Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
This is why when I need to note dots in a text editor I just use asterisks. World of Darkness Megathread (*****)

On the bright side, you got the tag right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I don't think XP chargen is important anymore, even if it is Etherwind's crowning contribution to our community (RIP Etherwind). I'll tell you what, though, I could do without the massive post of bad White Wolf writing. I don't know who that's for, exactly. The OP is a resource for people interested in learning about the games, who needs a post that rivals all the others for length full of reasons you should be embarrassed to play?

But that's not a big deal, since once we're off the first page I'll never have to look at it again.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ambi posted:

Since it's a new thread, and it was briefly in the 3rd post, can I ask - what is BvD ?

It's somewhere between a South Park version of dogfighting and a less didactic version of the "rear end to rear end" scene from the end of Requiem for a Dream

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Effectronica posted:

Cool, my main goal for Beast: The Unhinged Psychopathing was to be able to replicate the ending of Man of Steel only with hot snake-haired people, so as long as I make sure the villain has no idea how to play sports, this should be good and fine.

I really appreciate this post.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The sneering insistence that Heroes are awful reactionaries makes a lot more sense given that they apparently neglected to make their antagonism compelling on its merits in the first place. When you can re-imagine St. George as a Gamergater, who needs to actually come up with a reason to care about the Dragon?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

ONLY SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS AGO, THE NEWLY CREATED SECRET DEADLY GANGSTER COMPUTER GOD earnestly began its’ TOP SECRET OVER- ALL PLAN of world-wide FRANKENSTEIN LIVING DEATH SLAVERY, to explore and control the entire UNIVERSE. The Gangster Computer God concocted and even named its’ OWN IDEAL COMMUNIST WORLD ORDER, namely the murder incorporated organized crime deadly gangsterism impunistic world-wide military uniformed mongrel federalism, COMMUNIST TOTALITARIANISM.

It was NEVER HOLY, NEVER WERE THERE ANY “ROMANS” (a figment like ANGELS or Heaven and Hell) and IT WAS NEVER AN EMPIRE. IT WAS AND IS THE REMAINS of the COMMUNIST GANGSTER COMPUTER GOD’S CONCOCTION AND MANIPULATION MURDER INCORPORATED ORGANIZED CRIME DEADLY SNEAK CONSPIRATORIAL (SNEAK CON ARTIST) PARROTING PUPPET UNIFORMED MILITARY ATHEISTIC COMMUNIST GANGSTERISM and the worse deadly enemy of the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE AND THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE, IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE, NAMELY THE COMMUNIST ATHEIST CONSPIRACY WITH FRANKENSTEIN GANGSTER CONTROLS, the CATHOLIC CHURCH.

This is all 100% true IRL.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Kurieg posted:

How does a demon get their first cover in the first place then? How do they get from "Running away from god" to "Hiding inside an edgar suit"?

It's important to remember that angels have covers too, in this sense.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Effectronica posted:

Thinking about it, there's no reason for a Sailor Moon fangame because Sailor Moon is the story of a plucky Pylon of Seers who face Abyssal manifestations, Libertines, and finally face down a Silver Ladder Archmage. Or maybe they're Ochemata.

Wrong, everyone knows the tribal ban of the Blood Talons is "fight evil by moonlight, win love by daylight, never run from a real fight".

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

It's got great "someone new joined the gaming group so let's all just pretend their character fits in until they've been fully integrated" feel

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

And the stereotypes are terrible but when are they ever not?

When they take the form "[splat] may think they [possess trait], but nothing is more [trait] than Satan."

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

In the World of Darkness, talk is cheap. But souls are cheaper.

e: I'm just going to make sure that all of my posts from now on could immediately be followed with "With this power, the Lucifuge can-"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

the atavistic horror of Splash starring Tom Hank

That does sound horrifying. Where are the rest of the Tom Hanks?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Doc Aquatic posted:

I got Demon because of the discussion in this thread, and I haven't finished reading it, so maybe this is answered, but can a demon make a deal with multiple people to take the same part of their backgrounds?

Like, it's almost certainly a terrible idea, since it'd make the cover super weird and encourage mortal investigation, but can a demon just keep on taking, say, peoples' deceased grandmothers to strengthen their cover, until people go "Oh, it's Mr. White, that guy with fourteen dead grandmothers."?

I don't think a cover has anything like equipment slots or whatever mechanically to represent specific stolen backstory elements, so yeah as far as I know this is both possible and extremely unwise

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

That whole leak thing sounds phenomenally stupid and petty and I appreciate McFarland's candor, though I'd appreciate even more if Beast looked good instead of bad.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember watching Serial Experiments Lain, going "what the gently caress did I just watch?" (which seems to be the most common reaction), and then buying a guide to the series mostly on the strength of it being by Lucian Soulban and Bruce Baugh. It, uh, didn't help as much as I thought it might.

A shame. You seemed an honest man.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

A Moros would probably say meaningless rather than pointless but that's kind of a distinction without a difference.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I've said before, and I still believe, that Hunter is the scariest WoD line both in terms of how bleak it is and in terms of how uncomfortable and sinister the questions it asks of its players and player-characters are.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

This is not okay.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Zombiejack posted:

Between Scarecrow ministry members, Gentry, Slashers, Beasts, Predator Kings and pretty much any Vampire with a lovely attitude are their any actual human serial killers in WoD? Some guy who hates women because he was locked in a basement as a boy?

Of course there are. Not every permutation of every idea exists in every game but I think the WoD would lose something if you didn't have just, regular-rear end humans doing things, good or bad.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Doodmons posted:

Huh, there's a bit of flavour text in the Beast leak that describes what the Irraka werewolf "once per chapter you can just declare that you're behind somebody" power looks like. It's not a narrative device, it's actually a literal anime murder teleport power. A woman disappears and reappears a moment later with a knife in her victim. Not quite what I expected.

That was my favorite spell in the original Fable.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Please don't insult me by suggesting that I care about the feelings my posts inspire in others.

I don't think analogizing you to a Beast implies anything about your motives or personality at all, mysteriously.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Your brain was trying to save you and I'm sorry to have ruined it.

I accept your apology but I'll still never forgive you.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

If perfect parity is a concern then I definitely think the thing to do is to avail yourself of Vampire mechanics top to bottom. I think (speaking from a 1E perspective here, I've been integrating 2E stuff piecemeal) that Mage and Vampire can play together reasonably well, though 1E Awakening's ritual system and buff stacking can complicate the issue if someone's really dedicated to loving around. For simplicity's sake you could literally just devise a reason that these mortals can use blood magic, or decide that whatever magic they use mirrors blood sorcery structurally.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I play a forces/matter mage in the game I'm in and I have never once cast a dungeons and dragons attack spell. god willing I never will

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

I think it's generally a good idea to assume that magic works relative to the planet earth in most circumstances, such that someone whose personal gravity gets suspended just starts floating around aimlessly unless they can grab onto something.

I disagree. For every action, there is a consequence. Sometimes those consequences occur in outer space.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Gerund posted:

"I'm gonna swing this sword in a method that doesn't use the combat mechanics but still disables my opponent" would get squashed at the table, so why should the spells be allowed to do the same thing?

Or at least, what does it say about the combat system if the principal reward of magic is that you don't have to use it anymore?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Gerund posted:

In my take-this-as-a-non-rhetorical-question opinion, it means that the combat system is where players are expected to spend their character-definition points into to Not Die, but is a very explicitly zero-sum game of diminishing returns and is not is an enjoyable process to go through for anyone involved.

Yeah. It seems suboptimal for that to be the case, given how much more robust the combat rules are than any other part of the game.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mexcillent posted:

No, it's not Revised. But hey you guys are the goonxperts and never ever could be wrong or read things poorly or be expected to have actual experience playing or running things.

e: lol wait i was wrong, it was always in there, mage20 just has them create botches which wasn't in revised

God bless and keep you, Mexcillent.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I'm starting to suspect that Beast: the Primordial is bad. It's bad and not good.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The crossover stuff is the least awful part of the book because it's the part that hooks into games that have a reason to exist and siphons off their meaning while conveying none in return. At least it's an ethos.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Hell, you've got to pay obeisance to the drat iron seals.

I can't wait to see the badass rocket tag powers Seers get from Exarch patronage in Mage 2e that pentacle mages have no analogue to.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

I imagine it wouldn't see much use outside of games specifically tailored for it (I mean, it probably wouldn't pop up in a game set in the Midwest...) but a nautical Hunter conspiracy could be pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPYAZUcohmw

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Beasts should have the ability to do painful and disgusting things, terrifying bystanders but then they bring beautiful things, like Crystal Pepsi, back into our world through the destruction they cause.

Is this really notable enough for a game line, though?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

"Welcomes"? Pffft. This is how my Frozen Master of Untamed Hunger ended up:

What does 'Frozen' mean?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

This all looks really boring, which is a huge step up from being actively repulsive. Kudos to the writers, I think this is about the upside of the core Beast idea.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Roadie posted:

This is pretty hilarious and now I want to know the source too.

Those are from the Titles sidebar near the beginning of the Ordo Dracul covenant book. A showoff wants "Sublime" or "Transcendent" or "Dreadful" and the person whose master wants them dead is "...of the Fourth Darkness."

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

That's hilarious. I just looked into that, and it's mostly ciphers they can use to give hidden messages (like "Terrible" meaning "I am here against my will," or even the showoff one as it's specifically "I am showing off for the audience"), and then at the end there's "...of the Fourth Darkness", which looking at the preceding text is something a master would give their pupil for... Reasons. Also "Dedicated", which is "I know only one Coil," and in the example is paired with "...of the Fourth Darkness" and probably makes the person that much more tempting. One of the interesting examples given is someone with high a Beasts Coil and the message “I need some immediate help, but stay calm because a traitor who doesn’t know the code is listening”: "Adept of the Invincible and Esoteric Terror”.

And then there's a paragraph on false titles and how "I'm sorry, we only allow such-and-such" in here to bluff infiltrators is a thing. The Ordo Dracul is amazing.

It's a little hosed up, honestly, the extent to which the Ordo Dracul is the best and coolest covenant.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Kavak posted:

Please tell me he did it.

I'd never believe it's not so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Technocracy apologism in 2015. This, I claim, is ideology.