Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Are they any widely popular house rules for nMummy? Ones that skew simpler, not more complex. I keep coming back to the game, but it is just so full of fiddly bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

I abandoned this battle in despair after M20 announced that you know what, maybe the Traditions do hate light bulbs after all.

I haven't read it, yet, but now I can't wait.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I've more and more come around to favor the idea that whatever your Magic Points are, they're more fun if you don't spend them all the time. Dicking with tracking them all the time is boring, and in the event they do run out, you're typically cut off from the part of the game that in large part gets people to the table. It's better if the bulk of your cool powers have more interesting costs, or no cost at all.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

I didn't see any vitriol directed at her, though, just Zak.

I'm sure even if everyone on the anti-harassment end has remained eminently reasonable, from her ill-informed perspective it still looks like a bunch of bullshit coming in her direction. Also, there seems to be a lot of unrelated "SJW politics!?:argh:" types throwing poo poo more directly at her, particularly on Steam.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 21, 2017

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm finally coming around to Awakening, and I'll be finished with the core book soon. What is a good book to read next? The society for mages is much more concrete and expansive than I expected. Do they walk back or nuance-up the weird "many of these organizations have been around continuously for 2000 years straight"?

Another thing that strikes me so far is that I could use more talk about the practical application of Mysteries in a game. The mechanics so far seem kind of boring, though again I'm not done with the core so maybe it will satisfy me after all.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While a sparse paragraph, in Chronicles PC vs PC or NPC vs PC social rules are supposed to be a bargain. It could use a little more fleshing out*, but it's explicitly not the agency-stealing mind control scenario.

* In general, the weakest parts of the new rules are where they took lessons from "story games" but didn't lean hard enough into it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Sure, that's not a great example. You don't have to like it or play it that way, but acting like there's only "what the character's player personally allows" or "terrifying mind control" is as much bullshit as saying you should play a way you don't like.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ferrinus posted:

If I had a mind to put more defined and resource-intensive social mechanics into WoD I'd be very likely to add a "Limit" track or some other psychic resource for social rolls to work on that isn't just Willpower, just because it can be stifling to have your primary "get stuff done resource" also be your health bar or at least your plasma shields. However, putting a lot of Willpower into a social situation and, later, having less to spend in a fight or something is like... the point? That's the benefit of having multipurpose resources like that, it makes different situations in the game indirectly affect each other.

Doors sort of already work like this. It probably wouldn't take a hell of a lot of work to flesh it out better.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I saw a suggestion earlier in the thread about making Wisdom more like Harmony, where each end is really just a different extreme of an overarching character aspect, instead of a scale of "bad" to "good", with an attendant modification to some key mechanic. I find this idea appearling. Are there more fleshed out house rules to this effect somewhere, or suggestions along those lines, for Wisdom and other "morality" tracks, that I could look at?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Considering how separate they are, I'd be surprised if any White Wolf: Son of the Return of White Wolf products were listed in Onyx Path's release schedules. And certainly not mixed in to the list of their own products unremarked.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Xinder posted:

oh

i thought it was about being a big scary monster

:lol: Beast is so bad at its own elevator pitch that for the most part you don't get to be an actual scary monster in physical form. You feel like a dragon. (A dragon that perpetuates abusive relationships to "teach lessons" but is also supposed to be the good guy.)

It absolutely is an unintentional parody of the worst Tumblr otherkin bullshit. It's like someone read nothing but watchful-entity and then said "Yes, this would both be fun to pretend to be and would be complimentary to the subject." Otherkin and Tumblr deserve better.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Goa Tse-tung posted:

those also aren't the people actually designing the game, or at least they don't appear in the team description

It doesn't list any particular authors for the system book, though. How could that possibly be important to anyone!!!?? :suicide:

It'd be pretty great for them to have Stolze and Sheppard and not get them to do system stuff for them.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

So apparently the Vampire Documentary doesn't mention OPP at all, has V20 just appear out of nowhere, and talks about WWP like they're the second coming.

Is there a trip report? Or is it available to stream somewhere?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I already didn't have any hope for this, but, if true, that Islam poo poo…woo boy.

Also lol 40 books in development gently caress off

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rate each book on the back cover for number of severed rear end-smears. A traditional scale of 1-5 smears.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Here is a report on Berlin that's a little less blatantly alarming. I still have full faith the "call of the East" will manage to be pretty racist.

quote:

Over 13K responses to the WW survey. 56% say they play a physical game — board, RPG, card — at least once a week.
WorldOfDarkness.com, which they're planning to turn into a big immersive user portal for WoD game players of all kinds. (Starting with the LARPers, because audience.) Analogous to StarWars.com and D&D Beyond. Open beta this summer.
Storytellers Vault, a DM's Guild-like UGC program where people can publish fiction and game supplements—starting with all four prior editions of Vampire: the Masquerade. (50% author/publisher split of money; partnership with DriveThru.) Summer 2017.
Announcement of Tampa by Night (September 28-30, 2017), another in the series of WoD boutique events.
By Night Studios: Changeling the Dreaming (the next LARP release)
VTES Anthology — the first print set for the game in years — given to each attendee
There will be V5 playtests at Gen Con and other upcoming events.
Vampire: Fifth Edition will come out as one core rulebook—meant to imply cross-compatibility with other 5E games—and two standalone setting books: Camarilla and Anarch. The setting books will be deluxe, photo-illustrated, and useful as a setting bible for WoD stuff all around.

The new Vampire continuity splits off with "Beckett's Jyhad Diary."
System focused on species-specific traits.
V5 tracks "hunger" rather than a blood pool.
The Elder vampires have felt the call to the East, summoned to hidden temples to fight the Gehenna Wars. (Save those who succumb to diablerie and gorging themselves to stay.) The Sabbat have stalked after them. But that's largely offstage now.
The Second Inquisition: Mortal intelligence agencies have discovered the nature of the Kindred and are using technology to hunt them down.
Anarchs have been exiled from the Camarilla, along with Caitiff and thin-bloods. A new emphasis on the masquerade. City hierarchies are even more drastic.
In the face of these challenges, Kindred society goes dark — vampire cities become more isolated, and there's a slow reversion to Dark Ages traditions.

Werewolf: "Gaia is dying of fever." Impergium is "back on the table"
Mage: There's a reason why vampires have a hard time using modern technology and the internet… "Colliding worldviews." Mage will come 3rd. "In a world where some of the most fantastic things in the book can now be ordered online…we have to step up our game. And, if AI has advanced as far as it has in our world…who runs the Technocracy?"
Chronicles of Darkness: It continues. Ask Onyx Path, it's "their thing."
Demon: "We'd love to bring it forward. Bring your pitches." Some other lines, like Wraith and Changeling, may come out in different formats first.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, that Hunger mechanic sounds neat. That combined with all the other changes to setting and mechanics makes it seem like they don't actually care about preserving a direct lineage with the previous editions (which isn't necessarily bad), but then why the gently caress stuff ATTENTION: NOT CANON sidebars and other changes into a related but very different gameline.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't remember or have access to the specifics, but isn't there an Embed that allows demons to reproduce the magic of other supernatural creatures? Could that be used to understand and speak High Speech?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kavak posted:

So apparently Cyanide Studio's Apocalypse game was at E3, but I can't find anything but blurry screenshots from their twitter, not even a trailer hosted somewhere. It's possible they don't have anything besides that, but then why even show it? Why even bother announcing a video game if you don't even have a bullshot trailer or something ready? Did Swedracula go yelling about it before they were ready and now they have to keep up with him?

I love that it doesn't even really have a title, it's just "Werewolf: The Apocalypse: The Video Game."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ZearothK posted:

You know, oWOD would work wonderfully in a crossover with LISA.

The current White Wolf would probably end up crossing over with Lisa instead.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

What does determine a Ventrue's feeding limit anyway? I mean, like, in-universe.

The same vaguely Biblical magic curse that determines most of the other ones, if there's anything at all to explain it. Not that there's any compelling alternatives I can recall ever being presented.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

Inklesspen does those updates manually and is well behind.

Check the thread. :getin:

I thought it was all caught up as of a week or so ago.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

MRH put up a Kickstarter for a not world of darkness game set during the American revolution using his playing card character sheet system.

Just :lol: at this point.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^ Yes, please.

Islamic Golden Age seems like it would be perfect for rival ideological factions, viz. Mage, so this is even more disappointing than it would be just because of Beast.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Every era from this and the previous books should be Mage + Vampire + wildcard.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

Dark Eras 2 has funded, taking 20 hours or so to raise that last 200 dollars.

I'm calling it - it will end before it hits a stretch goal.

I will make the books claim that they can get $5k more in 22 days.

Rand Brittain posted:

Isn't that kind of unprecedented for an Onyx Path kickstarter? Usually they hit their opening goal within the first day.

I think so. I didn't pay attention to the first Dark Eras campaign. Did it do relatively poorly? Maybe core books are where it's at?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

So is, "Building a Legend" something I need to hate-read now, or is it like the Dark eras thing where it's merely non-offensive but not fantastic.

It promises some cooperative world-building stuff applicable to more than just Beast. That might possibly be legitimately okay.

It's also only 60 pages.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

occamsnailfile posted:

Isn't there a lot of argument among factions in VtR about the truth of their history as well? Doing a Gilgamesh thing could be interesting but it also treads into answering those questions. Some fans really want answers to their mysteries but I'm always wary at this point, as the buildup is so often better than the payoff.

I think they did a phenomenal (lol) job with the Mage and Werewolf stone age stuff in the first Dark Eras. Ideally, they'd do something similar where modern factions and histories are basically meaningless, because they're so far removed. Come up with an entirely new set of Clans so bizarre, any vampire historian with the unlikely knowledge of them can claim they're where all the night children came from, but no one in the modern era is going to believe them. Hell, you could put a huge wink at fans arguing over this poo poo by having it be a big inter-Covenant argument over whether they're the first of their kind or not.

Basic Chunnel posted:

smdh @ nerds choosing dime-a-dozen Arthurian Europe over the fuckin Jazz Age

This, but also Gilgamesh would be cool, too. I really just cannot get excited for yet another take on Arthur.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Loomer posted:

Once, this would have been a dream. Even with the bad terms, the rip-off clauses, the unfair sharing of proceeds, I'd have been all over this. Histories of bloodlines and adventures exploring lost histories!

But now? Nah.

Yeah, all of these programs so far have banked hard on "finally, I can be a real, big-boy game writer, and in my favorite setting, too!" The only reason anyone should be participating is if they seriously don't give a poo poo and the bulk of the work is something they'd do regardless. So why not get a drive-thru cheeseburger meal out of it?

I guess it's nice that homebrewers will have easier and readier access to good art assets if they want them.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh my loving crap, these template downloads are a mess. RARs within ZIPs, and obvious duplicated copy-paste names with contents swapped around.

I can't wait to find out why the V20 template ZIP is 233MB, or why the revised clanbook templates are loving nearly 700MB. I'm guessing the servers are getting slammed, it's hell trying to pull these down.

EDIT: Okay so the bulk of it for the V20 template is it has one enormous fuckoff file that no one participating in this program would need at that resolution, and then it sort-of duplicates it in a smaller but still enormous high-fidelity file. This is dumb.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 12, 2017

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kavak posted:

What's the file?

The marble texture background for the book cover.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I guess you can make these things PoD? I thought you couldn't, but I don't see anything explicit. That would merit 300dpi images. I wonder why I've never seen someone make some insane, terrible PoD book available in these community content programs?

They still really need to clean up their poo poo. Duplicating an 80MB file and filling ZIP files with RARs full of other duplicates is amateur hour. I wonder if anyone has successfully downloaded the ~700MB files?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm interested in Mage 2e. It's pretty loving wordy but I probably have no room to complain considering I play Exalted. Anyway, how did you guys find the rules?

Pretty good. It's fiddly enough that you need invested players to approach having fun with it, as opposed to Ascension's looser guidelines which could allow someone to coast on a very bare understanding of the rules. Creating cool, long-term magical stuff costs permanent Willpower, which I dislike, but I've made my peace with that being in every WoD game ever.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

If it makes you feel better you can think of it as a 1-XP permanence tax, that being the cost now to replace that Willpower dot.

Yeah, as others have expanded on, that's not something I'm all that excited about.

I feel like this is a problem that was begging to be resolved with Conditions. I also really like Ferrinus' mitigation idea upthread.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 16, 2017

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Xinder posted:

That description of Mummy sounds...worrisome. I like the bits of lore stuff I've picked up skimming the ww wiki, so I'm hoping it's not actually that bad.

Mummy has a great premise with some janky and unnecessarily complex rules that are organized badly, and it's all buried under thirteen mountains of stereotypical, hyper-obtuse WoD in-character jargon. I like the game a lot, but it really needs player investment, and it can be a struggle to get some people to absorb all the rules for an Apocalypse World game. Imagine foisting upon them 50 pages brimming with ten-dollar words in a fictionalized foreign language.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Actually I think MRH's delayed games have been released, unless there was more than two of them, but they're not very good. Either lackluster "innovations" like card-based character generation in his no-they're-zombies-not-vampires game, or ridiculously on-the-nose political commentary disguised as a game.

Then there's one where you're basically playing a "serious" version of Bedlam Hall (which released PDFs recently), except with his card-based characters and he's not directly involved in creation so maybe it will release on time?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

KirbyJ posted:

I'm reading the M20 Book of Secrets and Jesus Christ I don't miss oWoD. 16 pages of secondary skills. The writeup for Newspeak made me think that not only was getting this a mistake, everything I've ever done with this hobby was a mistake, and I've been living a ie.

2/10 causes existential crises.

I laughed when I saw the Abilities section. Have any of the other 20 lines crapped out a pile of extra skills like that? I can't recall that they had. The V20 Companion is like loving 90% about Kindred society and how it works. Why couldn't they make a book like that?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Okay so I finally successfully downloaded the 3rd Edition Clanbook templates from Storytellers Vault.

It's 650MB.

280MB of that are 14 duplicated files.

Almost half this enormous file is literally no more than an organizational gently caress-up.

:thumbsup:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There's honestly a lot less :magical: stuff than I thought there'd be on the Vault. A lot less content in general, really. And some of it looks legitimately fairly interesting, like the better-written setting guides by people who actually live in the place in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, they released the super future sci-fi game first, then the"five minutes in the future" superhero game, then the early 20th century pulp game.

That last one, Adventure!, is legit still good, for a WoD-like system.

The new Storypath system they're using for the second editions (and Scion 2e) looks like a good step forward from what little I've seen.