Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
Syrio Forel is Acanthus, surviving against all odds to return to us when we need him the most :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
Hunter is my favorite nWoD splat and I wish it were getting a second edition before Changeling or Promethean. I really enjoy the backdrop theme throughout the book of the psychotic and obsessive mindset you need to adopt to survive the Vigil slowly turning you superhuman by itself. That continued, willful confrontation of the Darkness isn't something just anybody can do, it takes a special kind of person to fan that ember. Not even just strength of character, but this perverse something that draws Hunters almost as far away from humanity as their quarry. The Code, Slashers, risking willpower, practical experience-- magnificent, and I hope that side of things gets expanded on in lieu of more Knights of St. Splatfucker Conspiracies if they ever get around to it.

Crion posted:

I mean, it's cool that you like Hunter and all, and this is certainly a game you can play using the line, but what you're describing is the compact-size Union game. Not all of Hunter. There's a whole lot of chaff in that product.

Yeah. Endowments are a thematic mess and Conspiracies in general have a problem with being inorganically disconnected from the ideas established in the core chapters. They make great antagonists for other splats, at least.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Effectronica posted:

The Conspiracies, minus the one from the Werewoof book and the Ascending Ones, are all great and thematic. There's something of a disconnect with the Compacts, more.

Powerful shadowy organizations pulling experienced monster hunters into their employ is cool. I like Cheiron, and I think TF:V and The Ascending Ones would work as that with minor tweaking. The general idea behind Conspiracies is sound, but they're too disconnected from the other tiers, I only remember throwaway lines about how they started off "just like you!" in the distant past, if that. They kind of revise the "why" of the Vigil. Malleus isn't about playing a Hunter who discovers and practices her Vigil on her own terms as it is about playing an Endowed agent of the Catholic Church. And they're all kind of like that. Compacts are more about the "how", and still feel organically connected to tier one even if some of them get left out in the cold in terms of support for what they do.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Crion posted:

As far as I'm aware, cell-level play is basically WoD Mortals with access to the Profession Merit (and probably one or two other merits that escape me at the moment). Maybe you start with more XP to spend? I forget. The Profession Merit is pretty strong, but it's still just a merit. And my point isn't that he's gaming wrong or anything; indeed, he ISN'T gaming, that's why he made the post, and what I'm saying is maybe the reason none of his friends want to play Hunter is because they have this misapprehension that Hunter is entirely about cell-level or Union compact play, when that's really not the full game at all. Hunter both provides cool powers and the ability to not die when you get shot (with caveats to both). But not if you're playing it street-level without endowments, which was his pitch. It doesn't sound like a system problem but an expectations problem.

You also get risking willpower, practical experience, and Tactics in tier one. You can also use The Code, it's optional but why the hell wouldn't you, it's a great story tool.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
It's pretty fantastic how half of the Hunter Conspiracies are later revealed to be secretly under the thumb of out-and-out monsters/witches. Mm, yes, a righteous helping of dramatic irony. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
Being unaging doesn't make you inherently evil or anything but because it goes against the spiritual beliefs of most mages and the more common ways of achieving it are really nasty business, they don't like taking chances. Also because centuries-old mages who haven't achieved archmastery are probably horrendous acts of hubris waiting to happen, which is a rare moment of self-awareness for the Pentacle.