Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
What makes the Batman comparison really apt is that moment in The Dark Knight when Batman's holding a mobster by the throat and doing the growly voice and everything and the mobster's just rolling his eyes, because come on, man. We've all caught on that you're full of poo poo by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
All this stuff is front and center in 1st edition. You're wardens of the boundary between flesh and spirit, but twisted hybrid mutants by the standards of either side, so wherever you go and whatever you do you have to deal with either being incredibly dangerous to your surroundings or in great danger from your surroundings. 2E's changed, like, nothing in the way of lore and setting (which I'm glad for).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I really have no idea what you're talking about at all. The 1E corebook didn't present werewolves as pointlessly antagonistic and doomed to infinite hellfailure or whatever. If anything, the premise that the Pure outnumbered the Forsaken probably made the Tribes too cohesive. The game in general was about getting small victories to snowball, taking care of and improving your own little territory and eventually growing it, etc. It seriously sounds like you're mixing up the couple-paragraph blurbs describing the Pure tribes with the rest of the text in the corebook - that's the only place I remember humans as nothing but breeding stock, new werewolves as convert-or-die fodder, etc.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

A badass and perhaps epic death*

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I think we found Beast's target audience!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Omnicrom posted:

Honestly this was why I never really jumped aboard the God Machine train, I liked that there wasn't a lot in the way of truly codified setting stuff.

It seems like it's the Dark Mother stuff that's trying to slip itself behind all the preexisting material and become a codified creation myth. The God Machine doesn't explain anything, but when you say that all the world's monsters are part of an extended family with roots in astral space you're saying quite a bit.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

The image of a Beast trying to befriend with puppy-like enthusiasm all the other supernatural critters by pointing out how they are all related, only to be met with a mixture of disinterest and disdain, is reason enough to use this splat IMHO.

The weird cloying ingratiation that seems native to Beasts both in character and metatextually is really off-putting, frankly. Like, prior to there being even any hints of Beast, I was happy to entertain the idea of primordial mothers of monsters, an expanded portfolio for the Crone, the reflection of monsters as concepts in astral space since monsters and humanity are so intertwined, etc... but not if it comes with a bunch of genre-savvy metamonsters who really get off on people being scared but aren't otherwise actually monstrous. But they keep like, leering at actual, grounded monsters and making encouraging gestures and are all "no go on, I just want to watch".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Primal monsters have nothing to do with exploration or randomly meddling with other, realer monsters. There's literally other text in the book describing the actual solving of mysteries as "rude". poo poo, explore the _____ could describe the goals of anyone (sin-eaters explore the dark corners of the underworld where they feel more at home anyway!). And, wait. Exploring somewhere you feel more at home?

You know what that actually translates to? "Beasts look for plot hooks." That's it. They try to find something interesting to do because lord knows they've got a shortfall.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 22, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

GimpInBlack posted:

As far as All Your Teeth Are Falling Out, the High Satiety effect is pretty nasty in a fistfight, yeah, but it doesn't do anything to weapon damage ratings, so it's not exactly insurmountable. Satiety Expenditure can be pretty nasty if you go into a one-on-one fight full and you're willing to come out starving, for sure, but you're also facing diminishing returns with each activation.

That's the one where your natural weaponry goes to poo poo, right? Sorry, but whispering "you should've been spending XP on weaponry and carrying a chainsaw around" into a Gangrel or werewolf's ear doesn't really justify something like that. Hey, guys, archetypical monster and monster-enabler here, kin to all the creatures that haunt the dark! Yeah I can make a werewolf's claws and fangs stop working. It just seems appropriate, you know?

Also, who cares if it costs mana? Most powers do.

EDIT: Oh, wait, that's not what it does at all. It actually fucks weapon users up just as much as brawlers. My god, this thing is a beating! But does it defeat healing to full every turn or taking only one damage from every attack or whatever the hell else? Who would ever want to actually play a game in which they find out?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 23, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Of course Satiety's mana.

It doesn't matter that weapon ratings apply on top of your rolled successes - that's true for both combatants. The thing is, after the power gets used (assuming extra Satiety DIDN'T get spent - if it did, the other guy can just plain give up, because come on) the Beast is dealing successes + weapon damage while the victim is dealing 1 + weapon damage. The more powerful you are, the more attack dice you're rolling and the more your actual rolled successes are contributing to combat (especially because you're benefitting from -again rules or whatever) except, oops, now they're not.

Sure, there are powers which work by adding autodamage rather than by adding or improving dice, but that's only a portion of what makes a supercombatant work. In a system like this one that lets you specialize and specialize and specialize some more, you can't afford to just lose half your poo poo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

It really isn't though.

For starters, Satiety is rolled to use this very power, meaning that reducing it to power up the Nightmare means making it harder to use in the future. And if it drops under a certain Satiety threshold, it becomes much weaker, meaning that there is an hard limit on how much you can abuse this.
On top of that, having high satiety means attracting Heroic attention, so having this scary power means having an additional hassle to deal with.

Also there is another set of powers, Atavisms, that are more powerful the lower your Satiety is.
I really don't get where you got that impression.

You spend Satiety to activate or amp up your powers and then find ways to regain it. It's mana. "This costs mana" is not a good excuse for something to be overpoweringly strong; everyone has stuff that costs mana, and everyone has ways to regain mana. Atavisms make having low mana even less of a problem than it is on most characters! Oh, no, you spent all this satiety and now you have to TP someone's house to get it back? That's rough, buddy. I, myself, don't have a phone, and it causes me no end of woe.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Here's what makes the least sense about the Beast Seeming writeup:

quote:

A Beast can, of her own free will, enter into a Contract or Pledge or other more intimate acts of binding, but it chuffs her more than the average Lost.

Shouldn't Beasts dislike bindings? It just doesn't make sense.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

They may have meant "chafed" instead of "chuffed."

I'm really chuffed that you didn't get my joke.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The overarching theme of Beasts was a particular sort of dehumanization, same with all the other Seemings. The big difference here is that each Seeming is going to be a survival strategy you adopted rather than a scar the Durance inflicted on you.

"Humanity has failed her, failed her when she was the most in need, and so she rejected it" is a weird sentence to see in Changeling.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Right, or "restraint" or "civility" or similar. The idea's going to take me a bit to get used to over all, honestly, because I feel like there's more pathos in your antlers or your glass carapace or whatever being things your Keeper forced upon you rather than material manifestations of yourself-actualization. As-described Beasts seem to be, broadly, werewolf stories - you're stuck in a suffocating and restrictive place so you wolf out, and now you're an actual fangs-and-fur wolfman. Which is cool... but it's a little less tragic and a little more, well, done already.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

Your antlera and whatnot are not going anywhere, and they are still something that the Keeper forced on you, it's just that they are represented by your kith instead of yoyr Seeming.

You guys do know that kiths are not a subclass of seemings anymore, right? That Runnerswifts can be Beasts or Darklings or even Elementals or Ogres?

So your "Seeming" describes your innermost nature and the source of your willpower rather than how you seem.

I mean, that's not really fair of me. I suppose that in terms of external, available-to-everybody visuals you get a mix of both, so if as my Durance I was just one of the menhirs marking the borders of my Keeper's dominion, and then I became a Beast and escaped, I'd look like a big ox or tiger or whatever that's been carved roughly out of stone, or at least a golem suffused with unnerving vitality and that's got a wild look in its eyes. This feels a bit like Court territory, though... I'd expect that the thing currently called your "Seeming" is what should be determining your mantle and maybe your favored means of reaping glamour more so than your appearance.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Frankly, it's the Thyrsus more than anyone who could get away with being an embarrassing orgy cult in the first place. You can tell because their 1E writeup made them out to be, like, ardent environmentalists who think cities are corrupting influences.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

When your glasses-wearing sidekick does something really cute

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Geist 2E should let you play as Geists rather than as Sin-Eaters.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Gerund posted:

Since 2E seems to be going for a more fluid, wishy-washy expression of their Integrity-analogs, they should make that a part of its thematic expression.

For Geist 2E, their Synergy should be a degree to how visible or wisp-like they are. Being on the low end of Synergy means you're continuously ignored by society, like as mentioned as a curse in legitimate vodoun practices that Geist so painfully wants to be associated with. Getting close to unplayable makes you invisible and ghost-like, and true unplayability makes you a ghost without the ability to interact with the world. Make having extra Synergy make you the magnetic teenaged lone-wolf sex god that OPP demands that every splat become and you're golden.

That's basically how I'd do it - "mute wisp of vapor" would be a Geist's equivalent of Vampire's "snarling draugr", except it's a bit easier/faster to fall down and to bounce back.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Please don't insult me by suggesting that I care about the feelings my posts inspire in others.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 24, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Last Saturday...?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Someone mentioned those before, yeah. Do they have Prereq: Beast or are they just general additions to the game?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

But if we can't buy feats that let us take a penalty to accuracy for a proportionate bonus to damage the game just won't feel like D&D. Wait-

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I knew it in my heart. But if Beast actually has multiple upgrades and extensions for the nearly 100% worthless "lose 3 dice, gain one damage" fighting style merit from the 2E corebook I'll be overjoyed.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Emy posted:

So what is that, lose an expected 0.9 successes to gain 1.0 damage? Who thought that was worth merit points, or even character sheet space?

Because of 10-again, you actually lose an expected 1.0 successes. Unless something's making your pool qualitatively worse on a die-for-die basis (you've lost 10-again, say, or are the victim of All Your Teeth Are Falling Out) it's just straight up a trade-down due to the fact that you gain no average damage but slightly increase your miss chance. But, hey, the more weird dice tricks or roll-independent attack filters we get, the more it's retroactively justified.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I notice that "anymore" is the last word of your post, even though all the terror and psychological violence was part and parcel of Nightmare 1E and all that 2E adds is the goofy 20% real gnome illusionist stuff. Oh but it has to be a creepy wall or a creepy man.

This is like that time David Hill said that now elders had to be smart while revealing rules that made elder vampires way more powerful and scary during the daytime than they ever were in 1E.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Doodmons posted:

Hey man, if you don't think being able to invisibly follow people around and make them hallucinate an unescapable horror movie isn't cool as gently caress, I don't know what to tell you. Upon rereading old Nightmare, however, it's a lot better than I remember so I'll grant you that "anymore". I still think the hallucinations are an excellent addition to the power set and not goofy at all.

You could already do that.

The provlem here is that whoever designed the power just misunderstood A Hunger Like Fire, thinking that Nosreratu characters were willfully crafting and loosing illusion spells rather than striking fear and letting it manifest however it may. So, like, if 2E Scratch knows I'm arachnophobic, he wills me to imagine a giant spider. But what if his intel is bad? What if I love spiders? Does he win the contested roll but watch me roll my eyes or pump my fist at what he thought would be a spooktacular frightmare? Or do I flee in terror regardless because the discipline makes the spider-illusion scary regardless of its actual subject matter? My guess is option number two, but then what's the drat illusion for?

Nightmare should strike fear, and hallucinations should be one of many ways that fear might manifest in a victim. Creating custom hallucinations should not be a first-order Nightmare effect. Maybe some combination of Obfuscate and Dominate could produce "everyone suddenly sees a full-grown tiger enter the cafeteria!" Nightmare should produce "Everyone fears to remain in the cafeteria" and let their own dumb brains decide why.

Now, structurally, 2E Nightmare makes some obvious and long-needed improvements, like making Dread a free, entry-level power and allowing for some finesse and specific behavior alteration at the intermediate level. But the mechanism's all wrong, and the actual decisions made in the course of using the power (what false thing shall I make her believe (as long as it's scary)? what false thing will I cause everyone to see (as long as it's scary)?) turn Nosferatu into hucksters rather than haunts.

Put another way, you might have noticed that Majesty doesn't make people confuse you for specific celebrities, and Dominate doesn't fool people into thinking you're the President. They just work.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 26, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Doodmons posted:

That's completely fair and to be honest, I'm surprised Nightmare doesn't have a power that finds out someone's worst fears. Hell, even a Nightmare/Auspex Devotion that enhances Nightmare 1 to passively tell you what everyone who's affected by it fears. At the moment the only way to do that is use Nightmare 2 and get an exceptional success so you know what, exactly, the victim thinks they're running from. Even that might not necessarily give you a specific worst trigger.

If I'm understanding you right, you'd prefer that the Nightmare 4 'actual hallucinations' power came with flavor text similar to Nightmare 2's "If she knows what sort of things her victim fears, she can choose to enhance that fear specifically; otherwise she inspires an unguided terror that flares up in the victim’s heart without her knowing precisely what he’s afraid of." except rather than an unguided fear it's "a hallucination that is guaranteed to cause terror in the victim."?

I'd make it work through ex nihilo terror and make hallucinations an occasional side effect that isn't under the vampire's direct control or important to the actual working of the power. You'd probably be able to produce paranoid delusionss (i.e. the subject just can't shake the feeling that there's something lurking in those shadows or that everybody is out to get them, such that they're compelled to avoid certain places, people, or behaviors) but not conjure customized holograms.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 26, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Changelings... just got epic.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Seriously though the combat kiths presented there are pretty much just par for the course w/r/t 2E combat systems - "has a weapon" or "has armor" are nothing to write home about. That's approximately in line with the noncombat kiths, who also basically get traits that you could've gotten anyway if you'd bought the right Merits. Of course, there are multiple quotes that seem to depict Changelings threatening their own Keepers with physical violence, so maybe there'll be a bevy of fuckawesome combative Contracts to even the score.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The draconic damage downgrade is worse than armor, and costs to turn into normal armor. The chimera magic tolerance is considerably better - in terms of uniqueness and applicability it's probably the strongest trait on offer in that entire document - but all it really does is even the odds against dicepools that'd otherwise be way bigger than whatever you're rolling to contest, and it's also 100% useless against powers which are resisted rather than contested.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

My hope is that 2E mages are genuinely weak and fragile.

Esser-Z posted:

Nah, Vampires just suck.

Yeah, in 2E it's just vampires who have no real access to agg to speak of while every other splat can throw it around out of the gate. I can't imagine the people writing Vampire 2E knew about werewolf bites, demon guns, etc, as they were actually finalizing stuff, so I just chalk this up to general lack of oversight/consistency.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Esser-Z posted:

Why would you ever use an attack spell instead of OOPS THAT CAR'S TIRE BLEW AND IT SLAMMED INTO YOU or whatever? IMO, Mage surives on creativity, not blasting.

That's an attack spell.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I asked in the comments, but just so everyone here is fully aware.

Using Forces to Shield someone from gravity means just that.

You can turn off gravity at two dots. :getin:

That's the problem with Shielding. It's either the fiddliest and most combat-specific poo poo ever or an end-run around the fraying/unraveling/unmaking progression.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Throwing fire at someone shouldn't be Unraveling Forces, it should be Weaving (scooping up and weaponizing fire), Patterning (turning some sound or light or whatever to fire, then maybe Weaving it at someone), or Making (hey, presto: some fire!).

Possibly I should be saying Ruling rather than Making because I'm not quite sure of the difference in 2E, but it shouldn't be Unraveling. Practices should be something you do TO, not WITH, the Arcanum.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I think it's generally a good idea to assume that magic works relative to the planet earth in most circumstances, such that someone whose personal gravity gets suspended just starts floating around aimlessly unless they can grab onto something.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ha-ha, then it's an attack spell but not a direct attack spell! Ferrinus wins again.

Seriously, though... how severe is the crash? How much roof falls in? How much current do you draw? How hot is the air? How bad is the luck? Several of those actually sound like exactly the thing that gets dialed up and down based on Imago and/or casting successes rather than ST judgement/consistency with a previously-described environment. The way you put it, "direct attacks" themselves are incredibly niche and might not need to exist at all, instead simply calling for things like "heart attack", "creeping necrosis", and "dissolving into sky-blue pixels" to be added to some list of example weaponizable hazards.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Gerund posted:

It seems to me that the writers are terrified of telling players that no matter how Clever a mage is with their magic, the exarchs declare that in the Fallen World disciples of an arcana do a single bashing per potency in a single combat round with a spell.

Well, nothing works like that any more. A sword doesn't deal one lethal per success... it deals three (plus successes). A chainsaw deals five, a knife deals one, and so on. It seems like this should be extensible to eighteen-wheelers and heart attacks, even when the hazard is one you, the caster, can customize (that's when you just set the bonus rather than asking your ST or a book for one).

It seems like some kind of ironclad 3 = bashing, 4 = lethal rule has no place here, though, except as a rough guideline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

jagadaishio posted:

My main hope is that you are pummeled by an endless barrage of Magic Missiles until you recant.

Higher Arcana make you more context-free than low Arcana. You don't need to find fire if you can turn any energy you have at hand into fire, and you don't even need to find energy if you can create fire from nothing. The advantage of using environmental effects is that they exist in the scene for you to make use of whether or not you're a century-old obsessive who's replaced every pursuit they once had in their lives with the study of the Arcana. Ball of Abysmal Flame should be rarer and more technically demanding than Gas Main Eruption; making it also outright weaker would just be stupid.

Wishing someone to death should be more powerful than shooting them with a gun for the same reason that wishing yourself to Paris should be more powerful than buying a plane ticket - assuming you're that good at making wishes.