Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm possibly going to be playing a werewolf who deals with sea stuff soonish. Are there any decent merits or rules subsystems to look out for and anything to avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I really like all the Z splats personally.

Though one of the local branches of one of the big uk larp things once had a venue run a plot where a magic thing needed a 'pure' (non-bloodlined) member of each clan to unlock it. They couldn't do it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I'm batman

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I actually like darklings and do like that write up. But "I'm willing to make the hard choices others won't" sounds like an arrow/batman kinda line

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

In my experience of gaming the hard choice tends to be being more moral, not less.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Thats just a moment of awesome from tropertales isn't it? It reads the same.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Bowser is a Sorcerer according to the mario 1 instruction manual

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Christopher Lee is the handsomest Dracula

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Flavivirus posted:

Or at least was :(

Man does no-one else remember this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2875010&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Night10194 posted:

What was their goal, anyway? I played Bloodlines and all and they always just sound like they're a pack of psychos who don't get why the vampires need to hide.

Freedom from the antedeluvians. Cainites free to choose their own destiny!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Crion posted:

Because the entire narrative engine that 1E ran off of was the exceedingly terrifying personal relationship between the Changeling and their Keeper. They were, very intentionally, not 1% capitalist overlord/business executive stand-ins who don't get their hands dirty. This is like the weird reverse of ruminating on why the Exarchs in Mage don't pop down from the Realms Supernal to deal with troublesome Pentacle cabals themselves. The True Fae aren't Exarchs, and making them knockoff Exarchs served by knockoff Seers with a slight aesthetic change would do both lines a disservice.

The text seen so far suggests they're not knockoff seers.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Noooo mt group didn't get into the awakening playtest :(

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

WereJace posted:

Does anyone have any 'absolute must-have' supplements for Changeling: the Lost? I'm prepping to run a WW2 era cloak and dagger sort of thing, if that helps.

I really like the goblin markets book.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

ErichZahn posted:

I just realized why Pentex is still sending checks to the Technocracy.

Ouch.

Why?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I think I'm going to be running old werewolf soon. It's dumb and goofy and I love it

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

:allears:

I see the spirit of White Wolf lives on.

Mind, I see how the traditional Masquerade attitude could lead to that weird LARP metaplot - basically, that the game should be laser-focused on the Camarilla power games, and anything else is a troublemaking aberration, so burn it down.

Didn't the official requiem larp end up with a lancea sanctum/carthian merged covenant taking over south america? i always thought that sounded badass.

Re:task force. I actually think they're more interesting with not being run by supernaturals, but until recently were and their tech reached a point where they managed to purge themselves

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I don't understand how the pure have stayed as any form of coherrent ideology, their ideology doesn't seem like it would work long term at all

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Mendrian posted:

Eh other methods weren't better.

Requiem MET used a simple card draw+skill resolution system. It's faster, but that's not the part that grinds mass combat to a close. It's 10+ nerds trying to figure out the most significant thing they can do with their 3 second turn before whatever they're fighting gets erased on round 2.

Requiems 10d5 system was worse than r/p/s by a significant margin it was the worst. The absolute worst. Every live system i play now just uses dice rolling apps and tabletop rules

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

10d5 makes me so amgry

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

The requiem met system is
Carry a set of cards 1-10.
Draw one card and add it to your pool
10 is 1 success, 15 is 2, 20 is 3 and so on. Or 10d5or 10div5 as its known.

It plays like poo poo

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Did you respond something along the lines of "anything? I know everything!" Or is the database something you whip out on second sessions

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

I'm disappointed to see that the consequences to your spellpower for releasing vs. containing a paradox are still thematically backwards in mage 2E, as indicated by preview material. For some reason, taking the full consequences of a poorly-conceived spell onto yourself rather than loosing them on the world is the best way to ensure that your spell is cast at full power and achieves its intended effects.

It should be the case that containing a paradox imposes a penalty to the casting pool and has the chance of making it hit the wrong target or fail outright (in addition to damaging or cursing you or whatever), while releasing a paradox guarantees that your spell-as-imagined goes off without a hitch but in fact does too much, having additional effects on its target or environs that you didn't consciously intend but perhaps wanted deep down or couldn't help but subconsciously imagine.

It's always felt to me like containing the paradox is pretty much always the no brainer option

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I really like yr point about unleashing vs containing paradox and will annoy my nerd friends with discussing the idea

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

A cheeseburger is a pizza

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I'm statting something for changeling 1e and I'm looking at the Fighting Style: Hedge Dueling merit from rites of spring and I've got some questions. Level 1 says it gives your opponent +2 initiave, Should this be giving you the bonus instead?

Secondly, for the level 4 ability. Once you've got their willpower down to 0 does each individual attack reduce their pool by an additional 1 (meaning you'd need to spend an additional 8 rounds to knock someone out) or does it reduce by success'. Given how dangerous combat statted people are, the formed seems too slow to really be useful in a duel...

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

What kind of hell is Secrets of the Covenants trapped in?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

A frieend of mine who is really good at cosplay is apparently the nuwisha. His photo looks p good imo

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I believe their timetable as much as I've owned secrets of the Covenants for several years

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Secrets of the covenants finally exists. k think thats a sign of the apocalypse

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

The triumphant return of lawyer adamantine arrow

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

DB, I've been meaning to ask, is there likely to be a legacy book for 2e in the future? Or is it making your own?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Firefly is an oWod post ghenna/apocalypse setting

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

Another checkmark against 2e.

But they aren't described as such anywhere, they're described as something unique to Hunters, and Hunters already don't paper over the supernatural like normal human beings do in the World of Darkness. Furthermore, all Hunters are expressly capable of becoming an explicitly supernatural being. The Hunter origin myth provided implies a supernatural origin, and while you could argue that being able to pass the screening for VASCU is a retroactive thing like a character joining the Lucifuge from being a tier-1 Hunter, if it isn't, then it's a Hunter thing that all of them are uniquely prone to becoming a Slasher.

I mean, to an extent this is splitting hairs about whether someone is merely abnormal in a normal way or abnormal in a supernatural way, but poo poo, all the other lines use supernaturalism as a metaphor.

The Union's thing is that they don't give a drat about what's happening outside of their defended neighborhood, yeah. But their supernatural power is the ability to cover up their murders of supernaturals.

Your logic is weird and backwards. A blue book human could learn how to teamwork or whatever. But to do so they'd have to take up the fight against monsters.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I'm in a larp which is owod and about 4 nwod. The owod one is a sabbat larp and overall owod works better for pve games. NWoD is much better at the setting actually working for pvp play.

And the step up from 1e to 2e is so mu ch better. Though i do know one or two people are mad about aspirations for some reason.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

My local VTR larp recently introduced social mechanic rules. Basicalpy each skill can give an associated condition. So you can't compel people, but you can make it worth their while

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

I remember that movie.

I ran a larp to advertise that movie. Fun times

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Have there be a powerful local spirit of krampus the christmas devil

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Has anyone claimed that book yet 'cos i def want that book

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Do any nWoD books give much details on any rank 8+ spirits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The Tamers of Blood wish to make it clear that they don't deal with vampires. They're interested in the well-known symbolic relationship between blood and sympathy, and the resulting "gently caress with vampires" powers are an entirely innocent byproduct.

Are they getting a write-up, is it going to be somewhere before xmas and how do I get it?