Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Are you just loving with me?
Not guilty and innocent have very distinct meanings in legal theory.

enraged_camel posted:

You hear rape victims say that they would rather die than get raped. Well, guess what: a lot of people who are falsely accused of rape also say that they would rather get falsely accused of murder, because living with the stigma of the latter is a lot easier. When a murder suspect is found innocent, that's usually the end of it. Whereas when a male rape suspect is found innocent, a lot of people just assume it was because we live in a patriarchal society and the jury must have been mostly male and he was probably actually guilty, but got away with it. So it follows them for the rest of their lives.
I think this was the point the OP was trying to get across but mangled her (his maybe, I dunno) words. Rape is a horrible, awful crime that was almost accepted for most of human history and sadly even fairly recently in the U.S. and other places. Even now it's an uphill struggle for rape victims (I really can't emphasize this enough but my words fail me) but in some sense the pendulum has swung too far. Due process doesn't apply to men accused of raping women. Even if only 2% of rape claims are spurious or malicious, 2% is a massive number when talking about a nation of hundreds of millions. Of the 90,000 rapes reported in 2007 (U.S.) that means it's likely that there were almost 2000 false allegations. You can't say that these thousands of people don't matter.

Note that a friend of mine stationed on the lovely Kitty was falsely accused of raping an Admiral's daughter about a decade ago. She recanted when pressed for details that would lead to a criminal accusation, but that didn't stop the Navy from handing him his NJP big chicken dinner and effectively ruining his life. Not everyone acquitted of malicious rape allegations have their innocence make national headlines. Saying the Duke boys have normal lives after their accusations so that means false rape accusations aren't really a big deal (wink, nudge) is like saying black people are fairly treated in the justice system because hey, OJ got off right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread