Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My main thought about Chicago by Night (v5) is that I mentioned at the time that the vampire drag queen was possibly super-problematic and they agreed to take a look at it, but in the end changed absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Someone made a statement about how Mage Revised exploded its own setting and how people reacted to that, which I think also applies to V5. They said it was like going into an apartment building and shooting every dog that was there, and also giving everybody a new puppy. The people who had zero dogs will say "Hey, thanks for the free puppy!" The people whose dog you just shot will not consider the new puppy sufficient recompense no matter how good the new puppy is.

There is no way to make a replacement puppy that will please the people whose perfectly-good original puppy you blew up to make room for the new model.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, you could write metaplot that doesn't rapidly swing game elements that people are using in and out of canon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Just want to point out that easily a hundred thousand words in this thread have been spilled over Beast, a reprehensible game no one has or will or should play, and absolutely no one is talking about Mummy, a game no one played but is fun and funny and interesting

Well, it's moderately unplayable.

That said, it's definitely full of great writing, great themes, and I have high hopes for the second edition.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Are you referring to mummy or beast?

Mummy.

Mummy has a strong premise, and it's super-ambitious, but the dev was too busy making intense eyes at women to exercise any control over whether any of the ideas made any sense. The book is actively deceptive about how it's meant to be played, because the player section has everybody making their own mummy, but this is essentially impossible and the Frameworks don't make it so. It really wants to be some kind of story-game troupe-play My Life With Master thing where you take turns playing the mummy and her cultists.

Also, it can't be consistent about important setting elements like "mummies can't make artifacts" because huge sections of the corebook were obviously written by people who thought mummies can make artifacts. And if they can't make artifacts, what purpose do the Guilds even serve? How do mummies continue to maintain these complex social structures when they're mostly amnesiac and spend 99% of history as rotting corpses? And if you elide those difficulties to make the social structure possible, why even have them in the first place?

Also, Book of the Deceived apparently won writing awards, and I have no idea how because the whole thing is word salad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mummy also has issues with the fact that it only really has one story in it, which is The Story Of How I Stopped Being A Mummy And Gave Up Most Of My Powers In Exchange For Freedom, and is not really interested in telling anything else.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Which is funny as that's the same story Promethean has, but Promethean does it a lot better.

The thing is that Promethean is honest about this and you build your PC with a Pilgrimage in mind, but Mummy is deceptive and springs "whoops, being a mummy is for losers" on you later.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's more "developer was completely uninterested in killing the project's darlings so that there are a bunch of ideas that should have been cut because they don't work, and also he was a sex pest who gave the official dumbest apology for sexual harassment ever so people will never not mention that."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Isn't Embracing the dead a Mekhet-only thing?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Metapod posted:

What kind of campaign are you playing that getting caught killing someone in public is a minor breach?

I'm pretty sure the official books are just chock-full of vampire murders being put down to "gang warfare; they must have been on the PCPs."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Thesis: the Verbena should be tossed out and replaced with a new 'witch' faction that makes it easier to play as Granny Weatherwax.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

yeah the Ventrue Primogen being like 'actually Ventrue are not republicans' is loving hilariously dumb

I mean, I can absolutely believe that a Ventrue would say "no, of course we don't support short-term gain because we're wise, long-term thinkers who are definitely not slaves to our hunger."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Quick question: Do any print copies of Dragons of the East exist that don't have the weird page alignment issue?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a Requiem Nosferatu clan book?

I'm about to play my first one and want all the delicious lore.

There are five Requiem Clanbooks and they are excellent.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

My daily check of DTRPG for updates has just alerted me that nearly every White Wolf scanned book in my library has been updated with an OEF file.

This is not a drill.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Will this finally be the drama that breaks up the Metapod/Oberst boy band?

It's more likely they realized their schtick was getting old and staged a fake fight to trick people into think they aren't the same guy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Reckoning wasn't all-in on "just kill them all and let Caine sort them out." It had nine different Creeds based on different approaches to the hunt, which varied from "kill all monsters" to "save all monsters" to "well, I'll just decide for myself who needs killing."

The main problem was that they just kind of threw all that stuff into a box and didn't tell you anything IC, so it was hard to figure out what to do with it. Like, the mages hunters were dealing with were clearly meant to be the same mages who show up in Ascension, but hunters aren't really allowed to get the down-low on the Ascension War, because if they did they'd basically be assimilated into Mage, so... they're stuck permanently having no idea what's going on. The same goes for their interactions with every other gameline.

Also the Hunter books often had extremely good writing, but they tended to be a bit repetitive in turns of "hunter tries to fight evil, hunter succeeds a bit, hunter gets their nose pushed in because they have no idea what they're dealing with."

The THEY LIVE portion of Reckoning was pretty tight and well-conceived, but the part where they actually junction into the greater World of Darkness sort of trailed off into ?????.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Incidentally, I mentioned this earlier but I think it kind of fell under the radar, they just updated a huge selection of the old World of Darkness PDFs on DriveThru, so that a bunch of crappy scans got turned into nice original PDFs, including all of Reckoning (and a huge swathe of Mage and Changeling). So, if you want to check it out, you're now much less likely to get a headache.

Seriously, there should be a lot more fuss about being able to get a decent copy of The Book of Worlds, also known as "the book that was so good it made people hate Revised for blowing it up", not to mention stuff like Digital Web 2.0, Dragons of the East, and the actual corebook for the first edition of Masquerade.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They just updated Masquerade Revised from scan to original electronic files last week, so you can be pretty confident that it's going to get POD in the near future. Same for all of Reckoning.

They mentioned a while back that it's now possible to fix the issue but I'm not sure yet if it's going to happen (because they'd have to reproof their entire catalog). I hope this means it's happening (since they also updated a bunch of old files), because I'd really like to be able to PoD stuff like Mage Revised, and the full bleed hurts that a lot more than it does, say, Vampire.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

On consideration I think the main problem with Reckoning is that Imbued get the worst of both worlds. They’re sufficiently supernatural to make their claim to be “normal” or “human” and their agenda to “inherit the earth” into obvious bullshit, but they’re also sufficiently mundane that all their powers suck.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

Are the edges that bad? I haven't gotten that far to see what they can actually do.

I think some of them are actually worse than not using a magical power at all?

Generally speaking the basic hunter template makes you extremely resistant to supernatural mind control, but their combat prowess is incredibly weak even if they specialize in it.

They also have powers that go from one dot to five dots in the corebook, but it's literally impossible to buy the five-dot powers. They actually put powers you couldn't buy in the corebook, on purpose. It only became possible to buy them towards the end of the line, and you have to become an NPC to do so.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so I got some confirmation from DriveThru about the new PDFs:

1) These are the PDFs they got from Paradox.
2) There aren't going to be any more.
3) They didn't send any PoD files, so these books won't go PoD.
4) There are no plans to go back to any of the existing books and fix the full-bleed issue.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, you can just wander in with Spirit + Entropy.

It's not really advised because you'll attract the intense interest of everything for miles and there are things out there you probably can't handle, but being in the Dark Umbra isn't inherently lethal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

Isn't the 6th great maelstrom partially caused by a Mage loving around in the labyrinth with a magic nuke (along with the spirit nuke lol)

Yeah, I think it's like three things exploding at once, one of them being a spirit nuke, along side a ghost nuke destroying the vampire ghost city of Enoch, and the death of the Ravnos antediluvian happening simultaneously.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

CNN hasn't officially released yet no. I know it takes time to write and edit a book but it seems like the old WW had these things cranking out much faster than they are now.

Old WW had full-time employees; OPP is dependent on freelancers who make way, way less than a living wage.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

Right I forgot OPP is writing the English language books now. Was there another group doing English V5 books besides OPP? I know I read that "WW isn't writing any more books lol, here's all the other people writing books for us" email ages ago and it had so many different companies listed for the various regions I'm probably mixing something up.

Although I know Modipheous is publishing stuff?

The V5 publishing side of things is super confusing.

Basically anybody can get the license to publish a book by asking, OPP and Modiphius are companies who do. It's not exclusive as far as I know.

Have Modiphius announced any books that they have planned? I know OPP have several somewhere in the process of happening.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Desiden posted:

More generally, RPGs seem to be moving away from the vast supplement bloat of the past. Swedrac and his edgelord pals had a hard on to get it restarted, despite WW formers pointing out how the supplement treadmill by the end wasn't working for profitability. I'm guessing Modiphius is savvy enough to not try to poo poo out 5 vamp books a month in 2019.

I mean, I'm not sure these companies are capable of doing the supplement treadmill. By all accounts Onyx Path is producing as many supplements as it can.

RPGs are just too complicated for people working for beer money in their spare time to turn out five books a year.

They probably don't want to produce like they did in the 90s, but it would be nice if there were around one book a year in each line.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 25, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, god.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Maybe split White Wolf properties (World of Darkness, Chronicles of Darkness) and Onyx Path properties (Scion, Trinity, the one with the lake monsters) into two threads? That might be a bit hard on OPP's games, though, so maybe not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I honestly don't think they did it on purpose; they just don't realize that being self-consciously "edgy" gets totally different results in 2019.

It's like, you drop your net into the water in a specific place, and you get the kind of fish that live there. But if you wait twenty years and come back, the environment will have changed, the currents will have changed, and doing the same thing will get you a different kind of fish.

Paradox Wolf got themselves into trouble because they refused to accept that doing what White Wolf did in the 90s will, if done today, net you a fresh catch of Nazis.

I mean, maybe it was intentional? It's hard to say, because sufficiently advanced stupidity can't be distinguished from malice. But I could easily believe they started out doing it by accident, although if they don't alter course in a hurry they're going to end up being infiltrated by the Nazis and worn as a skin suit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think people are going to observe a rule that throws the most popular WoD property out of the WoD thread. "It's all poisoned" isn't anything like a consensus.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, you barely even have to ban V5 chat; just ban Metapod and there won't be any more V5 chat until he socks again or Dracula manages to start a war with Ukraine. People don't really have much to say about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kurieg posted:

And the Chechnyan/Russian governments were arresting people only tangentially related to the events and threatening their lives/livelihoods unless they named names, trying to find the actual author.

Did we ever get credible reports of that? The only ones I ever heard were from that one Rein-Hagen stan who was eager to come up with reasons why we should definitely stop talking about it forever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That doesn’t really mention the stuff about the Russian government hunting the authors down. Does anybody speak enough Russian to explain what the thing in Ettin’s tweet says?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Desiden posted:

Is Ettin's the one posted a few above? If so, its the minister of external relations (and a bunch of other titles) giving a press conference to the National News Service asking the localization team to help them identify who wrote the section about Chechnya. He claims Paradox's removal of the section and dissolution of White Wolf was "insufficient", and claims its their civic duty to help him.

Not sure what Studio 101's reply was, the article doesn't say.

Okay, that sounds a lot closer to legit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Maybe a list of some of the best books for each game line for people who want to get into them, if we can come to a sort of consensus?

I'll start with Ascension, and say:

Mage: the Ascension 2e or Revised (no point starting that argument here)
The Book of Worlds
The Book of Crafts
The Book of Mirrors
Guide to the Technocracy
Mage Storyteller's Handbook
Sons of Ether (revised)
Euthanatos (revised)
Akashic Brotherhood (revised)
NWO (revised)
Progenitors (revised)
Syndicate (revised)
Void Engineers (revised)