Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MalcolmSheppard posted:

That's certainly an essay about how vampire horror shouldn't explore the discomforting intersection between sex and violence.
That's certainly the complete dismissal of valid concerns without actually reading a word of said concern that I've come to expect out of you. But since I have time to post at work, I'll tl;dr it for you: the problem isn't that the topic is explored, it's how that exploration is presented. Specifically, a book titled "sexmurder" with zero other context (because it's a book cover) is, if nothing else, in extremely poor taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Daeren posted:

Listen, it's my two+ year old sassy quote at the top of this thread, and I think that OPP as a whole shouldn't be as demonized as it has been. There's some stupid poo poo in the past, yeah, but Etherwind's rant about an internally controversial branding loses the self-righteous punch when he turns around and gets perma probated for wishing actual, literal death on a dude for having the gall to have different opinions. Make fun of specific aspects, maybe even specific writers if they have an extremely long and proven history like Rein*Hagen or Brucato, but maybe the third post should be cut or replaced by just the bestiality paragraph and Rape of Persephone if it's just going to cause arguments and slapfights.

efb
Counterpoint: malcolm sheppard is a lovely writer, a lovely poster, & a lovely person and if he weren't credited in WW books he would have been banned long ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Simian_Prime posted:

Tyrion is Moros, because Short People Got No Reason to Live.
Tyrion is Moros because he gets paid and shoots people who give him poo poo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

tatankatonk posted:

Guys, where are you going? I swear we're important, too! Hey, stop kidding around, let me in the clubhouse, come on, you said it was cool this time-
"Beasts are fundamentally a part of the World of Darkness because if they weren't then this line would have no reason to exist."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Attorney at Funk posted:

In the World of Darkness, talk is cheap. But souls are cheaper.

e: I'm just going to make sure that all of my posts from now on could immediately be followed with "With this power, the Lucifuge can-"
I have exactly one Hunter character I play and it is always "no really guys I'm a good guy *raises zombies, throws hellfire*"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

moths posted:

I get what they're going for, but it comes across as a sky-type pokébeast with wind-themed moves instead of an embodiment of primal dread.

Which might works better with Team Rocket as Heroes.
If my goal is to catch 'em all, would I be a Hero for some hoarding beast, or a hoarding beast myself?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cabbit posted:

This was all I could see in that whole post, sorry.
To be fair, if Beast just said "gently caress it fine you can be Smaug or the Lich King or Godzilla" I would buy the book without a second thought.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Stallion Cabana posted:

You can't be a Hero so you would have to be a Beast, duh.
Oh, right. Gonna make a Beast that is Mewtwo and my Lair is gonna be a pixel-by-pixel copy of pokemon red.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

No no, Pokémon Gold, then they have top struggle through half the lair grinding on monsters half their level to get to you.
Red has Rock Tunnel, a never-ending horde of zubats and requires Flash to navigate at all.

Edit: Missingno item glitch is one of those int+academics rolls to remember/stumble into the ritual, a la demon summoning.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 16, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kavak posted:

You can't get more primal and terrifying than earthquakes, lightning, tornadoes, etc.
Make a Beast with these powers, then a Hero shows up with the Six-Demon Bag to fight you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Night10194 posted:

I don't see why this is in any way an undesirable outcome.
Pretty close to the best possible outcome IMO.

quote:

Maybe the better idea would be playing as the Soul, and whatever human you're manifesting in is just a temporary host, a puppet in pursuit of your Legend instead of your hunger. If he or she gets killed by a hero, so what? There are plenty more darker souls to replace and keep going. As long as people remember you, as long as people fear what was behind that killer's eyes, the Soul survives and moves on.
But only if you sing "time is on my side" repeatedly. Eventually your hero is Denzel Washington.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mors Rattus posted:

Is there really such a thing as a death that isn't ultimately pointless? Especially in the World of Darkness.
Everything is pointless and we're all going to meet the same ultimate end point.

Euthanatos 4 lyfe

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kavak posted:

Now what the hell happened to Effectronica's avatar?
Never go into GBS.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

UrbicaMortis posted:

Did they have to pick a seeming to spoil that has the exact same name as a different gameline also being discussed a lot a the moment? Going to be very confusing.
Especially because both the splat and the seeming are boring as poo poo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Crion posted:

Interested to see if the trend continues and Mage 2E Thyrsus are explicitly all about being primal, passionate shapeshifters that fight hard and gently caress harder
Every splat gets their own version of Undead Menses.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kavak posted:

Your Keeper abducted you seemingly only to torment you. His prison-factory was a seemingly infinite expanse of metal and concrete, like an industrial plant built on acid. He put you and other Changelings to work on meaningless tasks, building titanic, empty structures in his image. Accidents or rampaging Hedge-Beasts would kill them by the score, or they would die in one of his nonsensical games. It seemed like every week he would let you "escape" to somewhere like the real world, giving you just enough time to enjoy yourself, only for his pet mechanical horror to burst out from the scenery and drag you back in an orgy of violence. As it lifted you up across the mad landscape of Faerie, it would always play that terrible song...
I would play in this game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pope Guilty posted:

Metis makes me want to go back in time and scream "DON'T loving DO THAT" into MRH's ear while he's asleep.
Metis is inextricably linked to swap.avi in my mind and is thus The Worst Thing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mendrian posted:

a power that made you piss your pants so hard you started to hallucinate
I have that power IRL, it's called That Second Pitcher Was A Mistake

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Esser-Z posted:

Why would you ever use an attack spell instead of OOPS THAT CAR'S TIRE BLEW AND IT SLAMMED INTO YOU or whatever? IMO, Mage surives on creativity, not blasting.
Everyone in my mage game has Forces, even the acanthus. Blasting is :krad:.

e: wait, the moros doesn't but Death is just as good for blasting as Forces.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Emy posted:

I am by no means a Mage expert, but this is strange. I get some of these as setting up other hazards that will do their own damage (such as the safe example), or the car crash (which may not deal any damage to the driver at all, depending on how bad it is). But then some of the others seem like straightfoward attack spells. Electricity arcing out of the walls and frying people isn't usually something that happens by Fallen World rules, unlike safes falling due to gravity, so it's just a magical attack. Same with superheating the air around a target; that seems like a regular Forces attack too.
Yeah, that sounds like the kind of thing that positively screams "abuse the hell out of me!" because if blasting a guy with fire is Forces+Gnosis-Defense but setting his clothes on fire is just Forces+Gnosis, why in the hell would anyone do the former?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Whoever said blasting a guy with fire was Forces+Gnosis-Defense?

(EDIT: Sorry. Yes. To clarify - whoever said you got Defense against spells?)
I am going off the assumption that spells are going to have a resistance stat of some sort in the same manner that every single other power in every other game that directly targets someone has a resistance stat of some kind. If this isn't the case then it is one hell of a paradigm shift in the way powers function on both a general and specific level.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Inzombiac posted:

I'm thinking that tier 5 potions (invisibility, temp high damage soak, etc.) Should require getting an ingredient that is difficult to acquire (werewolf tail, Gangrel claw, demon eyes) but only needs to be acquired once. She's resisting because she's investing in medicine but doesn't use it for anything else and thinks the merit tax should be enough.
That kind of thing would be right up my alley but I can definitely see why others might not like it. I would probably hold off on it for "basic" tier 5 stuff like N armor or +X damage, but unique/potentially game breaking stuff (like invisibility) should still require something I think. Or hell, just tell her that this basically enables her to go full Blue Mage and see if that changes her mind on it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tailfnz posted:

Not to mention I got to be a part of creating and running what I feel is one of the ballsiest ST staff moves of all time: what the community refers to this day simply as the Bizarro World Chapter.
That is a story and you are going to tell it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't mean have C20 be Lost, I mean is there anything about Lost that would interfere with just dropping it into the OWOD and pretending Dreaming never happened.
Not that I can think of. Hell, their gehenna scenario could be "all the Keepers invade en masse to reclaim their changeling slaves!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Obligatum VII posted:

Here's a question to ponder, then: Given the new presentation of the Abyss, is Missingno an example of an abyssal manifestation? If so, how many mages have used it to attempt to duplicate things like artifacts thus far?
With Matter+Prime(+Mind I think?) you can rip an artifact out of a dream and into reality. Make 50 people dream about a thing and then go hog wild.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Loomer posted:

On that note of different reactions, the best crime group in the oWoD is Sapa Inca, a Colombian drug cartel operating in Detroit that's wiped the city clean of vampires and is setting up limbs in most major cities. Picture MS-13, the Medellins or the Sinaloa Cartel, only they use machetes and flamethrowers to kill vampires as well as journalists and rivals. Of course they revealed they were secretly masterminded by the anarchs originally but they've gone completely rogue and do their own thing. The hilarious part is that in a couple of years, a violent drug cartel did more to make the streets of Detroit safer than the Imbued managed in over a decade, all without the benefit of supernatural sight or healing gifts or magic powers to better kill monsters. All they had was a few tips and some narco cult rituals.

What's real scary is they also do a lot of outreach IIRC to other, even rival, gangs and cartels about the undead scourge behind the scenes. I can't think of anything more terrifying for vampires than a large, world-spanning, streets-up movement that wants them dead and has spent decades learning how to wage an asymmetrical war and which is largely out of reach of the Camarilla stand-bys of police and government manipulation. They're well armed, able to operate in the daylight, and loving fearless because they're all snorting cocaine and preying to Santa Muerte before a fight. It's oWoD as gently caress and I love.
There is nothing I don't love about this. Oh oWoD. :allears:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gerund posted:

What nWoD really needed in its second edition was an unrestricted connective ur-beast to unify the gamelines under a single umbrella, held in the hand of an obvious creator-insert faction that is in text referred to as Good and Pure and Worthy, and have it textually established that all the other gamelines are totally cool with this arrangement.
When a Beast is not in a scene, all the other characters should be saying "where's Poochy the Beast?"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Luminous Obscurity posted:

You know how cats bring home dead mice?
"I saw this rear end in a top hat cut you off." *ka-thud* "You're welcome."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Was anyone else kind of disappointed when they got rid of the whole "you can drink from other supers but it's also got these side effects" deal? Because I always thought that was a wonderful bit of flavor (and led to some great misadventures, like trying to kidnap a werewolf for their crazy efficient blood).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rand Brittain posted:

It feels like the text is working out some old grudge that I don't share, and reading it makes me very uncomfortable.
Beasts are the people who get quoted in tumblr.txt, Heroes are the goons quoting them. And since I can play that game by going into GBS anyways, I have a negative amount of interest in reading a disjointed RPG book about that "struggle".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Adept Nightingale posted:

The hero stuff is sincerely pretty weak, though-- I expect more nuanced and interesting villains from WoD, and I think just using straight up hunters would have made more sense. Would also have turned the question of right to exist back onto the Beasts themselves-- they do awful things to get by, but would they be willing to die to make it stop?
I would have vastly preferred to hear about a new Hunter compact that are Beowulf style monster hunters. Hell, their endowment merit could be based on the kind of Beast(s) they hunt!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kavak posted:

Carl's either a mortal or a Sleepwalker.
Union Hunter.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

Beasts should be unrepentant, inhuman monsters. They are the villain of the story, they are also the player characters. Make the Heroes be actually heroic, have them made of sterner stuff, have them rise up to fight against the tyrants that predate upon the modern nights. And then have the beasts kill them. You are spreading fear, You are sowing terror, you are doing this because it feels good. Your end goal isn't to make the world a better place, it's to achieve spiritual apotheosis and become more than the sum of your parts. To tell Campbell to take the Heroes Journey and shove it up his rear end. This isn't a tale with a happy ending. You aren't some monster to be slain. You are a Myth. And this is your story.
How is it that literally every goon idea for Beast has been better by miles than what we're actually getting? Like seriously I would have actually funded any of these ideas over what we got.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Flavivirus posted:

I really feel a solution might be to give beasts an incentive to create and cultivate heroes in order to increase their mythical nature. You could set it up that the reward is commensurate with the scale of the Hero - an unathletic unpopular neckbeard hero is only a light snack, while a virtuous, driven, skilled leader of men will give you huge amounts of myth xp if killed. Obviously you'd also have to make it clear that the beast is highly complicit in the hero's condition, and treat heroes with some sympathy.

(That or just go the route that they're what happens if you reject the homecoming or are a twisted version of it)
I like this, but I also kinda like the idea of Beast and Hero(es) as being a sort of in-character GM/Player scenario. Beast creates his lair and has the heroes run through it for xp and if/when they get through, the Beast gets to try his hand at beating the hell out of them for xp. Then he says "hey good try, same time next week?" as the heroes retreat. It would make the protag/antagonist relationship a bit more interesting IMO since it would be less of a standard battle and more of an implicit agreement; "I'll fight you and build up your story so that you don't build your story on the pain of others who can't handle it".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Crion posted:

This is really funny, too, because it means Beasts not only essentially have no problem whatsoever blending into and co-opting mortal power structures, but that they're basically free to just wander around as they please through the Shadow, the Hedge, Arcadia itself, etc., because not only are they extremely potent power-wise, the very nature of all everywhere is conducive to them poking their noses into everyone else's business to talk more about themselves.
This is really irritating because it goes against pretty much everything every other line has said about a ton of realms. Places that only archmasters, changelings that are at risk of becoming gentry, and/or werewolves that bleed essence when in the material can go to? Beasts can go those places and not even be in danger. Yes, good, please have your crappy mary sue splat dilute the impact of every realm ever printed at once.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

tatankatonk posted:

Just shovel more garbage into my brain
When do we get to the Beasts that feed by pitching?

Also I can't read Namtaru and see anything besides Hamtaro, and tell me you wouldn't play a game about evil hamsters.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gilok posted:

So I don't want to go wade through thousands of off-site forums posts. What do RPG.net and OPP forums think of Beast? Are these same issues being raised and taken seriously there, are they being raised and then smacked down by mods, or do they all love it?
I can't speak for RPG.net but OPP posters are by and large the best examples of Beast sample characters outside of an otherkin tumblr so I can't imagine that they are concerned with anything in the book.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gerund posted:

This sort of "turn the air in their lungs into acid" wankery is why I wish there was a writer brave enough to include:

NO MATTER HOW 'CLEVER' YOU ARE WITH SPELLS YOU CAN ONLY DO SUCCESS WORTH OF DAMAGE

as the first sentence of the first paragraph of the spellcasting section. Spend the rest of the paragraph explaining that the Exarchs hate you and its the reason mages hate the Exarchs.
I did this for my mage game that used the piecemeal rules of 2e from the blog posts and it worked amazingly because suddenly my players weren't googling for immediately fatal poisons and reactive materials to skirt the damage rules, it was just "your Matter spell turns some of his shirt into NaOH for [potency] lethal" or "your Life spell makes a swarm of tarantula hawks that sting him for X bashing and give him a -[factor] penalty to actions because 4/4 Schmidt pain scale."

Honestly I think it's a silly thing not to do, really. The people who cry about "but muh creativity :saddowns:" aren't people I'd want to be around at all, let alone play with.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

spectralent posted:

how would you guys rate nWoD splats, in terms of mono-splat enjoyment/interest/fun/whatever your heuristic for "good game" is?
I'd put Changeling at the top of the list overall. The powers are interesting and useful without being too broad or too narrow, and the catches are really fun to try to maneuver into. There's several easily aimed at and realistically sought after and accomplished end game goals.

Mage is next for me because :krad: WIZARDS :catdrugs:. It's second because it's really loving hard to find a good ST for. Choice paralysis with spells is a bitch and a half. The end game for mages is kind of nebulous, and after a while the game can devolve into "I scry the plot. I cast another spell at the plot. I win the plot. Oh, magic doesn't solve this plot? Bullshit; I use spells to find out what the answer is and use magic to abscond with it, then solve the plot."

After that I'd put vampire. It's a solid game and I like it but it always feels like the end game is "I'm bored with this, let's play something else" and being hardlocked into a bloodline always chafed me a little bit. Especially the "you can never ever ever get another bloodline's fun poo poo! Not even if you eat their soul, where all their other disciplines are!" part.

Then I guess werewolf/promethean go here because they just hold absolutely no interest to me. I like them as antagonists & NPCs for other games because the shadow/qashmallim stuff is a gold mine filled with arkenstones.

Geist is after that because I'm not a fan of any game where you can back into an infinite combo at chargen, and the fluff is boring.

Next is being forced to be Steve-O's stunt double for a new Jackass movie.

After that is Beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

So one of the amusing things about this meme, is that Brutal Casting doesn't actually exist. I didn't like it in the first draft of Mage's Merits, so I deleted it in the redlines.

And not a single one of you knows what it was supposed to do. Only David Hill and I do.
Make it come back. I don't even care what it does.