Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I'm a monster, hooray! Is how 70% of we games go, and the rest are Mage.

Now that play style's actually supported.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Peeps have nightmares every night, accept them, realize they were always the godawful thing from their dreams, just wrapped in a person-shell.

They then do monster poo poo while totes malotes being the good guys 'cause gently caress you ahab, this is my story.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I bet that's also a lovely, watered-down Awakening, except at the same time it's a lovely, distilled Dreaming.

It's Sailor Moon in the WoD, so oHunter, with heavy adds from oChangeling and nWerewolf.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, the God-Machine sets you up in a human identity.

Why can't it remember it put you there when you Fall? Well, that's because

You're the bit of the god machine that cared about your Mission and Cover.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I just don't understand why it's the enemies of these things that the book works so hard to portray as vindictive reactionary terrorists.

The sample character we have is a cabbie who drops assholes off in the poo poo part of town and picks them up the second it stops being funny.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Effectronica posted:

The people who have a power stat that implies being sedentary are the ones that should be going out and exploring.

Lair is an extra dimensional space in the Astral that's also inside you. Like, I'm pretty sure Lair-building is to Beast what filling a Cipher is to Demon.

e:The Dark Mother is clearly the Astral concept of metahuman monsteryness.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 22, 2015

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I wasn't aware that 2e was out. drat I'm slow.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I'm loving that Focus is now two paragraphs detailing how you're a wizard/enlightened scientist/potted plant with a few universal requirements instead of a single line next to your Sphere picks.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 20, 2015

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The Traditions aren't perfect, but they're not the Progenitors.

Excuse me while I look up the debunked race sciences they kept evangelizing. Then we can talk about the babies their real life counterparts infected with syphilis in order to create a docile slave race. After that, we can talk about how, after the medical community dropped the ball on HIV, they totally fixed everything and made sure to never let it happen again!

:suicide:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Goddamnit stop making PAYDAY: the Vigil so attractive!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Androc posted:

It gets weirder than that- remember those times when you specifically go back to a meth lab in the middle of nowhere that the police already hit to make more? It defies conventional logic, it's more like a lazy storyteller re-using props.

What I'm saying is, Payday is set in Arcadia.

This is why you need a parallel world near our world but not our own.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Take the God of Job. Have him just be a divine monarch who fabricated claims and alienated his peers. Do serious research into yhvh's former pantheon. Put them in as aggrieved parties plotting in secret with the Adversary, whom they don't trust and plan to betray as soon as possible. Leave it up to sts if Shaitan is undercover, plotting to regain favor, or genuinely interested in the overthrow of God and the well-being of his peers. Then make his true feelings irrelevant because he's a loving narc who ran "God"'s gestapo.

Meanwhile, everyone else stays away from the shitstorm and tells their kids to do the same.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 5, 2015

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

is that Yahtzee

Yahtzee is a "Hero"

My opinion of Beast has changed. I get Beast. I get Beast. I get Beast.

Spite:the Dickering is the best game to play once and never again that I've ever seen, and if they get the tone into a perfect mix of tails got trolled, freep.text, and tumble.text yes yes yes! Oh wow!

Shame Yahtzee turned out to be a dick, but oh well, dragons gotta drag on.

quote:

teenage girl in a coma questing through the Realm of Nightmare to get home to her parents

Man. gently caress Beast. Every time I

I would loving love to have a character graduate from stupid Heroes and then get killed by a sympathetic/cool Hero in a twist ending where the ST takes revenge on I/ my fellow players for making them run Beast.

I eagerly await confirmation that Beast isn't meant to be a two way street of Tomb of Horror level work of dickery intended as initiation for a new generation of WoD players.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 8, 2015

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I want to believe Matt has some secret loving plan that no one else can see but I thought that about Ex3 as well.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

The True Fae being too busy to have anything to do with you is lame. Did they not bother coming in person to capture you, either?

If you escaped and beat the Other, you may have killed them. You won, and the Huntsmen need to destroy your support networks and self worth to get you anywhere near Faerie.

So, it's not that The Lord of Smog is too busy for you, it's that he's in the loving ground while his bloody executor reads status reports into the grave's speaking tube, crying and receiving commands that none of the other servants can hear.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Except that's true for every single PC because Huntsmen are a game-wide, marquee threat rather than a particular thing happening due to one character's circumstances...?

Let me tell you the worst thing about the White Wolf fanbase, which has managed to extend all the way to this thread: people trying to excuse bad design with worse fanfiction.

By design, every Changeling won. Having a Seeming requires it.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

So, quick rules question for Dissolve (3pt Flaw).

Is it

"If you go past Incap you're dead in ten seconds and there's nothing for it."
or
"If you go past Incap you need to get patched up in ten seconds or you're irrevocably dead."?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

Technocracy apologism in 2015. This, I claim, is ideology.

The New World Order book is the best because "hard men making hard choices while hard" is the most obvious thing to catch in this post-post-9/11 world.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

When you see the Social Conditioning Chart, that's...

Technocratic heroes are sad. They work for a thing that is not worth them. Because it's their home, because it's the only thing that makes sense to them. Because running isn't going to end well, and they'd hate themselves for the rest of their life if they didn't go down fighting.

The Revised Metaplot then got rid of many of the higher ups, leaving room for new growth. The Collegium of Gender Studies, The Feed, Invictus, SISD...

The former Order of Reason is so magnificently rotten that it's beautiful. If they pull it through, if it lives well and does well, it will be a miracle, but Mage is about exactly that kind of miracle.

Technocrats are the greatest heroes of Mage for the same reason that they make such good villains. They're our dark mirror, and they've lost too much to turn back. What has been done cannot be undone, nothing can balance the scale, it cannot be for nothing.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 25, 2015

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

So, essentially, if the WoD core lawyer popped up to fire back at his assailants, that's a valid Arrow, but since Phoenix Wright doesn't kick people's teeth in he'd be a better Thearch or Libertine.

Like, Daredevil could be an Arrow.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 12, 2015

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I just realized why Pentex is still sending checks to the Technocracy.

Ouch.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Primal Utility, or its Nephandic equivalent.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

There are definitely Tempters who can get you real red mercury if you just sign for it.

This is why nobody else can get the real poo poo.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Everyone who looked at the chapter fic and said, "why yes, this deserves to exist and should be how we introduce people to the new edition" needs some form of correction I can't conceive of because I'm too tired.

Between this, Exalted, and Beast, I feel safe not buying more OPP poo poo.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Kellsterik posted:

What, the Mage fic? The writing style of the confession parts was kinda wooden and it could have introduced more of the setting, but I ended up enjoying it and the plot was interesting. What did you dislike about it?

They wrote a happy/successful lesbian relationship for the purpose of destroying it in order to set the stakes and establish tone.

The fact that the Consilium/caucus/Interfector are subhuman filth who failed in their duties as individual Wise and as Thearchs/Mentor/Interfector is second to the fact that someone at OPP sat down, and deliberately bad ended the lesbians. That this was given the green light indicates a failure at every level of OPP, which mirrors the plot perfectly.

Some loving servant of The Ruin sat down and said, "What Chronicles of Darkness needs is more dead lesbians.". Don't loving start in on the mystical fallout of 9.11 excuse, that is the lamest possible loving Mystery and you know it. They deliberately chose to write a lesbian relationship that ends in tragedy. I could explain how the Thearchs sure as gently caress aren't acting like members of the Silver Ladder should, I could fully articulate my disdain for the cutesy Interfector and his trite bullshit, I could express my breakshitkillchokeaguckingdog at their Mentor for what he did, but all that is secondary to the fact that they everyone decided, both in and out of fiction, that those women were an acceptable loss. The Door is a story of people who should have known better failing on every goddamn level. As above, so below, that story is a loving pile of tired hateful garbage.

Who's that lady who leaked Beast and Exalted? Paradox needs to get her in to blow the whistle on this shitpile of a company.

I would also be soothed by the removal of the offending piece of art, an official apology, and it's replacement with a story about how a Sleepwalker who realized that she was a lesbian in a horror story cold-cocked her girlfriend and got the gently caress out, writing her name on the Watchtower of the Lunargent Thorn as she left the evil straights to die in the shitshow that was their idea.

I'm going to summarize. Being a lesbian in genre fic and getting a happy ending is so rare as to merit Awakening as an Acanthus. I expected better from you malign gaggle of loving hacks.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I'd assume Regina's involvement has some significance re subaltern/mentally unwell person vandalizing property. Or she was just linked with the bridge when The Machine moved in, so she got tied up into the whole system and the supervising Wheel called the cops on her to keep her from loving things up.

Or maybe Regina is more important than anyone suspects....

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Poltergrift posted:

Mildly off-topic: if a Demon makes a pledge with a changeling with the Stricture "I won't lie to you," are they essentially getting free pledge points for that Stricture, since there's no way that that Demon can violate the pledge any way but intentionally? My instincts say yes, since supernatural truth perception reads Demons however they want it to do, but would it fall under the heading of "you don't get credit while making a pledge if the stricture is impossible to violate"?

(Kind of a stupid question, I know, but it bugs me.)

Hm. Breaking an oath while also benefitting from it.

Demons can into Hubris and accidentally the abyss!

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 6, 2016

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

quote:

"This is where the real story gets told: nothing is sacred, no one gets a pass, and all skeletons come out of the closet," said Luckyday CEO Henrik Johansson.

If Paradox actually did this, it would be more than worth the sloppy blowjob they'll give themselves.

I mean, just loving imagine it!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

Two demon questions for the thread:

First is about compromise. The core book says you trigger a compromise if a human learns something about a demon's true nature and believes it. How does this work with someone who has Alzheimer's or dementia? Can they really trigger a compromise if they also believe that it's 1967 at the moment and will forget what they heard after fives minutes? What about someone who is tripping balls on DMT? On the other end, how old does a human have to be to trigger compromise? Do they have to also understand what they've heard, can a 6-week old infant trigger compromise in this way? Is object permanence a requirement for triggering compromise?

Second, could a mage, in one way or another, use a demonic soul pact to make a soul stone?

Witnesses being intoxicated is a -1 penalty to compromise. The God-Machine is aware that drunks, dementia patients, etc are poor sources for information and that there are numerous Demonly things around. Actions are being taken to ensure that this is remedied. God is in Heaven, all is well.

That said, The Machine is everywhere. God is in His Heaven. Hell is a dream. But cities are odd, sinful places, with odd, sinful people who defy easy categorization.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 9, 2016

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Jim Henson is a dual trad Etherite|Ecstatic and he died in the Avatar Storm.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Don't disrespect Jim Henson like this ever again.

I look forward to seeing how Kurt Cobain is actually a vampire.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Welp guess it's time to start playing GURPS or something

Actually, what are some other good games in the modern occult fantasy/horror genre? I'm out of the RPG loop.

Take Atomic ROBO RPG and replace science with Magic. Congratulations, you now have a Hellboy RPG.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Horror Recognition Guide

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Space Rangers style text adventures in a territory control game with overlapping spheres of influence.

That's all they loving needed to do.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Speaking of Mage and Vampire and cosmology, how long until our favorite well-wishers get updated for 2e?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Uh, pretty sure you don't have to touch them to take a non-soul thing they signed over..

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

A sinkhole. To specify further, a dried up underground river that aligns with the ley lines or some poo poo to sympathetically erode something very specific, at the cost of maybe wrecking loving everything after that's done.
E:gently caress it, pick a demon at random. It's their neighborhood. Getting the plumbing to code might be advantageous.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 6, 2017

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

When I realized that Moon and Earth Blessing wasn't coming back it meant that virtually every character I wanted to play was going to be impossible to implement.

I just wanted to play the civil engineer turned scavenger Lord who knows that the real treasure is free bricks.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I was the one who made the wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The problem with our repeated Mage Chat derails is that the thread fails to understand how, uh, not profound Mages are. Like,

Pictured:Average Status Three Wizard.

That guy
is a Seer of the Throne, leading the Ministry Paternoster after the creepy Orthodox lepers died.

Also, all the Diamond Orders fell for Athanasius Kircher and every other new age fraud of early modernity, so whatever actually plausible poo poo they have in their libraries, right next to it is loving Blavatsky, and the Blavatsky stuff works just as well, if not better, than the Indo-Greek hermetic poo poo, Agrippine Texts, all your credentialed, legitimate religious practice, and that one Grimoire that's in Esperanto and was sent backwards in time by a supporting character trying unsuccessfully to warn everyone about a baddie.

Make your Wise Awakened Magus' goal so petty that it should be easy, except, no, those are the hard ones. Like a Mastigos movie critic whose goal is to make heaven and earth move such that there's another good Hellraiser film.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 6, 2018