Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Metapod posted:

That rules how much trouble has been being a famous author given your character

Mine is the Nos academic, not the Tremere, but the author is such a fun character, and I keep bouncing off her in interesting ways.

We've not explored the author thing in huge detail yet beyond the resources it gives her (though the stalker has proved an interesting hitch every so often), but the interplay of writing about urban fantasy being what led her to be embraced, and now essentially being a PR person for Kindred society by continuing to do it, just slightly differently, is super fun.

There's been some amazing creativity with this game, because we are all giant nerds, 3/5 of use are also giant nerds IC. Routinely getting 10-die pools for interlligence stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe a list of some of the best books for each game line for people who want to get into them, if we can come to a sort of consensus?

I'll start with Ascension, and say:

Mage: the Ascension 2e or Revised (no point starting that argument here)
The Book of Worlds
The Book of Crafts
The Book of Mirrors
Guide to the Technocracy
Mage Storyteller's Handbook
Sons of Ether (revised)
Euthanatos (revised)
Akashic Brotherhood (revised)
NWO (revised)
Progenitors (revised)
Syndicate (revised)
Void Engineers (revised)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If you can include a drivethru link to the Horror Recognition Guide https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/59880/Hunter-Horror-Recognition-Guide I know it would save a step when people ask "what's good for getting into CoD / what's good fiction for the setting / what's good for some game ideas"

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Loomer posted:

My thinking is that I'll either get it done next year (which is my last year before I start full-time pursuit of my doctorate degree) or release it as-is at Christmas 2020, both the raw data and the extras.

I must say I'm excited to see this, even if there is a good chance that you releasing the data will immanentize the eschaton.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Mine is the Nos academic, not the Tremere, but the author is such a fun character, and I keep bouncing off her in interesting ways.

We've not explored the author thing in huge detail yet beyond the resources it gives her (though the stalker has proved an interesting hitch every so often), but the interplay of writing about urban fantasy being what led her to be embraced, and now essentially being a PR person for Kindred society by continuing to do it, just slightly differently, is super fun.

There's been some amazing creativity with this game, because we are all giant nerds, 3/5 of use are also giant nerds IC. Routinely getting 10-die pools for interlligence stuff.

Oh my bad i thought the tremere was yours. Lmao she was writing about urban fantasy before being embraced that's amazing. So how does the professor work night classes only?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

If you can include a drivethru link to the Horror Recognition Guide https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/59880/Hunter-Horror-Recognition-Guide I know it would save a step when people ask "what's good for getting into CoD / what's good fiction for the setting / what's good for some game ideas"

This is great idea and I already added it. What's the best book for each of the Chronicles line? I'm using the clanbooks for Requiem.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've found Night Horrors books tend to be real good at selling people on things.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

For Awakening, I'd say:

Mysterium
The Silver Ladder
Guardians of the Veil
The Adamantine Arrow
Seers of the Throne
Astral Realms
Summoners
Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss
Left-Hand Path

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I want to play VtES with eveyone! I had an awesome Blood Brothers deck until they banned Lillith's Blessing for making Villein a better card. (Instead of addressing the real problem.)

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Rand Brittain posted:

For Awakening, I'd say:

Mysterium
The Silver Ladder
Guardians of the Veil
The Adamantine Arrow
Seers of the Throne
Astral Realms
Summoners
Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss
Left-Hand Path

I know that I’m horribly biased, but could I add Signs of Sorcery to the Awakening list?

For Requiem, I would say

The Clanbooks
Damnation City
A Thousand Year’s of Night
Night Horrors: Wicked Dead

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I know that I’m horribly biased, but could I add Signs of Sorcery to the Awakening list?

For Requiem, I would say

The Clanbooks
Damnation City

Ancient Bloodlines/Ancient Mysteries.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh god i'm writing the mage section now

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Shrecknet posted:

How do you do, fellow Jyhad shufflers.

MonsieurChoc posted:

On the one hand, V5 is bad. On the other hand, V:tES is back.

moths posted:

I want to play VtES with eveyone! I had an awesome Blood Brothers deck until they banned Lillith's Blessing for making Villein a better card. (Instead of addressing the real problem.)

Should we open a separate thread for Vampire: the Eternal Struggle? I'm not sure if there's enough interest to do so.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Signs of Sorcery

Sure, why not?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's an "CCGs other than MtG" thread, but I haven't checked in on it for ages.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Dave Brookshaw posted:

For Requiem, I would say

The Clanbooks
Damnation City

Good list. I'd add Secrets of the Covenants since it had both really evocative fiction and cool systems in the format of the clanbooks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Soonmot posted:

Does anyone have a compiled breakdown of the Beast controversy? Or should I just link the Fatal and Friends?

quote:

Matt McFarland, AKA Black Hat Matt, was a freelance writer for White Wolf, and later Onyx Path Publishing. He and Rose created Demon the Descent in 2014 and it was incredibly well received. After Demon was released Matt pitched his idea for Beast: the Primordial, the elevator pitch is "You're a person with the soul of an ancient monster, like a dragon, or a gorgon." and given his tenure on Demon people were pretty optimistic. The Kickstarter draft came out and Beasts were actually incredibly petty, very rapey, did not actually transform into dragons or gorgons, and had very strong coding as LGBTQ/Minorities. They also exude what we have dubbed the "Poochy field" that makes all the other supernaturals love them and ignore their more problematic qualities. This wouldn't be too bad except for their enemies were also rather obviously themed as gamergaters, MRAs, and white supremacists. What made this worse is that Matt straight up compared his detractors to MRAs. After some controversy, OPP released a press release promising that they'd fix the wording in the actual finalized book.

The actual finalized book came out, it had incredibly weak justifications for what Beasts do, and only the most superficial changes. The Storyteller chapter then had sidebars straight up saying that of the things that were changed due to backlash are 'lies' and that Beasts are actually super awesome and justified and everyone loves them for being the awesome woke hell rapists that they are. The subsequent releases for Beast varied in quality depending on the author, raging from people rightly making GBS threads on beasts for not being open with who and what they are, or polishing Beast's knob so hard their lips fell off.

Then in late 2017 during the RPG #MeToo movement, it came out that Matt raped someone roughly 10 years ago. He did not contest the claims, willingly stepped down as a moderator on RPG.net, then RPG.net banned him and OPP Quietly cut ties.
In early 2018 we discovered that Matt and his Wife(who was also the lead editor on Beast) used their positions as a member/the chair of the International Games Development Network to silence assault accusations from events as recent as 2015, meaning that Matt was still sexually assaulting people during beast's development.

The last book he wrote for Beast before he was let go (and probably what he was working on at the time he was let go) includes a faction of Beasts who are compelled against their will to Rape and describes the heroic act of choosing not to rape someone every day, stating that these beasts should be applauded for having the mental fortitude not to rape literally everyone(and it's not their fault if they do).

It is important to note that not everyone who wrote for a Beast product is a terrible person, but that Matt is. And as the lead designer and editor, he and his wife were the only two people who could see the product they were making, and made a decision to leave it as it is. Beast is not a good game, and it does not deserve to be fixed or remade.
And include links to the three F&Fs I suppose.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Angry Lobster posted:

Should we open a separate thread for Vampire: the Eternal Struggle? I'm not sure if there's enough interest to do so.

I have it in my OP.

Hey, did I say an hour? Ha, maybe another hour. I did the big three in depth, I'll do shorter blurbs for the other games.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm running a campaign where the estimated survival of a character is about two sessions. Good thing that character creation is easy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

moths posted:

Man, I haven't played in years. I have a ton of decks, most of meh strength but usually somewhat fun to play. The place I used to play closed down and the players scatterred. There's one group that organizes games regularly but it's all the way across town and I don't know anyone there so I never went.

:smith:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I appreciate that VtES is the version of commander that actually works (since it's designed from the ground-up for multiplayer), but it was definitely strangled in the crib by being birthed into the glut of mid-90s CCGs that had no chance in the face of Magic (even if it was also a deckmaster game)

The "Player's Guide to the Jyhad" was a really great extended dev diary where Garfield talks at considerable length about the whole process of designing for multiplayer. The Edge is one of the most sublime and obvious tools ever conceived, and the predator/prey mechanic didn't hurt either.

It's a shame VtES was locked to a weird IP because in theory WotC could have had two successful lines of CCGs for different playerbases instead of trying to design Magic to serve both the tournament and kitchen-table crowd.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Magic would literally not be successful on the level it is if they didn't aim at both.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I actually have a few of the Event Decks, which were this weird precursor to the WoW raid decks or the MtG nemesis(?) decks. One was crazy poo poo where Nergal wakes up, but I forget the others.

There's so much potential to that game, and it was so better than Magic. :smith:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Metapod posted:

Oh my bad i thought the tremere was yours. Lmao she was writing about urban fantasy before being embraced that's amazing. So how does the professor work night classes only?

He supervises one doctoral student at a time, basically. Who just got taken away to the middle east by a rival. And is one of his touchstones. That plus wake with evening's freshness (and a bit of ST flexibility on what danger means), and the vast majority of the University term taking place between October and March means he gets plenty of hours of darkness at semi-reasonable times.

Plus, this is going to be something of a plot point in future, his current mask is like... 70+, and he's going to have to update it soon which is going to be interesting given that he pretty firmly doesn't understand modern technology at all. That's going to be his downfall more than anything, academics at this university, especially classicists, double especially aging classicists, have something of a reputation which helps him out, but starting again as a 30-odd-year-old is probably beyond him now. It's going to be interesting.

I Have Plans.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, I haven't played in years. I have a ton of decks, most of meh strength but usually somewhat fun to play. The place I used to play closed down and the players scatterred. There's one group that organizes games regularly but it's all the way across town and I don't know anyone there so I never went.

:smith:

You should ask them, Vtes groups are usually super friendly. Also you should check up the Prince list in the Vekn.net and see if there's any in your area. I have only been playing it for sixth months and I've never met anyone else who played it before that, one day I heard by chance there was a demo scheduled in a local store, went there and asked to get in. You lose nothing for asking anyway.

The other option is to play online with either Lackey or Jyhad Online, it's not remotely the same but it can scratch the itch.

Shrecknet posted:

I appreciate that VtES is the version of commander that actually works (since it's designed from the ground-up for multiplayer), but it was definitely strangled in the crib by being birthed into the glut of mid-90s CCGs that had no chance in the face of Magic (even if it was also a deckmaster game)

The "Player's Guide to the Jyhad" was a really great extended dev diary where Garfield talks at considerable length about the whole process of designing for multiplayer. The Edge is one of the most sublime and obvious tools ever conceived, and the predator/prey mechanic didn't hurt either.

It's a shame VtES was locked to a weird IP because in theory WotC could have had two successful lines of CCGs for different playerbases instead of trying to design Magic to serve both the tournament and kitchen-table crowd.

Yeah, it's a dang shame, because the game is mechanichally great and the best multiplayer card game out there. It's true that being tied to the WoD franchise is one of the main reasons the game will never be super popular, however it's already established franchise is also one of the reasons the game has been able to survive without official support while other more popular games died instantly the moment official support was plugged off (like Vs System).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

thespaceinvader posted:

He supervises one doctoral student at a time, basically. Who just got taken away to the middle east by a rival. And is one of his touchstones. That plus wake with evening's freshness (and a bit of ST flexibility on what danger means), and the vast majority of the University term taking place between October and March means he gets plenty of hours of darkness at semi-reasonable times.

Plus, this is going to be something of a plot point in future, his current mask is like... 70+, and he's going to have to update it soon which is going to be interesting given that he pretty firmly doesn't understand modern technology at all. That's going to be his downfall more than anything, academics at this university, especially classicists, double especially aging classicists, have something of a reputation which helps him out, but starting again as a 30-odd-year-old is probably beyond him now. It's going to be interesting.

I Have Plans.

tenure is a lie, destroy this liar before he gives hope to young professors

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I Have Plans.

Oh man having to change your identity while working at the same university that's going to be gold. RIP to that touchstone

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

tenure is a lie, destroy this liar before he gives hope to young professors

Tenure doesn't exist in this country.

In theory.

In practice when the University is run by vampires...

Metapod posted:

Oh man having to change your identity while working at the same university that's going to be gold. RIP to that touchstone

Yah he's probably screwed.

E: and my Plans probably involve leaving the Universityin the medium to long run . Which given that all 3 of my touchstones are University related and one is in her 70s is going to be painful.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 27, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Tenure doesn't exist in this country.

In theory.

In practice when the University is run by vampires...

Yah he's probably screwed.

E: and my Plans probably involve leaving the Universityin the medium to long run . Which given that all 3 of my touchstones are University related and one is in her 70s is going to be painful.

Do the touchstones know he is wearing a mask or will he have to reintroduce himself to his touchstones?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Please include an extensive discussion of why Wraith was the best White Wolf line. (It was!)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\Post it and I will add it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899775

Okay new thread is up

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Soonmot posted:

/\/\/\Post it and I will add it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899775

Okay new thread is up

Using the nWoD logo to top the oWoD section is a bold choice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just checked VEKN and found out there was a nearby tournament last week. What a shot of mixed emotions.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Please include an extensive discussion of why Wraith was the best White Wolf line. (It was!)

It really was!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Metapod posted:

Do the touchstones know he is wearing a mask or will he have to reintroduce himself to his touchstones?

Lol if you think I thought about that when I made the character. I need to talk to the ST about the whole thing, given that this process has happened a good three or four times previously, but this is the only time when it's happened in the digital age.

And no, they aren't aware. They just think he's suuuuuper weird. I suspect his secretary probably knows more than she's letting on, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It's a shame all its best books - and they were really good - came at the tail end of the line.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

That Old Tree posted:

Using the nWoD logo to top the oWoD section is a bold choice.

That is why the edit button exists. After lunch

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

It's a shame all its best books - and they were really good - came at the tail end of the line.

Oh yeah. It is such a fascinating setting, but starting off dead and things only getting worse is a harder sell than being a cool Werewolf who gets into rowdy fights.

Wr20 is a fantastic product, and it actually really love that all the Guilds now provide secret alternate powers for their members. Some of them existed before, but not everyone even got a book in the old line.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Lol if you think I thought about that when I made the character. I need to talk to the ST about the whole thing, given that this process has happened a good three or four times previously, but this is the only time when it's happened in the digital age.

And no, they aren't aware. They just think he's suuuuuper weird. I suspect his secretary probably knows more than she's letting on, though.

Oh no this could end up being messy for ol professor

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Metapod posted:

Oh no this could end up being messy for ol professor

Oh I am fully expecting literally the whole thing to blow up in his face somehow. That's part of the fun, I love playing him, but he is very much not me, and I have had a backup character in mind for ages because he was feeling very much at the start like his lovely charisma skills were just too much of a liability and I might just end up handing him over to the ST as a lore-fountain and starting fresh. Despite having been around for 200 years he's basically done nothing to actually join in with Kindred society, he just hides in his library-sanctum doing research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh I am fully expecting literally the whole thing to blow up in his face somehow. That's part of the fun, I love playing him, but he is very much not me, and I have had a backup character in mind for ages because he was feeling very much at the start like his lovely charisma skills were just too much of a liability and I might just end up handing him over to the ST as a lore-fountain and starting fresh. Despite having been around for 200 years he's basically done nothing to actually join in with Kindred society, he just hides in his library-sanctum doing research.

There is nothing more liberating in a plot-heavy tabletop game than deciding you’re ready for a character to die in a blaze of glory/chaos

E- “Die” meaning both final death or escaping the country leaving big breaches in your wake

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 28, 2019