Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I feel that poking fun at the oWoD is fair game, but it could be trimmed. The 90s were a hell of a drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well, I guess I must be Edgey Mc Edgerston, because I thought it was a neat little snippet, but I've been pretty interested in Beast since the gencon announcment.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't really care that it's power fantasy. What is interesting to me is how the setting reacts to the character's anger. Sea water begins to seep into the room. The kid had sucker marks in a spot where she didn't touch him. How much of an afgevt do beasts have on reality?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Highlights?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ferrinus, I'm generally curious. Is there anything you actually like in nWoD?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Its definitely weird, but I think it could potentially work. One of the things mentioned is that they seem to be shifting to survival metaphor rather than solely an abuse metaphor. People generally do pretty shocking (and many times, out of character) things to stay alive. So like your Seeming is treated almost like another scar or piece of your trauma that you have to come to terms with, it could be pretty cool. Like while Ms. Beast Changeling understands and values her humanity [i]now/[i], at her lowest point she felt betrayed/abandoned/whatever and cast it aside and thats like an entire aspect of her durance that she still has to deal with. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well, but I could see it tying into a PTSD/survival metaphor pretty cleanly.

With it looking like clarity will be fluctuating throughout play instead of just being straight degradation, this makes sense.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's my fault. I'm the guy that wastes merit points on fleet of foot because of concept.

Libertad: A big thing to consider with both Mage and Vampire PCs is what those vamps are going to do when the mages want to do something during the day.

Here's a question that I'm interested in hearing thoughts on: How much control and what splats have that control over mortal institutions? Vampires and Mages, I have no difficulty seeing with their fingers in every pie, probably fighting for control in certain areas. At least until the mage grows enough in power that human affairs begin to lose their interest.

Werewolves? Eh, I guess. More small town or criminal intimidation than big city politicking. But then there's the Iron Masters who hunt humans and systemic corruption arising from human activity. Still, no where near as prevalent as vamps or wizards.

Outside of the big 3, Demons are probably the most active and I could see being even better at pulling strings than vampires.

Changelings and Geists, I don't see why not, but they have other things going on (changelings) or nothing going on (geists).

I don't know enough about Promethean to even guess, but their "everyone hates me" aura probably makes it a bit difficult.

EDIT: \/\/\/Yeah, for the sake of argument we're staying at city level and assuming that all of the splats above exist to one degree or another.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 26, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MalcolmSheppard posted:

In the case of the Paths they were put up as raw first draft--no edits, just what I had for Dave. There's an even earlier "zero draft" state that developers sometimes look at before writers officially submit anything within the production cycle as well.

I really do appreciate you guys putting these drafts up. Especially in the infinished/ unedited state of these early previews.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you still have those notes, maybe run that Changling game as a pbp here? That sounds amazing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Edit: Anyone know the best place to look for WoD games? Like, SA doesn't seem to have a lot so what's the best community to find games, if anyone knows?

No where. I'm in a W:tF game on the OPP forums, but it's slow as hell. I've looked at RPG.net on advice from here, but there didn't seem to be any games recruiting for nWoD.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
At one point, the only game line that had more pbp threads here than WoD was M&M. I came back to TG after a few years of not playing and there were a handful of vampire games running, but nothing since. There was a recruitment for a mortals game last week, I think, if you check the recruitment thread.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd still love to get a vampire or werewolf game going here.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

What about a vampwolf game?

Are you running one?

Honestly, the crossover chronicle I'd like to see, especially once Mage is out is a street level mixed demi-splat game. That seems like it'd be really fun.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mexcillent posted:

Needs to be a University/Archives book like the police precinct and hospital blue books.

Which is the hospital? I keep meaning to grab 13th precient, but I was unaware of a hospital themed book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
An organized crime one is so obvious that it's amazing there isn't one yet.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

On that note, I don't like the change to the setting that Fae-Touched represents to C:tL; making the hedge itself responsible for applying Wyrd to a mortal rather than a True Fae is a dilution of the basic horror and interconnection of the Changeling experience. Fittlewink and Rickiki suffered through a durance and escaped arcadia, while Bob just got lost in the bramble bushes off the highway for a week?

You mean the constantly shifting verdant horror maze of brambles, sentient thorns, stalking monsters, and greedy tricksters right off the highway?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Slashers is great in another "I will never play this" sort of way. Like maybe a one shot or something, but it does some nice world building and you can use it to make antagonists that are creepy and wrong, but not supernatural. Or go even further and make them totally supernatural. Plus, VASCU has to be my favorite "this governemental organization is aware of teh supernatural" type thing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There's something to salvage in there, or at least having Beasts as weird hangerons that turn into antagonists for other splats when the awful poo poo they do comes to light.

Work computer sucks and gently caress navigating Kickstarter on my phone. What do I need to contribute to get just the hardcover +pdf? Is that the +50 contribution, or is that a softcover and a hardcover?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Precambrian posted:

FFFFUCK OFFF

This is the one that really colors my thoughts that Beasts are lying to themselves about how Feeding works. How does Ahmed punish anyone? They spread a rumor that there's abandoned treasure at the bottom of the lake, then they kill people who weren't doing anything evil, illegal, or even unethical. It's just an excuse to drown people and claim it was "feeding their hunger" after the fact. It inclines me to think that, like, Jo isn't Feeding on out-arguing men, it's just the prologue to get them to throw the first punch so that she can Beast out on them. She's an antifeminist trope because she's only wearing the guise of feminism over a primal desire to injure someone.
[/quote]

Maybe all that treasure belongs in a museum, and that's what he's punishing?

I think you can ditch all the feeding types except Punishers, forget the Dark Mother and links to other supernatural types and turn this in the WoD Superhero game in the vein of Unbreakable. Heroes are actually villains who cause mayhem looking to create a Hero to rail against. Now the Beasts are compelled to go and "fight crime" to build their power, otherwise the let the Villain destory lives and property and ultimately kill them.

Man, I was so interested in Beast when it was announced but reading through the pdf and the comments in this thread has made me wonder if it's even worth salvaging.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

illrepute posted:

Who on earth kickstarted this?

I was going to.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hunter 2E: The Beast Chronicle

No poo poo. I read Melanie adds said to myself, "holy poo poo, I wish my characters were this awesome"

That's a PC right there, or at least a plot device NPC for your game's PCs to seek out/rescue

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I'm probably the biggest opp cheerleader in trad games (outside of mage)' but Beast is just so off putting. The 180 I've done since the announcement of this game last year and now is mind boggling to me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Omnicrom posted:

I was talking specifically about the idea of Beast being a litmus test of bad players actually, though it's not like absolutely anything you've said is wrong here.

The equivilent of someone asking to play a Malkavian or Pooka in oWoD.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Thank god you're here Soonmot, people almost went a page on-topic about Mage without someone's pissy whinging

Here's how you can tell Mage is written with the idea of balance in mind, at least in theory, while Beast's are 100% the MMcF "whatever man just feel the heart of the dice" poo poo: If Mage's mechanics were written like Beast it would make the Arcana read more like Geist Keys mixed with Scion's stat-scale write-ups. But it isn't, because it at least pretends that you don't need to explicitly state Unlimited Numbers to convey unlimited potential.

I was actually enjoying this because it's dispelling a lot of what I *thought* I disliked about mage!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Ferrinus. When Mage 2E comes out are you going to run a game here?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This is a good development.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

unseenlibrarian posted:

"I want to be a dragon or a giant death squid" and also "I want to be Walter Peck from Ghostbusters" at the same time.

Peck was legit a good guy trying to do his job, though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Others have said it, but as I've bugged on eight episodes so far, Sense 8 is WoD as gently caress!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

You can buy it back with xp.

Yes, spending XPs are the mechanics, the in story reasons are left to the ST, but should be more difficult than losing humanity. Selfless acts, charity that actually means something, sacrifice, or even well played deep introspection have been some of the vehicles I've allowed for humanity regen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Axelgear posted:

From what I've read so far, it doesn't actually sound like the Huntsmen hunt based on what you might call physicality. They follow narrative, not pure cause and effect. Otherwise, it'd just be a case of the Huntsman looking for the appropriate signs, doing a little stalking, and bam.

Instead, it sounds like they have to follow narrative weaknesses. They can't just lure you out into a dark alleyway at night by leaving you a clandestine invitation; they have to get your best friend to do it. And they can't just threaten them either, unless this best friend of yours is someone you regularly intimidate. Instead, it has to be by some trade or other dramatically appropriate betrayal.

Makes the game operate more on fairy tale logic, whereby trying to wall yourself off may actually be what makes it easier to get past the gate, y'know?

This is my reading of it, based on what we've seen so far. Not only do huntsmen have to attack following certain rules, they have to attack your strength. They can totally ambush you in a dark alley after you follow a cryptic message, but only if your court structure is based around intrigue and spycraft. I don't think the huntsmen dillute the True Fae at all, as I don't think the True Fae should be anything less than a force of nature that you will never beat, only survive. (Excepting, of course, end of chronicle victories if you're going for happily ever after).

Well see what the full text says.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Something I do think is interesting about how Huntsmen work (going off of what we've seen) is that their means of attacking you seems to be built around the idea of Approaches. So rather than your abuser kicking your door down and dragging you back, now you have a scenario where the new life you've built collapses on you and you're driven/taken back as a result.

You've come back from Arcadia and built a new story around you to protect yourself, the Huntsmen need to unravel that narrative armor and bring you back to the way you felt on the other side of the Hedge, to the story your Keeper wants to tell.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
When I did my V:tM/V:tR mashup, the Sabbat of the city took on "vampire names" to symbolize how they were throwing their mortal concerns and pasts away.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nice. I'm doing a game set in a version of Detroit that is actually beginning to rebuild and my Lancea is split between the old school faction who believe that the city is hopelessly corrupt and must destroy itself for soul s to be saved and the new school faction who want to surgically remove the worst of the worst in order to put the fear of God into the less heinous sinners.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

LatwPIAT posted:

Very maybe. As Rose Bailey once noted, there's a difference between revolutionary vampires who see humans as the proletariat, and revolutionary vampires who see humans as the means of production
Which is fun to play with. The Carthians took over control of my game city from the Invictus, and have been using their influence to enhance mortal efforts to help th he city recover. Sure, that's a good thing, but so is making sure that your livestock are healthy and comfortable.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Does this mean they're doing a rewrite of Aberrant? Because there was a great concept that definitely needed the gallons of old White Wolf hosed off of it.

Aberrant was my favorite superhero RPG, so I was so excited to hear they were reworking it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If Beast wanted to play up the "doing terrible things to terrible people" angle, I'd have rather we gotten a game based on the Fury proposal that was posted a while back. The universe punishing you for not punishing others is a pretty compelling hook.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Plague of Hats posted:

I've more and more come around to favor the idea that whatever your Magic Points are, they're more fun if you don't spend them all the time. Dicking with tracking them all the time is boring, and in the event they do run out, you're typically cut off from the part of the game that in large part gets people to the table. It's better if the bulk of your cool powers have more interesting costs, or no cost at all.

That's why I love that Vampire has all the level 1 disciplines cost nothing. Just go out and be a vampire, it's all good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

narm00 posted:

Huh. Ian Watson's said Masquerade 4th is going to be post-Gehenna (or equivalent).

Welp. I wasn't planning on getting this as I've moved onto nwod, but how can I pass that setting up?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well, forget playing a demisplat mixed group, this sounds like it'll be my street level game instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jade Mage posted:

I'm planning to run a game of V:tR, and I was wondering whether people prefer first or second edition? I figure first edition would have all the material and bloodlines balanced to it, but I usually prefer the rules of 2e. Does the thread have any suggestions forich I should go with?

Big fan of 2e.