Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh good, I just found a passage talking about how it feels really good to build a new Lair room out of an area where someone else has had a mental breakdown in front of you.

This more excerpts I see, the more the game looks like they tried to extrapolate something from the Night Horrors line of books into a playable splat.

I don't really want to play as any of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Loomer posted:

Full of active/semi-active methuselahs that like to take over the minds of everyone in the city to play out their tired melodramatic war against each other. That and a legion of 1E fanboys who insist that 1E was like, soooo deep man.

There was also that big war with Garou that resulted in the death of the sitting Prince.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
It looks like I may be running a Vampire: The Requiem 2nd Edition game. Are there any quirks I should be aware of? Any quality of life system hacks?

This will is also my first actual play experience with a post-GMC CoD game so any more general tips/words of warning are welcome too.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, I'd urge you to give a second chance to Requiem. It has a very different flavour and I think if you give it a chance to be a different game about vampires you might like it.

Try the supplements, it's where the gameline starts to shine. Way back when the game first came out, I liked it well enough as a toolbox when the core first came out, but fell in love when I read my first supplement (IIRC, it was Rites of the Dragon, the book telling Dracula's story of the foundation of the Ordo Dracul).

This is almost exactly what I tell everyone. Requiem 1st ed really didn't do enough to set itself apart from Masquerade and fell flat in a lot of people's eyes. It just got better and better with each supplement.

I've converted a few staunch oWoD players to give it a more in depth look and one has begun to proselytize others themselves.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Dawkins aka Gentleman Gamer is not the same level of awful that Ericsson and others are. I'm fairly certain he has a dumb edgy streak to him, and I'm not sure he 100% understands why people were upset over V5's hot button issues, but he at least was shocked like the rest of us when Zak was hired.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

You mean you didn't like the German blood purists being lead by capital G God?

In a world where shonen anime usually starts off fun and eventually crawls up its own rear end, Bleach in the worst offender.

I'm deathly afraid My Hero Academia is going to reveal that Sumerian Deities are the source of all Quirks.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, NuWolf is definitely worried at this point.

“This appendix did not exist prior to Polygon’s playtest of Vampire, one that included a simulated sexual assault. At the time, White Wolf producer Jason Carl said that this information was slated for a separate, paid release. Now it appears that at least some of that content is being included in the core rulebook.”

I want to scream.

I mean, I suppose due credit for wanting to do better, but come the gently caress on.

Also, I find it amusing that we’re seeing Jason Carl everywhere while Ericsson seems to now be hidden away.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
White Wolf is handing off to Onyx Path to publish Chicago by Night for 5th ed.

http://theonyxpath.com/onyx-path-publishing-to-publish-chicago-by-night-vampire-the-masquerade-5th-edition/

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

Well, if it helps to qualify my statement. I love him for his work on Werewolf specifically. He seemed to be the only artist who figured out what Crinos form was supposed to look like.

Ron Spencer was instrumental in how my love for Werewolf developed. I was 12 when I first discovered WoD via the Rage CCG and let me tell you, 12 year old boys love Ron Spencer.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Loomer posted:

We also got, in the same cleanup, the awesome intro comic of some extremely angry American Get patriotically fighting Nazi get during WW2.

This was the 1st Edition Get Tribebook.

Yes, even 1st Edition had enough sense to unambiguously portray Nazis as evil.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

I think the moral of werewolf is "Rage was a mistake".

To riff off of this, I’ve always disliked the Rage/Frenzy Rules because it always felt very binary when it came to the chance of frenzy. It’s almost impossible to Frenzy if you don’t have 4 Perm Rage, but extremely likely if you do.

It’s definitely one area where I think the game would benefit from the 5th ed design by giving them Rage Dice, similar to V5’s Hunger Dice, to give that sense of a growthing threat of Frenzy. It’ll be interesting to see how they do it, especially in regards to keeping the theme of the Auspice’s varying levels of Rage.

It also raises the issue of how they’ll handle Gnosis as a completely separate resource.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Doesn’t the Boston book also have the Prince of 100,000 Leaves? I always liked that.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Desiden posted:

Over on Joseph Carriker's public facebook, MR*H has commented on it, though its kind of vague and dodgy as to whether he's admitting to writing it or not.

Which of course entirely misses the point of "why the gently caress are you doing this in the first place?". Also, apparently Carriker called Dracula out over this bullshit, and got some mealy mouth reply. Hasn't posted it yet as Drac's gotta clear public commentary with his boss. So maybe they did actually wise up on one thing.

MHR posted again after someone pulled out Paizo and other companies as examples of good companies.

quote:

Hasbro? Paizo? Monte Cook? With all due respect, they are not writing a game about the abject evil and immorality of human nature, and the ways in which power corrupts even the most tender of mortal hearts.

Their work certainly does not revolve around how the will is weak in the face of a monsterous thirst for blood and supremacy; how fragile is our moral center and humanity in the face of magnificent temptation; and most importantly how our own fascination with this miasmic process reveals how our OWN foibles and existential weakness mirrors that of the character we play.

Which has been the theme of Vampire since the day it was conceived, and I should know. Therefore if the game was indeed tainted it was so from day one, back when you still loved it, it's my fault.

Yet I believe with all my heart that this theme in particular is what elevates V:tM above most other Vampire creations.

So because THEIR work isn't about playing real monsters, of course they don't struggle in the same ways with a culture that no longer is fully comfortable with a long and close up look at fictional evil and of course they don't get called out in the same way for mistakes.

Ah yes, the tasty personal horror of Vampire. What beast have I become? When will I finally lose control and take a life? Will tonight be the night I institute a pogrom against homosexuals?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Krysmphoenix posted:

So I'm in communication with the VP taking over White Wolf for the transition. Does anyone know/remember what pages had the really lovely anti-LGBT stuff in Changing Ways? (Werewolf) He's gonna get his hands on the book and read through it.

The infamous Gender sidebar is on page 19.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Rand Brittain posted:

I presume you'd want somebody who can tell you what the text was like before Paradox White Wolf made changes other than by hearsay. Presumably there's more than one person who can do this but I'm not sure how many of them would be willing to tell you.

The developer posts here occasionally and he was the one to confirm in a previous TG Industry thread that it was White Wolf that added poo poo like the gender sidebar. If he wants to discuss it then that’s up to him.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Magnusth posted:

i think holden posted it publicly on his twitter?

Info that he got via the TG Industry thread.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

I have it and i've read it, but it was a while ago (and I can't remember the name of the book so I can't tell if I have the PDF on this computer or not)

IIRC it was Haight's lieutennant who was trying to ressurect him, and he succeeds (after a fashion) by grafting a piece of Haight's skin onto himself and becoming a reincarnation of Haight that's 100% Werewolf with no other poo poo mixed in, But that's only if the party doesn't stop him before he pulls off his ritual (and I think that the party is MEANT to stop him, in bold defiance of everything else Haight related)

There was also the subplot of Tick trying to usurp Minotaur as the totem of the Skindancers.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I still remember being just plain confused by what Beast’s were the first time I read the initial Kickstarter document. The build up for Beast was invoking Dragons and Leviathan and just really BIG poo poo. Then when I look at the text it tells me that you aren’t actually that, you just have it’s soul.

Huh...well that’s boring.

Beast completely failed to grab me even before the more troubling reading of the text became apparent.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Ferrinus posted:

You weren’t playing as a kraken - you were playing as a kraken’s official twitter account.

I think this is the most succinct and accurate description of my initial response to the game.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Tias posted:

Can someone sum up easily what Martin Swedracula did w/r/t Vampire 5th gen that sucked (no pun intended)? My girlfriend has known him for 20 years it turns out, and while she thinks he's a lovely and possibly rapey LARPer, she hasn't heard in her RPG circle what's so bad about V5.

I haven't read it, so thought I'd turn to the trusty memory of goons.txt

He’s listed as “Lead Storyteller” for the current iteration of White Wolf. I don’t think anyone has a 100% idea of who is responsible for what, but during his tenure as Lead Storyteller a number of troubling things have happened including; hiring Zak to write their Choose Your Own Adventure mobile game, a pedophile sample character in playtest documents, White Wolf dictating edits to a OPP written Werewolf sourcebook to includ transphobic poo poo, careless Nazi dogwhitles in the V5 text, a really gross take on the persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya, and other things that I’m sure I’ve forgotten.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 15, 2019

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps, I think the only canon folks to crossover to the HtR games are God45 and Carpenter.

And they’re fairly different from the tabletop counterparts.

The whole game is at odds with the table top. If the tabletop Judge got the same basic edge that the video game one got then the World of Darkness would be muuuuuch different.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've been trying to find any info about Earthblood at E3, and there's not much. There's a wikipedia article up now though,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf:_The_Apocalypse_%E2%80%93_Earthblood

I found this.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/06/12/werewolf-the-apocalypse-earthblood-is-an-arcade-brawler-with-a-twist-e3-2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Angry Lobster posted:

Yeah, it's pretty neat.

Speaking about VTES, last week I learned how to play the game. Great system, the table dynamics it generates are amazing, but getting four or five nerds to sit in the same table for two hours is a pain the rear end.

VTES is what MTG: Commander wishes it could be.