Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
e: removed

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

CJ: (in a pseudo street-rap staccato)
They call me CJ, and it was 50 years back
a bitch named Mikki took my blood and gave it back
I thought I was sick, I felt so queasy and green,
I felt myself hooked on something I never seen

:eyepop:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
e: nvm

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 13, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
This is a good rundown from the games industry development side of it: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

Stallion Cabana posted:

It was pitched before shutting down as also having Perma-Death if you pissed off the Prince of your city/server

Who was going to be a standard Player or something.

The impression you get from the article is of a game where the Ideas Guys had all these systems like permadeath and diablerie in mind but no clear sense of how it all fit together in an actual product. When I was following what little news was trickling out, I remember reading individual bylines like "players can be both vampires and mortals, and be turned in game!" and "we'll cater to LGBT players with in-game gay clubs!" but not having any picture of like "what is this game? what do you do when you play?"

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Kavak posted:

They talked about them being slotted into other supernatural groups, but I've yet to see exactly what they have to offer.

The idea as presented is definitely that they are intended for crossover group play. For one, they refuel their MP by being present when other supernaturals do that their own way. In terms of benefits, it's pretty on-the-nose: they can directly give dice bonuses to activating other supernatural powers.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

So what's the theme there? As well as being petty assholes they're fanboys and groupies?

As I understand, in keeping with the 'sandbox' nature of nWoD, it's presenting an alternative Big Setting Idea to the God-Machine stuff that suggests all the supernatural shadowy weirdness of the various gamelines is ultimately connected to a primordial "mother of monsters" that makes all the monsters a kind of family. This ties into some stuff from the Circle of the Crone in particular.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Androc posted:

A lot of the associated flavor text feels... well.

Though I suppose the fact that flavor text is the worst nitpick I have is a pretty good sign. Reading this is mostly just making me remember that it's been way too long since I actually got to play Changeling.

The kith quotes are insane. I assume these are just drafts and they'll be changing in the final version to something that reads a little better, but :eyepop:

I could post literally any of them but I especially like

Fireheart posted:

I remember existing as a single flame in an endless plain of fire. I'm home and free, but I'm still drawn to large fires, I suppose that's why I became an arson investigator.

e: A Game of Beautiful Madness

Maker posted:

I can have this done for you later tonight. If you are willing to wait until tomorrow, I can throw in an object file for making it via 3-d printing. That way, if you ever need another, someone can print you one. I could also get you set up with a 3-d printer of your own – they're really a lot of fun to work with.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 29, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Wizened are going to very explicitly be Tyrion Lannister.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Hunter

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm extremely excited about the idea of more explicitly sharing mage society with sleepwalkers and proximi, that's definitely something i'll be incorporating into my games. I really like how 2e (and even Mummy) is emphasizing proximi, wolf-blooded, stigmatics as viable character types in mixed groups in general, a few of my players enjoy playing in these settings with mechanically simpler characters.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I see that those rules conspicuously fail to mention systemic, or objective, violence. This, I claim, is ideology.

Actually the original outline they posted did specifically mention systemic violence as a topic for this combat sourcebook, which i'm extremely curious to see how they intend to address.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think what you're describing has more to do with how wide-open and nebulous a "real world" setting can be without guidelines on the specific type of game being played. People don't really know what to do so they make whatever random concept. I definitely experienced something like that when I ran Unknown Armies, although that setting is friendlier to a bunch of weirdos running around. In more specific settings for the individual gamelines I think people know more what they're working within as opposed to "anything human".

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Lack of Changeling world-spanning conspiracies controlling everything.

You know how the Night Horrors book had the "Dragon of Capitalism" with his evil Wal-Mart franchise, and the unkillable Dzarumazh? There would be a lot more of that.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Does noted historical documentary "The Burning Times" get a namedrop in M20?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, for better or for worse I think that's a feature not a bug. I think maybe Demons can detect Aether being spent?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Loomer posted:

I think some of Matt's personal hangups from being involved in the fetish scene might be coming through. I don't normally leap to ascribe that sort of thing but what I'm reading so far is really quite strongly suggesting it to me.

It reminds me of when I first encountered White Wolf books and constantly thought "wow, I really don't have the same interests as the people who write this stuff"

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
It sounds like there's the potential to read the book as some kind of in-character artifact of how Beasts see the world, fundamentally not understanding why these humans keep trying to kill them for just doing their thing. It reminds me of this bit from Sandman:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Mexcillent posted:

Also, Matt Mcfarland took over Promethean after the core which was Bill Bridges.

Who was responsible for the original supplements?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
How would I build Shrek and his nemesis, Lord Farquad, in Beast: the Primordial?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

MalcolmSheppard posted:

That one was mine. There's a reference to it in one of my stories in The Fallen World Chronicle Anthology.

The name actually comes from a friend of mine. We were going to print t-shirts with that name and some graphics and claim to be into the most obscure possible band. That's why Schattenbahn has a similarly synthetic origin.

That whole part of the story made me really happy. The Unmurdered Man might be my favorite piece of World of Darkness fiction, it was a total joy to read.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Cryophage posted:

Changeling question: Is there a reason everyone takes on cutesy fairy-tale names?
Wouldn't keeping your human name be better for your sanity/clarity?

For real. I really like Changeling, but I prefer to run it with a slightly more adversarial relationship to fairy things than the writers seem to suggest. Names and titles specifically are something I like to use as a signal for how high Clarity someone has. Like if you meet a guy who claims to be the Flowering Knight of Endless Spring and has a really powerful Mantle of rose petals and birdsong trailing behind him, even if he says he wants to help, that should be a warning sign that he's maybe not in touch with reality and you should be really careful not to say "I promise" within earshot.

Or like the character who gets really buff because he doesn't want to be a fluffy rabbit- I'm extremely down with that and I've sometimes used NPCs with similar attitudes. Your Keeper thought you were a soft li'l bunny to chase around the garden, and they were loving wrong- you've learned the Contracts of Stone to prove it. Or by the same token, I had a Spring NPC once who had been turned into this traditional big strong ugly Ogre brute, but went out of their way to look defiantly femme and stylish because the story of them being a bridge troll is now over for good, got a problem with that?

Anyway- it's not the only type of character I use by any means, but I do really like the idea that the fairy-tale culture of the Courts isn't 100% positive for your clarity and should probably be kept at arm's length. I've always wanted to run a game where I raise the paranoid possibility that the PCs are the only changelings in town who are actually human, and the whole Court hierarchy is some elaborate glamour like the Goblin Market- or at least that the changelings most wrapped up in oaths and titles and Hedgespun silk have secretly given up some fundamental part of their human identity.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Kavak posted:

On an unrelated topic, what happened to the "Scroll of Ages" Mummy mentions, and if that's not happening, is there a good list of inspirations/reference material anywhere?

I love that they explicitly mentioned it in the book because it gets even funnier every year that it doesn't exist.

Inspirations for Mummy:
Jane Loudon's "The Mummy! A novel of the 22nd century"
Planescape: Torment
Music video for "Remember the Time"
"Return the slab or suffer my curse" episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog with the spooky animation
"The Scorpion King" starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

I wouldn't like that for the simple reason that it weakens the abuse metaphor; you've escaped your abuser, but they may still find you again and continue the abuse.

Right, but "the abuse metaphor" isn't the only thing going on in Changeling. That doesn't need to be the end of the conversation. The game and setting has content beyond a 1:1 comparison to surviving abuse.

Like for example, having defeated your Keeper in your backstory runs the risk of your character solving their biggest inherent conflict before you've even played. You're taking something interesting off the field by resolving it offscreen rather than building up to it in some way while playing the game, which is presumably what you're there for.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I'm really hoping there will be some kind of quick-reference sheet because otherwise the initial heap of sessions will just be "uhhh... what can I do at Life 3 again"?

The community will probably come out with one pretty quick, is the good news. There are some good ones for 1e that summarize the printed spells into convenient "this is what you can do" sentences, hopefully that will still be reasonable in 2e if there's a consistent and easily explainable logic behind Reach.

The Changeling 2e posts don't make it look bad to me, but they remind me of reading the core book for the first time and feeling like my idea of what makes this game interesting is really different from that of the writers.

quote:

Ogres can came from a lot of backgrounds, like so many Seemings, but by and large, they share one thing. Ogres were bullied. Most often, this bullying is real, brutal, constant. Bullying that’s really better to call abuse. More rarely, but not impossibly, Ogres come from people who perceived bullying where it wasn’t really happening, and so the abuse that drove them was mostly from their own persecution complex. Mostly, though, Ogres were first people who were pushed and pushed and hurt and hurt until they had no choice but to lash out, to respond with violence or brutality, and that moment, when they snapped, they fled, flung, or were grabbed into the Hedge. The power to snap, the thing that pushed them over could come from within, but often, comes from the Keeper and his servants, to draw the Changeling in.

Like for me, it's important that there isn't expected to be continuity between your mortal life and your Seeming because the identity the fae molded you into isn't who you actually are. The default assumption shouldn't be that you're basically the same person before and after your Durance. It feels too on-the-nose, like everything about the character orbits around them being an Ogre rather than that being one part of their identity that other parts might contradict.

quote:

Blessing: Clarity of Violence. Suffice to say, Ogres aren’t especially good at communicating with words. There are some ideas only her fists can communicate. Once per Story, if an Ogre can manage to get a message across through the use or threat of violence, she gains a point of Clarity for Free.
Curse: Hurt People Hurt People. Despite their outward appearance and instance otherwise, Ogres do feel pain just like anyone else, and so, when someone else can prove to an Ogre, or those around the Ogre, that something is causing him real pain, it’s a Clarity breaking point. This Clarity break only happens once per any specific source for the pain. So, after some heavy conversation and a lot of beers, an ex boyfriend tells an Ogre that his real problem is that he never forgive his parents for dying, and it’s a Clarity break. Bringing up those dead parents again won’t do it. However, pointing out that he’s broken his fist in a fight about the honor of his dead mother, that’s a new break.

Have they explained the changes to Clarity somewhere else? It looks like the other Seeming blessings/curses are mostly about Clarity and not dice bonuses now. I really do like that they're trying to make the Integrity-like stat more active and fluctuating in play in 2e rather than just being a bar that degrades every couple of sessions, but I'm not sure what Clarity is supposed to represent now. This might come back to my reading of Changeling being different from the writers, but I always liked to explain Clarity as "the extent to which you are aware that you are not in Arcadia". Having high Clarity means you can clearly tell the difference between the fairy and mundane worlds, because they are not the same and have different rules. Low Clarity means you're losing your sense of reality and agency, which might manifest as following a fairy tale-like narrative about who you are so you don't have to think too hard about what's happening.

So with that as my reading, I don't really get this- I'm sure it makes sense in the context of the whole 2e book, but I don't see what Clarity represents now that you gain it by being a stereotypical Ogre and lose it by being reminded of your humanity. If anything you should potentially lose Clarity by falling into the role of the dumb, easily tricked brute and resorting to violence instead of words but gain it by being painfully reminded that you're a human being and not a cardboard cutout of a scary monster.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

The thing I dislike about the Changeling material I've been seeing is mostly that it seems to be tying the game much more closely to the themes of abuse, coping, and recovery, to the point that they become really hard to ignore, whereas in the first edition they were closer to being a subtextual thing that informed the line's treatment of stuff.

It feels like this Changeling is going to be a lot harder to use for general urban fantasy adventure.

Yeah. That always irks me because it comes up constantly in online discussions about Changeling, especially in this thread. It's an interesting background element that grounds the magical setting in something human and relatable, but the game isn't literally about abuse, it has space to tell many other types of story.

You can see some of this comparing the Seeming descriptions in 1e to the ones that have been posted so far. The original core book introduces the Seemings as different fairy tale or folklore kind of stories for the example characters and spends most of its text coming at them from that magical angle or what happened in their Durance, almost nothing about who they were before being taken and how this is a continuation of that. This might just be a function of how they're inverting the relationship between Seeming and Kith though, if they're choosing to introduce the more magical elements mostly through the Kith section.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
So like Progenitor, but not as good.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm really liking how this is looking. Literally the three things I was hoping for out of this chapter were the Malleus showing up (check), a compact centered around the "floating world" of urban nightlife (surprisingly check), and a distrusted compact of ronin who have nowhere else to go themed around the redemption/disgrace angle of the Thule Society (fingers crossed).

I wonder if this is before or after the Shimabara Rebellion? Life for a Japanese Christian hunter (much less a missionary) is going to get way, way harder depending on when it's set. On the other hand, playing Silence as a Hunter game would be weirdly cool.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 19, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Bellicose Buddha posted:

So I haven't been here in a while but caught wind that there was some controversy over Beast: The Primordial game. What was up with that?

Basically the writing for the game and some of the mechanics consistently made Beast characters, the ones you're supposed to be playing as, sound really unsympathetic.

In particular one of the core ideas is that your Beast character, who has the soul of a primal monster like a dragon or roc or whatever, subconsciously drives some regular people into becoming supernaturally powerful "Heroes" in order to slay you. The writing really goes out of its way to emphasize how awful and stupid and cruel these Heroes are for wanting to kill Beasts, the idea being that it's trying to subvert the whole dragon-slaying hero's journey narrative, but it comes across as really weird because not only are Heroes literally created by Beasts and wouldn't have become driven to kill on their own, the example Beast characters are consistently depicted as doing really uncomfortable and unsettling stuff (as opposed to the sort of broad-strokes romantic horror of most Vampire characters for example) like poisoning children or killing innocent people for laughs that would seem to completely justify Heroes wanting to kill them. On top of all that, these major antagonist Heroes are specifically compared to the culture of internet trolls, Gamergate, twitter harassment, etc in a way that comes across as saying more about the developers than these fictional characters they created. The developer poured fuel on that fire by dismissing questions and criticisms with stuff like "wow, sounds like we've got a Hero wannabe over here #NotAllHeroes :rolleye:".

But that negative reaction became so widespread in the online discussion about the game that it appeared to be having a noticeable effect on the Kickstarter for Beast, like backers were vocally withdrawing pledges and progress slowed to a crawl compared to other campaigns they've done, which has provoked the developer to reconsider and begin revising parts of the text of the game to try to address some of these issues.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

The Technocracy were villains because they embodied all the excesses and abuses of neoliberal imperialism combined with a monolithic bureaucracy that has absolutely no idea what it's doing. The Technocracy are great, so long as you don't mind the death squads, the "disappearances", the "don't ask questions", and the regular brainwashing of its members to ensure loyalty. They're basically a product line away from being Friend Computer.

Right, and Heroes are villains because they embody all the excesses and abuses of Twitter death threats and ethics in games journalism, because that is what they were written as. The original developers of Mage wrote a setting where the Technocracy were the villains because they personally really loving hated people and systems like that and wanted stand-ins for them to be the bad guys, which later writers reacted to by saying "this fictional group is potentially more nuanced and complex than the real world Bad Thing they were originally written to represent". This is what's happening when people online (or even Beast writers) try to find reasons why the sleeping beauty coma girl Hero character is actually an evil bully, because it has already been decided that Heroes are stand-ins for a real world Bad Thing rather than a purely fictional group.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 23, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think I am starting to get tired of the bravado of these previews. I get it, Seemings are about empowerment now, but I would like to see something else for a change.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they spin Wizened. Gain a point of Clarity when you lash out at something beautiful out of spite for your own twisted body!

e: I've said my piece about 2e at this point but

quote:

Maybe the Elemental-to-be stayed on course, attempting to be the most special, the most important, the most unique of all the captives at the Keeper’s hand. Maybe she determined to burn the brightest, even in hell. Or maybe she went dim, fading, beginning to become nothing since she could never hope to matter anymore. And yet, at some point, brutal winds toughened her skin, or else the pain of hot steel dimmed and she felt only the sensation, not the agony. She saw, for the first time, the elements around her, and realised how big and wild nature itself was, the biggest most important thing. In that moment, she decided to release her ego, her need to be special vanished in an instant, and her heart fell out, hitting the ground, and shattering to a thousand useless pieces all at once. Quickly, she filled that hole, her heart, herself, with the raw possibility of the elements, embodying fire, electricity, ice, light, any such overwhelming force. And in making that choice, she used the element itself to escaping, becoming it’s child in the real world, free of the Hedge.

need a ", which is bad" here

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 25, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Verr posted:

I've been having a lot of fun putzing through nMage books. I'd love to run a game, but I'm not a fan of WoD chargen or the system. Has anyone run anything a little more FATE/PbtA/ORE using the Mage setting?

At one time I tried to run nMage in FATE but it didn't go long enough to really play with the rules much. If I did it again, I would use FAE and use the Arcana as Approaches, so that you might use Time both for actual Time spellcasting as well as mundane actions which require precise timing or even those involving history and finding information about the past and future. I had a whole set of associations planned out once, like Life is also physical strength and interacting with nature, Death is also generally interacting with ghosts and the undead as well as things involving shadows and stealth, Prime is general knowledge about magic and the Supernal and interacting with other Mages, etc. And as with core approaches you might have more than one option as to which one you use in a situation.

I also introduced a new stress track for Mana which would be marked off by especially potent spells (player and GM discretion). I think I was considering Paradox as consequences for that track, so you could avoid a Mana expenditure/refresh your track with increasingly severe Paradox. Other than that my feeling was that most spell effects could be described by Aspects, maybe getting a little more fiddly with the whole FATE fractal for more complicated things like magic items or empowering a ghost to fight for you.

e: i cannot even imagine running Mage in ORE, but if you want to venture down that twisted road, check out the Nain supplement for REIGN to get some ideas. It has a very interesting magic system based on combining keywords that you could maybe reimagine as the Practices and Arcana, and deals a lot with conflict between magical groups like cabals or Orders/Ministries.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 26, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Q: isn't DtF Hell a featureless psychic void where you can't touch anything

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I just recently discovered the Mage chronicle book Reign of the Exarchs features a Hindu antagonist who believes the Exarchs and the Trimurti are one and the same, which I guess isn't that far off from the Scelesti Christian minister in Night Horrors who thinks the Abyss is God talking to him.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm guessing that Curse isn't going to make it through editing.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Tezzor posted:

On the subject of Tradition mages hating lightbulbs from a few pages back: why wouldn't they? Lightbulbs cost money and have to be bought in a store, probably a big box store that treats its employees poorly and which requires time and effort and gasoline to get to. Lightbulbs are fragile and finite by design. They can injure people if they break, or by falling or burning themselves when installing, or while stumbling around looking for a switch. Their parts are mined, they are produced in factories, go in landfills and require electricity, which all means they pollute. The fact that they run on electricity through a wire also means that massive numbers of people must be engaged in dangerous physical labor to keep them working, and they produce waste heat requiring even more pollution to re-cool the room, and they stop working by the millions due to something as stupid as a squirrel standing on a power line.

Or you can just wave your hand and light up a room. That's just as possible and a lot less poisonous and labor-intensive. Don't be so attached to the scraps you've been thrown.

But, let's not.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm making a Mage character and I think I want them to be a member of or associated with some kind of heresy or dissenting group that's distrusted by the mainstream Orders. Something from the books would be a good start but I don't know them super well. I'm thinking of the section in Left-Hand Path that talks about pacifist Arrows more than like, Tremere. I'm not necessarily thinking a Legacy, more like a faction.

Basically I want "unusual perspective, weird and potentially associated with dangerous magic, but not 'evil' in a way that will be disruptive to the party." I want to play a character that's connected to a tight-knit group with goals I can try to advance, but is contrary to the mainstream and makes interesting trouble. What kind of content exists like that?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Rites of Spring is my favorite from a player side because it adds so many fun new Merits and Contracts to play with.

Yessod posted:

Swords at Dawn has a bunch of stuff on tale crafting, but the rules are a little meh - if you're really familiar with fairy tales and Joseph Campbell you can probably come up with a better system for when people go low clarity and start getting hooked on using fate to turn everything into a myth.

The talecrafting chapter has the best opening fiction/art in the whole line and heavily informs how I run Changeling.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I was more expecting the Klan as Heroes, that seems tasteful.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Punting posted:

I know that Beast is defining the term Hero in a rather...unusual way, but honest to god this sentence is making something in my brain shrivel up and die. :smith:

I actually had that same reaction when I was typing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Wanna play that Obrimos.

I just got into a Mage game that's tossing around character concepts right now too, and we're getting an interesting mix from people who know the system and setting really well and people who are completely new to RPGs. I'm trying to decide whether Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon is a good inspiration for a Moros mage or a really, really tone-deaf one. You got gold, you got death, you got obsession, you got transformation and stagnation...there's magic, I mean, the book features magic.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 11, 2015