Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Thread title works perfectly in a God Machine sense :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

What's the word on V20 Dark Ages? I'll never get to use it, but is it fun reading?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Where did the whole katana/shades/trenchcoat thing really spawn from anyway?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

It was not the game I intended to run, but I'm extremely glad it happened

This applies to almost all my game running stories.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Could someone link me to that massive post (I believe on another forum) that explained cWoD pretty heavily? I remember seeing it here first.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Thanks. I dunno how accurate it is either, but there was something I needed to check on after a discussion with a friend about Caine.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Is it sad I see this and the first thing I think is "Oh poo poo a Tzimisce sculptor?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Mage, Promethean, or Hunter, you could build a whole campaign around this MacGuffin: Red Mercury

Isn't there a Hunter compact/conspiracy that's basically a bunch of Alex Jones nutjobs who *think* they're in a conspiracy and unwittingly are being played by other, higher tier factions?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

They want a series on Netflix or similar within a couple of years

I know it's a longshot, but this could be really wonderful if done right. Each season focuses on a different line, like one for Vampire, then Mage, and taking place in a different part of the country but with references of events that happened in the previous season and so forth.

Guy can dream. Exciting news though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Randomly found this podcast just now

http://networkzero.podbean.com/

I'm only aware of Darker Days for WoD podcasts, so I'm giving this a listen!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

You're right! My bad. I'm liking it so far though. I'm pretty excited for the new releases though I wish MtA 2nd ed would hurry up and get here soon!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Network Zero is the "CofD only" arm of Darker Days, there's also Midnight Express which focuses only on the "Old World of Darkness"
http://midnightexpress.podbean.com/

I'll give that a listen, too! Thanks

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I picked up Mage: the Ascension 20 and I love it so far. What other books could I peruse for inspiration for it, not necessarily for expanded rules?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Tons of awesome links

Thanks for posting these, should help kill some time at work! I'm really hyped for 2nd ed, hope I can convince my group to play.

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 14, 2016

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

Is Vampire still my best bet for that or one of the other settings?

I think if you want balls-to-the-wall kind of results, Mage is your game, which has 2nd edition coming out soon. Turn sound into gold! Become electricity and teleport through dial-up modems!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

bewilderment posted:

How does that change the kind of person you are and the society you live in?

That's pretty much what the players find out in the game, I guess. I haven't gotten to run any Mage (only run Hunter a few sessions and loved it) but through living vicariously by others PbPs and podcasts, Mage seems to be very player driven with the ST reacting instead of provoking. What the players choose to pursue, create and destroy is the answer to the "What would this character do given incredible amounts of power?"

Which case I would just love to roll a gym rat Silver Arrow.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Just give me one more Bloodlines on PC and gently caress the IP you can have it back.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

At what point does it becomes the storytellers fault that players are dead at the end of an encounter? Most issues can be solved with liberal application of guns in HtV. But what about monsters that dont give a gently caress about bullets?

Part of the aspect I tried to really convey to my players during our Hunter sessions was "be like Batman," and don't just go rushing in guns blazing, since lots of stuff laughs at bullets in this game.

We never got far enough to really enact some plans, but a couple players were already starting to hoard various weapons and research tactics on certain monsters :unsmith:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

http://www.vampyr-game.com/

So here's something interesting. Edwardian era vampire stuff, I wonder if you play as one-of-a-kind bloodsucker or if there's an actual society going on. Pretty much going to be my fix until we get an actual VTM game... someday? I can only replay Bloodlines so many times!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

Any Bloodlines game is gonna be 90s as gently caress and we all know it.

What would a Millennial as gently caress VTM game be like, I wonder. I can imagine a human arm turned into a selfie-stick with vicissitude to take blurry shots with.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Reene posted:

I am going to run goddamn loving Mageball at long last if it kills me

Mageball?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I wanna play Mageball, holy poo poo.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Loomer posted:

For some bizarre reason there's interest at my law school about a VtM game, and someone approached me and asked if I knew anything about the game because they knew I did a bit of tabletop stuff with friends. I can think of very little more terrifying than a table full of lawyers all pretending to be vampires.

"Let me tell you about the True Black Hand."

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Loomer posted:

For something frightening, Grandma's spectre invasion unleashes a full 198,000 spectres on the world if you follow the maths.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Man I wish I could get an Aberrant group running. My friends are all superhero comic dorks but want nothing to do with the ST system.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Hey Loomer all that stuff was amazing, thanks for the interesting reads on the long drive out of South Dakota!

Out of curiousity, how much stuff in the Midwest sees attention in the books? I know there's a book for Chicago and some information on Detroit.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

That's a lot more terrifying than most of the monstrous horrors that come forth to literally eat the world in the other lines, good lord.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Yo Loomer every time you talk about The Project this is what I picture you as, like the House of Leaves guy but with RPG books from the 90s.

But seriously, is Time of Judgement seems so hit-or-miss with the resolutions. Doesn't Caine and Abel both battle in the VTM scenario while the PCs chill in a church?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I had no idea about Mortal Remains! I gotta check that out.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Loomer posted:

Edit: gently caress it, have a sample.

A grown-rear end man wrote that. And thought it was good. So did other people. And they published it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Is that AJ Styles. I'm so confused...

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I had one of those for the first time a few weeks ago in the UP.

It needed a little ketchup.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Anyone know what the current form Hunter: The Vigil 2nd Ed. is taking? I know it's a ways out but I'm looking forward to it!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I know I'm in the middle of Magechat but I just started a Hunter interest group with some friends.

Is the best route to use the Chronicles of Darkness rules with the Hunter template on, or is there some... Errata out there since the Hunter book is from before those changes?

I'm so excited to run a game again!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Awesome, thanks!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I recently posted about starting a Hunter group with my friends. Whoever suggested the Horror Recognition Guide was spot on, it was a great read.

I have a couple of questions though about one of the stories that involved the Seers of the Throne.

I've read Mage some but I'm a bit confused how their possession of people worked. Specifically how, if a Mage is possessing someone and that person is killed, does that kill the Mage?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I've been churning over ideas for my first Hunter session with my new group. I've narrowed it down to three options:

1. Cancer cell: A neighboring Hunter cell disappears off the grid unexpectedly. Each member stops posting on the local neighborhood forum, relatives and bowling buddies inquire where they went. Hopefully without railroading my players, they would have a natural curiousity to track down the missing Hunters, leading to their cabin-in-the-woods safehouse that was breached, and find clues showing the cell may have been taken down from the inside.
Incredibly cheesy I know, but it seems like a good mix of investigation, socializing and eventually some fists and guns near the end. It could also be a good way to drop more story hooks in as they search through the group's notes.

2. MENergy: Lately, testosterone replacement clinics are popping up like weeds, promising awesome results for dirt cheap treatments. Some of the clinics are "legit" while others are using newer, revolutionary means to "help" their patients. A spike in the population of gym buffs and swole dudes becomes noticeable as the City enters a MENaissance .
But violent crime spikes as well, with some patients newfound strength leading them to one man riots that seem to have an underlying purpose. Side effects may include sick abs, burstin quads and murder for foul gods beyond our ken.
This is my more lighthearted option as the players would investigate what these drugs are, which is why I inquired about the Seers earlier wanting to dominate people's brains. (Why dominate a schlub when you have more wannabe Mr. Olympias walking around?)

3. [color="blue"]House[/color] of Leaves.
Much, much more straightforward investigation into a spooky [color="blue"]house[/color] where people come in and don't come out the same. Or at all.
Except for a twist I'd think I'd have the [color="blue"]house[/color] more sentient than in the books, even to the point where it moves around when it isn't being observed. It used to be at 1905 Fifth street, now it's at 1907 Fourth Street, etc. Probably a good way to heighten the paranoia levels of the game.

I realize I'm just spitballing here. I imagine the last idea has been done to death before but it'd be new for my group.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

This would be a good way to drop a hint or two leading towards Cheiron if you wanted to go that route as well.

Absolutely. Each hook I think of can split so many different ways. It's Cheiron performing more experiments on an unwitting populace. It's a vampire conspiracy to enslave humanity. It's Seers, Strix, or just plain ol' big shadow government goons.

One of my players made a character who is a hipster trashy socialite who's "in" with everyone worth being cool with in town. The twist, he's an avid truther, infowars.com bumper sticker Illuminati seeker.

It's almost too easy.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I like this one. Yeah it's cliche, but cliches are cliches for a reason - they work, they're satisfying, and they're not difficult to execute. In my experience it's always best to stick with more straight-forward narratives with a newer group, everyone is still figuring out the social order and a more classic story is a good way for everyone to sound out their position in the group dynamic.

Ultimately it's most likely what I'll go with. Could be a decent way to explain some of the facets of the game in a show, don't tell way.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Both pretty tempting options. I'm thinking of making it either something that's the tip of a larger conspiracy, perhaps tied to TFV having a particular vendetta against the now destroyed cell using it as a opportunity to send out a skin changing, brainwashed assassin posing as a fellow hunter.

I read a lot the last few days about MKULTRA and holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Shiiiiiiiiit where's that gif of that kid smacking a signpost and it changes from 20 to 21 when it hits him back.