Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

If you're not going to use the goofy obscure words in place of common words then why are you even playing a White Wolf game in the first place

"I use some of my Magic Blood to boost my stats, activate my Running Real Fast discipline, and track the vampire hunter with my Looking At Stuff powers."

Mad Libs is fun.

Ichor, Alacrity, Perspicacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PleasingFungus posted:

remember when you had a five-page-long argument with attorneyatfunk about this exact subject

good times

Ferrinus posted:

Please don't insult me by suggesting that I care about the feelings my posts inspire in others.

good times

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Changelings... just got epic.

These aren't your daddy's Lost.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Esser-Z posted:

Why would you ever use an attack spell instead of OOPS THAT CAR'S TIRE BLEW AND IT SLAMMED INTO YOU or whatever? IMO, Mage surives on creativity, not blasting.

first of all,

Ferrinus posted:

That's an attack spell.

second of all, what if you're fighting the spooky numbers intruder and you're down to just Forces, Time, and Matter? What then, smart guy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

Right, but your inertia and momentum is trying to go in a straight line, earth's gravity is what's keeping you in a circle.

That's Fallen physics, not Supernal reality.

Edit: you'd also move tangential to the Sun, the Milky Way, and potentially the Local Group if this worked like that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

jagadaishio posted:

It's well-written but absurdly narrow. It only does one type of story, and it's almost impossible to put together a group for it.

Omnicrom posted:

Because Promethean is designed to tell one story with one player. It's amazingly good at telling one story with one player, but it's still only one story and only one player.

Could someone please put these motherfuckers out of their misery

Covok posted:

Also, why is Promethean called the best game you will never play in the OP?

Promethean is a game where playing it properly requires a hell of a lot of investment in your character, a hell of a lot of emotional maturity, and a real willingness to play-act painful moments. Finding people who fit all three of these things and want to play it is, uh, unlikely. This is setting aside the parts where it contravenes the basic assumptions of most other games.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

It is still exceptionally well-written and I have high hopes for Promethean 2e.

Yeah, it's gonna be great GMing Edward Elric, the guy from the opening sections of One Hundred Years of Solitude, and Nicholas Flamel, as they take on poorly-written enemy alchemists. :cool:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tulul posted:

Wasn't the problem that there was this whole slant where writers were all "look at these motherfuckers responsible for the modern world! :argh:" and then every single reader immediately realized the modern world was actually kind of great, and that the Traditions didn't look so hot when part of their mission involves destroying modern medicine?

Genuine question, I came in way after the oWoD days.

That was a fan misinterpretation which spread rapidly because hegemony is a hell of a drug.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kavak posted:

Hegemony?

The conflict is between Western, and especially American, hegemony, as represented by the Technocratic Order, and all the alternatives to it, represented by the Traditions. The exalted subjects of hegemony, unable to comprehend it clearly, concluded that it was about everything that happened in the last five hundred years being defended by the noble forces of domination and control.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cabbit posted:

The Ascending Ones, yeah. Ostensibly there's two other parts to that conspiracy besides drug dealing gangbangers, but nobody ever remembers them.

There's also a Compact in the Vampire antagonist book for Hunter, but I can't remember the name at the moment.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
If Beast was based on Beauty and the Beast in a meaningful way, it would be about coming to terms with having a terminal disease. But that doesn't move PDFs.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Two ideas-

1. Get away from Joseph Campbell a bit. The basic heroic cycle is about how the world is thrown into chaos, and the hero brings order back through their actions. Often, this involves killing or driving away some manifestation of the chaos- Tiamat, the Sphinx, Apep, Yamato-no-Orochi. Beasts are the consequences of these primordial actions. They are raw disorder welded into a particular form by the actions of a hero and chained in some way. They feed upon fear, respect, awe for supernatural power. Overfeeding risks them slipping their chains, and prompts the rising of a hero to put them back down. Underfeeding weakens the protective aura around their purpose for existence and puts their purpose at risk to a different kind of hero. Beasts are "crossover-friendly" because they seek companionship, being largely isolated from one another physically. They are "ancestral" because they're the primordial form of what a monster is.

2. Beasts are a metaphor for a terminal illness. Being one is a death sentence. Stages of grief. Blah blah blah anti-Promethean blah.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Also, vampires don't run Spooky Gothic Haunted Taxis. That's another important thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

If they ever do a Horror Recognition Guide 2, there better be a story where the narrator gets tricked onto a boat, kills the driver while he's muttering about the sweet fruits of the abyss, and when they get back to shore there's a huge crowd of vampires, werewolves, and changelings there waiting to high five them for getting rid of the guy that makes the rest of them look bad.

Hahaha

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
What I find most interesting about Beast is how, in attempting to do Barker, they ended up repeatedly hitting the banality of evil dead in the face. I mean, Stephen King would be embarrassed to write about an evil taxi.

What I find most off-putting is, with the Beast-as-queer-folk symbolism, it really seems like they're suggesting that queerness is something that can only exist when performed, and dies if it isn't regularly performed (and while I loathe Andrew Sullivan as much as anybody, it seems a bit gross to call him a fake gay), but the process of performing itself creates unending opposition. Pretty loving bleak, but thankfully I can cauterize this subtext out if I ever get begged to play a game.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Daeren posted:

Let's not say things we know aren't true.

CommissarMega posted:

I think Stephen King would write about an evil taxi, but do it competently. From a Buick 8 wasn't scary, but it was readable, and I found the central conceit one that inspired curiosity rather than fear.

Beast on the other hand, inspires nothing but exasperation on a good day.

Let's meet in the middle and say he wouldn't write Goth Creeper Taxicab Service.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Obligatum VII posted:

The sad fact is, we're (that is, the people posting in this thread) kind of the minority of the White Wolf/Onyx Path userbase. It doesn't actually surprise me that it got funded. Although i don't know which of those two reasons is more prevalent.

I'm pretty sure it got funded because of brand loyalty, and the majority of people did so without reading the backer pdf. There are also probably a bunch of people who would still continue to back it even after reading the pdf and being horrified, because they want to support Onyx Path as a company. Let's not make the Princess: the Hopeful fanbase any more important than they already are.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

Was that the period when he wrote the short story where a kid killed a werewolf with his silver plated wheelchair or something?

I think 1408 may have been written under painkillers.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The central issue with Beast seems to be that nobody really figured out what all the ideas were adding up to at any point up until now. Because queer-as-monster, and specifically queer-as-beast is something with a nice pedigree. Monsters as being an embodiment of fear is something with a nice pedigree. Looking at things from the opposite perspective is something with a nice pedigree. Put them together, and you have an abomination, with the fairly juvenile writing merely being a joke that softens the fairly grotesque nature of the thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There's a Sergei Lukianenko short story about a drifter in a post-apocalyptic world who comes to a town being terrorized by a gang of "vampires". He kills all but one of them, and heads off on a train into the sunset without taking payment, taking the one survivor with him. The guy wakes up and screams at him about how they were just playing, and he says, "Yeah, I know. But real vampires don't like little shits like you."

In this analogy, Beasts are the posers, and every other supernatural line are the real monsters.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Daeren posted:

Beast is the kind of game where it seems like they wanted to write about scenery-chewing, mustache-twirling villains who invited their heroic nemeses into their Secret Lairs while playing their leitmotif on their standard-issue spooky organ, then someone tacked on completely mismanaged social commentary that means both parties end up staring awkwardly at each other when they realize how badly they've been written.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my end because I really love a game where I can yell WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM and flourish my comically oversized black-and-red cape.

Even then, the two parts are themselves pretty bad, unless the abusive vice principal was meant to be social commentary of some kind etc. and they fed off one another.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Daeren posted:

Well yes, but if you're looking for anything actually good in Beast instead of just "this was a good idea once", you're going to end up burning down most everything that isn't the mechanics, and then taking a hammer and chisel to a good portion of those.

E: Like for real, aside from the bizarrely high power level of everything, a lot of the conceits of the mechanics of things like Lairs and Kinship Nightmares and poo poo are pretty novel, and I really enjoy how they work even if I don't always like what they do.

There's some interesting mechanics, and you could probably use some of the fluff in a revisionist context (granted, I doubt that there's a market for playing extrauniversal horrors that are trying to insinuate themselves into monstrous society).

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

Does the author of this poo poo just hate Demon or something?

It's a clumsy attempt to preserve some mystery in the setting.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm still chuckling at the idea of a Beast taking the book's recommended path of trying to make hunters question themselves by turning the question of who the real monster is on them.

"Aha, maybe it is you who are the real monster!" "Yes, I am one of the 666 sons and daughters of Satan and I am perpetually surrounded by hellfire."
"But what if YOU are the real monster?" "No poo poo, I work for an unimaginable horror's pharmaceutical company and half my body has been replaced by things I organlegged from wizards, vampires, werewolves, and faeries."
"But what if killing me makes you the real monster?" "I am a plumber and you are a giant squid that tricks people into swimming in a lake so you can 'punish' them by either drowning them or snubbing them on instagram."

"Perhaps the same can be said of all religions, O faithful one..."
"Yeah, perhaps." *licks lips, pulls on bib, pours clarified butter into chafing dish*

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I mean, here's an example that's not about crossover with my gameline. So I wrote the Promethean page, which a lot of people hate because it establishes Beasts as being immune to Disquiet.

Here was my thinking - Prometheans are inhuman, but (except for Centimani) want to be human. Disquiet is the emotional effect of their inhumanity seeping out, which they regard as a curse.

Beasts are inhumanity cheerleaders. They don't see a problem with being inhuman, and don't understand why Prometheans want to be. They aren't affected by disquiet to reinforce that. In Promethean's case, we all know that that makes Beasts horribly condescending and misguided. We know Prometheans, and that the entire point of the game is the yearning to be human.

Funnily enough, that part made complete sense to me.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's amazing how Beast just keeps getting shittier and shittier, but with a clearly visible trend throughout. I mean Jesus.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I don't think anyone who isn't already into TTRPGs will know what Beast is. It will also probably, hopefully, sink like a rock after the KS is done. But that's secondary. The issue is that they wrote a game where multiple example characters are child abusers, and they need to at least acknowledge this, and ideally apologize for it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

So what faction from each splat would join with Beasts to terrorize humanity and just generally make things worse for everyone?

Strix, Bale Hounds, Banishers, True Fae, Centimani, Ashwood Abbey/The Hunt Club, the Mummy enemy splat

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
So is the Adamantine Arrow Lawyer civil or criminal? Maybe we can get 'em to sue the poo poo out of the Beast that mimics Werewolf attacks for servicemark infringement.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I was thinking of Timori-Banishers when I wrote that, but Banishers are Awakened and can tell Beasts aren't Supernal.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CommissarMega posted:

Something else I've found. Look at this horrible no-goodnik of a Hero:

Who knew the most :black101: thing in a game about playing Cthulhu was a teenage girl in a coma? Seriously, THIS is a PC I want to play, even if she's supposed to be the bad guy.

You see, the whole "murdering children" thing goes back to the playtest leak. Because I remember reading that and doing something of a spit-take when compared to everything else about Heroes.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Is the stuff about the "hunter response" still in the Beast corebook?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
don't worry, melanie is going to grow up to be a TERF or racist or something, so it's all ok!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
i dunno why people aren't quoting the other rpg.net thread where people argue about whether it would be okay to poison and strangle an adult for stealing candy from children

"Also, as others have pointed out, Brent reads a lot more as an adult, or at least "old enough to know better", rather than another child. I'd actually missed that on my first reading of the passage, but he's described as a "young man", and always in terms that set him apart from the children he victimized. It's always "Children" or "Youngsters", not "other Children", "fellow Youngsters", etc. The "Brent's house" argument is weak, and it could stand to either be explicit that this isn't a child she's targeting, or explicit that this is supposed to be deeply uncomfortable and wrong (Possibly with trigger warnings attached to the book), but not getting the same visceral "the authors are evil bastards" vibe some of you seem to be getting off of it."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It would be best not to use Beast at all, because it adds nothing to the nWoD as things stand (beyond an Astral Realm that nobody cares about) and you can replicate just about anything involving Beasts with other lines.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I get the feeling people's (including devs) various mechanical issues basically come down to the old storygames vs tradgames argument and the fact that NWOD (particularly 2E) is something of a hybrid of the two. Like most of the stuff he's saying makes sense if you're looking at the game like you would look at say Fate or Apocalypse World. Obviously NWOD is way more mechanics heavy than either of them but I feel like he's trying to argue for pushing it in that direction.

Edit: It's still drowning in snark though.

On the official Apocalypse World forums, the last time I looked, the consensus was that, apart from joke playbooks, the Touchstone was the most powerful playbook and pretty unbalanced. This analysis wasn't focused on PvP or white-room combat, either.

Balance is always a concern in games, even in the most rules-light ones. The idea that there is a fundamental difference when it comes to "storygames" is a pernicious meme.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

spectralent posted:

Okay now I totally want to read someone doing in-depth Apocalypse World mechanical analysis. Not to laugh or anything, it just sounds like it'd be fascinating if done well.

This I totally buy; the gamelines aren't really designed to be cross-compatible to the extent that the mythoses are only really compatible with some working (and certainly don't have clear, visible "REQUIEM STARTS HERE" stickers on them).

It isn't even that in-depth- the Touchstone's set of moves allows them to very quickly be excellent at everything except Seduce/Manipulate and Read a Sitch. Or they can have Indomitable and Towering Presence, which allow you to seriously affect the course of battles and force people to choose between attacking you or giving in when you give them an order or warning, respectively.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

spectralent posted:

It's clear you're really invested in this make-believe game about vampires, so I'm just going to let you have it.

Yet you cared enough to start this in the first place, so I'm guessing you're just intimidated by the big scary dracula fanboy or something.

Kurieg posted:

To be quite honest. I think that Death Rage/Gauru is a bit too powerful in 2e. But in a straight up one on one fight with anyone I don't think it's too untoward to think that a werewolf could and should win. Vampires and Mages have always had their advantages in other areas, and those are the levers they should be manipulating to win a fight against a werewolf.

Mages and Vampires have natural limiting factors, conceptually, that mean that Werewoofs would have the advantage in combat overall, even if they had identical dice values for full combat mode.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Since the Higgs Field is not mentioned in Forces, logically, I can just use Fraying to weaken it locally, decreasing the mass of the constituent quarks enough that they break free of the strong-force bonds, disintegrating the target within a matter of seconds~

There we go. Forces 3 can be used to not only kill someone instantly, it can also be used to tear buildings apart. Prove me wrong, funhaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The range of things Awakened magic can do is such that I have to ask why I, in a cross-splat game with a stereotypical werewolf and vampire, would focus on combat or social interaction when I can be creating golems, interrogating ghosts, perfecting bonsai planets, etc., doing things that nobody else can really do, assuming that there's no need for an additional skull-cracker or party animal.