Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

It's implicit in Awakening 1E but I think only made explicit in the Seers book that one of the things the Seers do, and certainly one of the things that the Seers proudly tell themselves and other people they do, is actually protect humanity from total destruction. The masses of Sleeping men and woman have lovely and meaningless lives under the Exarch regime, but they do have lives, and there's various metaphysical infrastructure in place (like the "Gate" exarch) which makes sure that the entire world doesn't deliquesce because of one psycho in a tower somewhere. They see themselves as protecting mankind from the chaos, danger, and perhaps even tyranny of unrestricted, untrammeled magic use. Being a Seer, especially a Prelate, is kind of like having a license to practice a behavior or wield a tool which is so inherently dangerous that it should (and is!) illegal for laymen to monkey around with.

You could've just said "the Seers have a monopoly on the use of Forces".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Xinder posted:

Unrelated to Changeling chat, as good as it is,

My entire circle of friends has a running joke that started years ago during a Changeling game where the party decided to go to Denny's. Somehow Denny's has become an aspect of every game since then and is simply accepted to be a supernatural hangout, to the point where during a recent Hunter game I had an NPC stop the party from charging into one guns blazing because "that would violate the treaty. Denny's is neutral ground."

Does anyone else have a thing like that in their games?

My last WoD game had all diners, drive-ins, and dives as spiritual neutral ground until Guy Fieri was finally brought down in the Shadow at the Battle of Flavortown.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

So... what would it take to make the Traditions viable as protagonists in 2018?

If we knew that, we'd have wizard communism in real life

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

This is the logic of a child.

Rand Brittain posted:

Look, I am just telling you.

It's like a time machine back to waiting for the Exalted 3e corebook to come out

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

If anyone has any advice on how to get your players to stop taking stupid actions, I'm all ears.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Everyone in Consilium groans at your poo poo.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

You can’t just regurgitate the fruit of the tree of knowledge and return to blissful innocence. Magic - the ability to understand the world so well that you can change it, the unity of theory and action, the capacity of humankind to parse and manipulate symbols to wider material and social effect - is now out of the bag and part of the status quo. You might as well inveigh against literacy.

Reading your posts certainly makes me wish we could retroactively take written communication away from humanity.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Serious question: what causes Mage in particular to be such a hot button issue? I've been told it's a controversial topic everywhere that discusses WoD and I've seen debates on other forums I frequent now I join their own WoD threads.

It can't just be politics. VTM has plenty of clear political text, not even subtext.

mage is a game about having stupid arguments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

:goonsay: