Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I came into a huge betty crocker slow cooker and with my debut meal I slow cooked a giant pork shoulder with honey garlic sauce, sweet potatoes, onions and tomatoes. I used vegetable broth, which I feel was a mistake. The pork was 5lb and I cooked it for 6 hours on high, maybe slightly over cooked the meat. It was still tender as gently caress and tasted delicious. There's tons of recipes online but do you guys have any personal favorites? Any recommendations for does and donts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
I love my slow cooker for particular things such as pulled pork, ground beef chilli and lentil dal. However a lot of things I've tried cooking in it have turned out horrid. I tried jacket potatoes recently and whilst they tasted fine they were a horrible brown colour inside which made me feel ill. A whole chicken comes out all slimy textured and any stew I've tried in it has tasted like rear end to me because the texture was wrong. A lot of my problem is visual or texture but these things are important to me.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Let me tell you about salsa chicken.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Anything stew-like will be ok (not great) in a crockpot. You can make stock, cook beans and lentils (and variations), pulled pork, meaty tomato sauce for pasta.

If it sounds too good to be true to make in a crockpot, like rice, pasta, baked goods or any recipe with the word "roast" in it, it probably is. Don't bother.

choprite
Sep 29, 2007
just about as retarded as you'd think
make black garlic

lay parchment down, place a layer of garlic heads, put the lid on, and set it to low until the cloves are black and sweet

and then buy another slow cooker cause this takes 6 weeks

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Indian lamb or goat curry

Beans (after a "fast soak" rapid boil - rather than a overnight soak - to make sure there's no bean toxins)

With chuck or shin beef:
Hungarian porkolt
bourguignon or carbonade , AKA beef and red wine / beef and beer respectively
Rendang - some say it's supposed to be really dry, but to me, I make them a little wet in a slow cooker. (black beef nasi kandar is supposed to be dry instead)
Chili
E: there's some African beef stews too that often have a mix of curry powder plus western sauces that are OK

That's pretty much all I use mine for, mainly chuck or shin beef. But if I'm short on time in the morning, it's often easier to buy a different cut and do it on the stove or oven in 1-1.5 hours rather than stuff around in the morning.
E: Or use a pressure cooker and get it done quicker all around in the evening

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 9, 2015

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
slow cookers are great if you have lots of extra counter space and hate the maillard reaction

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Bean soup 4 ever

I don't even have a recipe, really.

Put in crock pot:

- A diced onion
- Several carrots, sliced
- Several celery stalks, sliced
- Some herbs (bay leaf, thyme are good)
- A ham bone if you have it, or just some cut up ham works okay
- A lb of quick-soaked white beans
- Cover with chicken stock, maybe 3-4 cups? I just fill 'er up.
- Cook for about 5 hrs on high, 8 hours on low... I think? I put it on high and start checking at 4 hours to see how it's going.

Season with salt AFTER cooking. The ham will be salty and you don't want to overdo it. If you used a ham bone, the meat will be falling off at this point. Take out the bone, shred/chop the meat, chuck the meat back in.

Quick-soaked beans:

- Take a pound of beans, and put them in a pot covered with cold water by about 3". Bring to a boil, boil for 3 minutes. Take off the heat, cover, and wait an hour. Drain before adding to the crockpot.

I like to use the hour that the beans are soaking to make chicken stock with my pressure cooker. It only takes about 20-30 minutes to cook, but that gives me time to assemble, cook, strain, and de-fat before putting in the soup.

...you could make chicken stock in your slow cooker, too.

- Put in a couple chicken carcasses, or a carcass and a leg-n-thigh quarter. Super cheap, and I think it adds a nice meaty flavor.
- Add some rough chopped carrots, celery, and onion. Seriously, I cut each carrot/celery into 3 pieces and just quarter the onion.
- Add some herbs. I buy pre-mixed bouquet garni herb mix, and put it in a spice ball with a handful of black peppercorns. Or, tie up in a cheesecloth sachet. Also chuck a bay leaf in there.
- Fill up with water.
- Cook for like 6-8 hours or until it smells delicious, strain, and use in whatever.

EVG fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 9, 2015

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Croatoan posted:

Let me tell you about salsa chicken.

I actually like salsa chicken. It's easy to make and tastes pretty good if you use a good quality salsa. Also pretty much pre-mixedtaco/burrito filling. Slight texture issue for some but overall far from a bad meal. Cheap as hell, too.

choprite
Sep 29, 2007
just about as retarded as you'd think

ZetsurinPower posted:

slow cookers are great if you have lots of extra counter space and hate the maillard reaction

keep it in a cabinet when you're not using it?

and thats a false idea, you can make a deepdish pizza in a crockpot all with crispy crust and browned cheese up at the edges

grease your cooker
put some pizza dough down in there, like a whole pizza's worth of dough for a 5qt slow cooker
lay some melty cheese down on the dough and kinda up the sides of the cooker
put some sauce and toppings on the cheese
put more cheese on, and put more sauce and toppings and maybe more cheese? you can probably go fill it up if you want a pizza casserole thing happening in there but maybe you don't want that.

leave on high for 2 hours, maybe more, depends on how much dough/topping you have going in there

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I'm going to go lie down

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

choprite posted:

keep it in a cabinet when you're not using it?

and thats a false idea, you can make a deepdish pizza in a crockpot all with crispy crust and browned cheese up at the edges

grease your cooker
put some pizza dough down in there, like a whole pizza's worth of dough for a 5qt slow cooker
lay some melty cheese down on the dough and kinda up the sides of the cooker
put some sauce and toppings on the cheese
put more cheese on, and put more sauce and toppings and maybe more cheese? you can probably go fill it up if you want a pizza casserole thing happening in there but maybe you don't want that.

leave on high for 2 hours, maybe more, depends on how much dough/topping you have going in there

jesus christ, no. Look, there is some crazy crockpot hate in GWS, and not all of it is warranted. But it's recipes like these that give crockpots (and the people that use them for PIZZA) a bad name. A crockpot CANNOT do everything.

Things a crockpot can do: braise, stew, simmer gently, soak, steam

Things a crockpot cannot do: brown, sear, roast, bake, MAKE PIZZA

If you want piles of undercooked, steamed dough with mushy tomato sauce and steamed cheese on top, by all means, make this recipe. But don't call it pizza, wtf. We have a thread for pizza making, you should check that out.

If you want to make an Italian tomato saucy thing in your crockpot, then make some meatballs (browned in a pan or a hot oven first) and throw them and some Italian sausages (browned in a pan first) and some pork cuts or braciole or whatever into some good canned tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil and let that go for a while. Bam, yummy Italian meats to go over pasta (DO NOT PUT THAT PASTA IN THE POT).

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

If you want to make an Italian tomato saucy thing in your crockpot, then make some meatballs (browned in a pan or a hot oven first) and throw them and some Italian sausages (browned in a pan first) and some pork cuts or braciole or whatever into some good canned tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil and let that go for a while. Bam, yummy Italian meats to go over pasta (DO NOT PUT THAT PASTA IN THE POT).

You can put the pasta in the pot, just gotta cook it first and wait till the end before mixing it in (macaroni/rotini styles only. No spaghetti or long stuff like that)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Crazyeyes posted:

You can put the pasta in the pot, just gotta cook it first and wait till the end before mixing it in (macaroni only. No spaghetti or similar)

But, if you're not cooking it in the pot, what's the point then??? If you want to actually finish the pasta in the sauce, which is a completely acceptable and good thing to do, you need to do that over heat. So really you'd drain the pasta, return it back to the pot you cooked it in, then add sauce from the crockpot over heat to finish the pasta.

And why macaroni, but not spaghetti?? Both will turn to mush at the same rate in a crockpot.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 10, 2015

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You can make caramelized onions in the crock pot - http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-caramelize-onions-in-the-slow-cooker-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193413

Like, a lot of them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whenever I've got some leftover veggies I don't know what to do with, half a parsnip here couple bits of celery root there, I throw them all together in the crock pot with a butternut squash, or sweet potato, or rutabaga, something custardy and mashable like that. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, a little bit of oil, then take an immersion blender to it when all the contents are nice and soft. Delicious side to any protein when you get home from work.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

This changes everything. Thank you.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Have you tried this?
Reading some of the comments right now. Some issues brought up is the smell (a few people mentioned they did this outdoors because of it), others mentioned rank or slimey onions (slow cooker on low might not get warm quick enough to stop the onions enzymes breaking down, unlike a pan/skillet - preheating for a few hours may help though). Last issue is a lot said too much liquid left over and using less oil/butter helps, another said cooks illustrated recommends microwaving the onions first to get some moisture out.

So anyway, if you've tried it, is any of those comments/issues valid?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 10, 2015

Miss Ginger
May 16, 2011
Prepare to fall in love

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Pea soup

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Pea soup.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/slow-cooker-split-pea-soup

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Make a roast. Make red beans and rice. Make three pea soup/split pea soup.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

GreaseGunner posted:

Make a roast

How does one cook meat with hot dry air in a slow cooker?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

d3rt posted:

How does one cook meat with hot dry air in a slow cooker?

If you like grey steamed beef which some people seem to.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Pot roast. :colbert:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

A stew minus cutting up the meat first.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Fo3 posted:

So anyway, if you've tried it, is any of those comments/issues valid?
Yes, I tried their recipe and it was loving foul. It all ended up gray and slimy, and smelled super gross (not like onions -- I wouldn't have minded if my kitchen smelled like delicious onions). Nothing was salvageable. I didn't think it would work well, but onions are cheap enough I figured it was worth a shot anyway.

I didn't realize ATK had a take. I would give their method a try.
e: duhh it's in Slow Cooker Revolution which was literally 5' away from my sad kitchn experiment. OP, get Slow Cooker Revolution and leave the Christian frugal mommyblogs alone

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 19, 2015

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

d3rt posted:

A stew minus cutting up the meat first.

Exactly, but that reminds me. Make a stew.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It makes good tajines.

Assuming you brown the meat first, you can also make a banging leg of lamb in a slow cooker.

Chilis, stews and soups also work really well.

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

It makes good tajines.

Assuming you brown the meat first, you can also make a banging leg of lamb in a slow cooker.

Chilis, stews and soups also work really well.

I put a lamb shoulder on top of some halved onions and 500ml of chicken stock when i left for work this morning.
It'll be on low for about 7-8 hours and will be tender as a motherfucker by this evening!!

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
One of my favorites is to throw some beef shank (seared on the stove first, of course) in the slow cooker with a bottle of cheap red wine, some shallot, onion, garlic, a few dashes of worcestershire, a bunch of rosemary, lots of black pepper, and baby leaves. Low for 8-10 hours, uncovered for the last hour or two so that the wine reduces a bit. Serve our blue cheese mashed potatoes with veg. Pretty tasty stuff, very easy to do, and (at least in my grocery) shank goes on clearance quite a bit because midwestern white people are scared of food.

fujifisher
Sep 3, 2006

Hi there!
I've made this recipe a few times and it's pretty amazing with a few modifications - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup/

1. Don't use precooked chicken. Throw in 2-3 raw breasts and take them out and shred them after about 5 hours on Low. Then throw them back in and cook everything for another 30 mins-1hr.
2. Cook onions/garlic in a pan before adding to slow cooker.
3. Instead of the 2 cups water and 14.5 oz chicken broth just use all chicken broth (~4 cups). Use homemade broth if possible (it loving owns with homemade broth)
4. Add a can of rinsed/drained black beans.

Also if you made your own enchilada sauce instead of using the canned stuff I'm sure it would be even better. I'm too lazy and have never done that myself.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Carnitas is pretty easy: get a big ol' pork shoulder. Put it in the crockpot with a little beer or stock, no need to cover just something to keep it moist. You can also coat the pork in a spice rub and put in some chopped chiles in at this point, if you like. Cook it on low for 8 hours. It's pretty forgiving if you need to go longer. After that, drain any excess liquid, shred the pork with a couple of forks and mix in salt and spices. I tend to use salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, all kinds of chili powder, oregano and a little cumin.

You can just eat that with cheese in tortillas, or use it on nachos, or whatever you're into.

"Kahlua Pork" variant: cover the pork in kosher salt and add liquid smoke before you cook. Cook, shred, check the salt level and enjoy.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My wife found some good recipes (asian honey chicken, seasame chicken, buffalo chicken, gyros, carnitas...) through a group called The Crock Pot Slow Cooker Girls.

Beans go without saying. As does rotel for parties.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Parties? Hot mulled wine, cider, or beer :getin:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I came into a huge betty crocker slow cooker

Well, I can tell you right now most recipes don't call for this.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

VideoTapir posted:

Well, I can tell you right now most recipes don't call for this.

:hf:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm using mine today to make oxtail in chile verde. Before work I browned off oxtail and onion and I put it in the crockpot with chopped tomatillos, garlic, a whole bunch of roasted hatch chiles, cumin, oregano, and a little water, and set it all to low. When I get home I'll adjust the seasonings and serve with rice or tortillas or something. This is like a multiple times a week sort of thing to do.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

They are great because you can, over time, develop quite a routine. Wake up, brown off some stuff and throw in crock. Set to low and come home that night to food aplenty and enough for leftovers. Do again the next day and bring your leftovers for lunch with you to work.

I am making salsa chicken in my crockpot right now. gently caress the haters. Found some awesome southwest black bean and corn salsa at a little shop down the road and it's gonna be tasty as hell. Gonna throw in some lime juice and perhaps a bit more corn near the end of the cook. It aint fancy, but it's filling and pretty nutritious and great on tortillas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Crazyeyes posted:

I am making salsa chicken in my crockpot right now.

You had me until this.

• Locked thread