Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
So Geist and Promethean get 4 eras each, as opposed to Hunter or Vampire, games that many more people play :/

Not saying it will not be a good read, but wondering how much of it will be really put into practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
So they just posted this.

I guess "families" are like Vampire clans or Werewolf tribes, but if they are meant to evoke specific themes, I think they're very vague (at least from how they're described in the blog post). Also I wouldn't say that one out of five of the primordial fears of mankind is the sky, but what do I know.

I haven't checked the leak, could anyone who has let us know if families are better described and somewhat more specific in the corebook?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I really want to like this, but I think the sole fact that we're trying to get our heads about what the concept of each family is, means they aren't well defined. I mean, you can sum up any of Vampire clans in 3 words and it will say much more to me than those :words:.

Edit: e.g, if I'm afraid of a huge that might kill me, am I afraid of being helpless before strength, of being destroyed, of drowning or of exposure?

Cable fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 15, 2015

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
So which beast family represents the primordial fear of a bad game line?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Kavak posted:

“In a traditional German toilet, the hole into which poo poo disappears after we flush is right at the front, so that poo poo is first laid out for us to sniff and inspect for traces of illness”

As a Spaniard living in Germany, I can say this is true and also gross.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Next year's gameline

On paper, it sounds better than what we've seen of Beast so far. But I'm skeptical of creating a complete game line for this. By the sound of it, a bigger blue-book supplement would've been enough.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
When is hunter 2 being released? I've always wanted to take a look at hunter since reckoning was my favorite owod line, but I feel I should wait for the second version.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Turn-based grand strategy Sabbat vs Camarilla game coming.

I'm actually optimistic! I think the IP has a great potential for videogames. CCP's mistake was trying to do a MMORPG 10 years after MMORPGs stopped to be relevant.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
On a side note, they list Madrid's TenebraeCon in the "upcoming events" list at the bottom, and that one's been cancelled for a week already.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
So while we're in oWod/nWod talk:

I think I'm one of the few people to actually like Hunter: the Reckoning. I've run it several times and I have to highlight that, while oWod is normally more comic book action-oriented, the games I've run have been pretty introspective and as dramatic as I could make them. I think the overall tone I want to achieve is similar to nWod bluebook, people suddenly discovering something they can't ignore and deciding whether and how to fight it or cure it. I kinda like the Heralds metaplot but the God Machine sounds just as good (and over the top) to me, so even if there's lots of stupid things in the line, I've ignored them for the most part.

The thing is that I want to start a game with some new people, and while I'm very familiar with H:tR already (and hence biased to go with it), I'm curious about what the bluebook and Vigil have to offer. If I'm going to run a game about everyday people that have to gather the guts and scarce resources they have to hide and try to make a change (even knowing that for the most part they won't change anything even if they kill that monster or save that person), what's the tonal and thematic difference of bluebook, Reckoning and Vigil? (I'd also like to integrate the GM in the chronicle maybe).

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

HtR:
  • You have powers. They might be lovely, they might be extremely limited-utility, they might only do anything around monsters. But you are already marked as different, and have to grapple with whether this makes you an agent of god or a monster whose prey has bigger fangs or what.
  • Your choice changed what you are. Your reaction to your inciting incident didn't render you a Bystander, cursed to witness but not empowered to intervene. You're already off on the right foot, even if that foot makes you think you're crazy.
  • You are Way the gently caress outnumbered. There are a hundred things in the metaplot that could kill you, and a dozen more outlined in your book. You don't have to use the oWoD metaplot, but it's there if you want it.

HtV:
[list][*]You might just be A Person. Unless you're descended from demons or requisitioned poo poo from a government agency or have potions or pills or artifacts from your org, you have no better weapon than research and tenacity.
[*]You never know what you're going to run into. nWoD is a toolkit setting and the rules outlined in blue book + core HtV are all about idiosyncratic one-offs. Like half the poo poo in the Horror Recognition Guide (mandatory reading if you're running any game now that you've read this sentence, I condemn you to this happy fate) isn't really easily described via game rules, because it's just Weird poo poo Being Weird. And that's fun sometimes.

In my Reckoning games, players can't choose their edges and I decide their creed based solely on their way of reacting. The only power they can control is the "Monster vision" or whatever they call it. I like to emphasize that they aren't really different from some low-tier supernaturals. I like them thinking they're crazy and not being able to tell anyone that's not a hunter, and I like them being outnumbered.

I might insert some normal humans that just notice weird stuff, and I might give the HRG a read to use some of the stuff. I like oWoD metaplot but I use it extremely loosely in my games.

Okay, it seems i'll still go with Reckoning! I might swap the Heralds for the God Machine though.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Pope Guilty posted:

If memory serves that's what really incites the Messengers to start Imbuing people- ghosts and zombies are really supposed to be the default Reckoning antagonist.

Yes. Also remember that the 6th Maelstrom is the one that cracks the Abyss and lets some Demons out, and that the Week of Nightmares had happened just some months before. It's stated in the book that Imbued are rare before 1999, which is a bummer since it prevents you from using the line in a historical setting (without destroying canon).

Kavak posted:

There were other issues. I'm paraphrasing myself from last summer, but Reckoning was the start of the World of Darkness' tie-in to Exalted (The Imbued were supposed to be Solars). They very quickly realized how bad an idea that was and dropped the plan from both games, but it irrevocably messed up the concept. The were also using it as a replacement/sequel for Wraith, as I recall ghosts and zombies were one of the few things you could fight without getting rekt.

The Exalted/Reckoning tie in is hinted at, but as you said yourself, they realized it was a bad idea so it can be completely ignored. The replacement/sequel for Wraith was more Orpheus than Reckoning IMO, although Reckoning shines when it's against the effects of the maelstrom.

Cable fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 22, 2015

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I haven't read HtV or minor splats in nWoD so let me ask: is there any concept similar in nWoD to what the Imbued from HtR are?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I bought the VtR 2.0 PDF on DriveThruRPG, now I'd like to get a physical copy. Is there any way of having a discount so it'll match the pdf + paper copy bundle price, or I unadvertedly went through the most expensive way of buying these books?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Jhet posted:

I imagine yes? I've been waiting for Mage 2e to come to book form and now it has. I did not expect to be able to 'complete the bundle' once the physical copy was available. That said, there are a bunch of people in comments talking abut discount coupons having been sent via email to buy the hardcover if you've already bought the PDF previously. I think you may be SOL if you bought the PDF with the hardcover already released.

I'm fairly sure i'm not eligible since I just bought the pdf a couple weeks ago. Oh well!

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I mostly avoid playing with established RPG nerds, so I've only directed both vampires and Hunter: tR in my life. I'd like to get some new books, I'm looking at Vigil and Awakening, but I'm not sure if I could run a game of these without the players needing to read a book for it (I mean, not even reading the corebook). Would this be possible at all? Normally when I've run games I help them create the sheets and rely on myself a lot for the system-side of things, but I'm not so sure if these games are apt for it.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Well, I feel safe to say that all the people in this thread are much more invested in WoD/RPGs than the average person. Some people play with other RPG fans and that's fine, but I like to play with my friends/relatives who aren't invested enough to read what all attributes and skills and powers are. I explain them the bare minimum so they can make relatively free choices about their character and remind them that they can do certain things at certain times if I consider it in-context enough. We have fun and all, I just would like to change the game!

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Kibner posted:

Is there a particular kind of story, aesthetic, themes, etc. kind of game you want to play? There may be something better suited as CoD and (I assume) WoD are pretty mechanics heavy by default.

Well, I've been used to playing Vampire and Hunter for the best part of my life, I really like occult, secret-society stuff happening to normal people.

EDIT: What about playing the core CofD? That seems something that could be enough to run the stories I want - does it have enough tools to play around?

Cable fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 30, 2017

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Further Reading posted:

A low tier Vigil game is probably the easiest for a non-reader group as it's mainly just figuring out which nouns make up your dice pool. At most they'll need to read merits but anything else is easy to explain in an elevator pitch. Best thing about Vigil with non-wod fans is they won't be able to metagame by knowing mechanics from the other gamelines.

Awakening needs a read of the books as the magic system can be hard to wrap your head around.

Okay, then I'll discard Mage for now :(

What's the difference between Vigil and core CofD 2.0? I don't want the players to necessarily approach the supernatural in a violent fashion, if that's what -hunting- is about in Vigil. Actually in my Reckoning games, violence was the smallest fraction of interactions between the players and "monsters".

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I heard V5 finally released and have been seeing not great reception. I want to launch a game set on oWod - should I stick to V20/B&S with translation guide? Or V5 is not that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Just came here to say that I'm reading "The Master and Margarita" and it's basically a Ravnos clan novel set in Soviet Russia.