Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Loomer posted:

On the bright side, you can be fairly certain the next book will not contain FARS even after Beast.

Don't tell me what I can't do! :argh:

Though, seriously, Deviant drawing on potential only so far tapped in Freak Legion for Gooey bodyhorror does not, thus far, extend to "Savage Genitalia" as a Variation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Kurieg posted:

Has the beast dark eras stuff been released yet?

No, it's in the Companion, which is eking its way through art and layout.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Jhet posted:

You can eat raw cookie dough. Just source your eggs well and they're perfectly safe.

In CofD news...

I ordered the mage book and received it today. The printing quality is really pretty good, and the content is laid out well, with a legible font, with a color scheme that I can actually read. Big step up from Awakening 1.0.

Now the only question that I have left to answer will take reading the book. Because 1.0 really needed Tome of the Mysteries to really shine, so I'm hoping this version doesn't. Granted, I already have it, so maybe they're just going to be compatible and I'm dithering about nonsense.

I would advise against Tome of the Mysteries. What we don't already cover in the new core or the upcoming Signs of Sorcery, we either covered in Imperial Mysteries and Left Hand Path (both also 1st ed, but closer to 2e's setting than it is) or is outdated.

An entire chapter on how to fit new spells into the 1e Practices will not help you in 2e. Nor will the essay on 1e Wisdom.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Mors Rattus posted:

I have a challenge for you guys! What are all the things that you can do to humans in nWoD that you can't do to animals?

Stuff like:
1. Vampires get lovely Vitae off animals.
2. Animals have no human soul so can't be hit with soul loss stuff.
3. Animals go to the Dreaming Earth instead of having dreamscapes/Temenos poo poo.
4. Animals are not affected by Disquiet.
5. Animals use the higher of Wits and Dex for Defense.

I'm sure there must be other weird rules interactions but I can't think of them right now.

Actually, number 5 isn't true in second edition. It was for most of first edition, but a few games slipped out forgetting about it, and then it got quietly dropped.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Cabbit posted:

Doctor Strange, poo poo, more like Doctor Mastigos.

Astral combat, extrasensory projection, wide-scale application of spatial manipulation for offensive and defensive purposes, constant use of portals, lies, personal demons, ego, manipulation, compromised morals-- poo poo, the end of the movie is literally endless self-flagellation for the greater good.

If anyone ever asks you how to play a Mastigos, make them watch Doctor Strange.

Also, every drat character has Platonic Form as a rote.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Mors Rattus posted:

Hunyadi Dorjan

The first thing I ever wrote for White Wolf.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I did the survey white wolf is sending out to onyx oath newsletter subscribers and, surprise surprise, they really wanted to know if I liked LARPing and if not what it would get to make me start liking it.

The removal of all LARPers?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Soonmot posted:

Geist is on the schedule, I forget who was in charge of it, though.

Travis Stout. (gimpinblack of this parish)

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

DB, I've been meaning to ask, is there likely to be a legacy book for 2e in the future? Or is it making your own?

Maybe. I had an idea for a new format for them.

I have a couple of nearly-finished 2nd ed Legacies I had to make for my own chronicle I'll put up online, once I've finished writing the current thing I'm writing.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Vanguard Warden posted:

Yeah, when I noticed that XP was earned per-player I immediately thought about adding up the group's beats at the end of each session, dividing it by the player count, and then rounding it up to the nearest XP to end sessions at clean and neat totals. I feel like some of the people in my group would be very much not okay with the each player's XP totals being all over the place.

This is usually flat-out stated as an optional rule. Only a few books don't have it.

I'd never run a 2e game without Group Beats.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

citybeatnik posted:

Mage is fun.

Even if I might be losing my Gnosis 2 Mastigos to me being an idiot and not realizing that summoning up a Rank 4 goetia to go "Dormammu, I've come to bargain" at is a terrible idea.

You, sir, win the prize for best Mage player anecdote this year, and you are doing it exactly right. Do tell us if you survive!

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

thegoatgod_pan posted:

I never played Werewolf and am still figuring out the whole spirit world issues, basically on the back of DaveB's spirit world descriptions in Broken Diamond, and, of course, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. However, DaveB has never had a Thyrsus in his group in the campaigns I read

There's a Thyrsus in The Man Comes Around (which has a full set of Paths and Orders among the five player characters - but even if you read it, the other two haven't turned up yet in the recapped sessions) but she's monopolar, has Spirit 1 because the chargen mechanics require it and otherwise ignores it in favour of buying Mind and Fate so she can get into the Sisterhood of the Blessed. The cabal in my game spend longer exploring the Underworld than the Shadow, because the Moros character is a medical examiner with access to the city morgue, that morgue has an Avernian gate in it, and he has the duel project of keeping tabs on the ghosts living in the nearby areas of the upper Underworld and trying to map out where other gates are from the inside, so the cabal have an "in case of dire emergency" escape route.

He understands the Underworld. He doesn't like it, but it's not there to be liked. The one time a Thyrsus friend in another cabal took him on a shortcut through the Shadow, he hated it.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

thegoatgod_pan posted:

Has the Man Comes Around been updated? The version I read only had three PCs and trailed off inconclusively.

The thread? No. But it's my house game, and it's still chugging along.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Daeren posted:

To my memory, it is very heavily implied but never outright stated that the strix are beings from the Lower Depths, almost certainly one that lacks Life. This on its own is weapons-grade rocket fuel for plots, should you go reading up on the Lower Depths in 2e's core or Left-Handed Path. If you roll with this, the Red Worm and the strix will utterly despise each other, as things from the Lower Depths (particularly Inferno) and things from the Abyss do not play well together.

It's only not said in Requiem because we'd then have to spend wordcount on "what the hell is a Lower Depth?"

But yes, the weird shadow-world Brutus contacted the Strix in in Requiem for Rome and the place Strix go to when they use that one power that opens a gateway is a Lower Depth.

As F&F says, though, most Strix are from this world. They "live", reproduce, and die here. If their prehistoric origins are from a cosmological cul de sac, then what of it? Arisen Mummies are more tied to the Lower Depths than they are.

Daeren posted:

In terms of arcana, strix are "none of the above."

They're made of shadows, and the Death Arcanum works just fine on them. You can pull them about like taffy if you have shadow control spells.

This is an excellent way to really piss them off, though, and mages are explicitly, hilariously, not immune to being possessed.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 27, 2016

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Doodmons posted:

So is it just the shadow control portion of the Death Arcanum which works on them, or does their nature as beings of death allow you to do Spirit Arcanum-style shenanigans on them/to them? Would a Death mage be able to, say, bind and control them, or modify their stats directly?

Just the shadow control part - they aren't ghosts, and they aren't made of ephemera.

Doodmons posted:

Actually, on that note, with respects to goetia and ghosts: Do the Mind and Death Arcanums act like the Spirit Arcanum for the purposes of interacting with goetia and ghosts? i.e. can you replicate a particular Spirit spell w/ the equivalent dots of Mind or Death and use it on their respective ephemeral being type? My instincts say yes, but I'm never sure with Mage.

Largely, though Mind can't give Goetia Manifestations by itself, as they don't have the capacity to have them in their natural state and you have to Pattern them in from Death or Spirit.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Joe Slowboat posted:

This seems clearly true, but they also really seem to completely trivialize normal Mage-level play, which means that I'm really inclined as a GM to quietly erase them from the cosmology. Has anyone run into this in actual play? It's possible I'm worrying over nothing, but I have at least one player really prone to focusing on high-level elements (he played a Sidereal in a local adventuring-Solars game in Exalted, for example) and Archmages have already come up in concept, and I would prefer to focus on the Seers of the Throne and the Tremere and the like, which all seem to be rendered irrelevant by the existence of Archmages.
Oh, speaking of which, thought experiment: What the heck would a Tremere Archmage be like?

It's possible what Tremere do to their soul and gnosis means they can't become archmages. I don't think we've said anywhere.

The Pax and certain other setting elements (like the fact that the Pentacle explicitly ban archmasters from holding political office) are designed to keep them from acting like Mage: The Ascension archmasters, where they sat in Horizon Realms and gave PC-level characters their marching orders.

Archmasters are, outside the niche of a niche of playing them, in the game to serve as Merlins, Kosh Naraneks, and the like. If you can find an entrance to a Chantry (and the owner is not hostile) they fit into a chronicle as advisory npcs. They can't spam miracle-level spells on a pc's behalf because they require Quintessence, which allows for pcs to go on quests for whatever their archmaster mentor needs to help out, and don't interfere with the affairs of lesser mages because of the Pax.

Which stereotypically leads to them breaking the Pax once on behalf of the pcs when it's really, really important, and then... Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnD1p4-8c5Y&t=75s

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Can you tell us more about the Tremere in the new Mage?

Rather than being a Legacy that breaks almost every rule of Legacy design, they're a modified template like Mad Ones; Houses (like Nagaraja or Seo Hel) are the Tremere equivalent of Legacies, which have fewer Attainment slots. And then the Tremere organisation is also a Nameless Order.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. I saw Gauru and rolled my eyes and assumed we were just making things up. I'm still rolling my eyes at Gauru actually.

I hate it a little less. It's still pretty drat obtuse.

I'm no good at inventing new terms in First Tongue, especially naming spirits. When I work on Werewolf books, I just mark things up for Stew to translate into First Tongue.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Prism posted:

Except run out of vowels.

(Yes, I know w is a vowel in Welsh, but it sure doesn't look it when you just skim it as a non-Welsh speaker.)

Actual redline from Matt McFarland: "Give a pronunciation guide. You monster."

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Jhet posted:

I don't recall. I just go by what's listed on the OP release schedule and Monday meeting updates. That would be cool if it was coming, but I'd expect it to be a ways off still.

New York's Mage 2e setting was too big for the corebook, and will be in Tome of the Pentacle (the book after next).

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Axelgear posted:

I'd count Mages as humans, myself. There's in-setting reasons why this would be, but the big reason is "It lets them gently caress things up for everyone even more", and if Mages need anything, it's more reasons for other supernatural creatures to hate them.

I endorse this message!

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

LordAbaddon posted:

I think Deviant is going to benefit from having a clearly defined plot hook to work from that doesn't really step on the toes of the other lines too much. The "weird science" and "experiment on the run from, and potentially plotting to take vengence on, its creators" angles give it a steady enough narrative footing that we won't see the problems Beast has that its trying so hard to justify its own existence that it actively sabotages itself. Plus its not really a concept that leads to the kind of problematic subtext we see in Beast, especially since you are the victim in that scenario without any ambiguity.

Except for all the Remade who do still work for their makers, but they're antagonists in Deviant's corebook. I do want to do a Technocracy-style fatsplat for them, though.

Deviant's main strengths are that that the character mechanics are based around how the protagonists relate to other people (because it's a game about mutation-as-metaphor-for-isolation, so it gives mechanical weight to every ally and betrayal) and that its inspirational media is a vast untapped well. You have seen dozens of Deviant stories. Beast made its integrity equivalent its fuel stat, and is way harder to imagine other media as taking place within its structures.

Hell, even Beauty and the Beast (Ron Perlman TV version) is more of a Deviant story than a Beast one.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

neaden posted:

Shifting this thread to Deviant is an excellent idea. While I'm on the record of wanting to use it to play Snikt: The weird heroing I think it also has good potential to deal with a more introspective game, but possibly not as much as C:tD. I wonder about doing a Stranger Things style game as well, with just one Deviant (Eleven) and their new friends.

While we have you here Dave I do have a question about how the different conspiracies work in play. The intention is that each Deviant was created by a seperate weird science/occult conspiracy correct? Does that make the game feel overloaded for the lack of a better term? Like if a city has twenty deviants in it including NPCs having there be 20 different occult conspiracies running around seems excessive, even for the World of Darkness.

You can totally have everyone be from the same Conspiracy, and my intent is to make the "sample settings" chapter also the "sample conspiracies" chapter. Like, one for each city.

But we'll do the Frameworks from more recent games, too, to provide for Stranger Things-style games with one low-powered Remade in a group of normal folks.

A lot of inspirational fiction uses one "hero" character, because, well, a lot of fiction is just like that. It's like worrying that Requiem is written for multiple characters where Interview with a Vampire is focused on only Louis.

And then there's the exceptions like Orphan Black with multiple Remade-analogues versus one shared antagonist conspiracy.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

LordAbaddon posted:

Do we have evidence that the sales are dropping off? I know that I'd like for the game to fade into obscurity but outside of wishful thinking is there anything?

Only a very select club (I think about eight people; Rich, our DriveThru rep, White Wolf, maybe some others) get the sales figures. Everyone else, even Developers, are just guessing. If anyone told you they knew, for a fact, that Beast's sales were dropping off, they'd be lying.

The best you can do are the metal awards at DriveThru, judging by which Beast has sold more copies than The Pack, Secrets of the Covenants, and Dark Eras. It's also sold more than 7th Sea and Godbound.

Sourcebooks always have slower sales than corebooks, too. Werewolf did go Platinum, The Pack didn't.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Jhet posted:

Sure you can. That's the easiest Silver Ladder concept I've seen all day.

And if that fails, there's always Mammon.

Or, if the Free Council are your thing, TELM.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Soonmot posted:

Welp, I finally got a copy of Mage 2E. I guess I'm one of you fuckers now, bring on the mage chat.

The Exarchs thank you for your servitude!

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Joe Slowboat posted:

I get your point, but aren't the Free Council approximately the size of the Diamond and the Seers put together? Or at least, I seem to remember Dave Brookshaw saying something like that when asked about how he sees the setting's demographics.

No.

Okay, so - Mage Demographics.

The smallest Order is the Tremere
The smallest Pentacle Order is the Guardians
The largest Pentacle Order is the Free Council
The Seers are approximately the size of two of the middle-sized Diamond Orders put together

So it's vague whether the Free Council or the Seers are bigger, and which way around the three non-Guardian Diamonds are. Global membership doesn't particularly matter to a game, though, as local Caucus size swings wildly, but in general, the Guardians are the least numerous PC-types and the Free Council are the most, with the Seers on the "populous" end and the Tremere on the "very rare" end.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Spector29 posted:

It seems like, as far as demographics are concerned, Mages should rarely ever run into other Mages to conflict with, Seer or otherwise.

From MtAw 2nd ed:
(Regarding Toyko, a city with 13.62 million people)

"...or a majority vote from the Consilium at large.
This means getting over 100 Awakened to both congregate,
and agree on a single agenda. (This also assumes a unanimous
vote, since over 200 Awakened reside in the metropolitan area.)"

Let's assume there are 250 Diamonders. Since the Free Council is larger than any one diamond Order, 40% of that is 100. If there were an equal amount of Seers, that brings the Mage total to 600. Adding some Selesti, Tremere and other Nameless orders we'll estimate the total to be 675 since the Free Council is supposed to be the largest of any Nameless Order.

That makes Mages 0.00004955947% of the population, with that estimate. Keeping that number, there are:

192 Awakened in LA.
417 Awakened in NYC.
26 Awakened in Tuscon Arizona.

That seems a bit low to me, but it that roughly how it is (or should be) in the World of Darkness?

I have no interest in giving a percentage rate of the population. It only ever makes sense for vampires (in how many the human population can support) and only then if you assume they all act as rational actors and not like, you know, vampires.

Also, mags congregate where there's long-term Mysteries to obsess over, ratios be damned.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
On Atlantis:

Mage using Atlantis as the common-consensus name for the Time Before has less to do with Plato (although it does, inevitably, have something to do with Plato in a gnostic game) and more to do with Blavatsky and all the other bonkers 19th-century occultists who wrote reams about root races, vimyas, and the secret magical history of the world.

This is a gameline that has Rmohals in it, is what I'm saying.

That kind of thing was shied away from in Ascension apart from the gonzoer aspects of the Sons of Ether and Order of Hermes, so many fans whose only introduction to occult ramblings was... well... Mage: The Ascension saw it and thought "Disney movie!" where the designers, especially Bill Bridges (my predecessor, and I count myself extremely lucky to be following in the shoes of someone as good as Bill "Fading Suns" Bridges) were thinking "Leadbeater!"

Problem was that Mage had a bumpy start, originally being much more like Ascension before the nWoD really started pulling away from cWoD concepts, and the Atlantean backstory was supplied late on. It wouldn't have been nearly as in-your-face in the corebook if it'd been in the setting from the start rather than leavened in late in the game.

Secrets of the Ruined Temple, where Ken Hite goes nuts for a chapter, was very early in Mage's gameline.

But like the Orders, the good thing about a second edition corebook is that you can give setting elements the prominence they're due, knowing how important they turned out to be for the gameline. So away to the Appendices with it!

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Ferrinus posted:

David Hill developed Changeling 2E and also wrote or at least collaborated on a bunch of combat rules that I hate.

Yes, because that's an appropriate response to someone getting death threats. "I hate the rules you wrote".

Keep it classy, Ferrinus.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Axelgear posted:

Man, what the hell.

Is this in response to Zak or something else? Mr. Hill's Twitter mentions a pedophile rapist editing an oWoD book, and I'm not sure if that's the source or just fuel on the fire.

Dark Destiny. Originally edited by Ed Kramer, aka the Kid-fiddler of Dragon*Con.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Desiden posted:

Wait, is Ed Kramer doing something new for the WoD, or is this in reference to that trilogy he edited back in the 90s?

Also, how the gently caress is he not in jail for, like, ever, at this point? A cursory look says the gently caress's been convicted on multiple charges and broke bond and parole restrictions when he was out.

They reprinted DD1 last year, with a couple extra stories in it.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Tiny Deer posted:

I'm out. I'm sorry, OPP, you do good work and I'd like to support you, but if there's even a chance one penny of my money will go to paying the poo poo heads who backed that decision...I'm not comfortable with that.

Onyx Path game lines and White Wolf: A spotter's guide.

World of Darkness games, Chronicles of Darkness games, Exalted: Licensed from WW, books have to be approved by them.
Scarred Lands: shared IP with Nocturnal. Nothing to do with White Wolf
Cavaliers of Mars: owned by Rose Bailey, nowt to do with White Wolf
Pugmire: owned by Pugsteady (Eddy's company), nowt to do with White Wolf

Scion and Trinity: owned by Onyx Path. Definitely nothing to do with White Wolf.

I don't know why forum threads are being deleted, but I'll ask. There's limits on what I can say on an open forum, but the prevailing mood among WoD and CofD Devs is not good right now.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is Deviant a WW thing via CoD licensing?

Yes.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
It's not that lobotomising a mage wouldn't stop them from deliberately casting spells - it likely would.

It's that it would also drive them Mad, so you'd end up with uncontrollable magical effects going off around them.

Sometimes, though, a badly-written Tactic is just a badly-written tactic.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRNhDwqgq8

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

bewilderment posted:

Don't skip Soul Cages - it's where some bits of Mage 2e were playtested and since it's not following the Reign of the Exarchs published campaign it's more free to do its own wild and wacky thing. The Man Comes Around (unless things have changed since last I checked) is still DaveB's ongoing campaign, but he hasn't updated the AP thread in a long while.

So, the chronology actually goes something like

Broken Diamond - I am a fan with too much time on my hands
Soul Cage - I am a writer. Soul Cage's last few sessions were when Malcolm and I were working out Imperial Mysteries
The Man Comes Around - I am Mage Developer, and the game contains the playtests for both the God-Machine Chronicles and Awakening 2e. Which is also why I no longer have time to do the thread.

TMCA is still my ongoing chronicle, and it's still my playtesting testbed.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Brother Entropy posted:

isn't the arcadia presented in mage different from the changeling arcadia? (might be wrong, my mage knowledge is hella limited)

Yeah. The Acanthus Supernal world is not the place the Gentry are from and changelings escaped from.

The closest thing in Mage to one of the Gentry, a being of pure narrative that's technically both an entity and the world that entity lives in, is an archmage.

Mage Arcadia's "thorns" are Donnie Darko / Hyperiorn-like shining, silvery cracks representing branching timelines. Changeling Arcadia's thorns look like a Sleeping Beauty hedge. Much more literal.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Mage 2E book has a sidebar answering that question, and the answer is "we don't know if they're the same, or connected, or whatever; it's up to your GM."

It doesn't. It has one that says "don't get hung up on duplicated names. Mages are used to that kind of poo poo".

The two Arcadias are not connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Imperial Mysteries pg. 64 kind of gives the lie to the idea that they're not connected at all, it's just complicated.

Yeah, I know. I wrote that. And then I took over as line Developer, and saw changeling crossover as an acceptable sacrifice for building up what the Supernal World is in the second edition.

Imperial Mysteries has quite a lot of things in it that aren't quite right any more - Emanation Realms were introduced in it and then changed somewhat for the 2e corebook, Greater Abyssal Entities got renamed as Annunaki in the very next book, the rules for Sariras, Astras, and suchlike are going to be in Signs of Sorcery and aren't quite the same. It was a metaphysics-heavy book that came out a few years before we gave the metaphysics of Mage a spring-cleaning.

For a while there in the last few years, I used to introduce myself on writer's email lists for projects as "the guy who'll tell you to delete that Mage crossover reference".

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 3, 2017