Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Speaking of Blood and Smoke (as I have never read a single cWoD book I barely have an idea of what is being talked about) , was anyone else taken aback by reading it the first time? The veey first thing it shows you are the Clans, and the very first clans are the Daevas, who are written in such a way (I distinctly remember the term "communion of the cock and the oval office") that I got an inkling of what you guys mean when you say "going full White Wolf".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is that blog post about Beast: the Primordial that they were talking about up yet?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh god, and the comment section of that piece of fiction is already full of praise.
I feel like a golden age is just slipping through my fingers, and all that I can do is look at it longingly as it circles down the drain.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Daeren posted:

Oh for God's sake, it's some pretty bad prose but looking at it and declaring that the golden age of elfgames is dead is putting the cart about ten miles in front of the horse, especially after Demon and how hyped everybody in here was getting for Dark Ages.

Now, when Beast comes out or has its Kickstarter and it all turns out to be wall-to-wall edgelord dreck, sure, we can start doomsaying.

I know, I know, sorry for being overdramatic. But I am worried that seeing a wall of praise in front of their opening fiction is going to encourage Onyx Path to go straight down that road with no brakes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Well, I guess I must be Edgey Mc Edgerston, because I thought it was a neat little snippet, but I've been pretty interested in Beast since the gencon announcment.

It's a power fantasy, of the sort that teenagers enjoy. This coupled with their reluctance to describe Heroes as anything more than "those jerks you have to beat up because they don't understand you" is vaguely worrying, because if Beast is meant to be aimed at that crowd exclusively it could be pretty limited in scope. There is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it's not the sort of thing a lot of people were hoping Beast would be.

It's early to make a judgement call on the whole line, but the potential for an unsatisfying product is there.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Are the same people who worked on Demon working on Beast? I would feel better if I knew that that game is in those capable hands.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It's a good sign that the writers here on SA are taking the critism so well, but I cannot help but remember that most criticism towards Heroes is mostly being shut down.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I dunno, I think the Genius fangame was pretty good at delivering a sense of powerlessness and horror, while at the same time creating an interesting setting for the whole thing to take place in. I know I am absolutely in love with the Foundations a Genius can belong to.
The way they handled the creation of mad inventions was sort of lacking and confusing, but I would call it pretty good, especially by fan splats standards.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What's not to like about Genius: The Transgression? It has a shadowy organization that secretly controlled humanity's progress for centuries! And one of their factions consists of exporers/knight errant types that used to explore jungles and now explore the space/time continuum! And the Martian Empire!

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 14, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

"Shape shifting monster that replaces people" is Demon.

Or, in certain cases, the True Fae.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, that's the thing, really. Those things are cool... in the oWoD. They don't really fit with the tone of the nWoD. Shadowy organisation that control everything go very much against the central core of the setting. A mad scientist game more in line with the nWoD would be more about playing people like the original Frankenstein or the Invisible Man: a man who, through his madness, managed to create one or two terrible inventions and use them for their own purposes. Any kind of mad scientist conspiracies would look a lot more like The Cheiron Group or the Ordo Dracul than the Technocracy.

That, to me, is the core of the nWoD: every answer only leads to more questions, no one is in charge, no matter how powerful or how much you know there will always be soemthing that will leave you completely baffled and scared, no one is safe, no one can be safe.
Really? I got the impression that the nWoD has plenty of mysterious organizations pulling the strings from the shadows. None of them control literally everything, Illuminati style, but at least a couple of Hunter conspiracies do have some measure of control in their specific field. Lemuria does rise the bar a bit but there is a precesent.

I should probably add that, according to the game's lore, Lemuria has been defeated. The community of free Geniuses defeated them at some point that I cannot recall, ending their tyranny... only to find out that there is no infrastructure, no organization and that what liytle funds were left are in the hands of the Lemurian survivors.

I need to give it another read sometime, to remind myself of why didn't they set up these things themselves.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Let me tell you about my favorite fan-game, Princess: The Hopeful.

If you read the introductory fiction of that, you would almost think that the Princesses are supposed to ve the bad guys. If only they stuck with that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Dang, Mors Rattus, those are some good write-ups you've got there.

ErichZahn posted:

It's Sailor Moon in the WoD, so oHunter, with heavy adds from oChangeling and nWerewolf.

Occasionally I read the manual for that game, and I tell myself: there is a good game in here somewhere, or at least some good ideas for one. If only I could understand where they're hiding.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I always thought it fit, since Changelings don't exactly warp reality in the course of establishing contracts, do they? They just alter fate such that whatever you bargained for tumbles into your lap. Meanwhile, demons effectively shift the whole world into a parallel timeline in which you, rather than your no-good brother, inherited grandpa's fortune.

This narrative doesn't always work for Changeling deals, I think. They can also give Merits such as Stunning Looks, and how you explain that with luck?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

At any given time, the God-Machine is coordinating probably millions if not billions of apparently aimless plots. Even with its powers, it cannot intervene directly everywhere at once, nor can its angels.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mendrian posted:

But he doesn't need to kill them, it isn't part of his hunger. He doesn't need to do that psychologically or metaphysically. Accepting his own monstrousness means accepting whatever weird occult rules govern his hunger. "I am embrace this part of myself" doesn't mean necessarily going above and beyond the call of what you need to do in order to drive the point home. He gets no additional satisfaction out of watching them die, so why would he? It sounds a lot more complicated than just getting what you need from them.

That would be sort of like a vampire overfeeding on an human until they die: you get a big power up, but it's not really worth all the trouble you have to go through as a consequence of your actions.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Kavak posted:

On the flipside, it's why Promethean is so hard to play, part of why Geist crapped out, and one of the things that's worrying me about Beast.

I am sorry, I can't quite follow the cause-effect relationships between those and the adaptability of WoD. Could you elaborate?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The image of a Beast trying to befriend with puppy-like enthusiasm all the other supernatural critters by pointing out how they are all related, only to be met with a mixture of disinterest and disdain, is reason enough to use this splat IMHO.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 22, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

The actual conflict is supposed to be something like Beasts 'Exploring the Mysteries of the World of Darkness, venturing in the Dark Corners of the world where they're more at home anyway'.

If that's the case than they did a really lovely job at advertising that, because I really didn't get that feeling.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh come on now, Changeling Beasts have had elements of sexuality since 1E, and it's not like it doesn't make sense given their archetype.

Speaking of, in the comments David said that all Seemings have blessings and curses regarding Clarity. This is something with potential, depending on how they define Clarity in 2E.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Gerund posted:

I don't like how the decision to have Seeming typify and define lock in character's internal struggle. It sacrifices the major benefit of C:tL to allow for the widest possible variety of characters. In 2e every Beast is a non-conformist anti-cage rebel.

My own thing about Clarity is that I see the game using a more brittle, glass-like structure to make the decent into madness horrifying and have impact. Long, incremental gains to reconstruct an identity with counseling or harsh, dangerous Jupiter dreams rather than just popping your magic superpower to feel better about yourself.

I don't think it necessarily sacrifices variety, but you do have to consider both Seeming and Kith to reach the result that you are aiming for for your character. Want to play an ox or bull that was forced to till the Keeper's fields until he bled or worse, and escaped by taking an hidden bite out of the Hedge that surrounded the mansion every day until it was weak enough to make a run for it? Pick a Wizened, or maybe an Elemental, and give it an ox-appropriate kith. A snake that convinced with honeyed lies one of the zookepers to keep his cage open? Fairest with reptile kith.

I don't know about the Clarity thing, though. Maybe they are trying to convey the idea that a Changeling's sanity is fragile, something that can get very well or very worse quickly; but your idea is just as valid.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Crion posted:

I don't actually recall that being a focus off the top of my head, but even if it were, it doesn't excuse a line as laughable as that one.

Edit: While I understand that there is a theoretical market of people out there who do love to play sex games with their WW/OPP products, and that because I will never game with or even really understand these people I should easily just ignore these portions of the text, it would make it all a lot easier if they weren't also embarrassingly-written.
It was not the only thing going on with Beasts, but it wqs certainly there.

Just out of curiosity, did you have a similar reaction when reading the Daeva section of Blood and Smoke? Because that is ten times as lewd as this one.

I was kind of taken aback when reading that one, but it didn't spoil the book for me; I expect the same thing will happen here.

Ferrinus posted:

Of course Satiety's mana.

It really isn't though.

For starters, Satiety is rolled to use this very power, meaning that reducing it to power up the Nightmare means making it harder to use in the future. And if it drops under a certain Satiety threshold, it becomes much weaker, meaning that there is an hard limit on how much you can abuse this.
On top of that, having high satiety means attracting Heroic attention, so having this scary power means having an additional hassle to deal with.

Also there is another set of powers, Atavisms, that are more powerful the lower your Satiety is.
I really don't get where you got that impression.

Also also we don't know how much satiety is meant to fluctuate in play so hold your
horses a little longer.
e: rereading your post, I get the impression that this Nightmare is an hard counter for single, very powerful enemies as opposed to hordes of weaker ones. I guess it could use a bit of fine tuning, but it's not too late for that. I suggest informing the OPP people at their blog, they seem to be very willing to listen.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 23, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Basically what LO said: your mild-mannered Broadbacked elephant isn't a Beast in 2e, but depending on how he achieved freedom he could be a Wizened or an Elemental.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

"Humanity has failed her, failed her when she was the most in need, and so she rejected it" is a weird sentence to see in Changeling.

Yeah, given the way the seeming is presented, I would have gone with "society has failed her" or maybe "civilization".

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Your antlers and whatnot are not going anywhere, and they are still something that the Keeper forced on you, it's just that they are represented by your kith instead of your Seeming.

You guys do know that kiths are not a subclass of seemings anymore, right? That Runnerswifts can be Beasts or Darklings or even Elementals or Ogres?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 23, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I have 0 problems with my game about a darker, more twisted version of the real world having a bunch of hedonistic, sexual factions in it. The mention of sex doesn't automatically turn the whole setting into an excuse to masturbate: it's an element, a thing that happens that can potentially attract the attention of people who would not contribute to a fun roleplaying experience, but that it would be stupid and wasteful to ignore because we have to make sure they don't catch wind of it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Crion posted:

Sex comes up in Changeling 1E. Not that often, but it comes up. Sex comes up in that Thyrsus preview, too. No one laughing at that line from the Beasts preview is saying "don't mention sex in these games." They're saying "do it well." That's a bad line, and on the whole, it's a bad, leering write-up.

The line is pretty out there, no doubt, but the write-up doesn't seem bad to me. It continues the trend of trying to convince you that the seeming/clan/whatever they are talking about is great and wonderful and make you want to play it, but that seems to make sense to me, especially if they are trying to portray Changelings less like victims and more like survivors.

If anything the tone I noticed both here and in Blood and Smoke seems... maybe vaguely childish, like they are trying to convince the teenager that isn't really sold on this whole roleplaying thing that these characters are super cool and he totally should want in on this action. It's not the approach I would have picked, but hey, maybe it works.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What was Nightmare like in 2e? Did it just scare the victim with no special effects?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I am going to get a certain amount of mileage out of 2E Changeling simply by mix-and-matching Seemings and Kiths and coming up with character ideas.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

These are first drafts, I would imagine they willput something more respectable in the final version. The lore snippets in Blood and Smoke were over the top but not terrible, from what I remember.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 29, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Esser-Z posted:

Nah, Vampires just suck.

I have heard this joke done in an hundred different manners and I still find it funny.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah, that sounds like the kind of thing that positively screams "abuse the hell out of me!" because if blasting a guy with fire is Forces+Gnosis-Defense but setting his clothes on fire is just Forces+Gnosis, why in the hell would anyone do the former?
Because the latter doesn't work on naked people.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

We haven't even seen the complete rules for Clarity yet; we can make a couple of educated guesses, but we're still missing a bunch of details.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Crion posted:

I'm looking forward to a seeming preview for some concept besides AAA Video Game Protagonist, myself.

Wait for the Wizened then, or maybe the Fairest with a little luck.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

OPP published more Beast stuff, this time regarding Lairs:
http://theonyxpath.com/beastlairs/

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I'd like to say that a well made, more thoughtful book would outsell what the CtD fans are willing to pay for the anniversary version, but the truth is that I am not sure how many of them there are out there, nor how much are they willing to pay for this game.

On an unrelated note, what does AUG stand for?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 17, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Awkward, Ugly, and Gross. It's a PYF thread.

Oh yeah, I saw that thread but didn't make the connection.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

We are in the middle of an edition shift, that might have something to do with it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I'd like it, too. Problem is, I am not comfortable enough with the system to GM it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This sort of writing strongly reminds me of Changeling 1E: very evocative, not at all gung-ho and "badass" like 2E.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 26, 2015