Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

It's both, but the best part about that is that it's being surface-inclusive while being actual-super-racist. It's a win-win! Because on the one hand you get to say that Asians have two souls, but on the other, you can say that people from Japan and China and Korea and Indonesia and the Philippines and anywhere else are just interchangeable Asian. Which is something that hoooooo boy please say this around anyone's grandparents who grew up in any of those countries and report back.

You loving dummy. Everyone in the oWoD has two souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Seriously, what do you think the Shadow and the Ego in Wraith is? Or do you like all the other dudes who post on this god awful thread just take a tiny bit of setting knowledge and extrapolate then post?

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

But can we go beyond two souls?

Mage? idk

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
i'm a cool dude who knows many things about this stupid nerd thing

then fails entirely

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
I'm going to take the bold stand and say: this game is stupid and is another Geist.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

I knew it in my heart. But if Beast actually has multiple upgrades and extensions for the nearly 100% worthless "lose 3 dice, gain one damage" fighting style merit from the 2E corebook I'll be overjoyed.

I'm kind of at the point where I'm disregarding a lot of poo poo from 2e everything.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

I've been looking at Changeling the Dreaming a little bit since finding out that they're going to do a 20th Anniversary, and the impression I get is that it was a failed attempt to do a take on that subgenre of 80s fairy-based urban fantasy like Emma Bull's War for the Oaks, Charles de Lint's Yarrow and John Crowley's Little, Big. I really hope they go back to these books, examine where the original creators fell down and go back to the drawing board. It's the oWoD game that needs it the most. While both editions are a mess (2E is at least a pretty mess) I honestly do think there's a salvageable concept there.

I agree with this and know that it's just going to be bad.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Dreaming is bad because, basically, it's about growing up and the pains and joys of that, and it was written by people who had not grown up yet and did not have valuable perspectives to share on the subject.

Which makes it theoretically pretty good material to return to twenty years later and hopefully wiser.

I think it shouldn't be a game about growing up also I'm pretty sure some key contributors were old as hell even in the 1990s.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
lol I can't believe that while complaining about the slights against the foucaldian panopticon you guys have overlooked the incredibly boneheaded mechanics of Mage20, namely that 1s eat successes holy poo poo

e. also since because Phil Brucato apparently hates oWoD revised his paradox chart is super lethal and all about st fiat

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

That's just oWoD. That's always gonna be there.

No, it's not Revised. But hey you guys are the goonxperts and never ever could be wrong or read things poorly or be expected to have actual experience playing or running things.

e: lol wait i was wrong, it was always in there, mage20 just has them create botches which wasn't in revised

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 21, 2015

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Gilok posted:

You know, I was under this same misapprehension for years until someone on here corrected me and I went to look at it.

It's because I used Aeon which didn't have that rule. But tbh I still think everyone complaining about the technocracy and science is dumb and bad.

Almost as dumb and bad as M20 because god drat this thing is a piece of poo poo.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Phil Brucato has always hated the Traditions though. He loves Orphans and apparently now the Technocracy (? imo, mostly because Neil Degrasse Tyson etc.).

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Kellsterik posted:

Does noted historical documentary "The Burning Times" get a namedrop in M20?

No but the Burning Times themselves do.

No Jews or Muslims or Protestants or weirdo Catholics just pagans hurt.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I keep gamely pitching Blue-books as well. There's only so many resources to go around.

Needs to be a University/Archives book like the police precinct and hospital blue books.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Beast, to me, seems to step all over the same things that Changeling: the Lost does with balancing a supernatural being and a mundane life. It literally has almost every single type of character you can make with Changeling and I'm seriously curious about how this poo poo got ok'd when from all I've heard Changeling: the Lost is one of the biggest Onyx Path properties. Like literally everything I read is like why should I play this juvenile version of Changeling: the Lost.

Also, Matt Mcfarland took over Promethean after the core which was Bill Bridges.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Kellsterik posted:

Who was responsible for the original supplements?

It's Mcfarland.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
i told matt mcfarland rpg dot net is a white power site and his administration of it is a professional conflict of interests and then he made this game

its all my fault

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
lol you guys are still posting about this subpar anti bullying changeling rip off

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Aberrant has a big, huge setting where you can slot in a lot of different things. My favorite Aberrant game I've played in was taking the role of the guy (my own character, not the canonical Scottish or English dude) who founded the Aberrants and playing global spy games against Utopia trying to get justice for Slider.

I think the thing is that a lot of people have weird relationships with metaplot and some metaplot is super lame, but generally I think you should use it, abuse it, or drop it and that there's no moral weight to doing anything with or without it.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

If I want to play the game, players have to be engaged with the revolutionaries' personal brands, and they were already in large part turning against them before M20 decided to give the Traditions a huge blackwashing.

lol Phil Brucato has always hated the Traditions. They're the mean unsmiling Indians who don't let hippies commodify their sweat lodges and etc.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
never mind

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 24, 2015

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Daeren posted:

I'd less say I dislike it and more that I dislike that oMage discussions/arguments are the black hole around which all World of Darkness discussions (and to a lesser extent all RPG discussions) orbit, and inevitably suck any other discussion down to arguing about Traditions vs. Technocracy using the same bullet points that have been used for twenty years. M20 just gave it a shot in the arm. The game itself is full of really interesting ideas, even if I have a distaste for the fact that a huge chunk of its fluff boils down to arguing with a roommate over the color of your wallpaper while the house burns down around you (as Mors Rattus alluded to), and that I can only read the same ten page argument so many times before I want to jump off a cliff.

Actually its Mage editions, the technocracy thing is v apparent and lovely new atheists or brights or we are the only people who keep that one up

Daeren posted:

Well, apparently Sothis Ascends came out in April and I haven't heard anything about that. Was it any good, if anyone in here got it?

I disagree with Rand that Mummy is bad at all, it's actually really good and Sothis Ascends keeps up the quality of the line/gives you some fun historical WoD settings to check out before Dark Eras is all the way done.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
So lets get this straight: this is still a game about being a wiccan or otherkin or furry or something on the internet and getting owned and it's still going to press

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Poltergrift posted:

On a non-Mage topic, is that Atavism that gives Beasts always-on 3/2 Armor genuinely as broken as it appears at first glance?

Beast: for when you really want to push your friends around in an rpg game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Gerund posted:

And on the tack of the State Prosecutor being a "good" Arrow (irrespective of how riskless his conflict is) the Adamant Way, as I recall the 3rd Phalanx, demands a willingness to sacrifice your comfort and even your life in service to an ideal and to not become stuck into a temporal position where you will have to compromise your deontological ethics. An Arrow that defines themselves as a role in sleeper society is not a good Arrow and is a better forum-argument meme than a lead-off example in a product.

lol sounds like a character with an arc