Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Used to play this game all the time with my buddy. Great two player game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

ilmucche posted:

Used to play this game all the time with my buddy. Great two player game.

ilmucche! Hey man, good to see ya again. I know we didn't really give the game a fair shot but I guess with 2 players and all the guns unlocked, it could be fun. Still I wish you could do some cool jumps somewhere.

Alright, back to the LPs, and back to Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam. In this video, we get a good look at the last two locations in the game, Chicago and The Alps. Chicago takes place inside one big mall, while the Alps takes you down the side of a mountain as you weave around crevasses, sharp rocks and then through village streets. Also, I take you back to a race in an earlier block to check out the end of a level that we haven't actually seen yet. And man, it looks pretty great.

Let's Play Tony Hawk Downhill Jam Part 10 - Checking Out Chicago & Alps

Text Link

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Back to Yanya Caballista, and unfortunately, this is where it all goes wrong. This loving trainwreck of a level takes the bullshit from 0 to 100 flat. This is the introduction to the Topper Gawoo, whose gimmick is that they don't get hurt by 'simple tricks' and you need to do a big trick to take them out (basically, you drain all their health at once or none of it). And since this is the 4th of 5 levels, the enemy levels jump up to be level 8-10, which for the toppers means you need to do some huge, intricate tricks all of a sudden. Also, the actual level sucks and the boss can wreck you easily if you get unlucky. Basically, gently caress this level. I don't want to say 'gently caress this game' though because...*sigh* the beginning was so good...

Let's Play Yanya Caballista Part 3 - Prison Island

Text Link

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That gawoo trick gauge diary entry sounds like something I would write. Obviously the super mick rccrank would one shot that boss.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
It really sucks the difficulty ramps up too quickly to be enjoyable. I feel like they should have given you more time to allow the player to adjust to the drastic jump in difficulty. Also enjoying the post-post-commentary additions as well, that should be another thing to incorporate to your style of LPing, because it helps you to stand out more, in my opinion.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

It really sucks the difficulty ramps up too quickly to be enjoyable. I feel like they should have given you more time to allow the player to adjust to the drastic jump in difficulty. Also enjoying the post-post-commentary additions as well, that should be another thing to incorporate to your style of LPing, because it helps you to stand out more, in my opinion.

Really? I added those Post-Post-comm things in just because I felt like I didn't say what I should have said. I think they'd be distracting if I had them in every video, especially once a game is underway and the commentary is a little more freeform. Yanya Caballista just doesn't stop introducing new things, and moments like this deserve to be serious. More serious than normal, that is. I guess, when would you want to see those extra inserts? What situations would/should they come up in?

Speaking of irreverent gameplay and commentary, we have another Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam to watch. Here, I grind more rails, do more tricks, and use more boost. A lot more boost. A LOOOOOOT OF BOOST. I CANT STOP. STOP THE BOOST.

Let's Play Tony Hawk Downhill Jam Part 11 - Making it to Sensei

Text Link

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Really? I added those Post-Post-comm things in just because I felt like I didn't say what I should have said. I think they'd be distracting if I had them in every video, especially once a game is underway and the commentary is a little more freeform. Yanya Caballista just doesn't stop introducing new things, and moments like this deserve to be serious. More serious than normal, that is. I guess, when would you want to see those extra inserts? What situations would/should they come up in?

Oh, I thought that was just you poking fun at the whole LP commentary shtick in a meta way by adding another layer to it. Usually, if you had to add/fix something, you just did it with those overlays on YouTube, and I assumed the post-post-comm was a more visually engaging way of doing that.

Back on topic, that glitch in the BOOST level was very jarring. For that moment, you dislocated physic's shoulder and relocated it back in. Also, I miss finding fictional guest stars in most video games nowadays.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

Oh, I thought that was just you poking fun at the whole LP commentary shtick in a meta way by adding another layer to it. Usually, if you had to add/fix something, you just did it with those overlays on YouTube, and I assumed the post-post-comm was a more visually engaging way of doing that.

It was just a troubled, sketchy recording of a troubled, sketchy level where i was more annoyed than clear on what I was trying to say. I'll keep the format I used in mind if I really want to fix something I say in a video but that shouldn't happen too often.

Now, if the previous level of Yanya Caballista was a right hook to the face, this one is...at least still a slap. It's not as terrible a level and not as frustrating an experience as Prison Island, but the layout of the enemies means you can end up wasting some good time if you don't know exactly what you're doing, and the boss will probably waste a good chunk of that time as well. This is one of those levels where I want you to watch it and decide if I just did it poorly or if the game stumbled once again.

Either way, we've tracked down the last of the Gawoo and we're gonna give them everything we've got to get them off our planet.

Let's Play Yanya Caballista City Skater Part 4 - Ruins & Canals

Text Link

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
On this episode of Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, we inch every closer to our goal of being the best Jammer of all, and we also hear back fro someone that's been out of my series for a while! That's right everyone, he's posted in the thread but the youtube kiddies don't know that, so say hello again to ilmucche!

Let's Play Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam Part 12: A Blast From the Past

Text Link

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Man, they removed the PS2 tag from this forum and now it's doubly hard to find the thread. I guess I'm just gonna have to do a campaign or something to return it to its rightful place. Either way, here's another Yanya Caballista. What you thought was the end is only the halfway point! Now, the skating crew must escape the strange and backwards levels of...the Flip Side.

Let's Play Yanya Caballisto Part 5 - Flip Side Levels 1 & 2

Text Link

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Yeah, it's pretty much wrecked it up in here. Ah well. I'll keep posting as I keep playing, at least until the end of these games. But yeah, if I end up closing down, subscribe on youtube or something to see the videos I'll keep putting out.

Let's Play Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam Part 13: More of the 'mucche

Text Link

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Why don't you just use the tag instead if it bothers you that much. :shrug:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Why don't you just use the tag instead if it bothers you that much. :shrug:

someone get me that tag but make it like explode, then it says extreme sports thx plz, this aint basketball.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Also, holy crap, they really did make a Kindergarten Cop 2. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkfKechADow

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

We were all better off not having known. I'm sorry.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkfKechADow

WHY IS DOLPH LUNDGREN STARRING IN SO MUCH poo poo?

Dolph Lundgren is always...just...willing to dive right in on crappy sequels when they can't get the original actor back or anyone close to him. It's insane.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ovues posted:

Dolph Lundgren is always...just...willing to dive right in on crappy sequels when they can't get the original actor back or anyone close to him. It's insane.

This isn't a sequel, but it's crappily amazing. The trailer leaves out one important fact: Dolph has full blown panic attacks when he sees things that are white. That scene about 1:25 in? Milk pasteurization plant.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

ilmucche posted:

Dolph has full blown panic attacks when he sees things that are white

He'd fit right in at Tumblr. :v:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

ilmucche posted:

This isn't a sequel, but it's crappily amazing. The trailer leaves out one important fact: Dolph has full blown panic attacks when he sees things that are white. That scene about 1:25 in? Milk pasteurization plant.

:wtc: :wtc: :wtc:

You know, blanktester and I have a sort-of soft ban on below-PG13-rated movies for bad movie night because watching a crappy inoffensive family movie is so much worse than watching a poorly-acted, poor-CGI trainwreck like Cowboys vs. Dinosaurs (holy crap everyone go watch this). Kindergarten Cop 2 might just sneak itself onto the list if it's on Netflix.

But seriously Dolph, you signed off on In The Name of the King 2 AND Kindergarten Cop 2? What are you doing?

Okay, back to the games. Last week, you all saw Yanya Cabaliista kick off the second half of the game, bringing you a twist on its gameplay that actually made sense and provided for a different type of challenge. But now, here's where Flip Side really gets tested: Can it make Prison Island fun bearable not horrible? Find out in part 6 of Yanya Caballista: City Skater, where I bust the sickest tricks and you finally get to see what TOP TIER gameplay for this game looks like. Maybe.

Let's Play Yanya Caballista: City Skater Part 6 - Flip Side Levels 3 & 4

Text Link

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Dang, you got an S rank from that level. Probably to compensate for the horrible level design in the Front Side of Prison Island. And I've never noticed the attack patterns till you guys mentioned it, so I'd probably rewatch some of the other videos and see what the other skaters have to deliver.

And speaking on topic, Yanya Caballista would be a "so bad it's good" movie just purely based on the premise alone. Who would play the skaters in that theoretical movie?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

And speaking on topic, Yanya Caballista would be a "so rad it's good" movie just purely based on the premise alone. Who would play the skaters in that theoretical movie?

FTFY. I don't know who would star in the movie but I'm imagining some hybridization of a Marvel superhero movie and a 2000s Disney Channel original movie. And yes, I need that in my life.

So, I have 2 videos for you today and also no thumbnails cuz oh man I am so busy. Here is part 14 of Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, wherein we unlock the last set of events and drop some mad horse facts on you listeners, as well as the final episode of Yanya Caballista, wherein we kick King Gawoo's booty again for...uhh...the sixth thime.

Let's Play Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam Part 14: The Final Stretch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNLD0Tw7LqA

Let's Play Yanya Caballista City Skater Part 7 - Flip Side, Level 5 (Ending)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk6nmoJBIkA

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Just realized this would make a lot more sense if I actually posted the link. Bask in the glory of Blackjack!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quhutIZpYSA

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

ilmucche posted:

Just realized this would make a lot more sense if I actually posted the link. Bask in the glory of Blackjack!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quhutIZpYSA

Oh man, that's going on the list too. Hey, have you seen "Blood Money" or "Fire With Fire" or "Lethal"? Those are also some 'excellent' action movies.

Alright, well, it's time to get to the last events of Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam. Here, we finally catch up to the Unknown skater and face him down in a 1v1 battle. Let's see what we get for powering all the way through this game.

Let's Play Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam Part 15: The Final Fight

Text Link

After this, we'll have a bonus video, and maybe some Let's NOT Plays, before we jump on the next game. And I think you're gonna love the next game. It's gonna have some hot X rated action...some hot XXX rated action, that is...

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, before we round Downhill Jam out, we're just going to get the first part in a 2-part look at one of the few wakeboarding games out there. In my series, this sport pretty much has a 1-for-1 level of quality games with that Wakeboarding Unleashed game (which I cannot recommend enough), but let's jump back a console generation and take a peek at a game in the Simple 1500 series, Burstrick: Wakeboarding!!. The exclamation marks are mandatory. Either way, this was supposed to be a one-shot but, kinda like X-Bladez, I ended up getting much further into the game than I thought I would. So you will get 2 videos.

Let's NOT Play Burstrick: Wakeboarding!! (Part 1/2)

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 15, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

My eyes.:psypop:
The logo and the game itself are like tropical parrots in a blender but the menu was aggressively grey.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is... definitely using polygons to do things polygons are not yet capable of. I'll give it that.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

My eyes.:psypop:
The logo and the game itself are like tropical parrots in a blender but the menu was aggressively grey.

I guess it's kind of amazing a PS1 game was able to emulate going blind by staring at the sun too long, like I'm Ray Charles or something.

Hopefully you guys noticed that even though I went storming through those levels after my initial failure, they still haven't given me any more continues or lives. I hope that doesn't end up being a problem when I'm much further in...

Anyways, Tony Hawk has stuck around far past the point where we expected him to leave. But now, with one final bonus video, we're kicking him out the door. In this bonus video, we're checking out some extra events I didn't show off (either with good reason or just cool things I missed along the way), showing some alternate characters and character skins, and then showing the mismash of myriad crap that's stuck in the "Extras" menu of the game.

Let's Play Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam Bonus Episode: Extra Events/Character Skins/Videos

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I can see how the next game would be a natural progression after Jam's "this floor is piss" events.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

taking off our shirts, 'bout to make these wakeboards burs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrU_ef7DQgs
Game looks terrible.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

ilmucche posted:

taking off our shirts, 'bout to make these wakeboards burs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrU_ef7DQgs
Game looks terrible.

Man, gmcfosho is great, I spin his albums everytim im feeling down... i play em all at once for maximum effect.

Anyways, here's part 2 of Burstrick Wakeboarding, though that's not the main reason for this post. You'll see afterwards.

Let's NOT Play Burstrick: Wakeboarding!! (Part 2/2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkf91DGAH4Y

But here's the main event - one more game for this thread. One more legacy game that I've been saving for some unspecified reason. This is one of the most infamous games in this genre from this era. This...is BMX XXX

T 'n A on BMX: Let's Play BMX XXX

What is this game?
BMX XXX was INTENDED to be the third game in the popular Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX series of games. Z-Axis, the same developers as before, were set to make another in the series, but something went wrong...horribly wrong. They (or the publishers maybe) decided to change this game up and take it in a raunchy, lewd and crude direction, filling the game and levels with dick jokes, immaturity, and stereotypes across the board. Needless to say, Dave Mirra was out and he pulled all likeness rights away from Z-Axis. In fact, everyone did. So, the edginess was all this game had to sell itself on, and it didn't sell well. Not to mention that the PS2 version (of all 3, not the Gamecube one, the PS2 one) had to be censored with all nudity removed before it could even be released.

Aside from the obviously bad atmosphere, the gameplay and engine are basically Dave Mirra 2.5, and it's basically the same game as before with some additions and changes to the progression system as well as more tricks you can do. You have a ton of tricks to do, and a lot of variety to get points, but you can still crash on basically anything and just flop about, losing big chunks of your health bar. Still, this will definitely be an experience, so make sure to buckle in.

Let's Play BMX XXX Part 1 - The Bronx (1/2)

Text Link

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I really had no idea what they were thinking with this one, its like they knew it would'nt end well, but they kept going anyway.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
I remember reading a lot of articles in the Official Playstation Magazine, most of them more or less going, "what the gently caress".

It more or less has the tone only to propel it, as the engine didn't seem to have a lot different to it. As opposed to Tony Hawk's Underground, which added a lot more and made the tone different, in a much...slightly...respected way. Enough that Tony felt comfortable, as opposed to Dave Mirra and THIS game.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

AmewTheFox posted:

I remember reading a lot of articles in the Official Playstation Magazine, most of them more or less going, "what the gently caress".

It more or less has the tone only to propel it, as the engine didn't seem to have a lot different to it. As opposed to Tony Hawk's Underground, which added a lot more and made the tone different, in a much...slightly...respected way. Enough that Tony felt comfortable, as opposed to Dave Mirra and THIS game.

Yeah, it feels like Z-Axis were one game away from really adding to the engine and adding features. I mean, between this and Aggressive Inline, it's so obviously an A team / B team type deal where Aggresive Inline felt much better, had interesting additions, had better-designed levels, and didn't have a stupid aesthetic. BMX XXX is worse in all those categories and, like I keep mentioning, feels like they took the core engine, added a few things and barely tried to improve on anything. Maybe if they...well...didn't release this, the next BMX game could have been much improved and modern like how Tony Hawk kept evolving. But...well, yeah. No sense dwelling on what could have been.

Man, Tony Hawk Underground 1 was great. It was just so solid. I still remember riding around Jersey bustin' sick tricks and...well...I should save that phrase in case I ever do end up making a series for it. Then Underground 2 happened.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tombot posted:

I really had no idea what they were thinking with this one, its like they knew it would'nt end well, but they kept going anyway.
Yeah, yellow rings on yellow water was a bad idea.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Well boys, how about we up the ante here on BMX XXX? Rounding out the Bronx, we stop a making GBS threads dog, lead to a homeless man's (probable) demise, and get an...interesting...reward for completing one of the challenges. Hop to it boys, this game ain't gonna LP itself!

Let's Play BMX XXX Part 2 - The Bronx (2/2)

Text Link

Sorry for the late update. I'm down in New Orleans for a college team trip and I was too busy to post until now

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Did you know that to know where the gaps are you have to type in a cheat?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Did you know that to know where the gaps are you have to type in a cheat?

Yeah, I actually played around a little bit with that, only to get stuck at 19/20 gaps on the first level because I seriously couldn't find the markers for the last gap. Some of the 'trajectories' they give you are just awful.

Speaking of awful, let's get out of the Bronx and head to a level that can be massively confusing, and not only because when you crash, you might end up in Narnia or something. It's The Dam!

Let's Play BMX XXX Part 3: The Dam (1/2)

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 30, 2016

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I'm just shocked that the designers were okay with taping an entire outhouse onto the bike model, regardless of how doing tricks would make said outhouse clip all over the geometry. Also, is it impossible to grind on the ropes when transporting those constipated workers? I can't help but notice you were taking the long way around for one of them.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

I'm just shocked that the designers were okay with taping an entire outhouse onto the bike model, regardless of how doing tricks would make said outhouse clip all over the geometry. Also, is it impossible to grind on the ropes when transporting those constipated workers? I can't help but notice you were taking the long way around for one of them.

I probably could have, but I didn't really want to deal with jumping off the ledge back onto those wires. Instead, I guess I decided to deal with a jump you can only clear half the time. It's a living!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Posting late for episode 4, but in this video, we finish up level 2 and...um...fall through the ground a couple times...yeah, it's that type of game...

Let's Play BMX XXX Part 4 - The Dam (2/2)

Text Link

• Locked thread