Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Gerund posted:

I'm going to be absolutely tickled if we get a blended post-Gehenna Req/Mas vampire smashup that tries to serve both lines.

But... that would be terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

owod will never die

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

You see that guy over there? He works 60 hours a week to feed, clothe, and shelter his family. What an rear end in a top hat!

Loomer posted:

And how dare that lawyer work twice as many hours as he legally should defending indigent clients with little to no pay and less appreciation, fighting for the dream of justice, using only his ability to sway a small crowd with the passion of his words and the sharpness of his mind! What a loving boring banal dick!

Mors Rattus posted:

However, due to a joint Technocrat/Pentex team exploring the ocean floor and doing science enthusiastically - and, in fact, the Technocrat part of the team was just generally nice guy Void Engineers who loved oceanography, marine biology and learning new things - the merfolk were all dying out of banality. Because a secret ultratech undersea research base is the most Banal thing ever. They were genociding the merfolk without ever knowing the merfolk existed.

This part is at least consistent across the oWOD, and I can understand what a sane person might be trying to get at when writing like that. People can perpetuate oppressive systems without meaning harm to anyone; e.g. the professional skeptic who warns people away from faith healer con artists, who nonetheless contributes to the controlled Consensus and indirectly supports the excesses of the Syndicate or something. "Men" or "the rich" can be oppressive classes without making claims on any specific man or rich person because you don't model society as a collection of isolated individuals any more than you model a human as a collection of isolated molecules. The specific metaphor for Sealab 2020 there would be like an unsterilized Martian probe wiping out native life before it's ever even discovered, or (more fraught) a naval explorer accidentally introducing foreign diseases.

So the oWOD is saying "your life and values are under threat by people who are largely innocent so you cannot solve the problem by killing all the orcs or whatever". Fine, great, a bit well-trodden now but maybe more revolutionary back in the 90s. What makes it all bizarre and stupid is how vacuous the other side is. What are they fighting for, or against? It can't just be "wonder and delight" because those are feelings, and emergent political systems don't have feelings. Individual wonder and delight doesn't seem to matter because as Mors Rattus points out, the Void Engineers have it and they kill all the merfolk by accident anyway. Are "any organized groups where you don't know everyone personally" the enemy, then? Is this an elaborate reference to Vonnegut's Bokononism? Am I taking crazy pills???

Who are the merfolk, and changelings in general, supposed to be? People with weird sex opinions? Artists and creatives strangled by encroaching commodity fetishism? The gays? Probably not, but what the hell? Nobody has any coherent politics except for maybe the werewolves.

Since you don't have any coherent politics, and you're writing in the best economy since World War 2, but you still want to drat the Man in some way, what you end up with is hilarious stuff like this:

The oMage book I took that from has a long intro sequence where a Virtual Adept and a Hollow One go around meeting representatives of the other Traditions, and the Virtual Adept keeps saying that he doesn't believe in politics or groups or taking a side, you know, and all the other Tradition guys are like "yes, exactly, it's good to not have politics or believe in things, not like us, we are stupid to have beliefs". I mean, you can really see why these dopes lost the war.

Dammit Who? fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 11, 2015

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Cabbit posted:

To be fair to the oWoD, I'm pretty sure this is also true for the nWoD.

Eh. You'd probably see a downtick in violent crime statistics, but that'd be the result of all the mages and vampires and what have you no longer murking each other and ending up in the mundane record books.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Luminous Obscurity posted:

:siren:NWOD is now Chronicles of Darkness:siren:

Also the advance .pdf for the NWOD 2E COD Corebook just went up on Drivethru.

Well, this looks like pretty much the best case scenario.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

cptn_dr posted:

Oh, are we doing WoD songs?
This is the most nChangeling song I know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbWhazbf3-Q

Anais Mitchell's Hadestown album is pretty nChangeling. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgiK07Py9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-JJKI6lMlE

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Josef bugman posted:

That was an actual thing back in the 90's? poo poo the bed.

It's weird to watch early X-Files episodes and see people all het up about 'eco-terrorists'. The 90s were a strange time.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Vitamin P posted:

I don't have my copy of the book to hand so thought I'd ask, and obviously this would vary based on the game, but how omniscient is the God Machine? And how does it actually get its information?

A thousand mages could argue themselves to death over whether the God-Machine actually "knows" anything at all, whether it can be said to have thoughts and wants etc.

quote:

Like, it needs three senile widowers with type O blood to die on a certain bridge on a certain night, how does it find them? Do cats tell it?

Biomechanical fleas that ride the backs of cats, sure.

quote:

Does it listen to phone calls?

Yes.

quote:

Psychic angels constantly gliding over cities remembering everything they hear?

Probably not. Angels are apparently expensive and difficult to produce.

quote:

Does it just Know?

No. That's the one constant, imo- the God-Machine is an extremely physical entity. It exists in *things*, even if those things are in the Shadow or a pocket universe between floors in a hospital elevator. Any action it takes or any senses it possesses all have gears and wires and living agents and Rube Goldberg whatsits that at least in theory can be perceived and interfered with by other people, or even other parts of the God-Machine.

quote:

And it obviously makes the effort to act in secret, but does that mean humanity could kill it if they knew? Or would they just be an immense inconvenience, and the plans flow smoother if they are in the dark? I realise there's no set answer to this stuff but am interested in peoples take on it.

If humanity made a concerted effort to destroy the God-Machine, it would probably reconfigure itself such that the Anti-God-Machine Organization became a part of its processes.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

The God-Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v5eBf2KwF8

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Vitamin P posted:

Do cats tell it?

If you know what to look for, tucked away in an alley you can find a maneki-neko statue. Pushing down its outstretched paw will cause an internal ratchet to click ahead one notch. The city's cats have learned to use this device to report things: one click for "an unseasonable migration of birds", two clicks for "ritual murder", three for "a malfunctioning angel", and so on. Once their secret is correctly reported, the statue will whisper its thanks and dispense a delicious-smelling (to cats) meat slurry made from small birds and rodents captured by reaper daemons and pulped at the city's water treatment plant, then pumped at high pressure to similar maneki-neko statues across the city.

The God-Machine's assessor functions do not assign a high degree of credibility to these statues. Observant as cats are, they know how to lie.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Pretty cool stuff. The only change I can think of offhand that I'd make is make it so Huntsmen reform after at minimum a fortnight rather than exactly a fortnight.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

I felt like minimum was the intent, if not the exact wording.

Could be. It'd be nice to have it explicit, that's all.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Kurieg posted:

I don't have access to Facebook to confirm this, but apparently MR°H just "announced" that I am zombie is a plagiarization of an older game from the seventies that he found in a Wisconsin warehouse and as penance is starting a kickstarter to get the original game published in pdf form.

Without knowing the specific context that might be a reference to this, which shows that Gygax's Chainmail, which inspired the fantasy wargaming genre up to and through Dungeons and Dragons, was itself heavily inspired by a two-pager convention game written by Leonard Patt a year earlier.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

quote:

I love the speculation and mystery surrounding future releases we saw in the 90’s, so we will definitely play with that aspect.

This guy seems like a dummy.

quote:

Too bad [nWOD] never sold for poo poo and that old players hated it. It lacked the epic scope and the punk passion of the classic WoD. Had it done even remotely as well as the classic WoD things would be very different.

[...]

Where did White Wolf “get it wrong” last time around? What are your least favorite parts of the IP?

Anything that smells of Fantasy. The attempt to create a deep mythology by linking the setting to Exalted was the worst choice ever. That was the last step in WoD’d death-march from being an artistic horror-IP to full on immature, escapist Urban Fantasy. The inability to deal with and integrate real-world events in the setting. If you can write about the Holocaust, you can write about 9/11. Fear is the death of creativity. The game was always best in the hands of storytellers who dared to place the story close to reality, often in their own cities, featuring real places and people.

Also kind of an rear end in a top hat???

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

alright guys werewolf is gonna be Captain Planet Chainsaw Murderers again but no escapist power fantasy got it?!?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Kavak posted:

How is it supposed to be pronounced?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZVYc2RJ1KY

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

My favorite speculative interpretation is that Tzimiskes means "red boot", because then Ioannes Tzimiskes I survived to the modern day as a TV actor, known for his work on "The Red Shoe Diaries".

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

WOD monsters worry about the masquerade or what have you being broken - but the masquerade is broken all the time, it just ends up looking like this:

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Some kind soul has transcribed Arthur Conan Doyle's 1912 short horror story The Horror of the Heights, which I recommend. In narrative objects it will probably remind you of something like Lovecraft; the sensitive eccentric and his hideous demise, the story reconstructed from a bloodstained diary, the ominously-titled manuscript ("The Joyce-Armstrong Fragment" is a hell of a grimoire name), etc. It's not a "cosmic horror" story, though- which I like, since in a World of Darkness you want horror on every scale. I especially like the way Doyle spends a lot of time painting "literally the sky" as a sort of alien, undiscovered country, writing in a time when traveling through it was the province of a small band of explorers.

I feel like this story describes a common arc for the more adventurous, dedicated kind of hunter. "Forty-three thousand feet. I shall never see earth again. They are beneath me, three of them. God help me" are the sort of last recorded words you'd see pop up often.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

mage

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

im a wizard

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Actually, Golconda is having a stable enough existence that you never have to worry about where your next blood point is coming from, nor that you might be killed by a rival or an up-and-comer. Many don't realize this.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Interesting fact! Display technology has advanced to the point that you can watch beautiful sunrises from all over the world from the comfort and security of your own saferoom. #Golconda #jointheInvictus

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Kurieg posted:

I mean, Tyranny is pretty good, and they've got their 6 stat system polished to a nice sheen. I'm not saying I'd be surprised but it would be somewhat disappointing to see them have to gnaw the storyteller system down to fit.

Tyranny has a lot of good ideas, and it's really unfortunate that (it feels like) they had to skimp on some story areas, especially in the second act.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

Just imagine if you had to learn Quenya in order to get the full effect of Lord of the Rings.

You do.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Senior Scarybagels posted:

But what about Super Mario World of Darkness?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Attorney at Funk posted:

The secret to integrating Mage cosmology in a crossover game is to remember that mages and Mage players don't actually know anything about Mage cosmology to begin with.

Not at all! It's quite simple, really.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Rubix Squid posted:

Is there a higher resolution of that madness running around the internet anywhere or am I just terrible at GIS?

If there is, let me know if you find it.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

tokenbrownguy posted:

If you wouldn't mind sharing, would you PM the rules? I'd go through your posts but you have like 15 pages in this thread!

This is the page of Ferrinus' Rulestech Warehouse that deals with basic WOD resolution systems, including Morality and Crises of Conscience.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Dark Matter, Delta Green, and 90s conspiracy-scifi in general is rad as hell, but definitely of a time that doesn't exist anymore. It's pretty weird to see something you can remember being contemporary evolve into a period piece like all those 1920s Call of Cthulhu games. It's like watching that early X-Files episode with the menacing eco-terrorist. Remember when eco-terrorists were a thing? Just barely!

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I forgot to mention the Doctor in our group doesn't know the difference between small dogs and horses.

Small dogs are sweet boys who deserve our love. Horses are the worst, despised by all right-thinking folk. Hope this helps!

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

I was just reading about an in-game story event in Elite: Dangerous being ruined by a player named Harry Potter (so the planned novelization has to awkwardly work around the unusable name), and I look forward to more massively player determined storylines in things. The Boy Wizard can and must ruin the oWOD.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ah, so that's how Tupac could put all those dots into Performance!

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

In 1980, Saddam Hussein was given the Key to the City of Detroit. Now, up to four mages must brave his monster and trap-filled tomb in order to reclaim the artifact for their Consilium.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

quote:

Zone Rouge (English: Red Zone) is a chain of non-contiguous areas throughout northeastern France that the French government isolated after the First World War. The land, which originally covered more than 1,200 square kilometres (460 sq mi), was deemed too physically and environmentally damaged by conflict for human habitation. Rather than attempt to immediately clean up the former battlefields, the land was allowed to return to nature. Restrictions within the zone rouge still exist today although the control areas have been greatly reduced.

The "zone rouge" was defined just after the war as "Completely devastated. Damage to properties: 100%. Damage to Agriculture: 100%. Impossible to clean. Human life impossible".

The area is saturated with unexploded shells (including many gas shells), grenades, and rusty ammunition. Soils were heavily polluted by lead, mercury, chlorine, arsenic, various dangerous gases, acids, and human and animal remains. The area was also littered with ammunition depots and chemical plants.

Each year dozens of tons of unexploded shells are recovered. According to the Sécurité Civile agency in charge, at the current rate no fewer than 700 more years will be needed to clean the area completely. Some experiments conducted in 2005–06 discovered up to 300 shells/10,000 m2 in the top 15 cm of soil in the worst areas.
Some areas remain off limits (for example two small pieces of land close to Ypres and Woëvre) where 99% of all plants still die, as arsenic can constitute up to 17% of some soil samples (Bausinger, Bonnaire, and Preuß, 2007).

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Personally, I would simply use my supernatural powers to prevent Stalin from poisoning Lenin.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

kaynorr posted:

If you have the impulse to salvage Beast, go track down the fangame Leviathan: The Tempest, which I think is the closest thematically and actually doesn't start from a place of complete dysfunction. It has the same core conceit, "I'm a bad monster and I'm OK with it" from Vampire but goes in different directions.

I still haven't forgiven Leviathan for going with "Bahamutans" instead of "Behemoths" for a splat.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Zereth posted:

I remember when I was young I fond the incredibly terrible network security displayed by everybody ever (including making everything internet-connected even if that's not actually like, remotely useful) bafflingly unrealistic

turns out it's depressingly realistic instead

Used to be you could sort of manage this by restricting the ability of devices to call home via your local network, but the dream of 5G is putting LTE radios in every device big enough to fit the chip! Your teapot will sell your dick pics to Mark Zuckerberg and there'll be nothing you can do about it, short of prying open everything you own and cutting the right thing off the circuitboard. Haha! We live in hell!

Digital Osmosis posted:

nMage will invariably lead to you angrily arguing esoteric philosophy

My favorite session of Mage I've been in was one where the cabal spent the whole time in a conference room politely arguing about the ethics of how we were going to intervene in a mystery we discovered (an apartment building of people that got operant conditioned by gearpunk spider bonethiefs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, the irraka befriended a fear sprit and it needs to eat. Only their locus generates hope and healing flavored essence. So she needs to take it on field trips where they cause enough fear for it to feed. Things are escalating.

I'm glad to hear your pack has decided to become an indie horror filmmaking collective,