M42 asks for a tent/bag/pad at a budget of 200 dollars and goons link 200 dollar sleeping pads and 250 dollar tents.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
P. sure Lynza is female but don't blow her cover

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's a decent ride for a day but doable. There are some nice roads down there as well but I figure you'd be mostly climbing with your time.

I've been many times over the years and never been to Miguels. Climber hangout and we're usually cheap camping at cooking ourselves.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://freecampsites.net is a good hopping off point if you don't get any local info, but you have to do your homework on the sites to make sure they're legit.

also they list like wal marts n poo poo too so you gotta filter that crap out.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What tent are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
All my current bike bros are fragile olds with families that require lake houses now

• Locked thread