Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm torn between "Proverbial Monsters is dumb as hell, how did this get produced" and "Proverbial Monsters is Goosebumps as hell, how do I get a group together".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Anarchs, of course, are already known to play paintball with handguns.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah I always liked the idea of somebody who was a communist before the embrace who hates the Carthians because he's absolutely furious at seeing the politics of liberation he pursued in life being used as a scheme to make preying on the proletariat easier.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Night Horrors suggests that vampires weren't really vampires until a a Julii talked the Strickland into giving vampires the Beast, with the Strix hating vampires (especially the Julii) for their failure to be the monsters the Strix know they could be.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I remember a dude I otherwise thought well of who hated Justin Achilli because he wouldn't condemn taking ecstacy, which was pretty funny.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Contagion sounds a lot like the crossover chronicle that the Mind's Eye Society ran a few years back, in which reality was being slowly invaded and devoured by an extradimensional thing that necessitated cross-splat teamups to fight.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The best part of As One Dead is a vampire forcing another vampire's mouth open by punching her nose. You know, so she'll have to open her mouth to breathe.

There's a lot of dumb poo poo in OWoD novels but not being clear on the concept of what a vampire even is, well, that's pretty up there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Prince of the City is just extremely loving dull. Nothing really happens and Vannevar is such a dull character that the things that do happen aren't interesting.

I do like that he's canonically still around, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I mean, that's one of the big ideas of the WoD, right? The presence of supernatural poo poo petting on humanity results in a generally shittier world, where more towns are Santa Carla than aren't.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Wyrm from Werewolf: the Apocalypse is all about destroying reality and corrupting everything into a magical diseased version of itself that infections and kills healthy things so the world can die and TBH you can probably get all four of the Ruinous Powers in there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Belial's Brood aren't really Satanists. Their main thing is that Humanity is not appropriate for vampires, and they're basically tearing down their Humanity a little piece at a time through escalating atrocity so they can study their Humanity as it dies and the draugur that's left behind when they're finished will have, uh, learned something? It's unclear and they're kind of dumb. The Sabbat refuses Humanity and has the Paths as a way to keep going when their Beasts threaten to devour them, but the Brood's got nothing and are more or less a very specific kind of suicide cult.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ordo Dracul could have used better cover art, mind.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The cosmologies of the OWOD games generally don't fit together very well. In Vampire, God is real, he cursed Cain for killing Abel, and Lilith taught Cain how to make more monsters like himself. In Werewolf, there's a Creator/Shaper/Ender triad who've gone bugfuck and the world is suffering immensely. In Mage, reality is governed by consensus, mages are people who can impose their own perspectives onto that consensus, and the entities other game lines regard as cosmic forces beyond all others are merely very powerful spirits that can be studied and classified. Vampires don't know about the Wyrm in part because there's no reason for them to know (who's going to tell them? werewolves?), but also because the cosmologies of the game lines they're from don't mesh at all.

Really, the OWoD works best if you assume that each game line is its own little pocket universe in which shadows of the other lines exist. There's no Garou or Wyrm in Vampire, but there are werewolves, and they're super mad at vampires for some reason that will never matter. There's no Camarilla in Werewolf, but vampires definitely have some kind of a hierarchy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

V5 feeling the need to shove fifteen years of plot into a corebook was the dumbest thing about it. Drastic system changes should really be reserved for something skin too the NWoD's "Mirrors", but really it's the sheer amount of plot on top of how the plot itself is asinine and designed to basically invalidate the setting.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Nessus posted:

What: Vague intimations that they all went there to fight in the skeleton vampire war against the Antediluvians
Why: IDK, they didn't want Elder PCs or NPCs hanging around much
How: I assume they took planes or something. The question of how they're fighting the skeleton vampire war in the Middle East is left to the imagination, considering it is a region known for sunny weather.

Swedracula wants VtM to be one particular thing and is willing to entirely upend the setting to make it so.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Does V5 incorporate the social media/app stuff being done by Anarchs with Technomancy from V20, or is that ignored as being insufficiently about questionably consensual sex for Swedracula?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

quote:

Raphael spoke, saying
Caine, son of Adam, son of Eve,
your brother Abel forgives you your sin
will you not repent, and accept the mercy of the Almighty?"

And I said to Raphael:
"Not by Abel`s forgiveness, but mine own,
will I be forgiven."

Raphael cursed me, saying
"Then, for as long as you walk this earth,
you and your children will fear the dawn,
and the sun's rays will seek to burn you like fire,
wherever you hide, always.
Hide now, for the Sun rises to take its wrath on you."

I mean it depends on which vampire-containing universe you're talking about but in V:tM the injury sunlight does to vampires is because an angel of God Almighty decreed it. I don't see any reason why UV light would do anything- it's the really curse that burns, not anything so brute and material as the electromagnetic spectrum.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Gandhi's peaceful resistance was also taking place in an India where there was an ongoing and incredibly violent insurgency fighting the British. Gandhi allowed the Brits an avenue to exit without openly surrendering to that insurgency.

(Diversity of tactics works, is what I'm saying.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

There's a great line in I think V:tM 2E that goes to the effect of "will cutting off a vampire's head, stuffing its mouth with garlic and roses, and burning its heart kill the vampire? Yes, but how many things won't that kill?"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The first level of Auspex, Heightened Senses, obviates the need for glasses. Of course individual vampires may have their own reasons to wear them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

V5 crammed like two editions of metaplot into one corebook because its devs made the same mistake as MET:VtM and assumed they needed twenty years of metaplot advancement at the same density as if WW hadn't stopped publishing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hollowers as endlessly shifting through subcultures and finding magic in the zeitgeist is a cool idea, especially as the internet fractures culture and subcultures into a kaleidoscopic rainbow of variations and permutations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

neaden posted:

The best way to rework asscension would be to make the hollows less goth and have them be the protagonists. The traditions are the old guard who are kind of on your side but ultimately failed and are now stuck in their ways.

I, too, despair about the Democratic party.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Arcanoi aside from a couple that were clearly a danger to Stygia weren't banned, it's the Guilds that organized around them that were banned, though a few (particularly the Harbingers, Artificers, and Pardoners) operate openly since Stygia would collapse instantly without them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The big thing the Giovanni look for when finding families to recruit is basically criminals who know how to keep it under wraps, like bootlegging Milliners or the cannibal Dunsirn. You can teach anybody necromancy! Long-term maintenance of a violent criminal conspiracy is quite another story.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Ok I'm a setite now. Whats the best way to start ripping out hearts to rule the city?

:ninja: edit: in what order should i be ripping out hearts?

Rule number one is figure out what somebody wants, figure out how to provide it, and make it clear that getting it depends on you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Setite religion is basically just gnosticism with the serial numbers filed off and repainted with a half-remembered undergraduate course on ancient Egyptian mythology. Which is still like leaps and bounds beyond any other WW fantasy belief system.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The big problem you're going to run into, especially if you're playing in the MES as I suspect, is that most of the people you're playing with won't have written any hooks for you to grab them by.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

UT, using BNS/V20 rules. National org, but we had an org-wide chronicle reset 6 months ago so nobody's got those ultra elders yet

Didn't UT and the MES do some kind of joint thing? I haven't LARPed in a minute so I'm out of the loop.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

IIRC the Jiang-Shi are very close to achieving full vampire status.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

They didn't end up going with it, but there was an idea that was batted around in the very earliest days of V:tM that vampires who lose their Humanity but aren't destroyed eventually gravitate to the deep sea, where the sun never shines, and live mysterious unlives of unknown purpose.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Joe Slowboat posted:

You're very wrong, did you know that?

Convergent vampiric evolution points to an underlying structure of reality and allows for things like Blood Bathers, pennangalans, all the vampire-like folklore monsters which get categorized as local vampires anyways. They get more like Kindred/'True' vampires by weird occult pressure, despite starting off radically different. That's a fascinating concept that I have used in play (in Mage's Neoplatonic milieu) to make players extremely paranoid about the laws of the unnatural.

Caine's just a dude and requires every non-European vampire (and plenty of traditional folkloric vampires) to be non-vampires in fundamental ways.

I like the pishtaco, a vampire-like creature that drinks fat.

(There's a Supernatural episode where one is running a weight-loss spa and after killing her more murderous business associate they decide to just leave her alone since she's not really doing anything the people she's feeding on aren't asking her to do.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I figured out that a big thing I dislike about V5 is that it feels like it's got two editions' books' worth of metaplot updates crammed into a single book. Just say things quieted down after the Gehenna scare fizzled and now events are heating up, and make changes on the scale of those found in V2 or V3. This whole "here's what's been happening over the past span of time equal to the entire time the game was being published" feels like too much too fast and leaves me feeling like the setting changes are more radical than they probably are.