Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mexcillent posted:

You loving dummy. Everyone in the oWoD has two souls.

But can we go beyond two souls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like this piece of fiction is just one "Nothing personal, kid..." and a katana away from hitting a 10 on the Edge-o-meter.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, there's really no other logical way to do "Heroes" except as embryonic Beasts (or, for the weak/unlucky ones, Beast fodder).

And they should come after you when you're sated, not when you're hungry. C'mon, people.

I feel like that would be the best way to do it, really. It makes your character much more tragic in a way; they weren't good enough to resist temptation, and now they've become what they set out to destroy and now it's up to them to either manage their curse or dive into it. It'd also lessen the whole "hurr this is a game for otherkin durr" poo poo that you're gonna hear from people if Beasts aren't born but made.

Also, I think Heroes should be less "Arrogant douchebag jock that wants to beat me up for being different" and more "The best suited person to kill you nearby". Like, a methodical serial killer Beast might inspire the cool and calculated detective that's just as clever as he is to take a special interest in the case, or the stealthy Beast that always sticks to the shadows will come up against a hunter with eagles eyes and keen ears that wants to bag the best game of her career.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Zarick posted:

The real good way to do Beast I guess would be to make it the struggle between the Arisen and the Dragon from Dragon's Dogma.

I'm still extremely upset that the new Dragon's Dogma is gonna be a Japan-only F2P MMO.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I get that you Onyx Path guys really hate internet trolls or whatever, but I'm not exactly playing this poo poo to beat up some straw-men of fat people who get mad about boobs or their lack thereof in video games.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like this Lair and Nightmare stuff. Seems a bit OP but it's fine. If you guys rewrite the really cringey fluff surrounding Heroes and Beasts, you might have a good game on your hands.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The Super Resources makes sense if you're a dragon-type hoarder who has been amassing a fortune from everything.

As for the whole Heroes thing, if you want to make them bad guys or jerks or whatever, that's your call. I think that the thing I posted about Heroes being rivals that have the skills to take you down is a better idea, but it's up to you guys if you think "internet trolls with magic" is a better idea. In any case, I'd strongly advise against picking the scab that is Gamergate. Just let it rest and remove that joke about the ethics thing because it'll bring nothing but unnecessary drama.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Let me tell you about my favorite fan-game, Princess: The Hopeful.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I bet that's also a lovely, watered-down Awakening, except at the same time it's a lovely, distilled Dreaming.

It's a rip-off of an anime, so you're almost right.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Enough! Just rename Beast to Hatred: The Genocide Crusading.

I got my stat sheet almost ready. What do you think?

Firearms (****)
Melee (**)
Trenchcoat (*****)
Name ( )

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

whydirt posted:

How do Demon soul bargains work? Are they just getting your soul after you die or the ability to hide in you while you live or something else? What can they offer humans to make such a deal?

When a Demon comes to collect on a Soul Pact, it doesn't take the soul so much as it devours it and steps into the resulting hole. This destroys the human or whatever being that signed it utterly, body and soul, while the Demon gets to masquerade as the being until it gets tired of that Cover. Now, this is obviously a lovely deal if the Demon collects, but a Demon doesn't exactly have to let them know exactly what happens and they can offer immense benefits for allowing this. A Demon can offer wealth, healing, fame, and more to a potential signer and give it. In game terms, this is an immediate 4 or 5 dots in a certain Merit for the signer.

EDIT: Beaten by everyone else. But to give an example of a pact: I did a game here in The Game Room, and one of my players made a Pact with a guy to steal his identity as a member of a cult for a few months, used it to infiltrate the cult, blew the Cover, and then managed to redirect the ensuing hunter Angel that came to investigate into hunting down the person who made the Pact in the first place. Fun times.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 14, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm kind of wondering where the conflict is in Beast is after you kill your Hero. You've got no moral compass like other splats, so I guess you just wander around and make humans feel bad to satiate your Hunger until another plucky moron comes to kill you. Of course, other splats also have to feed off or collect some sort of thing (Vitae, Aether, Glamour, etc.), but the difference is that those games keep those things in the background. You might describe how your vampire goes and drinks a bit of blood from a girl you met at the bar who you seduced, but it's just a stepping stone to fulfilling other goals, like using the blood you drank to turn invisible or hypnotize a guy. Whereas this is the only goal I can think of that you have asides from murdering those who want to stop you from Beasting it up.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Beasts make good NPCs right now, but I'd have no idea to make a campaign for a group of them. Maybe if it was a group with just one Beast and a bunch of dudes from another splat, it would work out.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Having a recurring goal isn't inherently bad. For a game that does it right, again, I point to Werewolf. Werewolves have the same goal every month: find something to Sacred Hunt and then loving murder it. Might be a spirit that's trespassing where it shouldn't, a Claimed up to no good, a Shartha doing Shartha poo poo, or some dude you really don't like. But what we're doing tonight, Pinky, is what we do every night - hunt.

Yeah, but that's usually pretty exciting. Fulfilling Satiety usually just involves you being a petty dickhead if you're really hungry or a regular dickhead if you're going for desserts. There's nothing like dealing with politics a la Vampire and Mage or managing your morality like Changeling. As a whole, there's not too much conflict beyond getting a snack every so often and murdering pesky Heroes.

Hell, the book doesn't even treat Heroes as too serious of a threat. One of them is literally a loving fedora-tipping nerd who wears a trench coat and says "Milady."

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 16, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember watching Serial Experiments Lain, going "what the gently caress did I just watch?" (which seems to be the most common reaction), and then buying a guide to the series mostly on the strength of it being by Lucian Soulban and Bruce Baugh. It, uh, didn't help as much as I thought it might.

You don't seem to understand.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

If these are Lain quotes they're over my head, I saw the series once in like 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PkAQcuZOw

You subconsciously ordered the quotes in the order they come in the song, too.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mexcillent posted:

I'm going to take the bold stand and say: this game is stupid and is another Geist.

:eyepop: No way.

But in all seriousness, I'll wait till they post the Kickstarter version till I start casting stones, but I didn't like what I saw.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The main conflict of the game (Beasts vs Heroes) is made trivial by the fact that the protagonists and antagonists act like internet people having a slapfight. I don't understand why this is the case. It's not compelling at all; I don't wanna roleplay an rear end in a top hat internet nerd because I already am one why would I want to be one of those when there's splat books for Draculas or cyberdemons or wizards?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Not even, though. Demons mostly fall by accident, don't they?

Depends. I think most just glitch out, but some decide that they disagree with the orders the God-Machine gave them and that causes them to fall.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

So A Beast I Am...

Doing everything I can
Holding on to what I am
Pretending I'm a superman

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm still confused by how the author of Beast expect me to hate the Heroes. The way I'm interpreting it, Heroes were just normal people who had a repressed dark side to them, and then after being tormented by the Beast, something snaps inside them and they become obsessive lunatics. That's not exactly grounds for me to unconditionally froth at the mouth and boo whenever I see a Hero. They're just poor saps who got their minds broken by a horrible nightmare monster and now the only thing they can do is try and retaliate against the Beasts. I pity them more than I do the Beasts, who seem to really enjoy what they've become.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, but the book also said that that sort of person is more likely to turn into a Hunter than a Hero, because he actually has a sympathetic reason for being who he is.

The point isn't that you could create a sympathetic hero. The point is that storytellers are specifically instructed not to. Only create monstrous Heroes that your players can hate.

I feel like they're trying too hard not to step on Hunter's toes. I mean, they're already different enough from (most) Hunters as is. They have inherent magical powers that only deal with hunting Beasts, and they don't care about anything else enough to go out of their way to hunt it. If a vampire is protecting a Beast, they'll kill it and pat themselves on the back for killing the monster's foul minion, but they're not gonna go Van Helsing on the local neighborhood Gangrel because their main enemy is Grendel, not Dracula. But the writers seem to be super afraid of this, so they go out of their way to say, "No, Heroes are bad. They are all psycho killers and Beasts have never done anything wrong."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I don't even understand why they tried to say Beasts were stand-ins for outsiders and the LGBTs and all that. Why would any of them want to have unrepentant monsters represent them? You figure something like Demon or Changeling or Promethean would suit them better, what with the themes of rebellion, escaping abuse, and finding peace with yourself that those lines have, plus the fact that you can play as a good guy in those lines instead of an abusive jerk.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

quote:

Demon: What would happen if I tore off your masks? Would anything remain?

An immensely pissed-off robot that just regained all its health & mana, topped off its power meter, and gained access to a wide arsenal of reality hacks and inbuilt weaponry? Someone didn't think this sentence through when they wrote it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
This book fails on so many loving levels that I feel legitimately concerned for the people that got it funded. Did people even read the loving PDF before they threw in money? Either answer is disappointing.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So what Ciphers have you guys come up with in Demon? I never really got to get that far during the one time I GM'd Demon, so I'm curious as to how others did it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm confused why a Beast going low Satiety doesn't actually, you know, starve it to death.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Kurieg posted:

You take 1 lethal per day you don't feed at 0 Satiety and you can't heal damage until you gain at least one point?

Oh really? Didn't find that in the section about Satiety, must've been somewhere else. My mistake.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Some decent changes to chapter 1, but not enough for my tastes. Most of the stereotypes have been changed to compliment other splats, save for Demons. They're still WoD stereotypes, so they suck, but they suck less. Fluff hasn't changed much, though. Still got the angry feminist lady who beats guys up and the petty cab driver who hates rich people, along with others.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You know, they really could have just solved many of their problems with Heroes in literally one sentence: "Good Heroes hunt Bad Beasts, while Bad Heroes hunt Good Beasts."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
:tinfoil: This is a plot by the God-Machine to generate enough essence from the embarrassment of Ashley Madison employees and users to build an angel that will build another angel that will make sure a man named Howard Smalls will win the lottery with the winning numbers of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 and then be hit by a drunk driver on his way to collect to his winnings.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
IIRC most of the scenarios in the Seattle setting book for Demon have you getting one hell of a bargaining chip over the God-Machine. My favorite was the one where you break into a vault filled with countless alternate timelines where Earth would've died off (nuclear war, meteor strikes, some dumbass installs the air scrubbers to a germ warfare labs incorrectly) contained in little bubbles, and if you break them they release whatever they had in them. So you can get into a big pissing match with the G-M, who would rather not have to rebuild a lot of its infrastructure because that's just a pain in the rear end even if it could probably do it, and maybe get a truce out of it if you agree to disarm yourself.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Typical Changeling.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Okay, the US in 1990. Which state should I set my tier 1 hunter game in? Im thinking it needs to be somewhat rural aswell as having a metropolitan. Virginia maybe? Louisiana?

Alaska. Sparsely populated, plenty of natural hazards, gets really loving dark in the winter, and contains a hidden horror that will soon run for Republican Vice-President.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Would anyone be interested in a hunter pbp game in NOLA during the early 1990s? I'm pretty new whem it comes to PbP and I'm also interestdd to see how people who know WoD deal with being a hunter.

Here's advice: never do PbP. Trust me, it isn't worth it. poo poo just falls apart really easily.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Do Roll20 instead, bro. There's no advantage to PbP asides from maybe giving people time to think out what they're gonna type, and even then that's defeated by the fact that giving people unlimited time to make a post will just increase the odds they'll drop out.

Kellsterik posted:

I just realized your Demon game was like a year and a half ago.

It was fun and I learned a few things from GMing it. Shame it ended so soon but eh :beerpal:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ask people who are interested if they can agree on a time-slot first. If they can, go Roll20. If they can't, you can try PbP. However, you gotta figure out a way to add some motivation to keep posting on a regular basis if you do PbP.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Does this mean there's a shot of us getting a new WoD RPG by Obsidian?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wanna play a game of Hunter as Fat Larry.