Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I doubt he'll actually die, but he stands to straight up lose most of his remaining humanity (5 down to 2) in trying to crash the system down with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The only thing worse than death is life without humanity

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
How do people find LARPs these days? One World By Night and Mind's Eye Theater are their own separate game networks now, yeah? What are the big boffer groups out in New England? Do any of the "find an independant game" newsgroups still run.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

How do people find LARPs these days? One World By Night and Mind's Eye Theater are their own separate game networks now, yeah? What are the big boffer groups out in New England? Do any of the "find an independant game" newsgroups still run.

One World by Night and the Camarilla/Mind's Eye Society have always been separate game networks. Mind's Eye Theatre is just the name for the LARP version of the game that they both have used. There is also Underground Theatre (though that seems to be running on life support) and there are a couple of others like Winding Path Initiative (which has literally 5 games in their chronicle) which are essentially splinter groups.

OWbN still uses the old Laws of <stuff> books, with 20 years of house rules, custom content, ongoing plots including crossover plots, and 20 year old PCs in some instances. I most recently attempted to play a Sabbat LARP with them and, beyond the schizophrenic nature of how the Sabbat is presented, playing a new 30 XP PC in a game where the external conflicts were designed for characters with 1000 XP is... daunting, to say the least. Through some of their Facebook contacts there have also been some very hefty complaints about some of the most recent plots, such as a Changing Breeds/Changeling crossover global plot of some sort (this seems to be a common occurrence, crossover plots).

Mind's Eye Society uses a variety of systems; their Masquerade chronicle uses the By Night Studios books with a few house rules, and significant world building materials and requirements for approvals. Their NWoD/ChronD games are based around 'all the splats in SPACE!' or 'all the splats vs the God Machine'. But hey, they allow Beast in their mixed genre games, so... The Mind's Eye Society can be fun but that depends on a lot of factors. MES is about to reset next summer to do an 'all new, all different' Masquerade chronicle that probably won't be anything 'all new, all different' like most of their chronicles. Not sure if they have an Apocalypse chronicle using the new Apoc book, and the MES is planning for (SURPRISE!) a Dreaming chronicle when that book comes out and a Dark Ages chronicle (so it'll be lots of people in t-shirts with nametags saying Plate Mail [Crafts 5] instead of the same with Armani Suit [Crafts 5] and a few costumers). Hard pass.

UT and WPI seem to use By Night Studios only but I don't know anyone playing any of those groups.

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 29, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Thanks a billion, Moon Knight! I think the guidelines I'm going to use are

- in-character beef settled with a single throw of chops. No retests, results are binding for the remainder of the session only.
- items & abilities earned in-chronicle cannot be taken out of chronicle
- meeting with other splats CAN provide dots in "X Lore" if you spend XP for it.
- no combat because the all-powerful mages who hold this space forbid it
- non-gamers who come for the poetry will be assigned character archetypes with a "mission card" in the vein of "discover the process of creating new vampires." this should give them a 1-3 point XP boost if they want to start in one of the local games.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

GNU Order posted:

There is nothing more liberating in a plot-heavy tabletop game than deciding you’re ready for a character to die in a blaze of glory/chaos.

During our LARP sessions where big/pivotal events take place, the ST's always say "text us if you don't want your character to survive the night."

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I know that I’m horribly biased, but could I add Signs of Sorcery to the Awakening list?

For Requiem, I would say

The Clanbooks
Damnation City
A Thousand Year’s of Night
Night Horrors: Wicked Dead

Seconding this. Those on top of Secrets of the Covenants and maybe The Blood if you want an in perspective look at how vampirism and their skills feel to the characters pretty much fills out the setting.

Maybe Danse Macabre too if you want to fill out the setting with more esoteric covenants and alternate universe stuff.

Actually, there's a Hunter book (I think? Don't quote me on it.) that does a lot of justice to AU settings and adds lots of minor character related stuff. It includes content like an early precursor to hero's that aren't shackled to Beast or it's horrible abuse apologia themes (TL;DR: They're basically your typical action hero from your favorite media. Think the grizzled noir detective as one of many possible examples.). It also has crazy stuff like "What if it was a high fantasy setting?" or "What if mages/something broke the world in an entirely different way that resulted in a world where part of humanity was aware of the supernatural?" like the Woundgate setting.

Also, the Woundgate setting introduces the idea that vampires can substitute blood for a rare type of plant. Then of course some of them do like vampires in the NWoD/CofD do and promptly cock it up by being evil jerks after they figure out that blood apparently grows said plant faster. Not a big deal but if the players in a game want to go the way of escaping or curing vampirism in the game then it could help set the theme of the mechanics to that effect.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 30, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So our The Lost game is finally off to a good start..

We left the keepers during a large battle in the Hedge between several fae armies, having been subservient to 2-3 different ones. We were all taken in Hamelin, Germany, though we have lost different amounts of time (5-25 years). Now to my problem: The dim-witted Beast in the party brought a decapitated head with him out of the Hedge, for reasons that happened in the Prologue and he seems unable to explain.

The face has both Mask and Mien, appearing as a mouthless Manikin-ish head behind a mask of a jolly expo robot of some kind. My character was enslaved to a fae known as the Dollmaker, and helped him create and repair other Clockwork changelings like herself. The head communicates to her via telepathy that it needs a mouth, and in a fugue-like state she remembers what she did, and builds a mouth for the head. Narrowly making a clarity check, she runs to the toilet and vomits in terror.

Now fully verbal, it shouts that it's name is FERNANDO and that it was kidnapped by the Dollmaker out of Argentina. Berating the beast for shoving it in a bag and pleading for help getting it's body bag, an NPC older changeling caretaker keeping us safe shoots the suggestion down. We learn that the fae still sends hunters and spies to get escaped changelings back.

Clearly, we love Fernando and would like to keep him, but the prospect of returning to their keepers scare our characters shitless. While no one is prepared to just put him in a bag and chuck it in the Hedge or kill him, we can't have a keeper spy around. Problem is, we can hardly pledge him to be truthful, as the resources we'd have to offer him are staggering. In case he's guilty, he can just say "yeah, what are you gonna do about it" and use the massive traits we gave him to gently caress us up.

What would you do at this point?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... is Beast a type of changeling? You don't have a Beast: The Abuse Elementals character in your game?

EDIT: also if your character retains the skills when not being telepathically manipulated into using them (which seems awfully suspicious to me, a person not very familiar with changeling) couldn't you just make them a new body?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Zereth posted:

... is Beast a type of changeling? You don't have a Beast: The Abuse Elementals character in your game?

Yes, Beast is a type of changeling. Beast is the Seeming for changelings who emerge from the Durance with the traits of wild or domesticated animals, often having spent their time in Faerie as mere beasts to populate the Gentry's glades or serve them as hunting hounds.

So that's another point against Beast: the Primordial: stole a major preexisting splat title that fit better where it was already.

If you really want to play paranoid hardball and not take a few risks on behalf of a clearly suffering fellow person, why would you have to give him staggering benefits in exchange for an oath of loyalty? He could certainly refuse to swear an oath that didn't offer him much benefit to swear, but you could also certainly refuse to keep lugging a head around in a bag, and the head's not going to have much it can do about that.

But seriously, be the change you want to be in the world. Take a few risks. Help Fernando.

Shouldn't this thread get locked or something so that we don't have people simultaneously posting here and in the new Of Darkness Megathread?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I Am Just a Box posted:

Yes, Beast is a type of changeling. Beast is the Seeming for changelings who emerge from the Durance with the traits of wild or domesticated animals, often having spent their time in Faerie as mere beasts to populate the Gentry's glades or serve them as hunting hounds.

So that's another point against Beast: the Primordial: stole a major preexisting splat title that fit better where it was already.
My favourite (by which I mean the most frustrating and rage-inducing, for me) case of Chronicles of Darkness terminology confusion is that in Mage a Rote is a spell you know particularly well and get particular benefits on rolling on, and a Rote roll is a type of die roll for a task you're particularly good at, and they work loving differently.

This is one of the reasons why I don't do crossover: when you get game jargon overlap even within a single splat's interactions with the core rules, including other splats in your game just makes it even more of a nightmare. In a game with a sufficient range of different splat presents, having an ordinary English-language conversation which doesn't have some inadvertent in-game meaning becomes near-impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
It looks like we have a fresh thread now, see you folks over there :frogc00l: