Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Schroeder91 posted:

Has anyone camped in Death Valley or somewhere near there? I want to go from Phoenix to Death Valley, about 417 miles/6:45 each way. Don't think it's a good idea to go there and back in one day, including the time spent exploring and poo poo, so I figured I'd go and camp somewhere and head back the next day. Anyone have a recommendation for that area? I want to be able to look at the stars and stuff, so I'd want to camp where it is dark and not polluted with light.

I don't have much experience with Death Valley but ask cursedshitbox, he goes there all the time. I think you'd have a pretty hard time finding any place that's not dark as gently caress at night. The NPS campsite page for Death Valley will give you some starters. I have a friend who loves Mahogany Flats. It's 8200 elevation so it'll be cold as poo poo this time of year.

Mojave and areas around is significantly closer to you as well, and has a ton of awesome outback territory and camping areas. I'm always a fan of staying in BLM land because it's basically as unrestricted as you can get when it comes to picking your own campsite and doing what you want. It's a little tough finding good BLM boundary maps online, but I've found National Geographic and Tom Harrison paper maps to be pretty reliable (both available at REI and better outdoorsy stores). You can also order Land Management or Topo maps for various regions from the BLM via the phone in our modern 2016 times :o:

On the subject of maps; if you're bringing an ipad/tablet I love GaiaGPS. It lets you select a custom grid to save locally and use when you're out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service - you can save a Google Sat layer, a USGS topo layer, or others, and even if your device doesn't have a 4g data plan you can still use GPS to pinpoint yourself on the presaved grid. It's money when you're out in the middle of nowhere at some unknown fork in the road - just load up the satellite image layer and see where your options lead!
Do not rely on this over paper maps and basic compass knowledge!!! I always take at least one paper map of the area, plus a self-printed satellite area photo and a good compass, because batteries get weird in the cold and dust. Never underestimate the remoteness of places like Death Valley just because it is a National Park - poo poo like this does happen!

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Don't let your tent blow away!

I spent a night in the Mojave right after Christmas - around 9pm the wind got gnarly so I parked the Jeep directly next to the tent upwind and lashed them together at multiple points. By morning I still had one snapped tent pole and several bent ones :ohdear: It was awesome.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread