Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

Just post my name for why you never go full white wolf. Let my madness be a cautionary tale, for the choldren.

For those of you just joining, Loomer has spent the past few years working on The Project- an attempt to document every single canonical supernatural creature in the old World of Darkness, living, dead, and undead. named and unnamed. Not just game books, but novels, the card games, a couple somewhat canonized fanworks from Germany, etc. He posted a chart a week or two ago- he's got thousands of NPCs recorded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There was a giant post about how Mage starts with the Atlantis stuff because Gravity's Rainbow is too alienating, and ended with "TL;DR- Dr. Manhattan is an Archmage." It was the best explanation of how Mage is on a conceptual and thematic level above the rest of the World of Darkness.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Se7en is a good look at what a non-supernatural WoD story should look like, as well as how to make a WoD setting in general.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Can't you fools see how trying physical age to chargen is going to go? Larpers will be forcing their confused grandmas to make Methuselahs for backup! Apocalypse players will abduct real wolves and insist they're Lupus players! Entire families will be consumed in nerd drama!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The fluff and crunch divide in Damnation City is big enough to drive a truck through. You've got B vs. D and other 2edgy poo poo, and then you've got this absolutely fantastic city building toolkit in between it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I just remembered this less than serious but still appropriate take on Awakening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WznBZhCFWWg

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Which would also be much easier to find. There's the surface value creepy and the creepiness of trying to get it to work at all in the setting, kind of like with Wolf-Bloods in Werewolf 1st Edition.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

e: The Hero chapter is really weird, by the way, in that it seems to assume Heroes work on PC rules. It specifies that they don't get Aspirations or Beats.

Except, uh, they're NPCs. They never had those.

The writers really don't want you playing Heroes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is "teen angst" an emotion or a collection of them? And can Mummy be Alzheimer's Disease?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kurieg posted:

No no, Pokémon Gold, then they have top struggle through half the lair grinding on monsters half their level to get to you.

So how would you represent Missingno and the infinite items glitch? We'll need those Rare Candies to get a party to the right level.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If it lets me channel the power of a Cliffracer, I'll pre-order Beast right now.

The splat should've emphasized the weather more. You can't get more primal and terrifying than earthquakes, lightning, tornadoes, etc.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Different Tiers and groups call for different tones. This is one of the strengths of World of Darkness games, you can do various levels of horrific or gritty or whatever depending on who or what you're playing. On the flipside, it's why Promethean is so hard to play, part of why Geist crapped out, and one of the things that's worrying me about Beast.

Now what the hell happened to Effectronica's avatar?

Night10194 posted:

What's a slasher? Are there yet more magic serial killers in WoD?

Short answer: Very yes. Slashers are horror movie villains.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am sorry, I can't quite follow the cause-effect relationships between those and the adaptability of WoD. Could you elaborate?

Promethean has one story: The quest for humanity. It tells that story very, very well, but it's still very narrow in focus compared to, say, Vampire or Changeling.

Geist always suffered from a "What the hell am I supposed to do?" vibe, kind of stemming from the lack of any mechanical penalties to going out and living your normal life. Your Geist can't really stop you, so why not? There's no conflict created by being a Sin-Eater.

Beast has been discussed plenty, and I don't recall them presenting any reason for Beasts to stick together in groups. Even Sin-Eaters might seek each other out just to ask "What the hell happened to me"? Beasts seem like they're meant to be solitary creatures, harvesting their specific kind of fear or whatever. That's something you use as an NPC and often villain, not a protagonist. They talked about them being slotted into other supernatural groups, but I've yet to see exactly what they have to offer.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It was also the only "secret background" TFV got, while the Aegis Kai Doru got three different takes on their origin story. I'm pretty sure whoever wrote that didn't actually like Valkyrie.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The God-Machine has plenty of wiggle-room (There's no reason it can't be the Principle or part of it), but I don't personally like it because it's too overbearing. It's everywhere, with its fingers in everything, and that's too oWoD for me. The weird thing is I like things being codified and explained up to a certain point- oodles of unclassifiable, nightmarish things belong in Call of Cthulhu and such to me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Crion posted:

That kind of smacks of taking a metaphor and stretching it a bit too far. It would make quite a bit more sense if it was the purview of a specific kind of Changeling (in 1E, Wizened) whose Durances might have been expected to very closely resemble real-world prisons or the like.

Your Keeper abducted you seemingly only to torment you. His prison-factory was a seemingly infinite expanse of metal and concrete, like an industrial plant built on acid. He put you and other Changelings to work on meaningless tasks, building titanic, empty structures in his image. Accidents or rampaging Hedge-Beasts would kill them by the score, or they would die in one of his nonsensical games. It seemed like every week he would let you "escape" to somewhere like the real world, giving you just enough time to enjoy yourself, only for his pet mechanical horror to burst out from the scenery and drag you back in an orgy of violence. As it lifted you up across the mad landscape of Faerie, it would always play that terrible song...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Metis is inextricably linked to swap.avi in my mind and is thus The Worst Thing.

How did that happen?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

Because the latter doesn't work on naked people.

Who would a mage fight naked except a werewolf?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Why that date specifically? I'm guessing from the title that it's set in Britain.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like your idea of the World of Darkness, very similar to how I imagine it. What were the other games you did in Kingsport like?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's more the most 90's poo poo imaginable, for good and for ill.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Effectronica posted:

That was a fan misinterpretation which spread rapidly because hegemony is a hell of a drug.

Hegemony?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Midnight Roads does rural okay, especiallly that town stuck outside time.

I would definitely thrown down money for Grand Theft Auto: Damnation City.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What games or genres are you interested in? If you're doing Hunter or mortals, get the Horror Recognition Guide- hell, get it even if you're not. Predators is the must-have for Werewolf, and Damnation City is great for city building even outside Vampire.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I hope one of the stretch goals lets you select a better art design:

That, or keep its subtitle as "A Game of Something Something Horror".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

moths posted:

It's alarmingly not self-aware.

Is that what's happening here? Did McFarland only receive feedback on this a few months ago and is being incredibly stubborn and willfully dense about the implications of his game, or is this some kind of bizarre Gamergate cipher? Basically, why are they writing Heroes like this?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Who the heck is Lord Raziere?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't get it. :saddowns:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I just noticed something interesting on the rewards list on the Kickstarter page, sorry if someone mentioned this:

quote:

No More Heroes: The Beast PDF as well as a PDF of Hunter: the Vigil (1st or 2nd Edition depending on which is current at the time these rewards are sent).
For Tomorrow We Die: The Beast PDF as well as a PDF of Geist: the Sin-Eaters.
Ancient Nightmares:The Beast PDF as well as a PDF of Mummy: the Curse.

So, it sounds like a full 2nd Edition is planned for Hunter instead of just Mortal Remains, but not Geist or Mummy right now.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The alchemists being shoehorned in are a little worrying, but they're not as inextricable as the Hero/Beast dynamic.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Daeren posted:

Yeah that's what boggles me, frankly. Most everything McFarland's done so far has been pretty good, and the stuff Onyx Path has been making recently (putting aside Exalted) has been generally good quality compared to a lot of their history. Beast is kinda like someone ripping a wet fart into their tuba in the middle of the orchestra - unexpected, baffling, and makes everything around it seem just a bit worse by association. It's why I'm scratching my head so much.

Someone made a joke about Beast's first draft originating in the mid-1990's. It's the only theory that make sense aside from a lot of stalkery speculation about McFarland's personal life and feelings.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's like joose for vampires. You drink a few drops of Changeling and suddenly you've been put on the Red List, spent all your money on a piano you don't know how to play, and it's not Monday anywhere.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think Malcolm is going to come out against his colleague's work as angrily as people want him to, and I don't think trying to talk him into it will be productive.

Pretty much. Companies don't let their employees criticize each other publicly like that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is there anyone who has worked on Beast who also happens to be a goon? Maybe we'll understand it better if we hear the point of view of someone who contributed to making that game.

Yesterday morning:

Gilok posted:

Actually considering how previous OPP kickstarters have done, this is pretty slow.

OK, full confession: I playtested Beast. We were specifically directed to focus on mechanics that were bad or didn't make sense. We were also told, in response to one mechanic someone brought up, that no major reworks were being done at this point. I got the distinct impression that they were uninterested in story or theme related feedback.

My personal accomplishments are getting the Ugallu to actually have an atavism that lets them loving fly since there wasn't one in the original playtest document, they could just jump really high. I also like to think I was the reason they took out the Hero slang.

After the leak Matt stopped updating the playtest document entirely which made it really hard to see what feedback was relevant and what wasn't. There just wasn't a lot of communication from him on Anything after the first couple of weeks, and most of it was kind of terse.

My group remained enthusiastic for most of our playtest, but frankly I think we missed out on a lot of stuff that needed looking at. We didn't use any Heroes at all. By the end I think our Storyteller was kind of sick of the whole thing. I regret that we didn't call out the real serious issues with the game that people are bringing up now, but I also don't think it would've mattered if we had.

Bonus: I note that the Lair trait Toxic is still utterly vague about numbers. By the book I can declare that my Lair has a toxicity of ten million and I can pair it with Poor Light so I can inflict this on an entire area that's slightly dim, despite my specifically calling this out.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What about the tabletop roleplaying game about regular and not-so-regular humans trying to study and/or kill those monsters?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Japanese, Mesoamerican, Norse, Greek, Egyptian, Hindu, Vodoun, Celtic, Sumerian, Chinese.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Why don't people ever pull in Abrahamic stuff when doing big 'THE PANTHEONS OF THE WORLD' stuff? I'm sick of Thor, that dude's everywhere.

You'd have to get pretty apocryphal to get more children of God.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Carl's either a mortal or a Sleepwalker.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I Am Just a Box posted:

For all of its crossover friendliness, Beast doesn't seem to bring much to the table for other games if you're not already fired up about the Beasts themselves.

Hunter's kinda similar in that emphasis (Slashers are too meta for my taste), but the Compacts and Conspiracies are so varied in goals, methods, and make-up that it's trivial to insert at least one into a campaign. You'd have to be running a Throng of Prometheans to avoid every social circle or institution that could hold a hunter. Beasts, not so much- they seem like one-off antagonist or flavor, like a Goblin Market in a Werewolf game.

What does the text say about why a player would want to play a Beast in a non-Beast campaign, by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vampires, some Mages, and like one Refinement of Promethean seem like the only groups that would hang out with them.