Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Simian_Prime posted:

"The Room" is an attempt to make a movie, by an elder vampire who has lost all touch with Humanity and modern culture.

With the vampire in the starring role. :getin:

This doesn't wash because sadly, I can see Tommy Wiseau on film.

He has a huge ego and mysterious, seemingly unlimited resources. He's a Seer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Gerund posted:

Nordic-style LARPS, aka jeepform, are really cool experiences that qualify as role-playing games despite never granting XP and ignoring poo poo like health levels. They're not in the same building as any Strength + Punchskill - Dodgeability game.

From a page back, but I wanted to point out that this doesn't actually explain a goddamn thing.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Wait, that would mean that distilled Dreaming is equivalent to watered down Awakening. That makes Dreaming way, way more potent than Awakening, right?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Mad scientists exist now only as camp comedy tropes or supporting characters in something more interesting. There is nothing there to support a game line or even a story that isn't either comedic(intentionally or unintentionally) or literally Frankenstein.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Win a sweepstakes for free plastic surgery? Get punched in the face juuuuuust right?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

So if Beast is the World of Darkness jumping the shark, is the shark the Beast or the hero?

(I hope beast is good)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

God dammit I'm getting really pissed at the continued lack of support for my vampire gerbil chronicle.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I thought the explanation for the Bloodline books was Requiem players viewing them the way D&D players view Prestige Classes.

Frankly they pretty much are prestige classes. I mean, ok, they're the prestige classes with backgrounds and stories and stuff, but they're pretty much just prestige classes.

I am not a big fan of the way Bloodlines work in Requiem.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

quote:

They’re a wet dream made flesh when they’re turned on, which is common,

Thanks for that, White Wolf.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

In french "métis" is a word used for any person with parents of two different races., with "métissage" being oftne used as way to talk about the merging of cultures. This makes the use of the term in WtA also completely stupid as well as racist against the canadian Metis.

I had no idea this was a thing at all, I always figured it was taken from the Greek mythology figure, although that makes no sense really and now I'm sort of appalled.

Should have just gone all-in and called them Mulatto.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Listen: Sometimes you want to have a rational conversation with someone, and sometimes they are being an annoying twit and you want to tell them their penis is made of spiders. It's the way of the world.

Your penis isn't made of spiders? Scrub.

Doodmons posted:

That's completely fair and to be honest, I'm surprised Nightmare doesn't have a power that finds out someone's worst fears. Hell, even a Nightmare/Auspex Devotion that enhances Nightmare 1 to passively tell you what everyone who's affected by it fears. At the moment the only way to do that is use Nightmare 2 and get an exceptional success so you know what, exactly, the victim thinks they're running from. Even that might not necessarily give you a specific worst trigger.

If I'm understanding you right, you'd prefer that the Nightmare 4 'actual hallucinations' power came with flavor text similar to Nightmare 2's "If she knows what sort of things her victim fears, she can choose to enhance that fear specifically; otherwise she inspires an unguided terror that flares up in the victim’s heart without her knowing precisely what he’s afraid of." except rather than an unguided fear it's "a hallucination that is guaranteed to cause terror in the victim."?

I can't recall the specifics and I don't have a book handy, but Can't 2e Auspex tell you a person's worst fear by itself?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It doesn't sound like shielding will completely protect you from things unless, presumably, you have a really high potency on the spell. So if you don't roll well you just get like lunar gravity.

You could suddenly get really good at basketball, though.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Pooka.

No, wait, they're both furries.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Ambi posted:

memetic sex-juggernaut.

mods namechange please

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Mexcillent posted:

No, it's not Revised. But hey you guys are the goonxperts and never ever could be wrong or read things poorly or be expected to have actual experience playing or running things.

e: lol wait i was wrong, it was always in there, mage20 just has them create botches which wasn't in revised

You know, I was under this same misapprehension for years until someone on here corrected me and I went to look at it.

I'm pretty sure it's Exalted that hosed me up, as always.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

The best use of consensus reality in a game is The Esoterrorists, wherein magic isn't real because humanity doesn't believe in it. The titular Esoterrorists are a cabal of evil pieces of poo poo who want to be the Seers of the Throne, so they carry out what are basically terrorist attacks on consensus reality- staged occult killings, faked evidence of the existence of monsters, hoaxes that make it look like magic is real- in order to break down humanity's belief that the world is fundamentally orderly and safe from magical dangers. The PCs are basically trying to a) wreck their poo poo and keep magic fake and b) make sure nobody ever knows about it.

So...it's a game where you play the Technocracy?

:v:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I hope this is what the next Harry Potter series is about

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I was frankly really surprised that Armory Reloaded had such fun story hooks.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm guessing the answer will be "both, one selected randomly for each power."

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Free Cog posted:

I guess some folks must like it, though, cause it's been funded with an extra thousand as of right now.

Actually considering how previous OPP kickstarters have done, this is pretty slow.

OK, full confession: I playtested Beast. We were specifically directed to focus on mechanics that were bad or didn't make sense. We were also told, in response to one mechanic someone brought up, that no major reworks were being done at this point. I got the distinct impression that they were uninterested in story or theme related feedback.

My personal accomplishments are getting the Ugallu to actually have an atavism that lets them loving fly since there wasn't one in the original playtest document, they could just jump really high. I also like to think I was the reason they took out the Hero slang.

After the leak Matt stopped updating the playtest document entirely which made it really hard to see what feedback was relevant and what wasn't. There just wasn't a lot of communication from him on Anything after the first couple of weeks, and most of it was kind of terse.

My group remained enthusiastic for most of our playtest, but frankly I think we missed out on a lot of stuff that needed looking at. We didn't use any Heroes at all. By the end I think our Storyteller was kind of sick of the whole thing. I regret that we didn't call out the real serious issues with the game that people are bringing up now, but I also don't think it would've mattered if we had.

Bonus: I note that the Lair trait Toxic is still utterly vague about numbers. By the book I can declare that my Lair has a toxicity of ten million and I can pair it with Poor Light so I can inflict this on an entire area that's slightly dim, despite my specifically calling this out.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

While Gilok's testimonial does give us some information on the way the product was handled (Matt going incommunicado is a pretty bad sign) I was talking about writers or developpers; is it possible that no one noticed the message the game seemed to be sending? Or the tone it was taking?

But you reminded me of something that I was meaning to ask: Gilok, what exactly happened in the playtest? One of the criticism we are raising against Beast is that Beast have little to do beyond smacking Heroes around, and you say that your group had fun, so you must have found something to do. What was it?

Our game was adapted from, I think, a Vampire SAS. The PCs were a stripper with a Siren themed Makuru, a brawly Bouncer Kraken-themed Makuru at the strip club (otherwise unrelated I guess?), a police officer who was a...Namtaru? I think. Spider-themed. And my hilariously out of place character, a Namtaru gollum-esque district attorney. Pretty much everyone had Power as their hunger except for my character, whose hunger was Prey(murderers). There were uh, communication issues with character creation.

The main story we dealt with was that one of the other strippers at the strip club was a vampire, and was being...I'm not sure, harassed? They had some kind of problem with a powerful Daeva. We confronted him in his club, the siren cowed some of his ghouls, and we told him to stay away from whats-her-name. Then we went to his house, killed all of his security and his ghouls, fought our way to his inner sanctum, and left him a nasty note. Thereby demonstrating our power over him. And since I pursued, harried, and "brought down" the vampire as prey, I was able to feed on him too.

The focus the ST was going for was on kinship powers and forming a Brood(Which it turned out there weren't actually rules for, you just decide to be a family now. There are, however, rules specifying that broodmates are immune to various powers you use, etc). I didn't get a lot out of the game, as my character was completely out of place in this party and I wish someone had mentioned that the game would be strip-club-centric ahead of time. Everyone enjoyed their character's powers and the imperative to be terrible to people, which was cathartic at least. Again, I completely hosed up making someone conflicted about his role as a monster since nobody else was having that problem.

I think our group had a lot of communication issues and interpreted a lot of things differently from each other, which is endemic of Beast as a whole. I made a character who was reluctant to kill and who fed on villains, and everyone else made blood-spattered psycho monsters. Everyone else made grungy low-brow thugs, I made a state employee. Granted this isn't Beast's fault so much as it is my group not talking to me about what we were doing, but the fact that the game never really tells you what it's about besides "be mean to people and fight heroes" is reflected in our lack of communication.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Holy crap I think Beast just clicked for me. Beasts aren't being mapped to "The Other." Think about it. They're predatory, have incredible power that is inherited from ancient times, have connections to nearly every group of shadowy monsters in the WOD, and their actions generate monsters personified by the worst of humanity.

They're the 1%. The deck is stacked in their favor from the start and they still don't feel like its enough. Any actions against them are treated as irrational and villainous no matter how justified they may be.

Heroes aren't meant to be seen as oppressors, they're the products of a corrupt system. They're the PIC/Tea Party/etc. While they have the power to harm Beasts, they're largely too unstable and disorganized to do so. Meanwhile the masses are either blind to the true nature of their predators or too scared/overwhelmed to make any serious moves against them.

I mean I still don't really want to play them because that's super depressing, but they make way more sense when you view them through that lens. Mage just lost its title as "The Wire" of the World of Darkness.

Please post this somewhere Matt McFarland will see it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

This is only tangentially realted, but I just took a gander at the Scion section of the OPP forums and they are apparently planning on having ten pantheons in the first book.

That... that's a lot of gods.

Geez, I'm hard pressed to even come up with ten functional pantheons

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

So I don't want to go wade through thousands of off-site forums posts. What do RPG.net and OPP forums think of Beast? Are these same issues being raised and taken seriously there, are they being raised and then smacked down by mods, or do they all love it?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

abuse elemental.

Can we petition them to rename the game this?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

There are many, many ways to fix Beast. None of them matter unless McFarland/OPP decide to fix it, except in the sense of people throwing around homebrew setting ideas.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

MalcolmSheppard posted:

I didn't work on it, but I'm not taking a position on the game based on Internet Consensus either. I posted in regard to some generic poo poo talk and to note that the basic structure of the game does follow a tradition in horror fiction. How well did it do? My only close reading of the text has been a couple of things I needed to know for Mage. But I'm in no way "distancing" myself from Beast. It's just not on my roster, which is currently NWoDcore, Sardonyx, Scion, Mummy, Mage, a little bit of Vampire: The Masquerade and some other things.

I think what Dave (and other people who worked on Beast) is doing isn't distancing himself from Beast, but simply stating his intent regarding the parts he worked on was not what people are picking up. I know someone on here wrote the Nightmares, and those are all pretty great too. The problems are in the fluff pieces, and the hero section, and arguably the basic premise of the game.

Also this just occurred to me: Beast is Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog rebooted as a gritty slasher piece.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Axelgear posted:

Do not even pretend that, somewhere, there is not a draft from Taxi Beast's writer about the sinister clown who feeds by stealing children's birthday cakes.

The clown beast has stolen 40 cakes, and that's terrible.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

The biggest problem for me with beast is that there's absolutely no conflict drawn from having to do monstrous things to survive. The example old lady child abuser has been just a person for what, 65 years maybe, but then she has her Homecoming and now she's just flat out malicious and has utterly abandoned all of her previous morality. The game should at least pay lip service to the idea that maybe having a normal civilized human upbringing might make someone balk at murdering people to survive.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh good, I just found a passage talking about how it feels really good to build a new Lair room out of an area where someone else has had a mental breakdown in front of you.

Oh hey, I forgot about that. In our playtest game, we wanted to add the vampire's safe room to our Lair so we got some hapless security goon and crucified him in there. He kept making his Integrity rolls so we had to torture him while he was crucified. By this point in the game I had pretty much completely checked out.

You know what, I hate Beast.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

christopher-lee-dies-live.html

:stare:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I kind of like the alien idea for Cheiron group, except rather than extra-dimension horrors, they're just extra-dimensional people. Regular humans from our world, or one very much like it, that doesn't have vampires and werewolves and magic. Harvesting monster parts is insanely profitable because there's no way to get them on their world. They're basically strip-mining the one unique resource they've found on the alien world they've somehow discovered.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

My long-time Vampire character always believed that would be a good idea, but the sad fact is that teaching Coils is hard, learning Coils is harder, and a lot of vampires who try to develop them just go insane forever instead.

I don't have a 2e book handy but I do not believe the rules support that assertion.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

You guys do realize that prosecutors in the US don't have to destroy literally everybody they see, right? They can choose not to charge people who are innocent and make plea bargains as needed (although that isn't very Arrowy). A prosecutor pursues cases against those that the district attorney's office believes to be guilty.

This isn't necessarily a defense of the whole concept, but as hosed up as the US justice system is, prosecutors are not inherently mustache twirling villains who pursue the maximum sentence against every offender they see.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm really interested in the Biblical setting because I have an idea for a game where the PC demons are Jesus' apostles trying to use his ministry to undermine the God-Machine.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

To be fair, when I first picked up the WoD core book and V:tR, I noticed the bloodlines-as-prestige-classes thing, and also a bunch of the merits seemed lifted directly from D20 feats. That, combined with all of the games using the same streamlined and modernized system, in the zeitgeist of that time, made the NWoD feel a lot like a response to D20.

Of course the system has evolved in a very different way and isn't actually much like D20 at all, but if you picked up a WoD book and were all, "Not MY Ventrue!" and threw it down in disgust, you might still have that impression.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Hipster Occultist posted:

The By Night Larp is post Gehenna as well. There's a few throwaway lines about how a cotiere went to Enoch and prevented it, ending the Nights of Turmoil and such. The Sabbat, bereft of the apocalypse and second coming they were expecting kinda ends up losing a lot of ground, but is still around.

Wow that's a really boring option.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

2e is better in most ways and if you and your players are not super-familiar with the game I wouldn't gently caress around with bloodlines and stuff anyway.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Hunter stories, generally, are about monsters. However, they're also about Hunters. Emphasize the effects of their actions, and the actions of the monsters, on their community and organization. Did the monster kill someone? Were they important? Who are their family? How do people feel about it? Was it a young girl, and the community is in mourning? Is someone starting a panic about whatever group they hate?

If the Hunters are part of a larger organization, what is that organization like? What themes does it evoke? Do they have to worry about internal politics? Are there rival Hunters?

You can also play up the "Are we the real monsters?" angle. Hunter, more than any other game, is about straight up killing things, and the things they kill are often indistinguishable from people. This should be profoundly uncomfortable. Put moral dilemmas in their path. Child vampires are great for loving with people. What if the monsters are killing rapists? What if the white supremacist group contacts them with information on a monster who happens to be black? Oops, turns out your civil servant dad has been a vampire's ghoul for the past decade and that's how he beat the cancer. Now he can't get his fix because you killed his vampire, and the cancer is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It's called Changeling