Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Seems like they're restricting Autumn's purview away from Scarecrow-style slashers and making all Autumn courtiers wizards/sorcerers who get access to more splat lore than the other courts but, as a consequence, must also suffer more plothooks. Oh no. How dreadful. Also they're the group who gets to hang out with the other splats. Not a fan compared to the 1E Autumn Court, which didn't focus Fear into such a specific archetype.

Each of these court descriptions is likely written with the narrative voice that they're the best and most badass (this excerpt certainly is) so it'll be interesting to see the other three.

Crion fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Axelgear posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't go into what sorcery means. This doesn't sound that different to the 1e Autumn Court, though it does nicely focus a thing or two up a bit, but it runs the risk of running into the exact same problem that 1e's Autumn Court does: Being called sorcerers, despite having nothing that makes them any more magical than any other Court.

They've done as much as they can to communicate that aesthetic without giving the Autumn Court extra mechanics to make them better than everyone else at magic (Contract, Hedge, or otherwise), which would be a terrible idea.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Reducing the Court's purview to "clinical views" of their fear is already extremely limiting to begin with. It also implies that you can only play a wild-eyed Autumn pseudo-slasher if he's doing it ironically.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Gerund posted:

I mean, that's the entire text of the Scarecrow Ministry sooooo

The Scarecrow Ministry was not every Autumn changeling who used fear as an overt weapon rather than a study aid.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I'm still trying to get past the idea that the ideal form of Beast is playing as a group of Pennywises the Clown. Even before the stuff in the back-end of the book starts up, you've kind of just got Beast-As-Written: a creepy, supernatural, psychotic child-murderer who presumably knows secret things about the world and hides out in his lair, best suited for being the antagonist of your game if he's included at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Octavo posted:

Rites of the Dragon is my least favorite Requiem fiction, and I usually like everything Stolze writes. A better in-universe artifact - esp if you’ve been to bible school and can appreciate fictional textual criticism - is the incredibly nerdy Testament of Longinus.

The clan splatbooks all had some amazing fiction. Daeva and Ventrue were probably my favorites with Mekhet a close third. I also loved the poo poo out of the Secrets of the Covenants fiction, which implausibly managed to make the Carthians cool by chronicling all their worst fuckups.

The Testament of Longinus owns, though I remember concluding that the moving pieces of its theology were so clumsy/terrible that the priest character I was playing at the time decided to give a sermon in Denver about how it was horseshit, and very nearly frenzied the city's Nightmare 5, Protean 5 bishop right there in the church

(The entire work is obviously a badly-reasoned, self-serving post hoc justification for being a vampire, and IIRC there's an academic marking up "your copy" of the Testament to point this out to you)