Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I guess if Changeling is going to be Hunter, it's only fair that Beast is going to be Changeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
*Sigh* Remember early nWoD, where fiction was either really creepy mysterious stuff with no explanations (like the original God-Machine thing) or Greg Stolze being great? And then it devolved into grimdark "everyone dies horribly and no one wins and BvD" stuff? And now it's back to oWoD level of terrible?

Edit: Why can't we just have more stuff like the Horror Recognition Gudie? That was pretty much the best non-Greg Stolze whitewolf fiction book.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Ferrinus posted:

I guess if Changeling is going to be Hunter, it's only fair that Beast is going to be Changeling.

Changeling is going to be Hunter?

I'm going to regret asking this aren't I?

Edit: Oh right Huntsmen, got it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MonsieurChoc posted:

*Sigh* Remember early nWoD, where fiction was either really creepy mysterious stuff with no explanations (like the original God-Machine thing) or Greg Stolze being great? And then it devolved into grimdark "everyone dies horribly and no one wins and BvD" stuff? And now it's back to oWoD level of terrible?

Edit: Why can't we just have more stuff like the Horror Recognition Gudie? That was pretty much the best non-Greg Stolze whitewolf fiction book.

Time is a flat circle.

The grand irony of it is the revived oWoD products don't seem to be falling into the same trap. Perhaps even oChangeling's anniversary edition will be good and free of the cycle!

(It won't. They won't do a huge, radical revision like it loving needs, let alone incorporate the more interesting, more complex stuff they could be doing.)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like this piece of fiction is just one "Nothing personal, kid..." and a katana away from hitting a 10 on the Edge-o-meter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Loomer posted:

Time is a flat circle.

The grand irony of it is the revived oWoD products don't seem to be falling into the same trap. Perhaps even oChangeling's anniversary edition will be good and free of the cycle!

(It won't. They won't do a huge, radical revision like it loving needs, let alone incorporate the more interesting, more complex stuff they could be doing.)

At least we'll always have Wraith, which was probably the most consistenyl high quality line of the Olde Waurlde. Even it'S gmpcs were pretty good (like whatsisface wandering aroudn the world to find this girl he saw once to say sorry he didn't save har).

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like this piece of fiction is just one "Nothing personal, kid..." and a katana away from hitting a 10 on the Edge-o-meter.

Black hoods were the trenchcoats of the aughts.

Loomer posted:

Time is a flat circle.

The grand irony of it is the revived oWoD products don't seem to be falling into the same trap.

Tbf most of Lore of the Clans is terrible.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Hey look what else just got posted

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Marian Apparition (*)
Target number of successes: 5
Sacrament: A piece of pure white cloth, stained with a single drop of menstrual blood

So, I feel like we talked about this

god damnit, white wolf and onyx path

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The mage looks down at his hands, puzzled and dismayed. Across the room, his smirking vampire nemesis pulls his hand out of his pocket, revealing the penknife he was holding onto the entire time.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

pospysyl posted:

Tbf most of Lore of the Clans is terrible.

goddamnit. I never read the pre-release text since I'd rather wait for the art, etc. What in particular stands out?

tatankatonk posted:

Marian Apparition (*)
Sacrament: A piece of pure white cloth, stained with a single drop of menstrual blood

So, I feel like we talked about this

god damnit, white wolf and onyx path

Goddamnit.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Man, White Wolf cares about menstrual blood almost as much as........ the posters in this thread.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I love Apocalypse though.

Anti-Masquerade nuclear option is a pretty great threat from the Covenant most likely to be allied with the Invictus, upholders of the Masquerade.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Not quite sure why it's a drop of "menstrual blood" instead of "the blood of a virgin," anyhow.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Which would also be much easier to find. There's the surface value creepy and the creepiness of trying to get it to work at all in the setting, kind of like with Wolf-Bloods in Werewolf 1st Edition.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I like Apocalypse a lot, too - it's a cool and powerful top-level effect. Meanwhile, I have no idea why Miracle of the Dead Sun exists at all, let alone is castable at three dots. The much lower-key sun-blotting-out ritual from 1E, where you had to actually stand out in the sunlight for a turn or two and got a pall of thick clouds for your trouble, was much cooler.

Also, I'm totally for Belial's Brood, or at least hypothetical parts of Belial's Brood, being a bogeyman for the Sanctum in specific as well as the kindred in general.

I don't see why Apple of Eden has to provide an experience cost break.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 13, 2015

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Loomer posted:

goddamnit. I never read the pre-release text since I'd rather wait for the art, etc. What in particular stands out?

quote:

Let’s start with something simple, then: everything I say here is a lie.

Is everything after that statement a lie? Does that mean everything here is the truth? Did I say that to throw you off? What truths might be hidden to those who read on? What if I say the sky is blue? How can that be a lie? What authority do I have? Why would I go on like this if it’s all made up? Am I secretly a member of another Clan? Am I Caine? Are you Caine? Are we Caine?

If you feel frustrated, enlightened, upset, anxious, and curious about that last paragraph, you’ve just gotten a sliver of a second of the Malkavian experience.

The whole chapter is like this.

Other than the Malkavian chapter and the weirdly metaplot-reliant Assamites, the rest of the book ranges from boring and pointless to interesting but a rehash. You're not going to find the definitive statement on any clan here. The combination disciplines are neat, but some clans are shafted. The Merits and Flaws are mostly reprints. It doesn't go full White Wolf, but it's not outstanding new material.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Assamite and Malkavian revised clanbooks were pretty great, so I guess I'll stay with those instead.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Oh god, and the comment section of that piece of fiction is already full of praise.
I feel like a golden age is just slipping through my fingers, and all that I can do is look at it longingly as it circles down the drain.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh god, and the comment section of that piece of fiction is already full of praise.
I feel like a golden age is just slipping through my fingers, and all that I can do is look at it longingly as it circles down the drain.

Oh for God's sake, it's some pretty bad prose but looking at it and declaring that the golden age of elfgames is dead is putting the cart about ten miles in front of the horse, especially after Demon and how hyped everybody in here was getting for Dark Ages.

Now, when Beast comes out or has its Kickstarter and it all turns out to be wall-to-wall edgelord dreck, sure, we can start doomsaying.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Daeren posted:

Oh for God's sake, it's some pretty bad prose but looking at it and declaring that the golden age of elfgames is dead is putting the cart about ten miles in front of the horse, especially after Demon and how hyped everybody in here was getting for Dark Ages.

Now, when Beast comes out or has its Kickstarter and it all turns out to be wall-to-wall edgelord dreck, sure, we can start doomsaying.

I know, I know, sorry for being overdramatic. But I am worried that seeing a wall of praise in front of their opening fiction is going to encourage Onyx Path to go straight down that road with no brakes.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Daeren posted:

he's right though, the fact that this is being written an submitted for public approval in the first place, let alone the immediate public approval, cannot be denied as a sign of things to come

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Well, I guess I must be Edgey Mc Edgerston, because I thought it was a neat little snippet, but I've been pretty interested in Beast since the gencon announcment.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

tatankatonk posted:

Marian Apparition (*)

Finally a buff to Vampire Menses!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Well, I guess I must be Edgey Mc Edgerston, because I thought it was a neat little snippet, but I've been pretty interested in Beast since the gencon announcment.

It's a power fantasy, of the sort that teenagers enjoy. This coupled with their reluctance to describe Heroes as anything more than "those jerks you have to beat up because they don't understand you" is vaguely worrying, because if Beast is meant to be aimed at that crowd exclusively it could be pretty limited in scope. There is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it's not the sort of thing a lot of people were hoping Beast would be.

It's early to make a judgement call on the whole line, but the potential for an unsatisfying product is there.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

The mage looks down at his hands, puzzled and dismayed. Across the room, his smirking vampire nemesis pulls his hand out of his pocket, revealing the penknife he was holding onto the entire time.

All Powerful Lancea members now carry a battle-axe slung across their back, just in case.

tatankatonk posted:

quote:

"Welcome to My Nightmare"

Eve loosened the hoodie. She had pulled it tight around her face, trying to screen out the world, for all the good it had done. The cafeteria was too loud, and the sounds too diverse. Boys thumping on tables, high-pitched laughter from girls, the hum of the microphone that the lunch lady used, in vain, to get them to shut up. Eve stared down into her juice, and thought of water, the silent, cool, Boundless Deeps. She felt the cold on her skin, and she was home, if only in her mind.
Something slammed into her back and pitched her forward. One of the boys — Antonio — was playing catch using a wadded up piece of paper and had slipped. Eve stood up, wiping juice and the remnants of her lunch from her hoodie. She turned to face him.
“My bad,” said Antonio. Eve said nothing. Antonio didn’t wait for acknowledgement, he just turned and went back to his game.
Eve reached out and grabbed him by the hair. She pulled, using only a fraction of her true strength, and yanked him backwards into her arms. If we were in the ocean, she thought, I could crush him. I could eat his skin and liquefy his flesh in my mouth, and drink him slowly. The thought appealed, and started to call her home.
Seawater trickled into the room from the corners. No one noticed. The students chanted “Fight! Fight!” Someone ran to get the principal.

Eve let him go. Antonio turned, and curled his hands into a fist. And then he glanced at his forearm, and stopped.
A row of angry, circular wounds had appeared across his arms. Eve hadn’t touched him there. He looked at her in horror, and she pulled the hoodie strings tight again. “Don’t touch me,” she said.
Antonio could only nod.

hahahaha yessssssssssss

welcome to hell, you loving normies!!!!!

yes! yes!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Are the same people who worked on Demon working on Beast? I would feel better if I knew that that game is in those capable hands.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I don't really care that it's power fantasy. What is interesting to me is how the setting reacts to the character's anger. Sea water begins to seep into the room. The kid had sucker marks in a spot where she didn't touch him. How much of an afgevt do beasts have on reality?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

paradoxGentleman posted:

Are the same people who worked on Demon working on Beast? I would feel better if I knew that that game is in those capable hands.

Rose Bailey is heavily involved. Matt McFarland is running Beast; he and Rose were the developers on Demon. Writers on Demon were Dave Brookshaw, N. Conte, Susann Hessen, David A. Hill Jr, Alec Humphrey, Danielle Lauzon, Michelle Lyons-McFarland, Matt McFarland, Mark Stone, Travis Stout, Stew Wilson and Eric Zawadzki. Could not tell you how many of them are on Beast, but Rose and Matt have a history of quality product.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I feel like trying to suss mechanical signifiers out of a piece of intro fiction instead of tonal signifiers is a fool's errand, personally.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I'm a monster, hooray! Is how 70% of we games go, and the rest are Mage.

Now that play style's actually supported.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 13, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I also feel you can't actually make any claims at all about what play styles Beast supports based on a piece of broadly-sketched intro fiction and a super-vague mission statement. Especially if for some reason you don't think Werewolf or Vampire's similarly overarching mission statements don't support "I'm a monster, yay."

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Also to clarify, that looks more like maybe a chapter opener. The actual gameline intro fiction pieces are like several pages long.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Daeren posted:

If you're at all interested, a leak of Beast was posted on 4chan's /tg/'s World of Darkness General a few days - maybe a week or two - ago. It has multiple full fluff chapters, intact rules, and so forth. I'd recommend tracking it down if you're interested in seeing the quality of the line, barring future major revisions.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would have zero problems with Beast as an analogue for teenage power fantasy if that is the feel they are going for, along with overlays of mythology. Alienation, bullying, and externalizing "bad" parts of yourself as a monster are all interesting themes to me. Choosing that particular fiction to debut on to me indicates this is what we should expect, so I can't imagine these themes are not intentional.

The tone of some the responses from the developers have made me not sure if it's being approached without some sense of detachment. The defensiveness is weird to me, and makes me anxious to see what comes of it.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I have become less critical of Beast's fiction and otherwise iffy presentation to this point. Part of that is that it is very easy to denigrate games with a pithy example of gameplay- Vampire: the pedophile ring game, Werewolf: the southern revanchism game, Changeling: the abuse survivor game, Promethean: the homeless autistic game. Beast being described as the teenaged otherkin outcast game is not yet a great retort to the game-as-played.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, I'm with Gerund. All we have to go on is a bit of fiction and some snarky forum posts. So far we have next to nothing from the actual book. Beast's Kickstarter should be next in the chute after Lore of the Clans, so even discounting the blogs we'll be getting, the whole thing will be up probably mid-to-late May.

Also here's something from the OPP Forums:

Matthew McFarland posted:

So, fun fact: I actually wrote that bit a long time ago, as part of the original pitch for Beast. It doesn't appear in the book, although I like Eve and if we do an anthology I may write a story about her. But when I did that post for the blog, I had to read through that fiction bit and think, "OK, now that the rules are written, can you actually do this stuff?"

And the answer is: Yes, though some of it is more cosmetic than anything. But Eve could have flooded that room.

So there's that, too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Antonio could only nod. And then everyone stood up and clapped. The handsome student teacher finally noticed her, and they fell in love and are still together to this day.

Beast might be an interesting game for the right group, but good luck finding that group because teen revenge powertrip otherkin fantasy is goddamn catnip for wrong groups. Even if the game turns out to be the mechanically best Onyx Path offering, it seems like it's headed in the wrong direction for me - and entirely the right direction for people I never want to sit at a table with again.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You sure can read a lot into things from a single snippet of fiction from a sales pitch.

Back when Demon wasn't out yet, I thought I was going to hate it - all the teasers and so on made it sound like the technological aspect was going to override the occultism completely, like it'd be playing the Matrix except vampires live there, too. I was dogging on it to my friends, and the tone of the teasers rarely helped.

Then it came out and it's one of my favorite games now.

Calm your rear end, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

moths posted:

Even if the game turns out to be the mechanically best Onyx Path offering, it seems like it's headed in the wrong direction for me - and entirely the right direction for people I never want to sit at a table with again.

Yeah. but that seems to be a working as intended deal. All of the new editions seem to follow the base premise of, "These are games made for people with adult, competent, groups."

Open games, pickup games, or games with internal group issues are not the target audience. On one hand this frees you up a lot to not have to worry about universal balance or the like, on the other sometimes it seems like a cosmic event to have a full table of adults where you don't have to auto-balance at the table.