Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just a short question- does the 20th Anniversary edition of V:tM's rules match with the newest nWoD ones? I'm going to try run a game for some mates next week, and while I mostly like the fluff and stuff for the lines, my nostalgia for the video game makes me want to keep the Malkavians, Toreadors etc. Also because part of me want to have the endgame being 'everyone against Ravnos/Tzimisce/Ravnos and Tzimisce's illegitimate Mary Sue daughter' or summat of the sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GimpInBlack posted:

You could also pick up the Vampire Translation Guide on DTRPG if you want a reference for converting oWoD concepts to nWoD rules. It's pre-second edition though, so it might not sync up 100% any more.

Yeah, I think I'll do this. It'll be my first time running WoD, both old and new, so if I'm going to make any screwups, they might as well be official ones, thanks!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So... I'm guessing that Demon (which as far as I know, was written by Onyx Path) is a crapfest then? Because everything I'm hearing about Beast is that it's rubbish.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Huh, I haven't been keeping up with WoD stuff, and all I heard about Demon is 'Fallen Angels are Matrix Agents who've turned good'. Nice to hear it actually is something nice.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jim truds posted:

I feel like Beast would work if it wasn't all about embracing your beast side. You have to feed it but if you can feed it through small things, intentionally not harming others, you get rewarded. Falling all the way into being a monster leads to a loss of the human part of you. I think it would also make sense if the Beast was more like a Geist. It is part of your soul but is a lot older then you and you are not it's first ride.

On the flip side heroes can be people given that same power but choose to embrace it. The heroes that take them are just as old, have spent all this time chasing these monsters for centuries, and have become just as beastly. The only difference is they have a friendlier face and promise you a lot of power for embracing them as a part of you.

This makes Beasts interesting as a balancing act between their 2 sides and Heroes are actual antagonists because they are power tripping assholes like the game wants them to be.

Isn't this kind of like Changeling the Lost, though? You can keep your Fae side in check and remain human, or you can go full-on Wyrd 10 and turn into Cute Elf Hitler.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, this might be a dumb question but what happens when a vampire drinks the blood of another supernatural? For some reason this question's been bugging me, and I'm not sure if I'd want to purchase a rulebook to find out :shobon:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for the replies guys. For some reason, it's been bugging me for a bit.

Daeren posted:

All this talk and I totally forgot that in attempting to be socially considerate, they set up the accidental reading that LGBT people (and minorities, and all out-groups) are abusive sociopathic deviants that can at best sublimate their urges

:sherman:

Who's that guy?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hell, do we even need 'heroes'? If we're going to crossover all and sundry with Beast, why not go for Slashers, albeit ones that target Beasts specifically?

Yawgmoth posted:

How is it that literally every goon idea for Beast has been better by miles than what we're actually getting? Like seriously I would have actually funded any of these ideas over what we got.
:agreed:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

paradoxGentleman posted:

I dunno, in a game about playing monsters such as Grendel and Medusa, it seems thematically appropriate to have Heroes.

Crossover friendly is all well and good, but you've still got to give the Beasts something original, I feel.

Point taken; I'm just going by the basis of the general sentiment that Beasts are monsters, yet supposed to be the good guys- if that's the case, we'd need worse guys.

For those who've been keeping up with the game, have they detailed Hero creation yet? Because I'd love to play Gaston.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

moths posted:

The Heroes are only "Heroes" because the "Beast" needs them to be. Because to admit a regular person's power over you acknowledges just how weak and powerless you really are. The Friendly's manager who threw you out for scaring kids? He must be a Hero of legend along the lines of Beowulf or Gilgamesh. Surely no mortal woman could pepper spray you, YOU the Primordial embodiment of fear itself, for groping her on the street. Lairs are hoarder's basements filled with useless trinkets pilfered from recycle bins. You're not Smaug, you're a guy who has convinced himself he's Smaug because the alternative is too dreadful to consider. You've found others like you, who reinforce your delusions in a toxic support group.
It's a meta-game about the headgames of the most broken losers living in the World of Darkness. You're playing a character whose delusional grandeur has eclipsed their reality.

Yawgmoth posted:

How is it that literally every goon idea for Beast has been better by miles than what we're actually getting? Like seriously I would have actually funded any of these ideas over what we got.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think Stephen King would write about an evil taxi, but do it competently. From a Buick 8 wasn't scary, but it was readable, and I found the central conceit one that inspired curiosity rather than fear.

Beast on the other hand, inspires nothing but exasperation on a good day.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like the concept of all these supernatural powers having scientific explanations, but neuron guns are another thing entirely :psyduck: It's like trying to explain planetary formation using aether and miasma or something.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Flavivirus posted:

Yup. At this point I'd have to disagree with the person who said Beasts would get on with Seers and the Pure - that's the wrong category of antagonists. Beasts are more like the Strix, the Maeljin, or Abyssal intruders - terrifying entities that exist only to degrade and devour and whose very existence is a blight on the world.

Don't forget the True Fae! Seriously, reading about the Beasts and the poo poo they put people through is reminding me more of the True Fae than even the Changeling books.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Daeren posted:

Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my end because I really love a game where I can yell WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM and flourish my comically oversized black-and-red cape.

I loved doing this in Exalted as an Infernal- any other games that do this? Better Angels is one that I know of, anything else?

Daeren posted:

Like for real, aside from the bizarrely high power level of everything, a lot of the conceits of the mechanics of things like Lairs and Kinship Nightmares and poo poo are pretty novel, and I really enjoy how they work even if I don't always like what they do.

Someone else in the thread said it beast best when they said that Beast should just own what it was, and be about playing one of the WoD's villains. I also like the idea that your Satiety would determine the Morality (not Integrity, mind you) of the Heroes you face. It would definitely up the power levels properly, while also presenting an interesting quandary to both rollplayers and roleplayers- the former would have to struggle with the dilemma of always knowing they'll face an enemy as powerful as they are, while the latter will have to face up to the fact that if they want real power, they will have to become real evil.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Night10194 posted:

Also this thread is making me think that as well as Hunter, Changeling might very well be for me, too. It's basically normal people taken by hosed up horror faeries and turned into something inhuman who escape and try to stay escaped, while trying to deal with their trauma, yes?

Changeling owns, Daemon (now that I've bought it) owns too, get both they're amazing. That being said, I still like Changeling better, and I'd kill for an IRL game.

Yawgmoth posted:

I can't speak for RPG.net but OPP posters are by and large the best examples of Beast sample characters outside of an otherkin tumblr so I can't imagine that they are concerned with anything in the book.

From what I've seen, 4chan's surprisingly 50/50; I'd have thought they'd be all for it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What the gently caress?

What the gently caress

How

How does anyone defend this? WHY would anyone defend or write this poo poo? I sincerely regret buying Demon now, instead of pirating a pdf. I don't care how ineffective it it, I'm spreading the damned word everywhere I can. OPP doesn't deserve money for this, McFarland needs to be thrown out on an asphalt road.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Effectronica posted:

It's amazing how Beast just keeps getting shittier and shittier, but with a clearly visible trend throughout. I mean Jesus.

It's like, Demon was written by a fully-functioning adult with the tastes therof, while Beast was written by a manchild who still hasn't gotten over the jerk jocks (seriously, were those ever a thing outside 80s movies?) in high/secondary school. It's like reading Dominic Deegan all over again.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The True Fae, as mentioned. The Autumn Court would say that beasts aren't just missing the point, but are being an active threat who deserve a nice, long Summer.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mexcillent posted:

lol you guys are still posting about this subpar anti bullying changeling rip off

I know, right? It's like a trainwreck involving kittens and jelly beans- a horrible mess of something that could and should have been good, but you can't help but look at and discuss now.

EDIT: Spelling.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Something else I've found. Look at this horrible no-goodnik of a Hero:

quote:

Sleeping Beauty

Background: Heroes on the hunt have seen glimpses of a young warrior queen in their dreams, pointing the way to the Lair of their quarry. When they get to the creature’s Lair, she’s there, fighting beside them to vanquish the creature. She says she is sleeping somewhere in the real world and beseeches the Heroes she allies with to find her. To date, none of the Children or the Heroes who have encountered her can track her down.

If they did, they would be surprised at what they see: a sickly teenage girl named Melanie, trapped in a coma for the past two years. Doctors and nurses regularly check her bedside, as do worried family members. Her mother spends the entire window of visiting hours sitting with her daughter, either knitting or working on crosswords to pass the time. Her father drops in when he can. They have no idea what caused their presumably healthy daughter to fall so ill, and the doctors are equally stumped.

Melanie fell into the coma after an enterprising Collector sought her out to take God-knows-what from her in order to feed his own hoard. He never got what he wanted; instead of cowering, she gave chase, following him right back to his Lair where she killed him. When she tried to make it back to the real world, however, something went horribly wrong. Her body made it back, but her soul remains in the Primordial Dream, just out of reach. She learns a great deal from the other Heroes she encounters, though she has yet to chase a Beast back out of the Primordial Dream into the mortal world. Through their guidance and a heavily assisted kill, Melanie does not even need a physical presence to strike out at her enemies.

With each victory, Melanie grows stronger, and in her hospital bed, she twitches in her sleep, her hands clenching into fists and unclenching. Her body shows remarkably few signs of atrophying despite the coma, and it gives her parents and doctors hope that one day they may see Melanie, their darling daughter, walk and smile again. They have no idea what keeps Melanie preserved through her coma. When Melanie awakens, she will take everything away from the creatures who took away years of her life.

Description: In the physical world, Melanie is a gaunt, delicate slip of a girl with pale, dull, lifeless hair and glazed-over eyes. She rests in a hospital bed, wearing a thin hospital gown that does very little to protect against the elements. Then again, she doesn’t need to worry about that.In the Primordial Dream, her hair is a lustrous blonde mane and her eyes are a clear ice blue. Her armor gleams with light reflected from some unknown source.

Storytelling Notes: Melanie does not fully understand what has happened to her, or how to free herself. She knows that her body is asleep somewhere, but doesn’t know if she can get back to it or how. She is young and scared, and likely not aware of how long she has been separated from her body. Still, she’s smart and determined, even if she assumes that any Hero she meets will help her get back to her body.

Melanie’s Life is Comatose; since she is stuck in a coma, she can’t do much else in the physical world. She’s trapped between worlds and can’t reach her body to fulfill her destiny as a Hero. If anyone who wishes to do her bodily harm finds her body, she has little to no recourse to defend herself.

Her Legend as a Dreamer stems from the way she can manifest her full potential and fight what she sees as the good fight. Dreams are where anyone can be who they want to be. In her mind, Beasts do the most damage in dreams; humanity’s inner demons trouble dreams enough without the Begotten cultivating and preying on those fears. With her powers as a Hero, she can follow the Children from dreams back to their Lair, the place where they can be who they truly are, and show them how it feels to be the victim.

Who knew the most :black101: thing in a game about playing Cthulhu was a teenage girl in a coma? Seriously, THIS is a PC I want to play, even if she's supposed to be the bad guy.

EDIT: Proof that she's an evil bitchwhore who deserves all she gets:

quote:

The Hero has expectations. Forget his delusions and his ego, and even forget the monster that made him a zealot in the first place. It’s not the Beast who taught him how the tale is told. He goes to the movies; he reads books; he plays video games. His culture’s rammed the plot into him since he could understand words. The story belongs to him.

Sometimes the Hero’s not perfect, but it’s always about him, no matter how dynamic the villain may be. The Hero could be summed up in totality by his chiseled jaw and his big gun, but the camera always owes allegiance to his shallow perspective. That structure manipulates us into believing what the Hero believes: that deviation is abnormal, immoral, and subversive. These narratives build him into the worst kind of Hollywood mogul, the director-writer-producer-star, wrapped up in a crusader’s moral compass.

Beasts set out with the same cultural cues as their nemeses, but they learn to see through the self-aggrandizing Heroic media. The Beast knows the Hero doesn’t earn his title without her. The story isn’t told if the monster doesn’t burn the countryside. This is the truth Heroes can never hide; the Beast is the actor. The Hero reacts, defined by what he opposes, doomed to wait out his miserable life hoping some troll will carry off a goat.

RPG.net weighs in:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?757990-Beast-ish-Do-the-antagonists-need-to-be-less-sympathetic-than-the-PCs&p=19074975#post19074975
Someone else sum it up, I'm too busy being pumped about how :black101: Melanie is to get mad.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 8, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Someone help me, because upon reading this for a second time:

quote:

Melanie fell into the coma after an enterprising Collector sought her out to take God-knows-what from her in order to feed his own hoard.
I've noticed it doesn't actually mention what the Collector was going to take :suicide:

Then again, it makes Melanie all the more heroic for doing what she did AND WHY CAN'T WE PLAY AS HEROES AGAIN?!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Night10194 posted:

I would play this character in a heartbeat. What the hell is wrong with someone who fought back against her attacker, won, and now quests to return to her family by fighting the horrors that put her in hell?

That's what's wrong! She didn't lie down and sympathise with the poor widdle Beast, who just wanted take what was rightfully theirs!

But seriously though, Hunter: Beasthunters/Dream Commandos would own so much.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
'Young man' might not necessarily mean a 20 year-old dude, it might as well refer to a 16-18 year-old. But hell, a middle-aged man stealing candy from kids deserves a stern-talking to and maybe some shaming on social media at most, not being suffocated and then mind-raped into being a sociopath that you kill for bonus XP.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Omnicrom posted:

So Beast is going to become the new version of chapters 1 and 2 of the 2e Infernal Exalted splatbook.

It's worse; Infernals added a lot to Exalted, and Chapters 1&2™ were disjointed enough that they could easily be removed without affecting much. Infernals also presented a whole new paradigm to Exalted- where the Solars and other splats were all about being a shinier human, Infernals were all about transcending the human condition to be come something else.

Beast? It's all about being an rear end in a top hat. Seriously, when your sample antagonists range from nerd, to MRA nightmare, to teenage girl in a coma questing through the Realm of Nightmare to get home to her parents, you're either a pissant threat or butt buddies with the True Fae.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kurieg posted:

Beasts need a reason to exist given in the text, a justification for the crimes they commit. If all their murdering, torturing, and owning people on the basketball court with the power of existential dread is simply for their own self perpetuation then they don't have a leg to stand on in the "mean hero won't just lay there and take it" argument.

Honestly, I for one would like Beasts more if they were unrepentantly dickish. Maybe you want to be Snidely Whiplash, maybe you want to be O'Brien from 1984. Whatever, you're a bad guy, the worst of the worst, go forth and do your thing. Slashers are playable, after all.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MonsieurChoc posted:

On 4chan, DaveB said some of his fellow developers believe balance is a myth.

Maybe they meant that it's so hard to attain (especially with lines as divergent as the WoD's) it might as well be mythical? I can certainly see that, but only because each line has its own thing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Roland Jones posted:

Yes, RPG.net moderation is just terrible. That Matt McFarland is a mod there himself probably further adds to the confusion people have over this.

Seriously? Talk about your conflict of interest.

What really gets me is how none of them seem to have realized that in endorsing Beast's worldview, they are actually endorsing the people who've bullied them. I dislike Nezumi-chan on that board not because she's trans and/or autistic, I dislike her because she's endorsing the worldview shared by people who bully (to say the least) trans and autistic people. Hell, by taking on that worldview, in game terms wouldn't that make her a Hero™?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know, the game could be much better, both in quality and potential sales potential if they made the narrative itself the villain. Beasts and Heroes create each other, and it's useless to say which came first (think 'chicken or the egg'). Under normal circumstances, a Beast comes along, does nasty poo poo, and is slain by a Hero. Okay, cool- but it's a lovely deal for Beasts, since they were regular, normal working Joes and Janes who've suddenly been conscripted into some kind of crazy metaplot for unknown reasons (maybe the God-Machine likes lovely fantasy, who knew), and at the end, they have to die.

Thing is, Heroes would have a lovely time of it too. Look at King Arthur, slain by his son, while his wife cheats on him with his best friend. Luke Skywalker lost his dad to the dark side, and his adoptive parents to friggin' stormtroopers. Peter Parker also lost his uncle. A Hero's emergence is heralded by chaos, death and destruction, often to his closest relatives and loved ones because that provides both a heroic catalyst and ratings gold-drama. Maybe some sociopaths are cool with this, but people like Melanie? No loving way she's going to take this lying down (metaphorically, I mean).

So start off your sourcebook with Beasts, because maybe they were the first to look at the narrative and say 'gently caress this poo poo', but later on you can expand the line to include Heroes, because while Ye Olde Age™ Heroes might have been okay with loved ones dying left and right, what with the Crusades and plagues and all, and having an easily-blameable Beast right there, as time went by they too began to look at the Narrative and decide it's poo poo. BAM! Second sourcebook, holla holla mo' nerd dolla, hire me now OPP.

LatwPIAT posted:

Matthew McFarland being a moderator on a forum where games being made by the company he works for are discussed means there's a conflict of interest between McFarland and those discussions, not the moderation staff as a whole.

Yeah, that was what I was referring to, sorry if I was unclear.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

spectralent posted:

Oh wow I bailed out of the RPGnet thread when it became obvious that I was headbutting a brick wall with increasing force, but in response to "Melanie is only a teenage girl" someone posted:

Jesus titty shitfucking christ what the actual making GBS threads fucknuggets.

Worst part is? In Beast, you'd play the murderers.

But yeah, trying to equate Melanie with those two is not just reaching, you're trying to pull something you've seen through the Hubble Telescope. Good God, I think bringing them is as an example is showing disrespect to everyone involved.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The original text mentions she's still a teenager after 2 years in a coma, so she could have been up to 16 years old when she went all :black101:

However, since 16 is the legal age of consent in some states, that means she was a legal adult who must have willfully gone after a poor creature that was only fulfilling its narrative and biological imperatives. Thank God she's in a coma, otherwise she'd be looting and murdering and raping everything with a pulse!

Goddamn Beast.

EDIT: Here's the original text.

quote:

Sleeping Beauty

Background: Heroes on the hunt have seen glimpses of a young warrior queen in their dreams, pointing the way to the Lair of their quarry. When they get to the creature’s Lair, she’s there, fighting beside them to vanquish the creature. She says she is sleeping somewhere in the real world and beseeches the Heroes she allies with to find her. To date, none of the Children or the Heroes who have encountered her can track her down.

If they did, they would be surprised at what they see: a sickly teenage girl named Melanie, trapped in a coma for the past two years. Doctors and nurses regularly check her bedside, as do worried family members. Her mother spends the entire window of visiting hours sitting with her daughter, either knitting or working on crosswords to pass the time. Her father drops in when he can. They have no idea what caused their presumably healthy daughter to fall so ill, and the doctors are equally stumped.

Melanie fell into the coma after an enterprising Collector sought her out to take God-knows-what from her in order to feed his own hoard. He never got what he wanted; instead of cowering, she gave chase, following him right back to his Lair where she killed him. When she tried to make it back to the real world, however, something went horribly wrong. Her body made it back, but her soul remains in the Primordial Dream, just out of reach. She learns a great deal from the other Heroes she encounters, though she has yet to chase a Beast back out of the Primordial Dream into the mortal world. Through their guidance and a heavily assisted kill, Melanie does not even need a physical presence to strike out at her enemies.

With each victory, Melanie grows stronger, and in her hospital bed, she twitches in her sleep, her hands clenching into fists and unclenching. Her body shows remarkably few signs of atrophying despite the coma, and it gives her parents and doctors hope that one day they may see Melanie, their darling daughter, walk and smile again. They have no idea what keeps Melanie preserved through her coma. When Melanie awakens, she will take everything away from the creatures who took away years of her life.

Description: In the physical world, Melanie is a gaunt, delicate slip of a girl with pale, dull, lifeless hair and glazed-over eyes. She rests in a hospital bed, wearing a thin hospital gown that does very little to protect against the elements. Then again, she doesn’t need to worry about that.In the Primordial Dream, her hair is a lustrous blonde mane and her eyes are a clear ice blue. Her armor gleams with light reflected from some unknown source.

Storytelling Notes: Melanie does not fully understand what has happened to her, or how to free herself. She knows that her body is asleep somewhere, but doesn’t know if she can get back to it or how. She is young and scared, and likely not aware of how long she has been separated from her body. Still, she’s smart and determined, even if she assumes that any Hero she meets will help her get back to her body.

Melanie’s Life is Comatose; since she is stuck in a coma, she can’t do much else in the physical world. She’s trapped between worlds and can’t reach her body to fulfill her destiny as a Hero. If anyone who wishes to do her bodily harm finds her body, she has little to no recourse to defend herself.

Her Legend as a Dreamer stems from the way she can manifest her full potential and fight what she sees as the good fight. Dreams are where anyone can be who they want to be. In her mind, Beasts do the most damage in dreams; humanity’s inner demons trouble dreams enough without the Begotten cultivating and preying on those fears. With her powers as a Hero, she can follow the Children from dreams back to their Lair, the place where they can be who they truly are, and show them how it feels to be the victim.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
poo poo, this is a hell of a thing to hear in an elfgame thread :(

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Androc posted:

Suddenly, I want to play a board game about being Cheiron Group board members.

Has there been any 'canon' explanation for what they are? Or is it all ST fiat? I'm thinking a bunch of ancient, retired Hunters; hell, they might be the people who started the other Conspiracies, with the Lucifuge, that guy from the Church etc. all chillin' and making boardroom deals.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Soonmot posted:

I don't think the huntsmen dillute the True Fae at all, as I don't think the True Fae should be anything less than a force of nature that you will never beat, only survive.

Same here. Honestly, one of the things that bothered me about 1e was that the True Fae had to come down and get you etc. Now sure, maybe there's one TF here and there who'd like to get their hands dirty, but from what I saw, life in Arcadia as one of the 1% is pretty good;. Why would I want to leave my harem of dragon-winged catgirls to kidnap or take back some dumb mortal when I can get some goon to do it?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crion posted:

Because the entire narrative engine that 1E ran off of was the exceedingly terrifying personal relationship between the Changeling and their Keeper. They were, very intentionally, not 1% capitalist overlord/business executive stand-ins who don't get their hands dirty. This is like the weird reverse of ruminating on why the Exarchs in Mage don't pop down from the Realms Supernal to deal with troublesome Pentacle cabals themselves. The True Fae aren't Exarchs, and making them knockoff Exarchs served by knockoff Seers with a slight aesthetic change would do both lines a disservice.

Huh, good point. I'll admit that never occurred to me. Maybe then Huntsmen are like pieces of a Fae? Bits of consciousness sent to do menial work when you're too busy having tea with the Duchess of Etcetera?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wales Grey posted:

I don't disagree with you, it's definitely a move for the better, but there's still the underlying current of "The People You Torture/Torment Need And Deserve To Be Taught A Lesson".

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The Heroes section I feel, will be the place to make or break Beast. Would Melanie look like a hero, or a Hero™? What about Fedora, is he still supposed to be an actual threat or the pathetic tit he actually is? A revised intro does not a game line make.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cryophage posted:

Sorry, should have been clearer with my original query: I get why the the game designers are pushing the naming convention, but I'm not clear on what the in-universe justification is.

Didn't it have something to do with the power of True Names and such? If you know Winter Harrow's true name is Rob Robertson, then your spells and such are more powerful. I also recall one character in the demo whose Keeper would be summoned if you repeat her True Name three times. At higher levels of Wyrd, some bans and taboos also rely on knowing your True Name.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, in most cases you have protagonists that run the gamut from kinda-on-the-good-side (e.g. The Union, Obrimos and Thyrsus mages, maybe the Carthians) to the definitely-grey-area sorts (Guardians of the Veil, Changelings, Crones), but Beast's problem was that you could only play assholes, the game style only rewarded assholes, and your enemies were all strawmen- incompetently done strawmen at that.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've just bought myself the Awakening core book- is it just me, or are Acanthus mages surprisingly awesome? My only experience with Mage thus far has been bumming a read of my friend's books once in a while, and the impression of the Acanthus I got was that they're all lolrandum hippies. Then I read about them, and daaamn, their Fate magic is surprisingly potent, and I kind of want to play one now. I also thought Obrimos would be cool, what with lightning and stuff, but now that I'm familiar with Paradox rules, they seem the weakest of all mages since most of their spells (or at least, what I can see from a cursory skim) are vulgar. Or maybe it's just that I'm not much of a planner, and I can't set up the Rube Goldbergian maze I'd need to be an effective Obrimos- I'd rather much have the Acanthus's rerolls, +dice and stuff to use when I need to.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Poltergrift posted:

Now that I think of it, they are kind of opposite principles defined by their relationships to Belle. Gaston's antagonism to the Beast is based on his desired relationship to the object of their mutual weird affections, and vice-versa.

Maybe if Beast had been about how both parties are forced into unpalatable narrative roles and how that affects innocents, then we wouldn't have... Beast. Instead, we might have something somewhat-to-much better, like Leviathan or Vampire.

CommissarMega posted:

You know, the game could be much better, both in quality and potential sales potential if they made the narrative itself the villain. Beasts and Heroes create each other, and it's useless to say which came first (think 'chicken or the egg'). Under normal circumstances, a Beast comes along, does nasty poo poo, and is slain by a Hero. Okay, cool- but it's a lovely deal for Beasts, since they were regular, normal working Joes and Janes who've suddenly been conscripted into some kind of crazy metaplot for unknown reasons (maybe the God-Machine likes lovely fantasy, who knew), and at the end, they have to die.

Thing is, Heroes would have a lovely time of it too. Look at King Arthur, slain by his son, while his wife cheats on him with his best friend. Luke Skywalker lost his dad to the dark side, and his adoptive parents to friggin' stormtroopers. Peter Parker also lost his uncle. A Hero's emergence is heralded by chaos, death and destruction, often to his closest relatives and loved ones because that provides both a heroic catalyst and ratings gold-drama. Maybe some sociopaths are cool with this, but people like Melanie? No loving way she's going to take this lying down (metaphorically, I mean).

So start off your sourcebook with Beasts, because maybe they were the first to look at the narrative and say 'gently caress this poo poo', but later on you can expand the line to include Heroes, because while Ye Olde Age™ Heroes might have been okay with loved ones dying left and right, what with the Crusades and plagues and all, and having an easily-blameable Beast right there, as time went by they too began to look at the Narrative and decide it's poo poo. BAM! Second sourcebook, holla holla mo' nerd dolla, hire me now OPP.

And I'm sure I wasn't the only one to think along those lines earlier. It's a real contrast, reading Beast stuff and comparing it to Demon, which to me is somehow even more superhero-themed than Mage. I mean, what are Beast's protagonists? An old lady who strangles kids (oh, wait, frat boys) because they stole candy and a hermit who goes after loving couples to 'make the rest value their relationships better' (probably through frantic fearsex or something?). Meanwhile I'm counting at least 2 characters in the Demon books (one in the irto fiction, even) who fell because they fell in love with a human, and one more who fell because they loved their adopted family. And then Heirs to Hell has perhaps the most touching piece of writing the WoD has to offer:

Demon: The Fallen posted:

A Fractal child isn’t afraid of her father’s red skin and metal eyes. A Fractal child doesn’t care how many scales made out of pennies her mother has instead of hair. That’s just mom and dad, and they are, to the Fractal, perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Axelgear posted:

Worth noting that this is the same God-Machine that possibly created humanity solely to mine uranium. "Simple and direct" is a phrase that seems to be anathema to it.

Honestly, I think that idea makes me love it even more; it adds a whole new level of paranoia to Demon, simply because it suggests that the God-Machine might have built certain angels specifically to fall, and every bit of rebellion and seeking their own little dominions or escapes could be parts of its grand master plan. When even rebellion serves The Man, how do you set yourself free?

Personally, I think the G-M's basically broken at this point, a more sinister Friend Computer. It's got all these directives, but thanks to the WoD being the WoD, now they're all clashing against each other and what passes for intelligence in the G-M is like a druggie on a rollacoaster in an earthquake- hanging on for dear life and going "Wheeee!" while everything dies.

Yeah, your rebellion may serve the Master Plan, but the Master Plan serves nobody, so might as well take care of your wife and kids while waiting for the whole rotten superstructure to fall down..