Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh hey you want v5 actual plays?

It seems to work pretty well mechanically, as long as you ignore the vast majority of the fluff.

Our group, set in an OLD british University town consists of:

Georgian-era aristocratic University professor, who continues to be a University professor despite being a Nosferatu thanks to Mask of a Thousand Faces, and continued to be broadly socially progressive for his time until he started studying classics in the late 40s and essentially stopped developing. Constantly namedrops dead academics, uses completely the wrong words for everything, just about understands that phones can be mobile and computers exist, etc etc. Uses the Scene Queen hunting style to represent some of this. My character.
Young up-and-coming Tremere who was, and still is, a moderately-famous author of supernatural fiction in the broadly Twilight vein, with aaaallll that that implies, and is an absolute wiz with Awe.
Malkavian scientist, embraced about 3 months ago, who is deeply interested in all the various 'wtf' moments of becoming Kindred, including, thus far, that ghosts exists, that diablerie can transfer the consciousness/soul?! from the victim to the... well, victim I guess... that mind control is a thing... etc etc.
Brjuah anarch (the rest are all cam, for a given value of cam. Every Kindred in the city within a certain radius is) club owner, who's trying to unite the two halves, break down barriers, etc, in that very Brujah way.
Malkavian (my favourite character by far) whose Malk Thing is that for the first ten years or so of his existence he firmly believed he was still human, just Super hosed Up. We've managed to find a way to tone that down to 'he's aware he's a vampire unless he gets bestial failure' at this point though. His dog H A T E D him. And he was haunted. Still is, I suppose.

Highlights so far have been solving the haunting, including designing a ghost phone, and a trip into London to try to find out why no-one had stopped Brexit (turns out the Inquisition were using it as cover to hunt vampires) which led, among other things, to a heist of the Tower of London which was currently occupied by Inquisition types experiementing on Kindred, and the phrase 'come with me if you want to unlive'.

It is honestly the funniest game of anything I've ever been in, between my incredibly out of touch academic, Andy Is Not A Vampire, a very new vampire scientist who can eat dead blood and carries around a bunch of blood bags most of the time, the author using awe and the crying damsel in distress act to great effect, and the Brujah just despairing of everyone whilst beating all the faces, plus university and broader politics, etc etc etc.... It's been geuninely hilarious, and we all keep having to remind ourselves that this is a Serious Game For Serious People.

That's not to say we haven't had serious moments, the whole Andy Is Not A Vampire plot has had some absolutely heart-wrenching times, and all of London was a survival horror masterpiece, which has involved us emptying London of most of its remaining Kindred and dumping them into our own town. That was last session, the consequences are next session...

And I really, really, really enjoy it. But that's not to say that 5e is inherently a good system, especially as I don't have any experience with any of the other versions, not to mention that basically everything within this could have been trivially framed in another system. And it definitely has some questionable fluff and even more questionable designers.

But whether or not 5e is a good game, which is absolutely up for debate, it's definitely possible to play good games in 5e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Metapod posted:

That rules how much trouble has been being a famous author given your character

Mine is the Nos academic, not the Tremere, but the author is such a fun character, and I keep bouncing off her in interesting ways.

We've not explored the author thing in huge detail yet beyond the resources it gives her (though the stalker has proved an interesting hitch every so often), but the interplay of writing about urban fantasy being what led her to be embraced, and now essentially being a PR person for Kindred society by continuing to do it, just slightly differently, is super fun.

There's been some amazing creativity with this game, because we are all giant nerds, 3/5 of use are also giant nerds IC. Routinely getting 10-die pools for interlligence stuff.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Metapod posted:

Oh my bad i thought the tremere was yours. Lmao she was writing about urban fantasy before being embraced that's amazing. So how does the professor work night classes only?

He supervises one doctoral student at a time, basically. Who just got taken away to the middle east by a rival. And is one of his touchstones. That plus wake with evening's freshness (and a bit of ST flexibility on what danger means), and the vast majority of the University term taking place between October and March means he gets plenty of hours of darkness at semi-reasonable times.

Plus, this is going to be something of a plot point in future, his current mask is like... 70+, and he's going to have to update it soon which is going to be interesting given that he pretty firmly doesn't understand modern technology at all. That's going to be his downfall more than anything, academics at this university, especially classicists, double especially aging classicists, have something of a reputation which helps him out, but starting again as a 30-odd-year-old is probably beyond him now. It's going to be interesting.

I Have Plans.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

tenure is a lie, destroy this liar before he gives hope to young professors

Tenure doesn't exist in this country.

In theory.

In practice when the University is run by vampires...

Metapod posted:

Oh man having to change your identity while working at the same university that's going to be gold. RIP to that touchstone

Yah he's probably screwed.

E: and my Plans probably involve leaving the Universityin the medium to long run . Which given that all 3 of my touchstones are University related and one is in her 70s is going to be painful.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 27, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Metapod posted:

Do the touchstones know he is wearing a mask or will he have to reintroduce himself to his touchstones?

Lol if you think I thought about that when I made the character. I need to talk to the ST about the whole thing, given that this process has happened a good three or four times previously, but this is the only time when it's happened in the digital age.

And no, they aren't aware. They just think he's suuuuuper weird. I suspect his secretary probably knows more than she's letting on, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Metapod posted:

Oh no this could end up being messy for ol professor

Oh I am fully expecting literally the whole thing to blow up in his face somehow. That's part of the fun, I love playing him, but he is very much not me, and I have had a backup character in mind for ages because he was feeling very much at the start like his lovely charisma skills were just too much of a liability and I might just end up handing him over to the ST as a lore-fountain and starting fresh. Despite having been around for 200 years he's basically done nothing to actually join in with Kindred society, he just hides in his library-sanctum doing research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I doubt he'll actually die, but he stands to straight up lose most of his remaining humanity (5 down to 2) in trying to crash the system down with him.