Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rand Brittain posted:

I abandoned this battle in despair after M20 announced that you know what, maybe the Traditions do hate light bulbs after all.

I would too if the bulbs I had to deal with were this dim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Hell, let them do so. Let them be their own worst stereotypes without exception. Their struggle is still a just one. You don't support the revolution because of how engaged you are with the revolutionaries' personal brands.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

That's loving amazing.

Also, I wonder why Phil isn't worried about the mind and soul of the ST.

Anyone with the wit and will to run Mage is clearly empowered by an Avatar IRL.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ascension is better than Awakening, because if you Ascend you have waaaaay higher stats.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I really like God-Machine demons, but I admit that I love actual demons from actual Hell, which exists IRL, and want to pretend to be them in a WoD game.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Night10194 posted:

There are actually people who do this in transhumanist circles, though they often don't frame it as religious worship, it just happens to have almost all the hallmarks, like secret knowledge, apocalyptic thinking, moral reasoning, and the desire for a benevolent higher power to make the world sensible and just. They also tend to believe they'll need to create the computer rather than it already existing, being insane, and having weird rear end bio mechanical angels playing cold war spy games.

DON'T MENTION THE BASILISK

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Yeah there's nothing about the characters described in the Order writeups that make them bad characters. I don't think they make very good Sample Character writeups because, apart from the heading they're under, there's nothing about them that suggests they're members of the Arrow rather than any other Order. They fit within the Arrow, but there's nothing about them that says to me 'this is the kind of character potential the Adamantine Arrow opens up'.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Well to be completely precise it would refer to the "State['s] Attorney". In Virginia, Massachusetts, or Kentucky I would expect them to be called "Commonwealth Attorney" or something. In federal court you'd just call them the US Attorney or the A.U.S.A (assistant US attorney). In some places you have County Attorneys, District Attorney, City Attorney, etc.

Now see this post? This is what the Adamantine Arrow lawyer looks like. This is what you guys are going to bat for.

Ponder that.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

jagadaishio posted:

As far as I can tell, people aren't saying that the character would be a bad character to play in an actual game. They're saying he's an exceptionally terrible character to use as a sample character - as a 'this is the Adamantine Arrow' character. They're not advocating that a character like that never appear in anyone's games, they're saying it shouldn't appear in the intro to what the Arrow is supposed to be about.

I wouldn't even go that far; I'd just say that the writeups don't do enough to show how those characters fit in the Arrow as an organization rather than as an aesthetic.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The struggle of the Pentacle vs the Seers is the struggle of D&D fans vs d20 Modern fans.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Dammit Who? posted:

*gurps a lil* oh, excuse me

Get lost, Technocrat.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

narm00 posted:

Huh. Ian Watson's said Masquerade 4th is going to be post-Gehenna (or equivalent).

I mean, it'd kind of have to be, wouldn't it? You're not gonna squeeze an edition's worth of books out of re-treading all the stuff that already happened, and a movie franchise-style reboot would just be a different game line a la Requiem.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Gerund posted:

Can you even have the Cam / Sab in a post-Gehenna world? The central question around the existence of the antediluvians and the True Black Hand et al metaplot got answered already.

I'd expect a lot of upheaval but institutions outlive the ideology that spawned them all the time

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Dammit Who? posted:

The Worlds of Darkness are humanist horror stories. You play a monster who is mostly a person. The Promethean quest for humanity would not be well served by a sidebar stating "actually, none of this matters because the Earth is nothing more than a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam, cf Carl Sagan".

What's more, it's the exact wrong message to take from Sagan there.

quote:

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The point of our infinite smallness isn't that it's cause for terror or despair. It's a call to action. It is precisely the redemptive note buried in every story of personal horror. That is the Great Work. It is Golconda. It is Ascension. It is the Vigil. We are nothing against that vastness and that darkness. What will we be then?

Ultimately a story of impersonal horror is only tellable if you have persons to tell it through. To mistake that for anthropocentrism is to misapprehend both the kind of story you're trying to tell and storytelling, generally.

Anyway the upshot here is if you want actual impersonal horror to mix into your WoD games you want Ligotti, not a YouTube video of progressively larger stars.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Once again missing the point.

Look at it this way: one of the core concepts of the WoD, either one, is that it's like our world, but worse. It's something that is in the introduction to pretty much every core book. Well, our world is super huge. Huge on a scale that is hard to comprehend. In the nWoD, nothing contradicts this fact. In the oWoD, on the other hand, from pretty much Werewolf onward the Solar System is the only thing in the universe. That is quite a big change from our world. Does this change add anything to the oWoD, does it help make it a better horror setting? No, it doesn't, except maybe in the case of Demon: the Fallen. Instead, it kind of removes a bit from the horror, I feel.

It's a not a question of wanting to inject impersonal horror into the WoD. It's a question of the nWoD already doing it vs the oWoD not doing it at all.
But... that's complete nonsense.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Even taking all of your factual claims as given, it simply doesn't follow that a world whose cosmology makes reference to the story-venue posits a smaller or less frightening world than one whose cosmology is relevant to the story-venue but also vague.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's a matter of opinion, I think. I feel that a smaller world where humanity is super special awesome is inherently less frigthening than one where this isn't the case.

Why?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, to me, that's pretty simple: What'S scarier, the known or the unknown? Being on top or being on the bottom? Being powerful or powerless?

None of those things are rendered true or false by a significant position in the cosmology, though. People in the oWoD aren't actually demonstrably more powerful or special or influential on an individual scale than they are in the nWoD. Rhe idea that we're less "on the bottom" in the oWoD, a setting with a much more conscious and explicit anti-authoritarian throughline, borders on farcical.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Daeren posted:

Yeah, uh, oWoD was hilariously misanthropic, even if it was anthropocentric, but this argument's been going in circles since I went to bed last night, it seems.

when you have two points only one of which is going anywhere, typically you end up with a circle, yes

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

It always gets there anyway. I wonder why that is. What the hell is it about Mage?

Well, Mage is really cool, is the main thing.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Loomer posted:

I've always thought a Hunter game built around a reality TV show like Mountain Monsters actually finding real monsters would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSZZKw8g3UI

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The idea of PBP is cool because it lets people with wildly different schedules or in different time zones game together. But any actual PBP game is going to be unplayably slow.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Anyway, you know what's a great WoD movie? Network (the 1976 film). Finally saw it start to finish last night.

Ned Beatty in Network is one of my primary referents for Dispater.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

I need ideas for how to portray the guardians of the veil in a post-public magic world.

Does Paradox still exist? Do Sleepers?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

If mages are public, are mage executioners really necessary? We have ordinary executioners for that.

Can the ordinary executioners cast magic spells?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Executing a mage is more complicated but if mages aren't a secret society it just takes, like, wizard policemen or something. It's not something you have to leave up to the one cult out of five that's most willing to handle executions for you.

I'm not sure there's as much daylight between "wizard police" and "a cult of sociopaths who self-select to undertake violence in defense of the status quo" as you suggest.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Hunter video on hunting mages!

And this is why the masquerade holds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe0fK1znV9U

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Not as pale, though.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

Another question: How to I get a tier 1 hunter cell to stick together?

Do you mean as a group or on the job?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

As a group.

Like other people have said, no amount of storytelling or social engineering is going to compensate for a lack of narrative buyin, but the thing you want to make sure of as a Storyteller is that everyone has a common interest in something that they need to work together to protect or defeat or understand/

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Ehhh - if there's an experience point (or a fraction of one) on the line I still don't think it's much of a choice. I'd as soon do away with it all together and just make dramatic failures more common if we actually want to see them more often. "At least one 1, no dice come up higher than 5" or something.

What if we just eliminated undramatic failures?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Edit: Some kind of "if you spent WP already, but failed the roll, you can make one more shot with JUST the 3 willpower dice but if THOSE fail-" thing...??

What if the Hunter WP-betting rule was just standard issue?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Picking Thor or Yahweh or something as your shadow name is the ultimate alpha move because you know nobody else had the nerve to.

All the other Mages who started out naming themselves Thor but realized after six months how loving stupid they looked and sounded all avoid eye contact.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Here's how you make an ultimate unified World of Darkness.

Step 1: Get NWOD
Step 2: Replace Beast with Wraith
Step 3: That's it.

Replace Beast with Wraith, and Geist with Demon: the Fallen.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Dammit Who? posted:

But... that would be terrible?

nothing is good or bad, actually

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

They can do whatever they want with Vampire as long as I can still learn Theban Sorcery, Cruac, and Coils of the Dragon instead of VtM sorcery.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Let me stop you right here.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, but it would be better if it had the Ordo Dracul, Seers of the Throne, etc. Unfortunately, since Mage: the Awakening is an accurate description of the world we live in IRL and the Exarchs work ceaselessly to rain misery upon me, this will be forever denied us.

We have a wall to work upon!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

I've always liked how nWoD has encouraged weird variants on the setting like that. Danse Macabre ruled, but I like how even the other books always hint at multiple ways to handle something or how things could be omitted or changed.

What things have people tried in their games? I once ran a game where the Julii survived into the modern age-- but the Ventrue were around too, so you had two clans of power hungry rear end in a top hat vampires fighting over the same lordly niche. That, along with making the city the game took place in utterly dominated by the secular/political Invictus and Carthian covenants, put an emphasis on the cutthroat political aspects of the setting.

In my vampire game, Dracula fell into revenancy while inventing the Coils and the process of refining them, as well as the process of actually establishing the Ordo Dracul, fell to Anoushka, Mara, and Lisette, who basically Weekend at Bernie's-ed his name and reputation around Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Also, it's not like anyone in the Catholic Church actually believes any of it.