Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

One of my "games I'd like to run someday" would be a deep space/umbra adventure involving a bunch of lost Void Engineers and Tradition mages working together to get back to earth through the Avatar Storm.

I call it Technocracy: Voyager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm enjoying this argument because it isn't about Mage :allears:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Guardians of the Veil, biggest (wizard) gang in America

#ScelestiLivesMatter

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

pkfan2004 posted:

Whoa, excellent! *air guitars*

Please also include a Time mage, the Spaniard Jorge deCarlin

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Another interesting feature of NOLA is that a big chunk of the people there aren't part of the population. Tourism is a big loving deal there and 9.28 million people visited the city in 2014. That's a lot of potential story hooks coming and going, and it's helpful to the Masquerade and what not since if you feed on someone and manage to not kill them, they'll probably be gone next week and you'll get a bunch of fresh meat on a regular cycle.

EDIT: Also you get to play New Orleans jazz during the game to set the mood, so that's a plus.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Promethean is Wraith for the nWoD

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

22 years later and Mages still getting owned by Paradox.

Holy poo poo, new thread title right here.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

The Libearian posted:

BEAST : THE DREAMING

:stonk:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Axelgear posted:

There were a few of those. Remember any details of it?

I'm not sure how you write a fix for Beast that isn't just an entirely new game.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yeah, that is the one I was thinking about. Ther was a lot of general spitballing on how to fix it; I think that, if the game managed to admit that the Beasts are horrible creatures and addressed them as such, the way Vampire does, I would not have nearly as many problems with it.

That, or made it clear (and supported by mechanics) that Beasts are just weird people with a human's range of ethics and that the Heroes really are unjustly pursuing them, that might have been OK too. You might even have some of that moral ambiguity the game so desperately wants to have.

Give Beasts mechanical incentives to do terrible things, but don't make it mandatory. Doing horrible things makes Heroes. Heroes are driven to hunt Beasts, but don't have a clear idea about which Beast is which and may focus in on the wrong guy. Now you have conflict, temptation, and a spectrum of morality for all characters involved.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 11, 2015

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Yeah, Beast is actually much more interesting after Apothesis.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Man, between Beast and Changeling 20th 2016 has the potential to be a really uncomfortable year to be a White Wolf Fan.

EDIT: "Changeling 20th is finishing up the first draft stage of the writing process under the experienced eye of "Blackhat" Matt McFarland"

I just don't trust him anymore.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Clearly, despite posting in the same thread, your ideology is very different and you should be considered distinct.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

Murder at least one player at the start of each new campaign to establish a proper tone. *adjusts DM mask*

One player? :stonk:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

bewilderment posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

Where was this posted?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

The problem with Beast lies entirely in the execution. It's so frustrating because there are a million small ways they could change it to make it better, but they're not going to.

By execution I mean that, if you wrote the game with a different tone it would be decent, maybe even good.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Axelgear posted:

The thing is, Beast owning up to its monstrosity wouldn't make it more fun to play. It'd still be Sadism Simulator, and it'd still put people off just as much. Being self-aware might get rid of the cringe-inducing self-justifications but it definitely doesn't remove the wince-inducing horror of the actual gameplay itself. Vampire has similar themes, but it's far more subtle about it: Your feeding can be from willing victims, for example, and, even when they're unaware, the damage you inflict might be nothing more than a small headache and some tiredness the next day. There is a mental distancing from the violation via the supernatural aspect of it all.

This doesn't mean it's any less awful or victimizing than Beast, but it's at least able to let you pretend what you're doing isn't violence that you're getting off on. Beast has no such option. You can't really conceal the screams for mercy or the cries of horror in Beast. It's just plain not fun to play a mandatory sadist.

Also, on the topic of stepping on the toes of other games, it kinda annoys me to hear that. Demon: The Descent steps on the toes of Changeling, what with their secret wars with oppressive gods who often send their own kind to hunt them down, and the panoply of strange monsters produced by the strange infrastructure that exists between their former masters and the physical world, and the bargaining powers, and their secret abilities to bend the rules of reality via loopholes written in the world's basic scripting...

When a game uses its mechanics and fluff to generate an atmosphere, similarity only really matters if there's no difference to play one over the other. Demon tells stories that are sometimes similar to Changelings, but they're not identical, and I have definite reasons to play one over the other. The same should be able to be said for Beast.

My group of otherwise decent players love Beast because they really like the whole gloves-off no-qualms ultraviolence aspect. I've pointed out we can do that in pretty much any game and there might be interesting antagonists and relevant themes too.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Doodmons posted:

You already pretty much can't pact other supernaturals. You take a load of aggravated damage and you only get the human bits of their life, which if they're something like a Vampire means you get like two drinking buddies and some car insurance paperwork - a completely worthless, inconsistent Cover.

As an aside from the Beast stuff, is that how this works? My understanding was that you got the whole deal from a soul pact, but now your cover is effectively completely human but has to carry on with his unlife without anyone noticing, which I think is way more interesting and fun and has all kinds of great story hooks for both Demon and Vampire/etc ("Rumor has it that Bob the Nosferatu has regained his humanity somehow!")

I'm about to start running Demon for the first time so I'm interested in how this stuff works. I wouldn't mind other tips for running Demon either!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Well at least it sounds like OPP gets to keep doing what they're doing, so that should be good. And we might get some cool video games out of it.

Also looking forward to the obvious Werewolf/Hatred crossover videogame

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Frankly I don't think a video game would do a very good job of capturing the eerie, "you don't know what's going on" atmosphere of CoD. OWoD lends itself well to games like Bloodlines, but it would be really hard to capture stuff like Demon or Changeling in a video game, at least one that people would buy.

"Yeah, I'm at the end of the game, this boss fight where I kill the God Machine is hard, I can kill all ten of the angel adds but his second form wrecks me"

"LF2M Arcadia need heals."

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Apocalypse totally lends itself to group-heavy MMO design, of course.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but yeah it kind of does.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm confident that video game wise, Paradox is going to ignore everything but Vampire for years. It's pretty clear from the way the guy is talking that Vampire is what he's interested in and I don't think we're going to see cool Werewolf games any time soon. We will never see games for anything past Mage. I doubt this dude even knows Orpheus exists.

As for tabletop games, I cannot wait to see how intensely racist and weirdly nationalist this stuff gets.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

gtrmp posted:

Never Forget

Ok if they bring this back I am with it 100%

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Zephirum posted:

Is there an oWoD flavor justification for a mage getting powers from being possessed? I have a character concept that's a katana-and-trenchcoat neckbeard who gets possessed by a dead samurai from the 1600s and now thinks he's an immortal warrior poet.

Every single katana and trenchcoat neckbeard thinks he's an immortal warrior poet.

EDIT: Take a Wraith ally or something.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

At least it made being a collector of oMummy really easy!

Was oMummy good? I never hear anyone talk about it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the problem with Mummy: the Resurrection was that a) it basically demands that you play in the modern Middle East, b) it's deceptive about this fact so that you won't figure it out without reading it, and c) it doesn't really provide even a fraction of the support random American nerds would need to do this without being super disrespectful.

This is actually something I'd really like to see, modern settings described in the same detail as a city in an RPG sourcebook, and toward the same purpose. Like, if I want to be from Waterdeep there's books that will tell me what the town is like, who lives there, what their lives are like, who's important there, what are the politics like, what's the geography like, what sort of food they eat, and on and on. I want that book, but for Baghdad or Moscow.

Anything like that that I'm aware of either isn't built for RPGs and is more geared toward tourists than teaching you what it's like to live there, or is an RPG supplement that is mostly about the game setting as it pertains to the city. White Wolf sourcebooks tend to touch on what I'm looking for a little bit, but still feel more like visitor's guides and don't make me feel like I can paint a good picture of a city I've never been to for my players or accurately portray a resident.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Is it really necessary that you have a dramatic narrative every time you get your magic points back?

I mean even in Vampire after the first feeding scene everyone just kind of handwaves it so they can get on with the story, in my experience.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I have literally never seen a feeding scene have any relevance to anything that happened afterwards. I believe it's possible, but generally there's a story that everyone is more interested in than the same repeated feeding scene they've been playing through since the 90s.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

How about they just lose a point of Willpower for every Glamour you take? Also you have to bite them on the neck.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Yeah, and as an added bonus it would be separate from all the other baggage that comes with the Sabbat.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I hope that someday we get a Mage themed slot machine that just has video of a Syndicate technocrat pointing at the player and laughing.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Has anyone ever actually done this thing we're now worrying about?

I mean I know we should have consistent and thorough systems but I kind of accepted that we were only going to get so much of that from WoD a long time ago. If a guy shows up to your game with "Firearms(Pistol, Against Humans, Against Right Handed People, Against Brown Haired People, Adequate Lighting, Breathing Air) just tell him no like any sane GM.

There are plenty of systems in CoD that need a closer look but this is just pedantry.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Sometimes I feel like he's trying to win a bet. Or the rest of us lost one.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Mendrian posted:

You laugh but I once saw two nerds get into a near-to-blows screaming match because one them kept saying "MAK-luh-vihns"
Ok I'm definitely calling them McLovins from now on.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

spectralent posted:

Because Changeling is my jam and I must always defend it's e-honour:

Changelings feed on ambient emotions of any sort. The autumn court is slightly better at fear. They can cause people fear to create it, but they can also, for example, lurk in a graveyard and wait for people to just go "Man graveyards are spooky", or go on a rollercoaster and soak it up. There is a "I will scare them off a thing" group, called the Scarecrow Ministry, but their jam isn't justifying their own power charging, it's that they locate areas like trods where the barrier between the real world and the hedge (where true fae can kidnap you, or come out and kidnap you) is weak, and make these places "haunted" so that people don't go near them and get their asses kidnapped by story monsters.

Yeah, came to post this. Beasts, on the other hand, seem to teach people lessons as an afterthought. They torture and murder to feed their hunger and then someone learns something maybe I dunno whatever. It's almost like the whole learning thing was a lovely justification added in to Beast late and the author isn't really behind the idea.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm personally fond of the mafia necromancers of Clan John.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And here I thought the reason the City Gangrel broke from the Gangrel was their insistence on wearing track jackets instead of comfortable yet stylish flannel shirts.

City Gangrel were my favorite clan as a teenager, because they got Protean, Celerity, and Obfuscate. :eyepop:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It's pointless to worry about the PCs having a theme if the theme doesn't have anything to do with the theme of the chronicle. Unless your chronicle is about comic book henchmen in which case it makes sense.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I thought the live action system for Requiem etc was basically 1d10, what's 10d5? How the hell does that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Are there any decent rules for what spirit influences actually do? The stuff I've read all feels very vague and handwavy. Like, if a spirit has Influence electricity 4, it can create electricity. Can it shoot lightning? What does it roll? How much damage does it do? What if it has Influence 3, can it suck lightning out of electrical outlets to zap people? What if it's Influence Puppies 4, can it create puppies and fling them at people?